Can you forgive someone who isn't sorry for wronging you?

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,613.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Is it okay to not forgive them in this case? I mean, they aren't exactly sorry about it, after all. If they were to apologize I would forgive this person immediately, but the fact that they don't even seek forgiveness when they are clearly in the wrong is bothersome. I know I am compelled to pray for them, but do I even feel like it right now? Nope!

>_< Gah. What do you think???????

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is it okay to not forgive them in this case? I mean, they aren't exactly sorry about it, after all. If they were to apologize I would forgive this person immediately, but the fact that they don't even seek forgiveness when they are clearly in the wrong is bothersome. I know I am compelled to pray for them, but do I even feel like it right now? Nope!

Hi Friend of,

I was always under the impression that forgiveness is something we 'give' when another person needs to receive it from us, and it is something he/she wants to accept. So, if there is a person who is a continual perpetrator of wrong against ourselves, but is not sorry in the least, then we're not obliged to 'forgive' them for something that are he/she is not asking forgiveness for.

On the other hand, if we find that we are an incredibly merciful persons, then we could 'forbear' with the perpetrator in the hope that he/she will come around to their senses and stop mistreating us. In fact, we do find 'forbearance' to be a spiritual virtue that is present in the New Testament and is something we should work at in practicing toward other, imperfect people.

However, with that said, I do think we tend to get forbearance and forgiveness confused with each other. But, they are not the same.

This is my view, and I think it is borne out in Scripture.

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

I recommend this short video:

• Agree
Reactions: paul1149
Upvote 0

HenryM

Dec 21, 2016
ZXC
✟32,716.00
Country
Bangladesh
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Maybe you don't need to have active contact with them, but I would suggest it is great if you would forgive them while they are not sorry. Great for you, since that's how you probably make God and Jesus smile, seeing part of their Church, you, acting as mighty as possible. And it's great for those who you are forgiving, even though they don't realize it.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

I have the same thing. Someone caused me and my family trouble for years, they are not sorry, and I don't think I can forgive them, nor do I want to. I feel like they don't deserve it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi friend of,

I think it good for those living a life following Jesus to understand that he said our forgiveness from our Father is based on our own ability to forgive others. I think it also good to keep in mind that forgiveness isn't always about letting the other person off the hook, but allows us to let ourselves off the hook. We should always be quick to forgive...according to the Scriptures.

You do what you feel is right.

God bless you,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Does God forgive anyone who does not Repent?

It is good to pray for those that have transgressed against you.. And it is good to hand all judgement over to God..

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hi friend of,

I think it good for those living a life following Jesus to understand that he said our forgiveness from our Father is based on our own ability to forgive others. I think it also good to keep in mind that forgiveness isn't always about letting the other person off the hook, but allows us to let ourselves off the hook. We should always be quick to forgive...according to the Scriptures.

You do what you feel is right.

God bless you,
In Christ, ted

Doesn't it say in the Old Testament Scriptures to not associate with anyone who wrongs you and is unrepentant?

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Doesn't it say in the Old Testament Scriptures to not associate with anyone who wrongs you and is unrepentant?

Hi CD,

Does it? There are those who think the Scriptures also say not to help those who won't help themselves. Does it? What's your Scriptural reference?

Jesus said, "But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins." Perhaps you've found the great contradiction of the Scriptures.

God bless you,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hi CD,

Does it? There are those who think the Scriptures also say not to help those who won't help themselves. Does it? What's your Scriptural reference?

Jesus said, "But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins." Perhaps you've found the great contradiction of the Scriptures.

God bless you,
In Christ, ted

Turns out the verse I was thinking of is 1 Corinthians 5:11, which is New Testament not Old, my mistake.

Also, the "God helps those who help themselves" thing is from Benjamin Franklin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jezmeyah

member since 7-14-16
Jul 14, 2016
Indiana
✟32,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I don't see anywhere in the teachings of Jesus who taught on forgiving others, that there are any conditions that allow a person not to have to forgive someone.

Jesus spoke very plainly when He said if you do not forgive, then you will not be forgiven.

Mat.6:14-15 "For if you forgive men their trespasses, your Heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive yours."

That is connected with the hope of getting a favorable answer to a request in prayer,

Mrk.11:24-25 "Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. And when you stand to pray, if you hold anything against another, forgive it, so that your Father in heaven will forgive your trespasses as well."

So, forgiving others no matter what, is very important.

I'm aware that one's feelings can be such that they don't want to forgive someone until that person apologizes, but then forgiveness is based on those that you have something against usually because they offended you. It's never based on if the person apologizes.

Forgiveness is an act of the will in obedience to Jesus' word to forgive. We are to forgive others as God in Christ has forgiven us (Eph.4:32).. while we were yet sinners, not yet having repented for our sins (Rom.5:8).

The apostle Paul states that God's forgiveness towards us is His demonstration of Love toward us.
And the apostle Peter said that Love covers the multitude of sin (1 Pet.4:8).

If ours, then for all as well. This proves out in what the apostle John wrote, that Jesus is the propitiation for our sins and for those of the whole world also (1 Jn.2:2).

This is in line with the two greatest commandments that Jesus spoke of, To love God and to love our neighbors as ourselves (Mat.22:37-40).

Peter had the conversation with Jesus concerning how many times Peter should forgive a person who transgresses against him, Peter offered that it be no more than seven times, but Jesus replied that it be seventy times seven times. Mathematically it adds up to four hundred and ninety times, but spiritually Jesus is speaking of a multitude of times that might be never ending (Mat.18:21-22).

That could only be possible when using God's enduring, never ending Love in order to forgive another person who perpetually offends. Or to forgive again that same person for one offense that they ever did to you, but you recall it over and over.

God's great mercy is toward us when we again and again fall into the same temptation or yield to the same trial and fail it over and over. His great love is already prevailing toward us (Ps.117:2) even as we repent each time (1 Jn.1:8-10; 2:1).

We are not expected to forgive someone using our own sense of fairness, because it would be saying that forgiving unconditionally isn't fair. Even as God could have used only His justice concerning our sins, in which case there would not have been any redemption for any of us.

For the scripture says, "None is righteous, no not one." (Rom.3:9-10). But, thank God for His mercy.

We as Christians have been given into our hearts the mercy / lovingkindness of God (Rom.5:5), by which we are able to love those who offend us, by forgiving them before they ever apologize to us.

Then their possible actual apology gets a guaranteed forgiveness without any reservations whatsoever, and a statement from you that they had your forgiveness long ago, and they finally received it.

That would make an excellent opportunity to witness to them of God's love toward them. As it says in Jn.13:34-35 "A new commandment I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so also you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you love one another."

And in Jn.17:20-21 "I am not asking on behalf of them alone, but also on behalf of those who will believe in Me through their message, that all of them may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I am in You. May they also be in Us, so that the world may believe that You sent Me."

And in 1 Cor.5:19-20 "All this is from God, who reconciled us to Himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: that God was reconciling the world to Himself in Christ, not counting men’s trespasses against them. And He has committed to us the message of reconciliation. 20Therefore we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were making His appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ: Be reconciled to God."

In 1 Cor.13 verses 4-8 from the amplified Bible describes the Love of God at work in every believer.. who allows it to be working in them.

"Love endures with patience and serenity, love is kind and thoughtful, and is not jealous or envious; love does not brag and is not proud or arrogant.
It is not rude; it is not self-seeking, it is not provoked [nor overly sensitive and easily angered]; it does not take into account a wrong endured. It does not rejoice at injustice, but rejoices with the truth [when right and truth prevail].
Love bears all things [regardless of what comes], believes all things [looking for the best in each one], hopes all things [remaining steadfast during difficult times], endures all things [without weakening]. Love never fails [it never fades nor ends]."

We are to treat others as we would want others to treat us. Lk.6:31-32, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them."

If we forgive only those who apologize, then we are no different than sinners. No, there's no justification for withholding forgiveness because we don't feel like forgiving that person.

May the Lord God direct our hearts in the Love of God and steadfastness of Christ (2 Thes.3:5).

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Turns out the verse I was thinking of is 1 Corinthians 5:11, which is New Testament not Old, my mistake.

Also, the "God helps those who help themselves" thing is from Benjamin Franklin.

Hi CD,

Yes, I'm familiar with that verse, but it has nothing to do with forgiving someone. It merely warns us not to have anything to do with certain people.

God bless you,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What did Jesus say? Luke 6:27-37

“27 “But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

32 “If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. 33 And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do that. 34 And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, expecting to be repaid in full.35 But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. 36 Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.”

Upvote 0