• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Can Women Be Pastors?

Discussion in 'Christian Advice' started by Your Brother In Christ, Feb 4, 2017.

1. God will choose who he wants

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. God will chose who He wants

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. No, women can not be a pastor

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
  1. Your Brother In Christ

Your Brother In Christ Christian YouTuber

+207
    United States
    Christian
    Single

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. fm107

fm107 Psalm 19:1-4 and Romans 1:20

+76
    United Kingdom
    Protestant
    Single
    1 Timothy 2:12
    I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet.

1 Corinthians 14:34
    Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says.

Don't need any interpretation here, it's black and white.

God does not contradict himself.

3. THE W

THE W AFRIKANB0T

+2,244
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Single
    this should probably be in the "controversial Christian theology" section.

anyway...I say no.

*release the hounds*

4. South Bound

South Bound I stand with Israel.

+966
    Christian
    Married
    No. Women cannot be pastors by any Biblical criteria of that office.

Yes, I know there were women judges in Israel and women who contributed to the early church and women who were evangelists.

But none of those women were pastors, so don't waste your breath.

Likewise, it is not misogynist or sexist or patriarchal to say that women have a vital role to play in the life of the Church, just not in the pastorate.

5. tturt

tturt Senior Veteran

+2,518
    Non-Denom
    Married
    posted: "Don't need any interpretation here, it's black and white."

No, it doesn't need interpretation, it was Paul's opinion - "I" like you said, it's in black and white.

6. Greg J.

Greg J. Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,881
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    The verse is:

I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.
    (1 Timothy 2:12, 1984 NIV)

I find that people can't evaluate my interpretation as long as they still think Scripture says:

I do not permit a woman to be a pastor; she must be silent. (The Greek word for pastor means shepherd.)

For those interested, study what the spiritual difference is between having a title that implies authority, being granted actual authority, and actually exercising that authority.

7. AJTruth

AJTruth Active Member Supporter

+149
    Non-Denom
    Private
    My opinion no.

Genesis 3:16
    16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

I believe this scripture shines some light on the OP question as well as other scriptures posted.

8. RaymondG

RaymondG Well-Known Member

+2,661
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    If we are on the literal, milk, level, we read it as is and apply it to our carnal minds and the flesh. In this case, we say 3 little pigs really built houses and if you are born a female, you should not talk in the church buildings.

If we want to try to get to the meat....think a little spiritual....we might consider other options. What if pigs dont build houses and the story was to convey the importance of building on a strong foundation?

What if women was a play on emotions...e.g. while in church preach the word, lay aside all emotions and speak the truth.

Or what if women is a play on your higher subconscious mind....who is in fact subject to the lower mind....which makes the statement true: what a man thinks (with his conscious mind) so is he?

We miss the vase majority of the teachings by only applying our wisdom to it. which is foolishness to God.....

9. Goodbook

Goodbook Reading the Bible

+5,043
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Is this needing any advice are you struggling with this?

Sorry. Pastors can be either sex because pastoring isnt limited to men, but men actually need men to teach them cos 1) many wont listen to women..this isnt a failing on womens part but because men can be a bit thick!
    2) men learn differently.

There is order in the church and women who are pastoring will find they have a hard time of it in terms of authority but again as someone said its Pauls opinion which can be valid as a general rule of thumb. But women in quietness and meekness can be immensely influential in other ways.

The thorny bit is whether Paul was referring to unregenerate i.e not born again christians women who were entering the church and being noisy. I imagine the corinthian church to be in a bit of chaos and timothy being called to minister to an unruly crowd filled with vociferous women!

10. Joined2krist

Joined2krist Well-Known Member

+431
    Catholic
    Single
    Since women are vessels of the Holy Spirit of course we can be Pastors too.

11. Greg J.

Greg J. Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,881
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Btw,

Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good.
    (Titus 2:3, 1984 NIV)

12. NothingIsImpossible

NothingIsImpossible Well-Known Member

+2,837
    Christian
    Married
    My wifes mother is a pastor. Do I think they can be one? I don't see why not. Like anything else people can twist scripture to fit their views.

13. All4Christ

All4Christ ✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙ Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+6,116
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Ambassador Hat
    [​IMG]

Please remember that Christian Advice is a non-debate area for members to ask and receive Biblically-based, Christian advice for a struggle they are encountering. Discussions and debates about specific Christian theological doctrines should be posted in one of the Theology forums.

14. fm107

fm107 Psalm 19:1-4 and Romans 1:20

+76
    United Kingdom
    Protestant
    Single
    Let's rip out of the Bible all Paul's letters to the churches, after all it's just his opinion.
    Let's rip out the books John wrote, James, Peter - only opinions after all?

2 Timothy 3:16
    All Scripture is God-breathed

15. DukeJohn

DukeJohn Intermediary

+15
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    US-Republican
    I think you might be mistaken, God inspired every word in the Bible, It wasn't just Paul's opinion, but God's command.

16. Goodbook

Goodbook Reading the Bible

+5,043
    Christian
    In Relationship
    There is now an egalitarian christians forum in the faith groups.

Go and discuss it there. Think there may even be women pastors posting! This forum is advice.

I think some people confuse pastors with teachers. They actually are two different roles.

17. All4Christ

All4Christ ✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙ Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+6,116
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Actually, a debate about this would be more proper for Christian Philosophy and Ethics rather than the Egalitarian forum. That particular forum is a similar to the faith group Forums, in that you can't debate against Egalitarian Christianity.

18. 2PhiloVoid

2PhiloVoid Kobayashi Maru? What're you even talk'n about?! Supporter

+4,808
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    I think it is possible for God to put some women into leadership positions, but more or less it will be the exception rather than the rule.

If we can accept, at the least, that there are Christian Prophetesses (as well as Deborahs in Israel), I think we can occasionally make room for the woman who truly feels called to pastor a church, assuming she actually holds to bona-fide Christian truths rather than selling-out to libertarian predilections.

That's my feeling about it. Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong.

Peace,
    2PhiloVoid

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  19. Avniel

Avniel Doing my part each day by being the best me

+363
    Pentecostal
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Unfortunately I have to agree with you. South bond not surprised.....some people believe this because of God's will and some people are accustom to a lazy way thinking that allow them to place traits on individuals based on their appearances. You're from the south I'm sure you understand.

I think there's a difference between being a Christian that believes in the word of God and rejoicing due to the ability to lawfully remain control. One comes from a certain type of privilege and out while the other is more so an attempt
    To keep women in bondage.