Can you help me refute this claim that Jesus isn't the messiah?

DiscipleEthan

Sep 23, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
Visit site
✟17,384.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I was browsing around and saw a Jews for Judaism page that contained reasons why they think Jesus isn't the messiah. I'd like help in refuting this one in particular:

The Messiah must be from the Tribe of Judah and a Descendant of King David AND King Solomon
The Messiah must be a member of the tribe of Judah (Genesis 49:10) and a direct descendant of King David & King Solomon (2 Samuel 7:12-14;1 Chronicles 22:9-10). Genealogy in the Bible is only passed down from father to son (Numbers 1:1-18).
There is no evidence that Jesus really had this pedigree, and the Christian Bible actually claims that he did not have a "birth-father" from the tribe of Judah descending from King David and King Solomon (Matt. 1:18-20).

How would you guys respond to this claim?

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I was browsing around and saw a Jews for Judaism page that contained reasons why they think Jesus isn't the messiah. I'd like help in refuting this one in particular:

The Messiah must be from the Tribe of Judah and a Descendant of King David AND King Solomon
The Messiah must be a member of the tribe of Judah (Genesis 49:10) and a direct descendant of King David & King Solomon (2 Samuel 7:12-14;1 Chronicles 22:9-10). Genealogy in the Bible is only passed down from father to son (Numbers 1:1-18).
There is no evidence that Jesus really had this pedigree, and the Christian Bible actually claims that he did not have a "birth-father" from the tribe of Judah descending from King David and King Solomon (Matt. 1:18-20).

If the Lord himself could not convince them then I very much doubt I would be any more successful.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian

Here is a a link to a series of discussion that addresses Jewish objections to Jesus:

http://www.bethimmanuel.org/audio/series/26-answers-26-reasons

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Judaism would not exist today if Israel had accepted Christ as their Messiah-King. Even those Gentile wise men who came to worship Him at His birth recognized His Star and asked Herod "Where is He that is born KING OF THE JEWS?" (Mt 2:2). They were aware of these prophecies regarding Christ the King of the Jews (Num 24:17): I shall see him, but not now: I shall behold him, but not nigh: there shall come a Star out of Jacob, and a Sceptre shall rise out of Israel, and shall smite the corners of Moab, and destroy all the children of Sheth. That Sceptre could only come out of the tribe of Judah (Gen 49:10): The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh come; and unto him shall the gathering of the people be. Shiloh is another name for Jesus.

Christians do not have to refute the opposition of those who reject their own Messiah. But if a Jew wants the truth, then the New Testament is the Word of God as much as the OT. And in both Matthew and Luke we have the genealogy of Christ as belonging to the line of David and the tribe of Judah. We also have numerous fulfilled prophecies establishing that He is both the Son of God as well as the "son" of David, yet David calls Him "Lord". There are many Messianic Jews today who will affirm that Yeshua is truly ha Mashiach.

Reactions: Winepress777
Upvote 0

Winepress777

Jun 8, 2015
✟8,905.00
Faith
Christian
Judaism would not exist today if Israel had accepted Christ as their Messiah-King. Even those Gentile wise men who came to worship Him at His birth recognized His Star and asked Herod "Where is He that is born KING OF THE JEWS?" (Mt 2:2). They were aware of these prophecies regarding Christ the King of the Jews (Num 24:17): I shall see him, but not now: I shall behold him, but not nigh: there shall come a Star out of Jacob, and a Sceptre shall rise out of Israel, and shall smite the corners of Moab, and destroy all the children of Sheth. That Sceptre could only come out of the tribe of Judah (Gen 49:10): The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh come; and unto him shall the gathering of the people be. Shiloh is another name for Jesus.

Christians do not have to refute the opposition of those who reject their own Messiah. But if a Jew wants the truth, then the New Testament is the Word of God as much as the OT. And in both Matthew and Luke we have the genealogy of Christ as belonging to the line of David and the tribe of Judah. We also have numerous fulfilled prophecies establishing that He is both the Son of God as well as the "son" of David, yet David calls Him "Lord". There are many Messianic Jews today who will affirm that Yeshua is truly ha Mashiach.
Yes

Upvote 0

samcarternx

saint
Jul 17, 2010
✟16,463.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Tell him that if Jesus is not the messiah none of us have any chance of salvation. The blood of bulls and goats will not pay the debt our sins owe. It took a perfect sacrifice, and there was no man worthy to die for us. but praise God He provided His son to be our sacrifice and He was and now we can be free of sin and death.

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
In the past I have read pretty detail descriptions of Mat. and Lk. about what they are saying with their genealogies. Clearly that was important to people's thinking in the NT times as part of who Jesus was. while I studied all this before the internet was around, back in the 70's, and have no interest in going over all these things again. I'd recommend anyone who want to answer questions and differing points of view on the Bible to do the search themselves. Every question you can imagine has had some one search out as far as their is historical knowledge to find. If there isn't historical knowledge there are theological answers etc.

I'd say there is more fun in searching, finding and learning than just reading a simple answer. Be sure to read different points of view and find an answer for yourself.
Not all people are honest in presenting all the data, some just pick the date that supports their view, even people who I consider good Christians.

Upvote 0

joshuanazar

Servant
Mar 29, 2015
In Christ
✟8,815.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God told David that the throne will never leave from his house, but he also told the last king of Judah that his children would not inherit the throne. So Joseph is descended from Solomon and Mary was descended from Nathan another of David's children. And I am pretty sure that a person can still inherit the throne through adoption, (after all we did).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums