Can you be a Christian and reject certain parts of the Bible?

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Can you be a Christian and only believe some parts of the Bible? For example, can you reject a global Noah's Flood, a six-day creation, a literal exodus, etc.? Could you reject other parts as well, like Christ walking on water? Discuss.
Well I never think about whether if was a literal six day creation or not. That has no bearing on my salvation ( in my view)
A global Noahs flood wouldn't either.
The problem you run into over Jesus walking on water us. If you reject it, you must believe the gospels contain error in them. I don't think it is easy to then build a sure and steady faith through reading gospels you believe contain error

Just my view of course

Upvote 0

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
Well I never think about whether if was a literal six day creation or not. That has no bearing on my salvation ( in my view)
A global Noahs flood wouldn't either.
The problem you run into over Jesus walking on water us. If you reject it, you must believe the gospels contain error in them. I don't think it is easy to then build a sure and steady faith through reading gospels you believe contain error

Just my view of course

So it's not OK if the gospels contain error, but it is OK if other parts of the Bible contain error?

Upvote 0

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
No you can't reject anything in the bible, but you can reject different interpretations. You can also choose to believe things are symbolic as opposed to literal.

But at what point in time does a "different interpretation" really become rejecting the Bible itself?

Reactions: surrender1
Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So it's not OK if the gospels contain error, but it is OK if other parts of the Bible contain error?
A day or a thousand years is the same to God. So in my view you can take it as a literal six day creation or not.
Did the flood cover the whole earth, or only the whole earth man inhabited at the time?

Neither of these questions in anyway affect mans salvation, neither do they show the bible contains error, whichever view you take.
However, if you say the writers of the gospels wrote in error, you must believe the books through whom we read of Jesus words contain error. And our salvation comes through him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Can you be a Christian and only believe some parts of the Bible? For example, can you reject a global Noah's Flood, a six-day creation, a literal exodus, etc.? Could you reject other parts as well, like Christ walking on water? Discuss.

I believe it all. Always have. Luckily I was never brain-washed in public schools.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟651,120.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

I hate to say it, but sometimes I come across thing in the bible that make me wonder. When I was reading the book of Mark, I noticed some things toward the end, such as:

Mark15:46
"So Joseph bought some linen cloth, took down the body, wrapped it in the linen, and placed it in a tomb cut out of rock. Then he rolled a stone against the entrance of the tomb."

This seems to say that the stone covering the tomb was rolled into place by Joseph himself. How large could it have been if he was able to do it alone? But then we read:

Mark 16:2-4
2 Very early on the first day of the week, just after sunrise, they were on their way to the tomb
3and they asked each other, “Who will roll the stone away from the entrance of the tomb?”
4 But when they looked up, they saw that the stone, which was very large, had been rolled away.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I hate to say it, but sometimes I come across thing in the bible that make me wonder. When I was reading the book of Mark, I noticed some things toward the end, such as:

Mark15:46
"So Joseph bought some linen cloth, took down the body, wrapped it in the linen, and placed it in a tomb cut out of rock. Then he rolled a stone against the entrance of the tomb."

This seems to say that the stone covering the tomb was rolled into place by Joseph himself. How large could it have been if he was able to do it alone? But then we read:

Mark 16:2-4
2 Very early on the first day of the week, just after sunrise, they were on their way to the tomb
3and they asked each other, “Who will roll the stone away from the entrance of the tomb?”
4 But when they looked up, they saw that the stone, which was very large, had been rolled away.

Joseph of Arimathea was a very rich man. It would have been his "word" to his servants, and they would have actually rolled the stone. He just authorized it.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟651,120.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Joseph of Arimathea was a very rich man. It would have been his "word" to his servants, and they would have actually rolled the stone. He just authorized it.

Hmmm. Ok, I guess that makes sense.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You don't necessarily have to reject subjects entirely just because you don't understand it....nobody else does either.
Let me ask you.....whats worse?.....misunderstanding a verse and holding one view as solid FACT or is it worse to doubt that explanation, yet not have a better one to replace it?
I would guess the first one is worse because it may be completely wrong.
It is perfectly OK to admit you just don't know. I have learned many many deep secrets about textx in the bible but there are many that I will admit that I do not know the correct view.
Its not really a big deal. It may be a big deal to say that Noah's flood is only an analogy when there is every possibility that it actually occurred. The truth is you were not there and I was not there and there is nobody alive today that was there so we can ask them.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
You don't necessarily have to reject subjects entirely just because you don't understand it....nobody else does either.
Let me ask you.....whats worse?.....misunderstanding a verse and holding one view as solid FACT or is it worse to doubt that explanation, yet not have a better one to replace it?
I would guess the first one is worse because it may be completely wrong.
It is perfectly OK to admit you just don't know. I have learned many many deep secrets about textx in the bible but there are many that I will admit that I do not know the correct view.
Its not really a big deal. It may be a big deal to say that Noah's flood is only an analogy when there is every possibility that it actually occurred. The truth is you were not there and I was not there and there is nobody alive today that was there so we can ask them.

Do you have examples of what you are having trouble with like Aldebaran had? Someone on the forum could shed some light on it for you.

Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do you have examples of what you are having trouble with like Aldebaran had? Someone on the forum could shed some light on it for you.
I mentioned Noah's flood, but I am sure many question events like the talking Donkey and the staff turning to a snake. I only said that its OK to doubt them but we should not necessarily say they are wrong, that's all.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟651,120.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I mentioned Noah's flood, but I am sure many question events like the talking Donkey and the staff turning to a snake. I only said that its OK to doubt them but we should not necessarily say they are wrong, that's all.

As for the donkey and snake examples, I think those would fall under what we would call miraculous or supernatural events. Those can't be explained in a scientific way that most people would accept.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But at what point in time does a "different interpretation" really become rejecting the Bible itself?
Never. If you are interpreting the bible, you have to believe it is true.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

If I rejected parts of God's Word I personally wouldn't call myself a Christian. Please also bear in mind that God spoke to using both literal language and metaphoric. Ten Commandments : literal. Good Samaritan: metaphoric.

Also, Leviticus contains three types of laws, moral, ceremonial, and civil. Moral laws are binding on all of us. Civil laws regulated how the Israelites were to interract with each other and pagans (ex: lending money, slaves etc.). Ceremonial laws dealt with clean and unclean things, sacrifices, festivals etc. These were also for the Israelites (we don't have to sacrifice animals to atone for our sins).

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My mind will try to assign probability to certain passages instead of claim to know with absolute certainty. I think Christ may have walked on water and did miracles.

I do not believe God created the world within six days. I believe God has guided the development of species.

• Agree
Reactions: Tony717
Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is an old maxim about Bible interpretation, "If the plain sense makes good sense it is nonsense to look for any other sense." The converse would be "If the plain sense does not make good sense then we should look for another, i.e. figurative, symbolic etc. sense."
As for the talking donkey and serpent, not snake, I have seen people make a lifeless dummy and even a dog appear to talk. I don't think it would be any great problem for God, who after all did create the world, etc, to make creatures speak or appear to.
Someone mentioned the good Samaritan above. That is something within the realm of possibility. It could have been a real event which Jesus cited to illustrate the commandment to love your neighbor.

Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I think that point happens when a Christian becomes someone like Bart Ehrman. When a Christian starts denying the bodily resurrection of Jesus into ethereal theological platitudes about what the kingdom of God represents here on earth now.

• Agree
Reactions: Tony717
Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Everyone rejects parts of the Bible. Since the Bible is self contradictory, it's impossible to accept the entire thing, at least literally.

Upvote 0