• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Can you be saved not believing Jesus is God?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by zoidar, Dec 4, 2020.

Can a person that believes Jesus is the Son, but not God be saved?

1. Yes, I believe so.

22 vote(s)
    37.9%
  2. No, don't think so.

33 vote(s)
    56.9%
  3. Other

3 vote(s)
    5.2%
  1. zoidar

zoidar Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,920
    Sweden
    Christian
    Private
    Not with uppercase L.

There are other verses that are more clear Jesus is God. John 1 for an example.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  2. Bond-servant of Christ

Bond-servant of Christ Well-Known Member

+203
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    only if He is acknowledged as YHWH

3. zoidar

+1,920
    Sweden
    Christian
    Private
    When we are saved we don't want to sin, or there is something really wrong. Mortal sin, then you mean sin to death? I think this Bible verse (1 John 5:16) is hard to understand. What is sin unto death?

Some say all sins are the same to God, but I say there are different degrees of severity to sin. If a Christian sins gravely then I think his heart will harden, the Holy Spirit be quenched, where there no longer is salvation.

I think if you deny Christ to be God, you know it but willingly choose not to believe it. Who would do such a thing, I don't know, and yes I believe it may cost him or her salvation, or he/she never was saved to begin with. Most of these cases I think is because of ignorence, I hope, and not willful rejection.

This is kind of scary, and that's an understatement. There is the question what striving to enter the narrow gate means. We aren't talking about polishing facades here. Doing this, doing that won't save us. It's in the heart, a heart connected with Christ, in which we live to love God and our neighbour. That's how I see it.

No, I don't believe we can live in mortal sins and be saved. Then we need to repent.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  4. Mark Quayle

Mark Quayle Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,678
    United States
    Reformed
    Widowed
    I did not say there aren't other verses more apt than John 3:16 to say that he died FOR the whole world. I said John 3:16 is not the one to use for that.

Now if you want to argue whether he paid the penalty for absolutely everyone who ever sinned, we can go there.

5. zoidar

+1,920
    Sweden
    Christian
    Private
    I think John 3:16-17 maybe is the clearest text that Jesus bore the sins of everyone.

I would be interested to hear your understanding of it.

6. Bond-servant of Christ

+203
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    start a thread!

7. zoidar

+1,920
    Sweden
    Christian
    Private
    I would follow that thread with interest. :)

8. Mark Quayle

Mark Quayle Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,678
    United States
    Reformed
    Widowed
    Causation is not always time-dependent. After all, are any of the fallen capable of doing anything on their own, to please God? Or are they all slaves to sin and at enmity to God?

Of course faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God. How does that rule out the need for regeneration as the cause of faith?

Again, PRECEED, does not mean time-dependent, but cause dependent.

9. 1213

1213 Disciple of Jesus

+1,093
    Christian
    Single
    But it does not say the condition is to believe Jesus is the God.

10. Bond-servant of Christ

+203
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    Lord=Yahweh, which means Jesus=God

11. Hammster

Hammster Our weapons are Word, Water, Bread, Wine. Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+21,725
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Does Paul, in his letter to the Romans, give any indication that Jesus is God?

12. nolidad

nolidad Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,255
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others

Then you need to look up teh terem Kurios as it pertains to rulers. IN Rome which was the predominant culture of the day Cesars were Kurios! and they were the children of the gods! IOW they were divine!

So when Paul said we must confess (which means more than just lip service) that Jesus is Lord, we are proclaiming that Jesus is the Son of God and Divine Himself!

13. nolidad

nolidad Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,255
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others

In our translations, it would be questionable. But in teh Greek and understanding the terminology of Paul in the culture- there is no doubt that Paul in Romans declared Jesus is God or Divine!

14. OzSpen

OzSpen Regular Member

+674
    Australia
    Baptist
    Private
    You are correct bond-servant.

You have given the one side of his doctrine. This is the other side:

Calvin’s online edition of 1 John 2:2 states:

And not for ours only He added this for the sake of amplifying, in order that the faithful might be assured that the expiation made by Christ, extends to all who by faith embrace the gospel.

Here a question may be raised, how have the sins of the whole world been expiated? I pass by the dotages of the fanatics, who under this pretense extend salvation to all the reprobate, and therefore to Satan himself. Such a monstrous thing deserves no refutation. They who seek to avoid this absurdity, have said that Christ suffered sufficiently for the whole world, but efficiently only for the elect. This solution has commonly prevailed in the schools. Though then I allow that what has been said is true, yet I deny that it is suitable to this passage; for the design of John was no other than to make this benefit common to the whole Church. Then under the word all or whole, he does not include the reprobate, but designates those who should believe as well as those who were then scattered through various parts of the world. For then is really made evident, as it is meet, the grace of Christ, when it is declared to be the only true salvation of the world.​

I used the language he was a fence-sitter. Perhaps it would be better to state he wavered between universal and limited atonement.

Oz

15. Hammster

Hammster Our weapons are Word, Water, Bread, Wine. Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+21,725
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Fortunately, the Puritans that can’t after him didn’t waver.

16. Bond-servant of Christ

+203
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    take a look of Calvin on Mark 14:24 and Colossians 1:14. The man must have lost his mind at some time!

17. Bond-servant of Christ

+203
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    there are two "gospels". the One which is the Gospel according to the Teachings of the Holy Bible; and the other is the gospel according to the Reformed/Calvinists. Of the latter the Apostle Paul says, "another gospel, Which is not another" (Galatians 1:6-7), and therefore a "pseudo-gospel", and must be rejected as not being from the God of the Holy Bible!

18. Hammster

+21,725
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Sadly, you are mistaken.

19. Bond-servant of Christ

+203
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    rather, very much the truth in what I say! you guys are so obsessed with your personal "doctrines", that you make God out to be a hater of lost sinners, by excluding the greater majority! "God SO VERY MUCH loves the ENTIRE WORLD"!

20. Hammster

+21,725
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Well, you are free to believe your personal doctrine.