Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
So, there is a perception that American evangelicalism is too tied up in right wing politics.

Idk how true that is. I'll grant that they are overwhelmingly Republican, but I'm not sure about being full-blown MAGA. Is some of it reluctant support?

I supported Trump because he was doing things I liked, and I didn't think I was going to get anything from the Democrats.

I agree with most evangelical theology, but don't really know where I stand politically.

What about you?

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟200,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So, there is a perception that American evangelicalism is too tied up in right wing politics.

Idk how true that is. I'll grant that they are overwhelmingly Republican, but I'm not sure about being full-blown MAGA. Is some of it reluctant support?

I supported Trump because he was doing things I liked, and I didn't think I was going to get anything from the Democrats.

I agree with most evangelical theology, but don't really know where I stand politically.

What about you?
I think there were many people who appreciated what Trump did but at the same time did not appreciate his communications. You have to vote for the people who will enact the policies that express your values, you do not have to like the way they do it.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟377,931.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

What about you?
That is very possible, and very needed at this juncture. What you should be moderate in first and foremost, is attitude. It's very possible to be a moderate politically with an immoderate attitude, and we have too many immoderate attitudes breaking down the ability to have conversations with one another. Be approachable and reasonable. Seek first to understand. Be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry.

Upvote 0

Tom1961

Jan 25, 2021
Illinois
✟9,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think there were many people who appreciated what Trump did but at the same time did not appreciate his communications. You have to vote for the people who will enact the policies that express your values, you do not have to like the way they do it.

I must respectfully disagree. I do not believe that the ends justify the means. I have witnessed those through the years that achieve positive results but leave all around them at odds and in dispute.

Doesn't the Bible establish standards for character and behavior that should guide our values. What issue is more important than love, peace, patience, kindness, and self-control?

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟200,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I must respectfully disagree. I do not believe that the ends justify the means. I have witnessed those through the years that achieve positive results but leave all around them at odds and in dispute.

Doesn't the Bible establish standards for character and behavior that should guide our values. What issue is more important than love, peace, patience, kindness, and self-control?
Have you seen any of that in our government in D.C.

Upvote 0

East of Eden

Feb 20, 2021
Albuquerque
✟29,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

The murder of millions by abortion and religious liberty. I vote for a platform, not a personality.

Upvote 0

OceanPoet87

Husband 'N Wifi
Feb 7, 2012
Near Lewiston, ID
✟13,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I always took this forum to mean theologically moderate but I think to some extent political ideology and theology go hand in hand if you are in the US.

For politics, I am a liberal Democrat- no doubt about it -, but theology wise I prefer it conservative. So I think my preference in a church is one who takes scripture as the word of God but doesn't worship a political party (but pro-life and pro-family are fine). I also prefer a moderate or conservative church to a social gospel of mainline churches who don't really know what they believe. They know Jesus but have removed all focus from the cross and resurrection to doing good work and lobbying for liberal causes that have nothing to do with the Christian walk.

I think a moderate church or theology is willing to remain true to God's word, but may be more open to interpretation of what scripture means if it is not word-for-word. I think moderate theology still places Jesus at the center but may be flexible in ways both good and bad. Perhaps it could be seen as the difference between an Evangelical Christian in some cases and a doctrine that is more fundamentalist in literal meaning in others. I have friends who identify as fundamentalist (not in the way that non-Christians portray it) and those who prefer evangelical or something else.

Upvote 0

9Rock9

Sinner in need of grace.
Nov 28, 2018
South Carolina
✟70,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I always took this forum to mean theologically moderate but I think to some extent political ideology and theology go hand in hand if you are in the US.

For politics, I am a liberal Democrat- no doubt about it -, but theology wise I prefer it conservative. So I think my preference in a church is one who takes scripture as the word of God but doesn't worship a political party (but pro-life and pro-family are fine). I also prefer a moderate or conservative church to a social gospel of mainline churches who don't really know what they believe. They know Jesus but have removed all focus from the cross and resurrection to doing good work and lobbying for liberal causes that have nothing to do with the Christian walk.

I think a moderate church or theology is willing to remain true to God's word, but may be more open to interpretation of what scripture means if it is not word-for-word. I think moderate theology still places Jesus at the center but may be flexible in ways both good and bad. Perhaps it could be seen as the difference between an Evangelical Christian in some cases and a doctrine that is more fundamentalist in literal meaning in others. I have friends who identify as fundamentalist (not in the way that non-Christians portray it) and those who prefer evangelical or something else.

See, I could get behind that. I think both parties have a mix of Christian and un-Christian policies, and I agree with mainline Protestants on some things, but I feel they have gone too far the other way.

Honestly, I think I would be a Democrat if more of the politicians were pro-life.

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0