Can You Feel the Wind of the Holy Spirit? Like a Cold Breeze?

CoconutPrincess

God is the Father and Jesus is His son.
Apr 7, 2011
Canada
✟708.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post in, but here it goes. I would love to know what you all think.

A friend of my mom's says that she feels the Holy Spirit like a breeze, literally, against her skin. They will be talking about the Lord together and out of the blue she will ask my mom, "Did you feel that?!" and my mom says, "No"... she then says, "it's the wind of the Spirit! I just felt it!". If my mom questions it at all she says, "Believe! Believe!"... basically telling my mom she's doubting, but my mom is just trying to discern and test the spirits.

Now, this woman is a person who spiritualizes everything. She once had sparkles on her pants that were "spreading" and she said it was the Holy Spirit, but there were also sparkles on a book she was holding. Another time she said she saw shapes/shadows on the wall that were Christian symbols (not sure exactly now what they were) but she said they were from God. She also does "prayer retreats" where she shuts herself in a hotel for a weekend in prayer. She said one time she prayed for so long and the Holy Spirit had her in such a state that she could barely make it to the washroom and ended up losing her bowels.

My discernment is really beaming. If this is true, why don't we all feel this Spirit this way, as in like a gentle breeze on our skin? As Christians, we all have Him living inside of us and He doesn't have favorites.

Another thing I ask is why would God do this? Why would he spread sparkles on her pants? Why would He have her in such a state of prayerfulness that she loses her bowls? Why would he show her shadows on a wall? This just doesn't make sense to me.

My mom feels the same way as I do, but said that today when they were out together, when the friend felt the Holy Spirit like a breeze, my mother said she also felt something, like a vibration on her body, but resisted it and said "NO" to it in her mind and it left.

I'm just so confused and I am scared to call something of God, not of God. I don't want to blaspheme the Holy Spirit. I just don't get why the Holy Spirit would touch people with this wind, but not others and why he'd do these other things she said He did.

Any thoughts?

AGTG

Mar 11, 2014
✟6,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I assume it was not God's will that she crapped her drawers. Sometimes people who fast and pray radically can be more radical than God's wants or expects, and their freewill decisions bring about something that God didn't intend.

God always honors us in our weakness, though. I bet God was trying to tell her to get up and go to the bathroom for hours before that even happened. Sometimes people get wrapped up in trying to show God how much they love Him they lose sight of simple wisdom and understanding that God doesn't want us to crap our drawers in fervent reverent prayer. But... You know what humanity is like. Even the best of us have our days where we're trying to prove our love to Him. We don't need to, though.

As far as sparkles go, I've never seen sparkles manifest. I've seen things in the spirit, though. I've seen angels show up in pictures that weren't visible when the picture was being taken.

I've experienced a burning within my heart in prayer many, many times. I asked the Lord what it was and He said, "I'm sprinkling my love upon your heart."

That just about undid me. I hadn't even read Leviticus or Hebrews yet at that point in my walk with Him. The High Priest had to sprinkle blood upon the altar to make it holy. I mean, how do you experience that and not know it's God? :blush: It's more than I can bear sometimes, but I thank Jesus for His loving-kindness.

I suppose the question for you is whether or not you're willing to receive such an experience. It's safe to ask Father God for a greater capacity to receive and experience His love and presence. He will not give you a stone if you ask for bread.

Upvote 0

K2K

Jul 21, 2010
✟50,646.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Before the Lord came into my life I didn't have any weird spiritual things happen in my life. Everything was just normal walking around in this world like everyone else. Then a few strange things started to happen, like wierd goose bumps, strange premonitions, and such. Then one morning a voice suddenly said, "Read Your Bible". It hit me hard and I got a crystal clear vision of my Bible sitting behind my time clock. That was the first vision I had ever gotten.

So I read it, and more strange spiritual things kept happening, and more and more. Now I hear from spirits with my spiritual ears, speak in tongues, see angels at times, and so many many things have happened, it's just hard to explain it all. And now I worship Jesus Christ, but I remember the fourty years before I knew the Lord. I didn't speak in tongues. I hadn't seen or even knew people that had miracles happen in their life, at least that I knew of.

Since, I have opened and run a Christian bookstore, because I heard my Lord ask me to. And I have had times when I have seen like a fog, but it was the spirit of God, which I am certain that others did not see. I have had a spiritual wind blow over me and it felt like a fan was blowing on me and coming directly off a messianic Jewish Rabbi that I had never met before, but it was in a basement where if could not have been a physical wind. I have seen so many things, that I understand others couldn't have know about.

Ok, so is the lady in the OP really picking up spiritual things or just crazy. If it is spiritual things she is probably going to be exicted about them. And if it is spiritual things, others may not know about them. So is all this making her exicted about Jesus Christ? If yes, it is probably the Lord. Is is actually hurting others? If yes, it is probably not the Lord.

Yeah - I suppose it is possible that she is just trying to get attention for herself, on the other hand most people would understand that telling others about these things make them sound crazy.

I understand that. I understand that telling others about the things I can and do now pick up make then think I am a bit crazy.

Never-the-less, I want them to seek the Lord!! Because I see all the things He does and can do, because I know it is possible to get to actually know Him, because I honestly feel that we are just grossly unaware of what goes on around us and so we don't seek God, who is spirit, I put the thins that actually happen and I actually pick up, knowing that it makes me sound a bit crazy.

Of course there are going to be scoffers. There always have been. There are always those that are going to lean on their understanding instead of actually seeking the Lord for explanations.

If it's not effecting you, then you don't have to believe it. But if you are judging it, when and if someone is giving glory to God, instead of actually taking what is said to you by others and listening to the small voice of God, then you don't really believe in God. If you did actually believe in God, you would talk to Him on it and hear Him talk to you and tell you about it.

But beware. If our scoffing has gotten us judging others who aren't hurting anyone, and are crediting God with working wonders, then you will probably find yourself scoffing at God.

It is written love believeth, or trusts all things. It is also written that we are to take all things to God in prayer. So what about someone that doesn't believe things and doesn't take that disbelief to God in prayer, and listen to what He has to say to them?

As for me, I have seen the Lord send spiritual winds, spiritual clouds, flashes of light, a spiritual hand on my head, a spiritual rain, angels, and so very much more. That along with physical manifestations like a couple of dozen healings, physical rain on hot cloudless days, snow as a sign in the afternoon in a place that doesn't get snow, and the dead raised.

So if you want to know, seek the Lord Jesus Christ. Get to know Him. Talk to Him and listen to Him. Develope a relationship with Him, so that you can ask Him to show out about these things. Then perhaps you will be a believer in the supernatural.

Yeah - not everything that is spiritual is from Him. But how are you really going to know what is or isn't unless you actually start talking to Him? Are you going to follow the spiritual bind? Are you going to ask people that don't see visions, that rarely see God heal others, that don't listen to His voice are get spiritual things happening in their life on a regular bases? Best you turn to Jesus Christ and get to know Him!

Yeah, there are people that I go "Wow, did you feel that?" and they look at me like they havn't a clue, and then again there are others. When I saw the spiritual rain coming down in the church I was at, another member up the church stood up and proclaimed "It is raining. It is raining right here in the middle section", which was exactly where I saw it raining also.

Upvote 0

CoconutPrincess

Apr 7, 2011
Canada
✟708.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Since studying this more I do not believe this is of the Holy Spirit. What would be the point? Seeing a cloud, flash, rain, wind, etc. what is the point of it all? It creates division in the body of Christ and that is not what God wants for His people. In these last days, Christians are running after signs, wonders, miracles and "experiences". The Bible talks about this. Satan and his demons can create these experiences and he is out to deceive Christians so we take our eyes of Christ. I would encourage anyone who is seeking these things to watch this documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA0It1CkMxo

Upvote 0

AGTG

Mar 11, 2014
✟6,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Since studying this more I do not believe this is of the Holy Spirit. What would be the point? Seeing a cloud, flash, rain, wind, etc. what is the point of it all? It creates division in the body of Christ and that is not what God wants for His people. In these last days, Christians are running after signs, wonders, miracles and "experiences".

I suppose Moses was chasing signs and wonders and experiences when he asked God if he could see His glory?

Exodus 33
Moses said, “Please show me your glory.” 19 And he said, “I will make all my goodness pass before you and will proclaim before you my name ‘The LORD.’

Were the disciples on the road to Emmaus deluded when their hearts burned within them upon hearing the teachings of a man they didn't even recognize as Jesus?

Luke 24
32 They said to each other, “Did not our hearts burn within us while he talked to us on the road, while he opened to us the Scriptures?”

Did Jacob not wrestle with God?

Genesis 32
24 And Jacob was left alone. And a man wrestled with him until the breaking of the day. 25 When the man saw that he did not prevail against Jacob, he touched his hip socket, and Jacob's hip was put out of joint as he wrestled with him. 26 Then he said, “Let me go, for the day has broken.” But Jacob said, “I will not let you go unless you bless me.” 27 And he said to him, “What is your name?” And he said, “Jacob.” 28 Then he said, “Your name shall no longer be called Jacob, but Israel, for you have striven with God and with men, and have prevailed.” 29 Then Jacob asked him, “Please tell me your name.” But he said, “Why is it that you ask my name?” And there he blessed him. 30 So Jacob called the name of the place Peniel,[c] saying, “For I have seen God face to face, and yet my life has been delivered.”

Some wise man of God once said, "The problem with Christians these days is they've got a big devil and a little God."

Two simple truths:

#1: God doesn't change:

Malachi 3:6
"I the LORD do not change..."

#2: You can trust your heavenly Father:

Luke 11
9 And I tell you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 10 For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened. 11 What father among you, if his son asks for4 a fish, will instead of a fish give him a serpent; 12 or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? 13 If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”

Upvote 0

CoconutPrincess

Apr 7, 2011
Canada
✟708.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I suppose Moses was chasing signs and wonders and experiences when he asked God if he could see His glory?

Exodus 33
Moses said, “Please show me your glory.” 19 And he said, “I will make all my goodness pass before you and will proclaim before you my name ‘The LORD.’

Were the disciples on the road to Emmaus deluded when their hearts burned within them upon hearing the teachings of a man they didn't even recognize as Jesus?

Luke 24
32 They said to each other, “Did not our hearts burn within us while he talked to us on the road, while he opened to us the Scriptures?”

Did Jacob not wrestle with God?

Genesis 32
24 And Jacob was left alone. And a man wrestled with him until the breaking of the day. 25 When the man saw that he did not prevail against Jacob, he touched his hip socket, and Jacob's hip was put out of joint as he wrestled with him. 26 Then he said, “Let me go, for the day has broken.” But Jacob said, “I will not let you go unless you bless me.” 27 And he said to him, “What is your name?” And he said, “Jacob.” 28 Then he said, “Your name shall no longer be called Jacob, but Israel, for you have striven with God and with men, and have prevailed.” 29 Then Jacob asked him, “Please tell me your name.” But he said, “Why is it that you ask my name?” And there he blessed him. 30 So Jacob called the name of the place Peniel,[c] saying, “For I have seen God face to face, and yet my life has been delivered.”

Some wise man of God once said, "The problem with Christians these days is they've got a big devil and a little God."

Two simple truths:

#1: God doesn't change:

Malachi 3:6
"I the LORD do not change..."

#2: You can trust your heavenly Father:

Luke 11
9 And I tell you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 10 For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened. 11 What father among you, if his son asks for4 a fish, will instead of a fish give him a serpent; 12 or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? 13 If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”

Matthew 24:24 For false christs and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.

I guess we will agree to disagree. I highly encourage you to search the scriptures and be sure you are not deceived. The video I posted will help greatly. It shows exactly where these things originated from. I would also be concerned about seeing angels. Be careful. Deception seems like the truth, that's why we can be easily deceived. Shalom.

Upvote 0

AGTG

Mar 11, 2014
✟6,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 24:24 For false christs and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.

I guess we will agree to disagree. I highly encourage you to search the scriptures and be sure you are not deceived. The video I posted will help greatly. It shows exactly where these things originated from. I would also be concerned about seeing angels. Be careful. Deception seems like the truth, that's why we can be easily deceived. Shalom.

By God's grace, I know the scriptures pretty well.

Internet movies that fill young Christians with an unhealthy fear of the supernatural are damaging to the Body of Christ. They credit Satan with far more power than our God.

In the end, as things begin to fall apart, the people will be crying out for supernatural deliverance. And them that seek the delivering power of Jesus will find it. Them that are too afraid to will likely become casualties of bad teachings.

Upvote 0

CoconutPrincess

Apr 7, 2011
Canada
✟708.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
By God's grace, I know the scriptures pretty well.

Internet movies that fill young Christians with an unhealthy fear of the supernatural are damaging to the Body of Christ. They credit Satan with far more power than our God.

In the end, as things begin to fall apart, the people will be crying out for supernatural deliverance. And them that seek the delivering power of Jesus will find it. Them that are too afraid to will likely become casualties of bad teachings.

I believe if you watched the documentary, it would open your eyes to the truth regarding this topic. We'll leave it at that, I guess.

Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"A friend of my mom's says that she feels the Holy Spirit like a breeze, literally, against her skin."

This isn't unusual over the last 50 years in Full Gospel meetings, a "Cool Breeze" is a known manifestation often in entire congregations when He's present. I've felt it occasionally.

"Now, this woman is a person who spiritualizes everything."

Which SHOULD raise some "Danger flags". "spiritualizing EVERYTHING" is unrealistic, and can lead folks into error if done without discernation.

"I'm just so confused and I am scared to call something of God, not of God. I don't want to blaspheme the Holy Spirit."

I wouldn't worry about that - when some "Super spiritual" person tells ME wild stuff, I just file it in "Pending" and wait for independent confirmation - which normally NEVER comes.

Lots of folks were experiencing "Gold flakes" in meetings, but at $1250/ounce, it didn't hear about "Cleaning crews" in the venues getting rich. it would be interesting to inspect the HVAC systems for residuals.

"I just don't get why the Holy Spirit would touch people with this wind, but not others and why he'd do these other things she said He did."

John 3:8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

God does WHAT He wants, to whomever He wants, any time HE wants. Might be HIM, and it might NOT be.

In my experience, folks who SEEM to be "Spooky" - generally are.

Simple as that.

Upvote 0
A

Andrea411

Since studying this more I do not believe this is of the Holy Spirit. What would be the point? Seeing a cloud, flash, rain, wind, etc. what is the point of it all? It creates division in the body of Christ and that is not what God wants for His people. In these last days, Christians are running after signs, wonders, miracles and "experiences". The Bible talks about this. Satan and his demons can create these experiences and he is out to deceive Christians so we take our eyes of Christ. I would encourage anyone who is seeking these things to watch this documentary:

This guy Paul Flynn and Megiddo movies is an anti-charismatic, anti- Billy Graham heresy hunter ...... why are you posting anti-charismatic videos in this forum?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
A

Andrea411

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post in, but here it goes. I would love to know what you all think.

A friend of my mom's says that she feels the Holy Spirit like a breeze, literally, against her skin. They will be talking about the Lord together and out of the blue she will ask my mom, "Did you feel that?!" and my mom says, "No"... she then says, "it's the wind of the Spirit! I just felt it!". If my mom questions it at all she says, "Believe! Believe!"... basically telling my mom she's doubting, but my mom is just trying to discern and test the spirits.

Now, this woman is a person who spiritualizes everything. She once had sparkles on her pants that were "spreading" and she said it was the Holy Spirit, but there were also sparkles on a book she was holding. Another time she said she saw shapes/shadows on the wall that were Christian symbols (not sure exactly now what they were) but she said they were from God. She also does "prayer retreats" where she shuts herself in a hotel for a weekend in prayer. She said one time she prayed for so long and the Holy Spirit had her in such a state that she could barely make it to the washroom and ended up losing her bowels.

My discernment is really beaming. If this is true, why don't we all feel this Spirit this way, as in like a gentle breeze on our skin? As Christians, we all have Him living inside of us and He doesn't have favorites.

Another thing I ask is why would God do this? Why would he spread sparkles on her pants? Why would He have her in such a state of prayerfulness that she loses her bowls? Why would he show her shadows on a wall? This just doesn't make sense to me.

My mom feels the same way as I do, but said that today when they were out together, when the friend felt the Holy Spirit like a breeze, my mother said she also felt something, like a vibration on her body, but resisted it and said "NO" to it in her mind and it left.

I'm just so confused and I am scared to call something of God, not of God. I don't want to blaspheme the Holy Spirit. I just don't get why the Holy Spirit would touch people with this wind, but not others and why he'd do these other things she said He did.

Any thoughts?
When the Lord blesses one person what does that mean, He has to bless everyone in the identical fashion. That is just carnal immaturity.

You are scared to call something thats not of God, of God. Yet you are not afraid to call the things of God of satan.... ???

That film you posted is from a cessationist who attacks Billy Graham, CS Lewis and evangelicals???? and anyone who does not agree with him.
Be more careful about what you allow into your soul, these people who attribute the works of the Holy Spirit to Satan are far more dangerous than Rick Joyner... or most charismatics. If you want to go to a church that has scheduled the Holy Spirit out, that is up to you but do not disparage we who believe the Lord moves in many wondrous ways today as He has in the past.

Upvote 0
A

Andrea411

I believe if you watched the documentary, it would open your eyes to the truth regarding this topic. We'll leave it at that, I guess.

I watched a good part of your video... it leads people around by their nose condemning everyone and accusing and convicting all... only those that scream HELL FIRE does it applaud. Sad commentary on what you chose to believe and share.
There are many men of faith with wonderful uplifting teachings that will encourage you and others in the faith. they don't need to denigrate anyone else to get their message across.
If you choose to be a cessationist at least find someone who is respectful to others. Ravi Zacharias has many teachings on you tube. Wonderful apologist and defender of the faith. Never needs to put anyone else down. The Lord said "if I be lifted up I will draw all men unto me"... that is the way to share Christ. Lift Jesus.
Don't worry about the breeze on a friends skin - worry about your own mind and heart.... it needs healing.

Upvote 0

Tellastory

Hebrews 13:13
Mar 10, 2013
In God's Hand
✟16,186.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
By His grace & by His help, I would say that what she was feeling as a breeze on her skin was not the Holy Spirit, but the spirit of the antichrist.

1 John 4:1Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. 2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

Most believers mistaken verse 2 as refuting the false teaching that Jesus had never come in the flesh, but not so. This is about testing the spirits and so verse 2 use of the term "is come" is referring to our faith in Jesus Christ as He is presently residing within us.

2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

Therefore the following verse of anyone testifying that Jesus is not within us but outside of us are testifying to the spirit of the antichrist.

3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world. 4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

Those astray would argue the point that we cannot put God in a box; but by removing the line of discernment in testing the spirits, then no one can discern the spirit of the antichrist.

The Holy Spirit is not One to seek anyone's attention by sensational signs in the flesh: the indwelling Holy Spirit points believers to go to the Bridegroom in relating to God the Father by. Only seducing spirits would seek to take the believers eyes off of the Son and that is the purpose of the spirit of the antichrist wherein instead of the "Son" Whom is the Christ, believers are chasing after them to feel them and to "receive" them again.

2 Corinthians 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. 4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

As for those prayer retreats.... wherein the focus is on the Holy Spirit and not on going before that throne of grace where the Bridegroom is:

John 10:1Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber....7 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me....13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

Matthew 6:5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. 6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. 8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

Her bragging about her prayer retreat; she already had received her reward.

Anyway, if anyone preaches about that apostasy wherein they can receive the Holy Spirit again with evidence of tongues, they do so ignoring those warning in testing the spirits.

2 Corinthians 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

I do not doubt that this "other" supernatural experience is real, but they did not test the spirits nor the tongues that came with them for it is not of God. They do err, not knowing the scripture nor His promise.

John 6:33 For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world. 34 Then said they unto him, Lord, evermore give us this bread. 35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

Once you had received Jesus Christ, you can never receive Him again because He promised that we would never hunger nor thirst after we got saved for coming to & believing in Jesus Christ.

Luke 11:9 And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. 10 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. 11 If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? 12 Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? 13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

Jesus is testifying that those after having knocked at the door of Jesus, shall receive the Holy Spirit the first time and never have to receive Him again because to do so would make the Father look like He gave something else the first time and not the Holy Spirit which was given by knocking at the door of Jesus as promised.

So if you feel any spirit outside of you or coming over you when the Holy Spirit is in you by faith in Jesus Christ, that is how you know that is not the real Holy Spirit but a seducing one trying to take your eyes off of the Son which the indwelling Holy Spirit would never do in worship or in prayer.

Believers that are suddenly aware of this truth can repent by going before that throne of grace for help from our Good Shepherd to enable us to shun vain & profane babblings and pray as we ought to normally so that when Jesus answers our known prayers, we can give the Father genuine thanks in Jesus's name which is the will of God for us to do:

2 Timothy 2:16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.....24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, 25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

1 Thessalonians 5: 17 Pray without ceasing. 18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

If we are to pray without ceasing, then any notion of the Holy Spirit cutting inbetween you & your praying before that throne of grace with babbling nonsense is contrary to the will of God for we cannot give thanks for answered prayers of we did not know what we had prayed for. So May He recover us from this snare of the devil for God's glory in answered prayers is knowing what we had prayed for to see those answered prayers to give Him our hearty thanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A

Andrea411

By His grace & by His help, I would say that what she was feeling as a breeze on her skin was not the Holy Spirit, but the spirit of the antichrist.

1 John 4:1Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. 2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

Most believers mistaken verse 2 as refuting the false teaching that Jesus had never come in the flesh, but not so. This is about testing the spirits and so verse 2 use of the term "is come" is referring to our faith in Jesus Christ as He is presently residing within us.

2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

Therefore the following verse of anyone testifying that Jesus is not within us but outside of us are testifying to the spirit of the antichrist.

3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world. 4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

Those astray would argue the point that we cannot put God in a box; but by removing the line of discernment in testing the spirits, then no one can discern the spirit of the antichrist.

The Holy Spirit is not One to seek anyone's attention by sensational signs in the flesh: the indwelling Holy Spirit points believers to go to the Bridegroom in relating to God the Father by. Only seducing spirits would seek to take the believers eyes off of the Son and that is the purpose of the spirit of the antichrist wherein instead of the "Son" Whom is the Christ, believers are chasing after them to feel them and to "receive" them again.

2 Corinthians 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. 4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

As for those prayer retreats.... wherein the focus is on the Holy Spirit and not on going before that throne of grace where the Bridegroom is:

John 10:1Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber....7 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me....13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

Matthew 6:5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. 6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. 8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

Her bragging about her prayer retreat; she already had received her reward.

Anyway, if anyone preaches about that apostasy wherein they can receive the Holy Spirit again with evidence of tongues, they do so ignoring those warning in testing the spirits.

2 Corinthians 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

I do not doubt that this "other" supernatural experience is real, but they did not test the spirits nor the tongues that came with them for it is not of God. They do err, not knowing the scripture nor His promise.

John 6:33 For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world. 34 Then said they unto him, Lord, evermore give us this bread. 35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

Once you had received Jesus Christ, you can never receive Him again because He promised that we would never hunger nor thirst after we got saved for coming to & believing in Jesus Christ.

Luke 11:9 And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. 10 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. 11 If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? 12 Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? 13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

Jesus is testifying that those after having knocked at the door of Jesus, shall receive the Holy Spirit the first time and never have to receive Him again because to do so would make the Father look like He gave something else the first time and not the Holy Spirit which was given by knocking at the door of Jesus as promised.

So if you feel any spirit outside of you or coming over you when the Holy Spirit is in you by faith in Jesus Christ, that is how you know that is not the real Holy Spirit but a seducing one trying to take your eyes off of the Son which the indwelling Holy Spirit would never do in worship or in prayer.

Believers that are suddenly aware of this truth can repent by going before that throne of grace for help from our Good Shepherd to enable us to shun vain & profane babblings and pray as we ought to normally so that when Jesus answers our known prayers, we can give the Father genuine thanks in Jesus's name which is the will of God for us to do:

2 Timothy 2:16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.....24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, 25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

1 Thessalonians 5: 17 Pray without ceasing. 18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

If we are to pray without ceasing, then any notion of the Holy Spirit cutting inbetween you & your praying before that throne of grace with babbling nonsense is contrary to the will of God for we cannot give thanks for answered prayers of we did not know what we had prayed for. So May He recover us from this snare of the devil for God's glory in answered prayers is knowing what we had prayed for to see those answered prayers to give Him our hearty thanks.
Sorry but the only babbling I see is these long run on sentences... and the snare of the devil is denying the presence of the Holy Spirit or quenching the Spirit... obviously the Spirit can be quenched so there are different times the Holy Spirit comes over us and fills us anew... strengthening us or edifying us...

attributing the works of God to satan is a profane babbling.... one of the ways you test the Spirit is to see the fruit produced, not if it agrees with you but do you agree with scripture. Does it make you seek the Lord, Love the lord and honor Him? What is the fruit of the experience. How would the Holy Spirit cutting in be disturbing your prayer life?
Sorry I can't understand half of what your talking about. You need to get some good teaching on Charismatic Christians and see how the Lord is moving across the globe...

Upvote 0

Tellastory

Mar 10, 2013
In God's Hand
✟16,186.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sorry but the only babbling I see is these long run on sentences... and the snare of the devil is denying the presence of the Holy Spirit or quenching the Spirit... obviously the Spirit can be quenched so there are different times the Holy Spirit comes over us and fills us anew... strengthening us or edifying us...

Does that babbling include the scripture as well? If not, then refute the application or don't.

What need does the Holy Spirit have to come over & fill you when He is already within you as promised by faith in Jesus Christ?

And if you really believe that is the Holy Spirit being felt outside of you, then how can you ever discern the spirit of the antichrist when it is also outside of you? If you go by the good feeling of what that spirit brings, then you should really reconsider because there are such a thing as seducing spirits and how else can they be seducing other than bringing good feelings?

attributing the works of God to satan is a profane babbling.... one of the ways you test the Spirit is to see the fruit produced, not if it agrees with you but do you agree with scripture. Does it make you seek the Lord, Love the lord and honor Him? What is the fruit of the experience. How would the Holy Spirit cutting in be disturbing your prayer life?
Sorry I can't understand half of what your talking about. You need to get some good teaching on Charismatic Christians and see how the Lord is moving across the globe...

Let's be clear. There is a supernatural tongue that is in the world that is just babbling nonsense: The Bible testify of it in Isaiah 8:19 of familiar spirits that causes wizards to peep & mutter. This tongue of the devil existed long before that day of Pentecost had come with God's gift of tongues which was of other men's lips to speak unto the people.

To attribute that God's gift of tongues would copycat the devil's supernatural tongue to be used as a prayer language is hardly a believer proving all things including tongues in order to abstain from all appearances of evil.

You would have a problem if your church went to Haiti where voodooists speak in tongues because :

1) If you convert one to christianity; how can anyone tell if he had repented from his former works of darkness?

2) How can this convert to christianity be a good witness to others in voodooism if he still speak in that same kind of babbling nonsense?

3) How can those in Haiti that are neither christian nor into voodooism but know of the practise of voodooism would believe that no compromises is being done in christianity, let alone get the false notion that christians are converting to voodooism?

But if scripture and that reality check does not give you serious pause for concern, then no sharpening of the iron will benefit you then.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
A

Andrea411

Does that babbling include the scripture as well? If not, then refute the application or don't.

What need does the Holy Spirit have to come over & fill you when He is already within you as promised by faith in Jesus Christ?

And if you really believe that is the Holy Spirit being felt outside of you, then how can you ever discern the spirit of the antichrist when it is also outside of you? If you go by the good feeling of what that spirit brings, then you should really reconsider because there are such a thing as seducing spirits and how else can they be seducing other than bringing good feelings?

Let's be clear. There is a supernatural tongue that is in the world that is just babbling nonsense: The Bible testify of it in Isaiah 8:19 of familiar spirits that causes wizards to peep & mutter. This tongue of the devil existed long before that day of Pentecost had come with God's gift of tongues which was of other men's lips to speak unto the people.

To attribute that God's gift of tongues would copycat the devil's supernatural tongue to be used as a prayer language is hardly a believer proving all things including tongues in order to abstain from all appearances of evil.

You would have a problem if your church went to Haiti where voodooists speak in tongues because :

1) If you convert one to christianity; how can anyone tell if he had repented from his former works of darkness?

2) How can this convert to christianity be a good witness to others in voodooism if he still speak in that same kind of babbling nonsense?

3) How can those in Haiti that are neither christian nor into voodooism but know of the practise of voodooism would believe that no compromises is being done in christianity, let alone get the false notion that christians are converting to voodooism?

But if scripture and that reality check does not give you serious pause for concern, then no sharpening of the iron will benefit you then.

Satan also appears as an angel of light, that doesn't mean that all angels are evil.
1Pursue love, yet desire earnestly spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy. 2For one who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God; for no one understands, but in his spirit he speaks mysteries. 3But one who prophesies speaks to men for edification and exhortation and consolation.…

Do not forbid speaking in tongues... that is demonic.

I am not answering your demonic questions about voodoo and babbling. It is insulting to the work of the Holy Spirit. People don't speak in tongues to prove anything... there are other ways to tell if someone is Christian.
They show the characteristics of a Christian.

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant 5 or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; 6 it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. 7 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

8 Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. 11 When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. 12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.

13 So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

It is not so difficult... why use the enemy to attack the church? Seducing spirits act like demons, they accuse the brethren, twist words and are deceitful

2 Cor 4:16 So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. 17 For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, 18 as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.
Who renews you everyday?

Are you Charismatic?

Upvote 0

Tellastory

Mar 10, 2013
In God's Hand
✟16,186.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Satan also appears as an angel of light, that doesn't mean that all angels are evil.
1Pursue love, yet desire earnestly spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy. 2For one who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God; for no one understands, but in his spirit he speaks mysteries. 3But one who prophesies speaks to men for edification and exhortation and consolation.…

Do not forbid speaking in tongues... that is demonic.

Then Paul is in trouble.

1 Corinthians 14:28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

Is Paul a hypocrite? No. So there are some readings here in that chapter that is being misunderstood, and only God can help you see that.

Your reference is Paul citing that if any seek a spiritual gift, out of all the spiritual gifts to seek, we are to seek the gift to prophesy in verse 1.

Then Paul started to compare the gift of prophesy against the gift of tongues to show why the gift of prophesy is the better gift to seek.

Thru out that entire chapter, Paul was engaging in the topic of downplaying tongues to such a degree that he had to make sure at the end that the reader understood that he was not forbidding tongues, but prophesy was the better gift to seek after.

In that comparison, most readers err thinking Paul was describing the gift of prophesy and the gift of tongues; but he wasn't. Paul was describing why to seek the gift of prophesy over tongues because tongues is not a stand alone gift because it needs to be followed by interpretation in the assembly; hence if no interpretor, the "tongue speaker" is to be silent.

That means every God given tongue speaker will have interpretation; otherwise, Paul could never instruct someone to be silent in the church.

Now looking at verse 2 & 28, only God can help us to see the meaning of Paul's words. Starting with verse 28 in working bacwards...

28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

When there is no interpretor, this is Paul's way of saying that this "tongue speaker" that no one understands is not God given but a foreignor speaking out of place in the church, because he speaks to himself, meaning he understands what he is saying and to God meaning God understands what he is saying. This does not mean he was speaking TO God as if communicating with God, because otherwise, you would have him speaking to himself. Do we need to communicate to ourselves? No.

So Paul use of speaking to himself & to God is referring to understanding what is being said. We can see that meaning in the second verse below.

2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

So the God given tongue speaker is not speaking unto men that he would normally speak unto men to be understood by men nor himself, but what this God given tongue speaker is saying of other men's lips is understood by God; but again, this is not testifying that He is speaking to God because there are no mysteries to God, and so this was about understanding what was being said in why prophesy was better than tongues.

3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort. 4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church. 5 I would that ye all spake with tongues but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

So in context, Paul was explaining that tongues is not a stand alone gift.

Now one have taken out of context that tongue edifies self: but Paul explained later on that even to himself, it is unfruitful unless interpreted. **Due note that such an errant point of self edification was not validating tongues as a prayer language at all & the misapplication gets worse.

13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret. 14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. 15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

#1) Paul is saying that while the Holy Spirit is manifesting tongues in him, Paul is praying that someone else may interpret.

#2) It is Paul that is praying while speaking in tongue: not the Holy Spirit praying.

#3) Paul concluded that unless someone interpreted, it was unfruitful even to himself as a tongue speaker.

So tongues is not nor was it ever meant to be a stand alone gift.

Paul gave the bottomline on tongues which had no exception for prayer language.

20 Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men. 21 In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.

Paul had set the precedent that tongues is not a prayer language earlier because all manifestations of the Spirit are to profit the body withal.

1 Corinthians 12:7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. 8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: 11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will. 12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.

The problem here is that believers are believing every spirit and not testing them. They want to believe that what had just happened to them is from God and that because the tongues that spirit brought it comes with no interpretation, then they assumed wrongly zealously that it has to be a prayer language.

Out of this error, and because of that "spectacular" second hand supernatural experience that many believers errantly assumed it was with the Holy Ghost, many are unaware of how they are being misled in changing their "born again" testimony to when they had received tongues without interpretation rather than their earlier testimony when they had received the promise of the Spirit by "faith" in Jesus Christ. This in turn is responsible for the heresey of "If you do not speak in tongues, you do not have the Holy Spirit, and thus you are not saved."

There is even another heresey where they preach another baptism with the Holy Spirit that comes with evidence of tongues as being separate from salvation, but that would go against Paul's word below.

13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

That means there is no second drink of the Holy Spirit, and thus that spectacular second supernatural experience is not of Him at all.

I am not answering your demonic questions about voodoo and babbling. It is insulting to the work of the Holy Spirit. People don't speak in tongues to prove anything... there are other ways to tell if someone is Christian.

They show the characteristics of a Christian.

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant 5 or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; 6 it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. 7 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

8 Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. 11 When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. 12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.

13 So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

It is not so difficult... why use the enemy to attack the church? Seducing spirits act like demons, they accuse the brethren, twist words and are deceitful

As Paul said: we prophesy in part & know in part and yes, people do read Paul's words to fit their tongues without interpretation into scripture, but it is out of misplaced zeal in wanting their tongues to be of God.

2 Cor 4:16 So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. 17 For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, 18 as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.
Who renews you everyday?

Jesus Christ thru the Holy Spirit "in" me.

Romans 12:2And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

2 Corinthians 4:16For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day.

Ephesians 4:22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind; 24And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

Colossians 3:And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:

That is how we are renewed day by say as saved believers: it is not by the renewing of the Holy Ghost that happened at our salvation. That reference is about how we were saved so that nobody would think we are saved by good works.

Titus 3:4 But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared, 5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; 6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; 7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

So we are not saved by good works, but Paul did say urged in the next verse that it was important as it was "profitable" unto men.

8 This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men.

So yes, I am being renewed day by day by Jesus Christ, the author & finisher of our faith.

Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:...11 Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

Are you Charismatic?[/quote]

I was under the understanding that this sub-forum was "created" for Charismatics and non-Word of Faith members for which I would fall under as a nonWOF member to participate in. If however this is meaning only for Charismatics, then the description needs some clarity.

As it is, I am former Presbyterian and officially, I represent no denomenation, but by His grace & by His help, I represent Jesus Christ and His words in keeping the faith which is the good fight in defending Him & His words: not a church nor any unscriptural practises within that church.

Upvote 0
A

Andrea411

[/COLOR]

Then Paul is in trouble.

1 Corinthians 14:28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

Is Paul a hypocrite? No. So there are some readings here in that chapter that is being misunderstood, and only God can help you see that.

Your reference is Paul citing that if any seek a spiritual gift, out of all the spiritual gifts to seek, we are to seek the gift to prophesy in verse 1.

Then Paul started to compare the gift of prophesy against the gift of tongues to show why the gift of prophesy is the better gift to seek.

Thru out that entire chapter, Paul was engaging in the topic of downplaying tongues to such a degree that he had to make sure at the end that the reader understood that he was not forbidding tongues, but prophesy was the better gift to seek after.

In that comparison, most readers err thinking Paul was describing the gift of prophesy and the gift of tongues; but he wasn't. Paul was describing why to seek the gift of prophesy over tongues because tongues is not a stand alone gift because it needs to be followed by interpretation in the assembly; hence if no interpretor, the "tongue speaker" is to be silent.

That means every God given tongue speaker will have interpretation; otherwise, Paul could never instruct someone to be silent in the church.

Now looking at verse 2 & 28, only God can help us to see the meaning of Paul's words. Starting with verse 28 in working bacwards...

28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

When there is no interpretor, this is Paul's way of saying that this "tongue speaker" that no one understands is not God given but a foreignor speaking out of place in the church, because he speaks to himself, meaning he understands what he is saying and to God meaning God understands what he is saying. This does not mean he was speaking TO God as if communicating with God, because otherwise, you would have him speaking to himself. Do we need to communicate to ourselves? No.

So Paul use of speaking to himself & to God is referring to understanding what is being said. We can see that meaning in the second verse below.

2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

So the God given tongue speaker is not speaking unto men that he would normally speak unto men to be understood by men nor himself, but what this God given tongue speaker is saying of other men's lips is understood by God; but again, this is not testifying that He is speaking to God because there are no mysteries to God, and so this was about understanding what was being said in why prophesy was better than tongues.

3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort. 4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church. 5 I would that ye all spake with tongues but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

So in context, Paul was explaining that tongues is not a stand alone gift.

Now one have taken out of context that tongue edifies self: but Paul explained later on that even to himself, it is unfruitful unless interpreted. **Due note that such an errant point of self edification was not validating tongues as a prayer language at all & the misapplication gets worse.

13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret. 14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. 15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

#1) Paul is saying that while the Holy Spirit is manifesting tongues in him, Paul is praying that someone else may interpret.

#2) It is Paul that is praying while speaking in tongue: not the Holy Spirit praying.

#3) Paul concluded that unless someone interpreted, it was unfruitful even to himself as a tongue speaker.

So tongues is not nor was it ever meant to be a stand alone gift.

Paul gave the bottomline on tongues which had no exception for prayer language.

20 Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men. 21 In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.

Paul had set the precedent that tongues is not a prayer language earlier because all manifestations of the Spirit are to profit the body withal.

1 Corinthians 12:7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. 8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: 11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will. 12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.

The problem here is that believers are believing every spirit and not testing them. They want to believe that what had just happened to them is from God and that because the tongues that spirit brought it comes with no interpretation, then they assumed wrongly zealously that it has to be a prayer language.

Out of this error, and because of that "spectacular" second hand supernatural experience that many believers errantly assumed it was with the Holy Ghost, many are unaware of how they are being misled in changing their "born again" testimony to when they had received tongues without interpretation rather than their earlier testimony when they had received the promise of the Spirit by "faith" in Jesus Christ. This in turn is responsible for the heresey of "If you do not speak in tongues, you do not have the Holy Spirit, and thus you are not saved."

There is even another heresey where they preach another baptism with the Holy Spirit that comes with evidence of tongues as being separate from salvation, but that would go against Paul's word below.

13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

That means there is no second drink of the Holy Spirit, and thus that spectacular second supernatural experience is not of Him at all.

As Paul said: we prophesy in part & know in part and yes, people do read Paul's words to fit their tongues without interpretation into scripture, but it is out of misplaced zeal in wanting their tongues to be of God.

Jesus Christ thru the Holy Spirit "in" me.

Romans 12:2And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

2 Corinthians 4:16For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day.

Ephesians 4:22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind; 24And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

Colossians 3:And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:

That is how we are renewed day by say as saved believers: it is not by the renewing of the Holy Ghost that happened at our salvation. That reference is about how we were saved so that nobody would think we are saved by good works.

Titus 3:4 But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared, 5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; 6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; 7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

So we are not saved by good works, but Paul did say urged in the next verse that it was important as it was "profitable" unto men.

8 This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men.

So yes, I am being renewed day by day by Jesus Christ, the author & finisher of our faith.

Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:...11 Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

Are you Charismatic?

I was under the understanding that this sub-forum was "created" for Charismatics and non-Word of Faith members for which I would fall under as a nonWOF member to participate in. If however this is meaning only for Charismatics, then the description needs some clarity.

As it is, I am former Presbyterian and officially, I represent no denomenation, but by His grace & by His help, I represent Jesus Christ and His words in keeping the faith which is the good fight in defending Him & His words: not a church nor any unscriptural practises within that church.[/QUOTE]

andrea411******
This entire section is under Spirit-filled - Charismatic... some Charismatics are WoF/non-Wof but it is not a place to come to denigrate our beliefs. This would better be moved to non-denominational. It just takes so much writing for you anti-charismatics. You might at least understand what we believe before you show up to argue with us. It takes too long to go back to the basics every time someone gets the urge to mock tongues. Do you think this is new. I have been a Charismatic Christian for 30 years. I don't babble... babbling is a bunch of noises that I do with my granddaughter who does babble,
I pray in a language which I recognize, the same words, phrases and the like. I don't understand it (although occasionally I have). It's not for my understanding, it is so I pray God's will and not my own.

As far as what occurs in particular churches, I have no control over them and neither do you. Let them follow their own consciences and decide what is 'orderly' worship.
So many churches, dead and cold yet you want to denigrate the churches who have been doing the most world-wide evangelizing. When we evangelize it is not to make new charismatics but new Christians who can choose what denomination or what beliefs they may accept.
So go and have a nice life... believe as your conscience sees fit, I will do the same, by the grace of God, andrea

(sorry I have to report - thanks)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tellastory

Mar 10, 2013
In God's Hand
✟16,186.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

As it is, I am former Presbyterian and officially, I represent no denomenation, but by His grace & by His help, I represent Jesus Christ and His words in keeping the faith which is the good fight in defending Him & His words: not a church nor any unscriptural practises within that church.

andrea411******
This entire section is under Spirit-filled - Charismatic... some Charismatics are WoF/non-Wof but it is not a place to come to denigrate our beliefs. This would better be moved to non-denominational. It just takes so much writing for you anti-charismatics. You might at least understand what we believe before you show up to argue with us. It takes too long to go back to the basics every time someone gets the urge to mock tongues. Do you think this is new. I have been a Charismatic Christian for 30 years. I don't babble... babbling is a bunch of noises that I do with my granddaughter who does babble,
I pray in a language which I recognize, the same words, phrases and the like. I don't understand it (although occasionally I have). It's not for my understanding, it is so I pray God's will and not my own.

As far as what occurs in particular churches, I have no control over them and neither do you. Let them follow their own consciences and decide what is 'orderly' worship.
So many churches, dead and cold yet you want to denigrate the churches who have been doing the most world-wide evangelizing. When we evangelize it is not to make new charismatics but new Christians who can choose what denomination or what beliefs they may accept.
So go and have a nice life... believe as your conscience sees fit, I will do the same, by the grace of God, andrea

(sorry I have to report - thanks)[/quote]

Well, you kind of just denigrate all other churches by calling them dead and cold.

All I was doing was talking about discerning the spirits & the tongues they bring because the Bible warned believers to not believe every spirit. I was not judging you in the manner for which you had judged me along with other churches.

I understand that part in general about the forum itself, but if that "created" sub-forum was not really an open ground for discussion for non WoF, meaning those that are non-WoF, then they should clarify that they mean charismatics that are non-WoF. I should not be penalized for misunderstanding for what the sub-forum was created for. I am not sure how that created sub-forums can defer from the general areas of this forum for Charismatics and WoF then if that be the case.

Charismatics for charismatics, right?

WoF for WoF, right?

The sub-forum I had replied in was for charismatics and nonWoF to discuss in.

See my confusion if I am indeed, in the wrong here for replying?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A

Andrea411

andrea411******

(sorry I have to report - thanks)

Well, you kind of just denigrate all other churches by calling them dead and cold.

All I was doing was talking about discerning the spirits & the tongues they bring because the Bible warned believers to not believe every spirit. I was not judging you in the manner for which you had judged me along with other churches.

I understand that part in general about the forum itself, but if that "created" sub-forum was not really an open ground for discussion for non WoF, meaning those that are non-WoF, then they should clarify that they mean charismatics that are non-WoF. I should not be penalized for misunderstanding for what the sub-forum was created for. I am not sure how that created sub-forums can defer from the general areas of this forum for Charismatics and WoF then if that be the case.

Charismatics for charismatics, right?

WoF for WoF, right?

The sub-forum I had replied in was for charismatics and nonWoF to discuss in.

See my confusion if I am indeed, in the wrong here for replying?[/QUOTE]

I didn't make the rules, your here trying to teach your theology and this is not the place for it. I reported you bc your on the wrong forum. I got very confused and occasionally post where I don't belong too. Theres no big deal. They will warn you.

Cold and dead applies to the cold dead churches not to all churches. If churches are not evangelizing and are spending their time trying to antagonize other Christians then they are wrong. I don't care if you want to follow John MacArthur, I would rather follow the scriptures. I'm not Calvinist or Catholic or many other things. I don't waste my time trying to unevangelize them. Either encourage people or go.
People have fought over the their pet doctrines for 2000 yrs. imagine if all that energy had gone to do good or evangelize the lost, to love people who need to know Christ. Instead of you coming here to tell people that already know the Lord, that the Holy Spirit isn't the same as He was in the bible but that He changed bc a bunch of theologians don't get it.

There are plenty of Charismatics who are willing to argue within this group, we don't need outsiders stirring the pot. Would you like me to go to the Presbyterians and ask them why their churches are supporting abortion.

how dare you preach to us when your church is a cold dead church!!!!!

Presbyterians have struggled with the issue of abortion for more than 30 years, beginning in 1970 when the General Assembly, the national governing body of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), declared that “the artificial or induced termination of a pregnancy is a matter of careful ethical decision of the patient … and therefore should not be restricted by law …”(1) In the years that followed this action, the General Assembly has adopted policy and taken positions on the subject of abortion.
In 2006 the 217th General Assembly approved language that clarified the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) position on problem pregnancies.
When an individual woman faces the decision whether to terminate a pregnancy, the issue is intensely personal, and may manifest itself in ways that do not reflect public rhetoric, or do not fit neatly into medical, legal, or policy guidelines. Humans are empowered by the spirit prayerfully to make significant moral choices, including the choice to continue or end a pregnancy. Human choices should not be made in a moral vacuum, but must be based on Scripture, faith, and Christian ethics. For any choice, we are accountable to God; however, even when we err, God offers to forgive us.(2)
Abortion Issues — Presbyterian 101 — Mission and Ministry — Presbyterian Mission Agency

Upvote 0