• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Can you advise me about stealing?

Kostilaks

Aug 24, 2018
Macedonia
✟72,424.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
ok. i do not feel well when I download movies and music stuff etc... but just because the law forbids it, i do not agree that is stealing. i mean, if someone was sharing with you a tool would that be stealing? so then why downloading movies is like stealing? most of the companies make a lot of money no matter what. plus they give you a physical copy of the disc that when you download you cant find it. plus there is material you cant find it in your country like newest episode shown in tv etc. anyway, i would like you to focus on this: I stopped downloading programs that are not free to use, that you need a key activator. I was using winrar for free. but the winrar has a notice like "after 40 days of free trial buy it or unistall it" i have been using the program for years because it never locked after 40 days of free trial. i decided to uninstall today and downloaded a free to use similar program. i was making a youtube video and after unistalling the program, i remembered that some files i was using for my video were unrared with the trial expired program. so i did not feel well. i was ready to delete my file just to unzip it with the free program but that would need me to do what i was doing from the start again. so i kept working with my file that was unzipped with the expired program that the company wants money after 40 days of free trial, even though the program runs with no problem. i finished my work and uploaded the video but was that right?

PizzaAddict

Jun 23, 2019
Krakow
✟11,331.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
ok. i do not feel well when I download movies and music stuff etc... but just because the law forbids it, i do not agree that is stealing. i mean, if someone was sharing with you a tool would that be stealing? so then why downloading movies is like stealing? most of the companies make a lot of money no matter what. plus they give you a physical copy of the disc that when you download you cant find it. plus there is material you cant find it in your country like newest episode shown in tv etc. anyway, i would like you to focus on this: I stopped downloading programs that are not free to use, that you need a key activator. I was using winrar for free. but the winrar has a notice like "after 40 days of free trial buy it or unistall it" i have been using the program for years because it never locked after 40 days of free trial. i decided to uninstall today and downloaded a free to use similar program. i was making a youtube video and after unistalling the program, i remembered that some files i was using for my video were unrared with the trial expired program. so i did not feel well. i was ready to delete my file just to unzip it with the free program but that would need me to do what i was doing from the start again. so i kept working with my file that was unzipped with the expired program that the company wants money after 40 days of free trial, even though the program runs with no problem. i finished my work and uploaded the video but was that right?

Just use 7Zip is free and better. Yes it's technically stealing what you did but there is "meme" about people who paid for winrar and people make fun of them .

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
ok. i do not feel well when I download movies and music stuff etc... but just because the law forbids it, i do not agree that is stealing.
It is.

That's not because the law forbids it so much as because you are willfully depriving the owner of money he is owed. You know this because of the information you gave us here.

Upvote 0

Ozious

Jun 22, 2016
United States
✟21,377.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You see, these are two separate events; using the program against their statement is one thing, and whatever comes from you using it is another. Yes, using it past the "expiration date" isn't exactly right, but unzipping files in and of itself is no sin. You've already righted your wrong by deleting the old program and using a free one. There's no point in deleting your files just to unzip them again.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So, what you're talking about is a genuine issue, but the way you're handling it seems to be obsessive, in my opinion. Everyone has their own opinion about what they will do or not do in areas like these. Those of us with OCD often have tender consciences with things like this. I know that I am more scrupulous than some of my other family members in matters like these. For some people, it wouldn't bother them at all. But I would say that if you feel that you shouldn't, then try not to. But, it's hard when we have OCD because sometimes we are too scrupulous. In my opinion, in this case you should stop doing the things that you think are dishonest, but don't freak out too much about what you've already done. For example, I probably wouldn't go back and delete the video that you've already made. Just move forward and make better choices in the future.

Upvote 0