Can you be a Christian and reject certain parts of the Bible?

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,896.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Remember that scholarly, traditional, historical, social, and educated -ional,
life routes
may (as it so happens today) all use different criteria
for determining or accepting or believing anything,
especially
the BIBLE, since
the enemy of Christ attacks the BIBLE in all of those segments of society and often succeeded in obscuring the truth from just a little bit to a whole log.// er... lot...

So based on all the different authorities people choose from,
you have/ will/ already have/
get lots of different answers as to what they think is fiction.
The thing that bothers me most is the why. Why are Christians so determined at times to cast doubt on the scriptures. I just don't get it. Is it intellectualism? Is it science? Is it pride? What makes people want to stand up and say "I know thats what the Bible says but I don't believe it." Sometimes I think we are so worried that the world will think we are kooks for believing such nonsense that we try to seem smart about it. I have yet to find someone who was saved because a believer decided he didn't believe certain parts of the Bible. Oh people will say they won't become believers because we believe such nonsense as creation, but when believers stand up and say "we don't believe in creation either" the unsaved don't go"oh in that case I will believe in Jesus."

No th e real hangup is the unbeliever will find any excuse not to believe because he just flat doesn't want to believe that he needs Jesus.

Those to that come to Christ don't do so because they suddenly believed in creation or a Christian told them they don't. They came because the Sprit of God moved in them in a way that convinced them of their need for a savior.

So I still don't get it why Christians feel the need to doubt.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
The thing that bothers me most is the why. Why are Christians so determined at times to cast doubt on the scriptures.

Trust God's Word. Not men. Remember Jesus even chastised His Own disciples sometimes for their lack of faith - how much moreso today, people lack faith!

See all through Scripture, search all you want, meditate on God's Word day and night,
enjoy reading Scripture, DELIGHT EVEN IN SCRIPTURE ! It is much better than GOLD, yes than much fine GOLD!

Reactions: rjs330
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Oh, also, see in Scripture WHY men doubt - WHY the disciples even doubted.

It is all written out, and as we seek God, ask Him for His understanding.

He is FAITHFUL and TRUE. No one who trusts in Him is ever disappointed,

as His Word says and His Word cannot be broken, ever.

Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Bart Ehrman has declared himself apostate. So he admits he is not a Christian.
Why did he declare himself an apostate? Which brings up another question about the OP. Is someone who believes in the bodily resurrection of Jesus and His gospel but not believe in other parts of the Bible, are they a Christian or are they an apostate?

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Even the demons and hasatan believe Jesus rose from the grave and ascended into heaven. They know He is God. They know He saves those who dwell in Him.
Yet they cannot be saved, neither the demons, nor hasatan.
They believe, yet are not Christian.

Upvote 0

Phantasman

May 12, 2012
Tennessee
✟34,626.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I, myself, do not put a lot of faith into the Hebrew scriptures as to what Jesus was trying to teach. I don't believe God the Father to be a murderer. And John 8 has Jesus saying that the Jews had been following a liar and a murderer from the beginning.

Jesus taught spiritual. And that God is spiritual. The flesh profits nothing (John 8). This key is what makes me seek Jesus teachings in all Christian scriptures of the time, and not just blindly following Orthodox choices.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,896.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I, myself, do not put a lot of faith into the Hebrew scriptures as to what Jesus was trying to teach. I don't believe God the Father to be a murderer. And John 8 has Jesus saying that the Jews had been following a liar and a murderer from the beginning.

Jesus taught spiritual. And that God is spiritual. The flesh profits nothing (John 8). This key is what makes me seek Jesus teachings in all Christian scriptures of the time, and not just blindly following Orthodox choices.

I see your point but the thing is the OT is scripture. Having faith in it is very important as it gives you a deeper understanding of God. You see people like to feel comfortable with their own ideas of God. It's nice to think of God as this dottering old father who just lives for his children giving them blessings etc. But God is FAR more than that. He is Almighty, Powerful, Holy and demanding. He is live and he is justice. But the thing is he is NOT our kind if love and he is NOT our kind of just. The OT gives you a better balance of understanding of just who God really is. And believe it or not the NT ties in very well with the old. Here are some examples.
but after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God;who will render to every man according to his deeds: - Romans 2:5-6 Bible Gateway passage: Romans 2:5-6 - Common English Bible

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. - John 3:36 Bible Gateway passage: John 3:36 - Common English Bible

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; - Romans 1:18 Bible Gateway passage: Romans 1:18 - Common English Bible

So it's important to know that. Now what is also important to know that God's wrath is against those that reject him or that reject Christ or that walk away from his salvation as is seen in Hebrews 10. His wrath is not against those who are saved through Christ and remain in Him. We are free from that wrath. But the OT shows us just how God feels about sin and rebellion. Because his ways are not our ways and his thoughts are not our thoughts.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟651,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Jesus said that He and the Father are one. He certainly didn't say anything against what Father. Certainly didn't call Him a murderer.

Upvote 0

Phantasman

May 12, 2012
Tennessee
✟34,626.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said that he was the truth. It's his very reason for physically becoming a man. To give us the truth firsthand, and not through unseen voices. If anyone wants to add Moses, Abraham, etc. to that, then so be it. I do not. Orthodoxy is a hard thing to question for most. But historic Christian accounts during the first and second centuries showed an exception of following Jesus by leaving the Hebrew principals.

The argument between the Jews and Jesus in John 6 and John 8 are quite compelling where the Hebrews came from, and where Jesus was trying to lead them. Orthodoxy is early catholic thought. They repaired the Vail of the Holy of Holies, and brought the priests back to power.

Each of our faiths are based in the knowledge we receive. The early christian scriptures has a lot to consider.

But there isn't really an argument here. Jesus is lord of all. The only difference is perception and will of.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why did he declare himself an apostate?
You would have to ask him.

Is someone who believes in the bodily resurrection of Jesus and His gospel but not believe in other parts of the Bible, are they a Christian or are they an apostate?

If a person denies the inerrancy and truthfulness of all scripture, I don't see how that person can honestly call themselves Christian.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
If a person denies the inerrancy and truthfulness of all scripture, I don't see how that person can honestly call themselves Christian.
God says how.
He gives them over to believe their own delusion,
so , they 'honestly' can do just about anything and call themselves anything they think.

Upvote 0

The Brown Brink

Apr 9, 2017
Kentucky
✟27,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I hate to say it, but sometimes I come across thing in the bible that make me wonder. When I was reading the book of Mark, I noticed some things toward the end, such as:

Mark15:46
"So Joseph bought some linen cloth, took down the body, wrapped it in the linen, and placed it in a tomb cut out of rock. Then he rolled a stone against the entrance of the tomb."

This seems to say that the stone covering the tomb was rolled into place by Joseph himself. How large could it have been if he was able to do it alone? But then we read:

Mark 16:2-4
2 Very early on the first day of the week, just after sunrise, they were on their way to the tomb
3and they asked each other, “Who will roll the stone away from the entrance of the tomb?”
4 But when they looked up, they saw that the stone, which was very large, had been rolled away.

I saw a documentary one time about ancient burials in that part of the world.
It showed a cave with a large, wheel-like rock standing flat against the entrance. It looked like it could roll away to the side fairly easily.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I saw a documentary one time about ancient burials in that part of the world.
It showed a cave with a large, wheel-like rock standing flat against the entrance. It looked like it could roll away to the side fairly easily.
When the cave was hewn, and made ready by the (edit: something got lost :) )
anyway - when it was made ready, the way it was made ready, sometimes years in advance, it was ready for one or more men to move the stone.
Remember also in the OT , when someone was in love with a woman who was present, he moved by himself a great stone that other sheep-herders together were surprised (as they were waiting for enough men present to move it together).
I hate to say it, but sometimes I come across thing in the bible that make me wonder. When I was reading the book of Mark, I noticed some things toward the end, such as:

Mark15:46
"So Joseph bought some linen cloth, took down the body, wrapped it in the linen, and placed it in a tomb cut out of rock. Then he rolled a stone against the entrance of the tomb."

This seems to say that the stone covering the tomb was rolled into place by Joseph himself. How large could it have been if he was able to do it alone? But then we read:

Mark 16:2-4
2 Very early on the first day of the week, just after sunrise, they were on their way to the tomb
3and they asked each other, “Who will roll the stone away from the entrance of the tomb?”
4 But when they looked up, they saw that the stone, which was very large, had been rolled away.
COOL!

but why wonder ? why doubt at all ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
There are multiples of parts of the BIBLE that can be rejected.
Remember that times change and so do people.
In context, there are stories of violence and wars, slavery, infidelity ..
As Christians were are not supposed to embrace these
Not true.
When understood properly, like TORAH, when used properly, is perfect.
Rejecting any part of what God or Jesus tells us is , well, not good.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
You cannot take what we know right now as final.
The Bible is final, truth, as is Jesus, who confirms the Bible always.

It is only mankind (helped of course by demons/satan) that came up with many devices, to discourage faith, to prevent faith in God when possible.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟651,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
GOOD !

Then, if something doesn't seem to make sense, then what ?

Who do we choose to trust, ourselves or God ?

Well, I decided to come here and ask about it to see if my own understanding of what I was reading was flawed. So I guess I guess I trust God, but still would like to have understanding of the basics.

Upvote 0