Can you be a Christian Wiccan?

msjones21

Nov 26, 2003
Atlanta, GA
✟3,674.00
Faith
Pagan
Separating the terms "witchcraft" and "Wicca" (which do not have to coincide with one another, depsite popular belief) can one be Wiccan and not practice withcraft, while still maintaining their Christianity? I'm not talking about spellcasting and reading tarot cards.

To get a better handle on what I'm asking, please copy and paste my questions below and feel free to answer them based upon your own personal opinions. This isn't a thread to debate Wicca and whether or not it's evil or sinful. I'm just curious as to what aspects of Wicca is acceptable for Christians to practice. Thanks, everyone! :wave:

Can a Christian:
~Burn incense and meditate?
~Respect the earth and nature in a spiritual sense?
~Refer to Creator God as a female (goddess) or as an asexual deity?
~Burn candles to represent various needs?
~Use herbs and oils to heal ailments?

HadouKen24

The Mad Prophet
Sep 27, 2003
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟751.00
Faith
Other Religion
Why not?

As long as the earth is not raised to a higher level than the Creator, of course not.

God has no body, and encompasses both what we would call feminine and masculine; both come ultimately from God. I would not see a problem with it.

As a kind of prayer? I see no reason to consider one kind of prayer superior to another, excepting pragmatic concerns.

As a kind of spellcasting? That's a bit iffy, and depends on your interpretation of the relevant verses in Deuteronomy and elsewhere. Was it speaking only of things related to idolatry? If so, then is all magic banned?

I believe this is called "medicine." Even "alternative treatments," whether they work or not, fall under this umbrella.

It's allowed.

• Winner
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

Lifesaver

Fides et Ratio
Jan 8, 2004
São Paulo, Brazil
✟16,097.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Those things you mentioned don't seem really wiccan...

And of all them, only referring to God as a "she" and having a spiritual bond to nature (though it is possible to reach God through it, like Saint Francis of Assisi) present problems.

However, a Christian can't cast magic spells of any kind, can't believe in more than one God, can't believe in reincarnation, in loose sexual ethics and in being saved by any means other than believing in Jesus Christ.

There probably is some common ground between Christianity and Wicca, but it isn't a very big one.

Upvote 0

New_Found_Faith

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2004
✟30,978.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
msjones21 said:
Can a Christian:

1.) Yes, definately, incence is used in my church as a symbol of lifting our prayers up to god, and I often meditate on Biblical topics, so this is fine.

2.)Why not? God created the Earth, and God is a spirit, so why not respect his creation in a spiritual sense?

3.)Ok, here, since God refers to himself as masculine... I dont think he would like being called godess... but thats just a personal opinion.

4.)Well... also here, this is fine, but only when in prayer to our God would I recomend it.

5.)Also here, im not sure, I meen, to heal a blind man, Jesus put mud over his eyes and washed it off in a lake... so, I dont see the harm in trying that, but stick to the ten commandments, and also the wiccan reed of 'harm none' would apply, but spell casting is definately outlawed... white or black magick.

Hope I helped, your bro in christ,

Sean C.-NFF

Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
Man refered to God as masculine. God is neither male nor female, but transcends both. Otherwise, God would be a limited being, and incomplete besides.

Alas, don't you know that male organisms are the deviating ones? Originally, there were only females. And each foetus starts his life as a female one. The penis is nothing but an oversized [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]. They are basically the same.

Upvote 0
M

midnight star

maybe they prefer the different rituals, maybe it speaks to them on a higher level, maybe they don't buy the idea that theres only one way to worship, maybe the dislike the lack of feminine spirituality, maybe they are tired of some of the bs that organized church's pull (i'm looking at you JPII) It isn't that God isn't enough, its that something is missing in the way God is worshiped

Upvote 0

Immanuel

Feb 3, 2004
New York City
Visit site
✟8,277.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well what does light have to do with darkness? In everything you do, how does it glorify God?

Can a Christian: Everything is permissible, but not everything is benifical. WE have to think how God would look at it. Would it please our Lord or angry him?

~Burn incense and meditate? Meditate on God only and his words. People in the old testament burnt incense
~Respect the earth and nature in a spiritual sense? Our God created all the heavens and the earth. In him all things were created, apart from him, nothing exists. We need to respect all things because our creator has created it.
~Refer to Creator God as a female (goddess) or as an asexual deity? Bible never really says if God is a male or female, but he is a spirit in which we were made in the image of.
~Burn candles to represent various needs? ummm, burn candles to respresent various needs? Why would you need candles to represent needs? Just go to the cross and tell Jesus what your needs are. "Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you shall recieve." The Lord knows our needs. He sees things deeper than candles.

In all things you do, get into the word of God. I can not say if all these things are good or not good. Once you get into the word of God, only the holy spirit can
convict you of anything you need convicting on. Feed the spirit. Starve the flesh. and Focus on Christ Jesus always. He loves you sooooo MUCH!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lyle

I am last minute stuff
Nov 12, 2003
Home
Visit site
✟11,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
can one be Wiccan and not practice withcraft, while still maintaining their Christianity?
No, the heart of Wiccia (in the spiritualsense) are the Spirit Guides, and no withstanding its teachings.. All of which are against the Bible...

Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
Lyle said:
No, the heart of Wiccia (in the spiritualsense) are the Spirit Guides, and no withstanding its teachings.. All of which are against the Bible...
Spirit Guides... now where have you got that from? Let me guess, Lyle: You've read some Chick-tracts, haven't you?

Next time you want to learn something about a religion that's not your own, don't look at Christian fundamentalist propaganda. "Spirit Guides"... that's ridiculous!

Upvote 0

Outspoken

Standing in the Gap
Nov 8, 2002
✟22,188.00
Faith
Christian
msjones21 said:
Separating the terms "witchcraft" and "Wicca" (which do not have to coincide with one another, depsite popular belief) can one be Wiccan and not practice withcraft, while still maintaining their Christianity? I'm not talking about spellcasting and reading tarot cards.

To get a better handle on what I'm asking, please copy and paste my questions below and feel free to answer them based upon your own personal opinions. This isn't a thread to debate Wicca and whether or not it's evil or sinful. I'm just curious as to what aspects of Wicca is acceptable for Christians to practice. Thanks, everyone! :wave:

Can a Christian:
No, because certain beliefs fundimental to the wiccan belief system are "counter" to Christianity.

Upvote 0

Heathen Dawn

Gesta Dei per Francos
Aug 13, 2003
Israel
Visit site
✟1,922.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
To the OP: you can be a Wiccan worshipping Jesus, or a Christian with some Wiccan influence, but you can’t merge those two religions totally, because they contradict each other. You can’t be a Christian Wiccan any more than you could be an Islamic Hindu.

Lyle said:

That’s Spiritualism, Lyle, not Wicca. You’re confused.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Heathen Dawn said:
That’s Spiritualism, Lyle, not Wicca. You’re confused.
In my book of definitions it's shamanism, or perhaps another sort of animism (depending what else is involved).

Spirtualism was that crazy nineteenth century pseudo-religion regarding ghosts, mediums, ectoplasm and all that.

Upvote 0

Shekinahs

Christian=Cross
Nov 23, 2003
✟1,569.00
Faith
Christian
I know of a Christian Wicca message board that has over 400 members. So hmm there are LOTS of people who feel this path does work. The founder of the board has published a book called Christian Wicca the Trinitarian Tradition. This blend of Wiccan and Christianity is a blend many people choose for their spiritual walk. The things you mentioned such as incense and candles are not what makes a Wiccan a Wicca practitioner. Many faiths meditate with candles and incense. I mean come on now before electricity there were nothing but candles and oil lamps. People prayed by candle light. The ancient Hebrews had incense. You got to go a tad deeper to get to the heart of Wicca I do believe.

Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
Since there's no such thing as THE Christian, but only an impossible mesh of conflicting denominations, subcultures and dogmas, almost any combination is possible. Personally, I would assume that it's impossible to mix religions, at least if you don't want to mess with their initial structure and turn them into something new and eclectic.
Even if you believe that every religion, taken for itself, has had its glimpse of Truth, and has become corrupted by the limited understanding of Man, this is not a christian notion in the strictest sense.

Upvote 0

kdet

God lives in us
Jul 12, 2003
TX
Visit site
✟16,807.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Outspoken said:
Its impossible to mix wiccan and christianity, the fundimentals go against each other.
I think it's incredibly sad that for some people even after finding God it isn't enough for them and so they go seek out soemthing else to supplement...if God isn't enough what is???? Instead of looking to burn inscense and candles, how about learning to seek God more fully in your life? How about more time in the Word?

Upvote 0