Can you be confirmed without being baptized?

LilLamb219

The Lamb is gone
Site Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
✟83,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is there a pastor at the church you used to attend that you can contact to inquire about whether or not you were baptized? Or ask your family members? If you have gone through all those avenues without any assurance, speak to the pastor at your currant church and he will help you out.

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I can't remember wether or not I was baptised but I remember my confirmation. Would I have had to be baptized before getting confirmed? I want to know because the church I go to has a regular communion but you have to be baptised in order to participate I think.
Most mainline denominations require baptism before the confirmation ceremony (initial communion), yes. They'll baptize you on being confirmed if you weren't baptized, earlier.

So you were probably baptized as an infant or small child.

Baptistic churches would be the only churches that would not acknowledge an infant baptism, though you were confirmed, and so they would be problematic for the Lord's Supper.

Upvote 0

Baqueinfaith

Apr 18, 2011
Bay Area, California
✟15,947.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Amadeus, don't worry about that right now. Ask your pastor about the policy, if you want, but just take it slow.

This is not honestly a pressing matter. I want you to work on being comfortable in your own skin as a Christian.

Were you an atheist beforehand? Atheism is a big part of our identity. You might have some anti-Christian baggage hanging around your psyche. You will need to figure out how to come to terms with your new identity as a child of God, knowing that this should not destroy your old personality, but rather make it all the more glorious. You will just become a better version of who you've always been--which is how God made you.

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can't remember wether or not I was baptised but I remember my confirmation. Would I have had to be baptized before getting confirmed? I want to know because the church I go to has a regular communion but you have to be baptised in order to participate I think.

Water baptism is supposed to be an outward symbol of an inward change and a demonstration of your decision to follow Jesus. It is supposed to symbolize a burial of the old man under the water and the rising up of the new man in Christ. In other for this to be any relevant, you must make a conscious decision to do it. If you can't remember it means you did not make a conscious decision and without you actually making a decision it is pointless. Regardless of what churches say the bible is above. If you made the decision to follow God, demonstrate it by being baptized. This is what Jesus and his followers demonstrated.

Upvote 0
Apr 14, 2011
✟9,428.00
Faith
Christian
Water baptism is supposed to be an outward symbol of an inward change and a demonstration of your decision to follow Jesus. It is supposed to symbolize a burial of the old man under the water and the rising up of the new man in Christ. In other for this to be any relevant, you must make a conscious decision to do it. If you can't remember it means you did not make a conscious decision and without you actually making a decision it is pointless. Regardless of what churches say the bible is above. If you made the decision to follow God, demonstrate it by being baptized. This is what Jesus and his followers demonstrated.

10 Zillion plus babies went through infant baptism and now in the 21st century, it is now required to to re-baptized again as an adult even though they have been baptized. I don't think so.

If you have been baptized then you don't need to be re-baptized.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
10 Zillion plus babies went through infant baptism and now in the 21st century, it is now required to to re-baptized again as an adult even though they have been baptized. I don't think so.

If you have been baptized then you don't need to be re-baptized.

Did Jesus teach infant baptism. Is there any example of that in the bible. All examples of baptism in the bible are with people who heard the message and made a decision to follow God. Babies cannot make any decision and do not understand what going on around them. 10 Zillion babies being "baptised" doesn't mean its right.

Upvote 0