Can you get possessed by watching scary movies?

baptistgirl21

Nov 16, 2013
✟25,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I watch a lot of scary movies. There's something about it that just makes them so addicting. My favorites are the demonic kind. I was talking to my sister tonight and told her that one of my favorite movie is the conjuring 2 and she was so shocked and told me to never watch that movie because I could get possessed. I am having a hard time believing her because I've watched the exorcist 22 times and have never been possessed. The conjuring 2 and insidious are my favorites. I feel so weird saying this on a Christian Forum website but I might as well be truthful. right? Anyways, should I take this seriously and stop watching the conjuring and the conjuring part 2? I mean, what harm could it really do? I quit witchcraft so I should be fine. right? I used to do witchcraft a lot when i was 13 but quit for a while. I used an online ouija board a few months ago but i'm starting to think that was harmless because it's online and not the real thing. I am weak minded but I can control myself when it comes to having urges to do witchcraft. I mean I think I do.

Kiterius

CF's Favorite Member
Dec 24, 2016
Earth
✟32,893.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I watch a lot of scary movies. There's something about it that just makes them so addicting. My favorites are the demonic kind. I was talking to my sister tonight and told her that one of my favorite movie is the conjuring 2 and she was so shocked and told me to never watch that movie because I could get possessed. I am having a hard time believing her because I've watched the exorcist 22 times and have never been possessed. The conjuring 2 and insidious are my favorites. I feel so weird saying this on a Christian Forum website but I might as well be truthful. right? Anyways, should I take this seriously and stop watching the conjuring and the conjuring part 2? I mean, what harm could it really do? I quit witchcraft so I should be fine. right? I used to do witchcraft a lot when i was 13 but quit for a while. I used an online ouija board a few months ago but i'm starting to think that was harmless because it's online and not the real thing. I am weak minded but I can control myself when it comes to having urges to do witchcraft. I mean I think I do.

No. Indeed, Christ-followers cannot become possessed. We're already owned by the Spirit of God who owns and seals us. Having marked us as her own, she's not about to let any demon come within us. While I would suggest watching movies other than horror flicks, because I believe watching more wholesome movies is better for your thinking, you can't be possessed by anything.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
People who are born again cannot be possessed, you may however wish to read Romans 7 and apply 1 John 1:9 if the sin indwelling your body is acting off the memories of your dead self.

• Agree
Reactions: Kiterius
Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟836,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Before I became a Christian, I was heavy into horror movies. I wrote books on them, I watched them, I had the posters on my wall. Once I became a Christian, I felt the need to put all of that away. My main focus was on my relationship with God and bettering myself.

But after my dad died in a work accident, I found myself drifting away from God. I was sliding back into my former ways and got back into horror. I wrote this amazing, but crazy horror novel that I got published. I was watching them all. Loved all the demonic movies, and the slashers.
I thought it was completely harmless. I'm a Christian. But people stopped wanting to hang around with me. Different people, who had no contact with each other, felt there was something off about me. I had changed and they could feel something dark hanging around me and it made them feel uncomfortable.

When one person tells you that, you shrug it off. When several do, then you know something is going on. For the longest time I thought nothing was wrong, but I was acting different even. I got spooked. I started seeing things in the shadows at night and having nightmares.

I got fed up and spoke with my pastor about it. I vowed to get rid of all the horror movies and did. He anointed me and the church prayed over and I gave myself back to Christ and have never looked back. Now I can't even stand the idea of a horror movie. If it's on TV, I can't linger for even a second and feel dirty.

So, you might not feel anything personally, but it is really harmful for you to see evil to that degree.

Philippians 4:8 says, "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things."

Upvote 0

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I would say that many things can play a role that (taken together) could lead to some form of demonic oppression / possession. Including proudly thinking, 'Oh, that could never happen to me.'

Satan did enter Judas who was one of the twelve apostles...

John 13:21-27

Strongly suggest watching less and less demonic type stuff, and more and more edifying to the faith of Christ kind.

Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners. <---> 1st Corinthians 15:33

• Agree
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

TurtleAnne

Dec 25, 2016
Michigan U.S.
✟20,919.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've watched the exorcist 22 times and have never been possessed

I disagree with the notion that watching a movie can make someone possessed, but I have read some material about the difference between possession and oppression, in regards to demons. In the case of oppression, the word used most commonly (that I have seen, anyway) is "deliverance" as far as how to approach the situation, compared to "exorcism" for possession.

And I do think that some types of entertainment materials can contribute to oppression, even if just subconsciously. For example movies where it shown that demons are more powerful than Jesus, i.e. do not respond to being banished in the name of Jesus but just continue to possess and wreak havoc unabated.

Luke 10 - And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name.

Mark 16 - And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils

So what sort of message is a movie sending when the name of Jesus is used by a God-serving man against demons, and the demons continue to prevail and the only way to stop the demon is for the guy to kill himself? (If I am understanding this plot I am reading online correctly.)

So that is the angle over which I would personally be cautious.

Upvote 0

Kiterius

CF's Favorite Member
Dec 24, 2016
Earth
✟32,893.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I would say that many things can play a role that (taken together) could lead to some form of demonic oppression / possession. Including proudly thinking, 'Oh, that could never happen to me.'

Satan did enter Judas who was one of the twelve apostles...

John 13:21-27

Strongly suggest watching less and less demonic type stuff, and more and more edifying to the faith of Christ kind.

Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners. <---> 1st Corinthians 15:33

Satan could enter Judas because the Spirit of God had not. ;)

• Winner
Reactions: Winken
Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When did you become a Christian? What was your statement of faith?
Are you in fact a Christian?

If you are truly a Christian you can't be possessed, but you are opening up your old sinful nature to miles of oppression and deceit. Junk it all, including the Ouija Board. Go to 1 John 1:9, repent, and thank God that HE belongs to you, not outlandish evil. Get rid ot it. It is a real mind polluter.

Reactions: Kiterius
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Satan could enter Judas because the Spirit of God had not. ;)

You could say that...though more to the point, Satan entered Judas because it was his lot to betray the innocent blood.

John 6:70 & John 13:18

Also who is the undeniable authority who can declare who The Spirit of God 'has entered' and who He has not ?

Extreme self-confidence is often a by product of satanic deception.

Matthew 7:21-23

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,159.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

I like Conjuring 1 more. Conjuring 2 isn't as scary. What I really find scariest are the Paranormal Activity series maybe because the cinematography makes you think it really happened.

About your question of being possessed. My answer is uncertain. So perhaps, you might want to err on the side of caution.

Me and my sister used to do the ouija board and pentagrams in the ground in my teens. One of our granny is a sorceress.

I would advice against dabbling with the occult! For many times, I felt almost getting possessed.

There were times when I was asleep, strange things happened to the house that my sister witnessed. Things moving on their own, the room shaking, the windows opening by themselves (without any wind), strange noises that defies any explanation. Our house is not haunted. The manifestation actually follows me around so if I stay in another house even thousands of miles away, it would still manifest. No house is immune even if there are devout Christians living in it.

The supernatural manifestations never stopped in my life. It still happens from time to time but a lot less now and not as bad as it was in my teens. It is quite manageable and not bothersome today.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

the whole point here is that of the 5 senses only two of those senses have no automatic defense system;
1. the ears (hearing)
2. the eyes. (seeing)

and unfortunately both of those senses feed right into the brain with no filter inbetween. so whatever you see and hear is stored there for instant replays at a later date.
and all of the justification of thinking that this isn't affecting you is exactly that--justification to keep on doing it, which in turn feeds upon
your need to see and experience this sort of thing.

It's a destructive cycle that should be broken while you still can,
but the decision to break the habit is up to you.

• Winner
Reactions: Winken
Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I Know someone at a NIV church who got possessed from using a wigi board and the pastor had to cast the demons out of the kids.

But I am not sure with movies, however if you ask if it's good for a christian to watch one then no I would say. A lot feature devils/demons and such. It's your choice though.

God bless

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Hi baptistgirl21,

I think a Christian 'can' watch horror movies and even do so without becoming possessed. Personally, I like the classic monster movies best because they are more philosophically complex than modern horror movies tend to be, but I've seen a dozen or so of the more modern horror movies during the span of my lifetime, some of have which involved the theme of "possession" and demonic presence. I've seen the first Conjuring movie, The Rite, and a few others like these as well.

The problem I have most with these modern horror movies is that each time I watch them, I come away thinking four things: 1) the theology (or demonology) was faulty, 2) because it was faulty, it wasn't 'scary,' 3) since it wasn't scary (nor even philosophically intriguing), then it was a waste of my time, 4) because it was a waste of my time, I began to wonder where my Bride of Frankenstein DVD was at. :D

:cool:
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I Know someone at a NIV church who got possessed from using a wigi board and the pastor had to cast the demons out of the kids.

But I am not sure with movies, however if you ask if it's good for a christian to watch one then no I would say. A lot feature devils/demons and such. It's your choice though.

God bless
Actually, if the defiled things of the world are attractive,
who is LORD ?

When JESUS IS LORD, it is HIS CHOICE - HE is LORD of a persons whole life, or not at all.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I can't comment on the demonic part, but I will say that thise movies -- like a lot of movies -- are largely the same thing over and over. You seek them out looking for the same charge or thrill because it "feels good" to chase those sensations.

This is a lot of what people are looking for in entertainment, horror or not. In my opinion, it's best to limit this. Cut out half of it and dedicate that time to something else. Friends, reading, studying something. Make something that you pursue just for a thrill a smaller part of your life rather than letting it take over.

You'll also enjoy it more that way. So, win-win.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Actually, if the defiled things of the world are attractive,
who is LORD ?

When JESUS IS LORD, it is HIS CHOICE - HE is LORD of a persons whole life, or not at all.

The bible says sin brings pleasure but for a season.

So yeah it's attractive but doesn't mean good for us. I'm not saying watching a movie is a sin but yeah. Could be more so a weight tbh, something that could effect walk with god depending on the individual.

• Agree
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0