Can women sing solo worship songs in public?

Sune

Oct 13, 2020
Australia
✟28,117.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Hi all, I realise this may seem like a strange question, but I've been wondering if a women performing worship songs to a mixed audience would violate 1 Tim 2:12, where Paul says women should not teach men, given that singing is also seen as a form of teaching (Col 3:16).

I personally love to sing, and to sing to my God. However looking online, the only view I can see is this one: You are being redirected.... While I understand his point, I am struggling with this, especially given how many female Christian singers are around.

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,748.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi all, I realise this may seem like a strange question, but I've been wondering if a women performing worship songs to a mixed audience would violate 1 Tim 2:12, where Paul says women should not teach men, given that singing is also seen as a form of teaching (Col 3:16).

I personally love to sing, and to sing to my God. However looking online, the only view I can see is this one: You are being redirected.... While I understand his point, I am struggling with this, especially given how many female Christian singers are around.
1 Tim 2:12 is about authority in the church. After all, it wasn't wrong for Lydia to share the Gospel with her family (Acts 16:13-15). You're not exerting authority by singing praise songs in public, let alone ecclesiastical authority.

. . . and I just noticed I'm in a congregational forum. Mods, do with this as you wish.

Reactions: Sune
Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Psalm 98 ESV

"Oh sing to the Lord a new song,
for he has done marvelous things!
His right hand and his holy arm
have worked salvation for him.
The Lord has made known his salvation;
he has revealed his righteousness in the sight of the nations.
He has remembered his steadfast love and faithfulness
to the house of Israel.
All the ends of the earth have seen
the salvation of our God.

Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth;
break forth into joyous song and sing praises!
Sing praises to the Lord with the lyre,
with the lyre and the sound of melody!
With trumpets and the sound of the horn
make a joyful noise before the King, the Lord!

Let the sea roar, and all that fills it;
the world and those who dwell in it!
Let the rivers clap their hands;
let the hills sing for joy together
before the Lord, for he comes
to judge the earth.
He will judge the world with righteousness,
and the peoples with equity."

What conditions are imposed here for NOT singing praise unto the Lord?

He created every part of you, including your vocal cords. If you have a beautiful singing voice that can bless others, bless them, but give HIM the glory.

But if you are one to give more loyalty to your churches way of doing things than to what God says in His Word then maybe you should do a Bible study on Loyalty to God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
given that singing is also seen as a form of teaching (Col 3:16).
"Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts." Col 3:16 NIV
Yours may be a loose interpretation of this verse, IMO. The last phrase clearly does not say that it is teaching as it is a singing in response with gratitude of the former phrases.
Secondly, not all songs are "educational" or evangelical songs but rather songs of praise and worship. SOME songs are and could be regarded as teaching through song.

Reactions: Sune
Upvote 0