✟61,300.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
1 Timothy 2:12
I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet.

1 Corinthians 14:34
Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says.

Don't need any interpretation here, it's black and white.

God does not contradict himself.

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No. Women cannot be pastors by any Biblical criteria of that office.

Yes, I know there were women judges in Israel and women who contributed to the early church and women who were evangelists.

But none of those women were pastors, so don't waste your breath.

Likewise, it is not misogynist or sexist or patriarchal to say that women have a vital role to play in the life of the Church, just not in the pastorate.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The verse is:

I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.
(1 Timothy 2:12, 1984 NIV)

I find that people can't evaluate my interpretation as long as they still think Scripture says:

I do not permit a woman to be a pastor; she must be silent. (The Greek word for pastor means shepherd.)

For those interested, study what the spiritual difference is between having a title that implies authority, being granted actual authority, and actually exercising that authority.

Upvote 0

AJTruth

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
winter haven fl
✟22,122.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
My opinion no.

Genesis 3:16
16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

I believe this scripture shines some light on the OP question as well as other scriptures posted.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If we are on the literal, milk, level, we read it as is and apply it to our carnal minds and the flesh. In this case, we say 3 little pigs really built houses and if you are born a female, you should not talk in the church buildings.

If we want to try to get to the meat....think a little spiritual....we might consider other options. What if pigs dont build houses and the story was to convey the importance of building on a strong foundation?

What if women was a play on emotions...e.g. while in church preach the word, lay aside all emotions and speak the truth.

Or what if women is a play on your higher subconscious mind....who is in fact subject to the lower mind....which makes the statement true: what a man thinks (with his conscious mind) so is he?

We miss the vase majority of the teachings by only applying our wisdom to it. which is foolishness to God.....

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Is this needing any advice are you struggling with this?

Sorry. Pastors can be either sex because pastoring isnt limited to men, but men actually need men to teach them cos 1) many wont listen to women..this isnt a failing on womens part but because men can be a bit thick!
2) men learn differently.

There is order in the church and women who are pastoring will find they have a hard time of it in terms of authority but again as someone said its Pauls opinion which can be valid as a general rule of thumb. But women in quietness and meekness can be immensely influential in other ways.

The thorny bit is whether Paul was referring to unregenerate i.e not born again christians women who were entering the church and being noisy. I imagine the corinthian church to be in a bit of chaos and timothy being called to minister to an unruly crowd filled with vociferous women!

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ambassador Hat
AmbassadorNoDebate_zps571d8a5f.jpg

Please remember that Christian Advice is a non-debate area for members to ask and receive Biblically-based, Christian advice for a struggle they are encountering. Discussions and debates about specific Christian theological doctrines should be posted in one of the Theology forums.

Christian Advice Statement of Purpose

Christian Advice is a non-debate area for members to ask and receive Biblically-based, Christian advice for a struggle they are encountering. Christian Advice is a Christians only forum. Non-Christians may ask for advice for a struggle they are encountering in theStruggles by Non-Christians forum.

Christian advice is defined as advice which contains basic Christian principles that do not conflict with the site's Statement of Faith.
We would ask that members direct their responses to the member who started the thread and refrain from debating one another's theological beliefs and viewpoints. Do not use this forum to debate with other Christians as that is not the purpose of the Christian Advice forum. If members would like to discuss/debate specific Christian theological doctrines, they should do so in one of the Theology forums.

Members who post a thread with the intent to give advice, not ask for advice, may either have their thread moved to more appropriate forum, or removed as off topic if there isn't a suitable forum for their thread.

Topics of sex or premarital sex are off topic and may not be discussed or promoted in the Christian Advice forum. If you wish to discuss this topic without promotion, please do so in the Men's Discussion only/Women's Discussion only private forums.

Upvote 0

fm107

Psalm 19:1-4 and Romans 1:20
May 12, 2009
London, UK
✟61,300.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
posted: "Don't need any interpretation here, it's black and white."

No, it doesn't need interpretation, it was Paul's opinion - "I" like you said, it's in black and white.

Let's rip out of the Bible all Paul's letters to the churches, after all it's just his opinion.
Let's rip out the books John wrote, James, Peter - only opinions after all?

2 Timothy 3:16
All Scripture is God-breathed

Upvote 0

DukeJohn

Intermediary
Jan 4, 2014
✟8,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
posted: "Don't need any interpretation here, it's black and white."

No, it doesn't need interpretation, it was Paul's opinion - "I" like you said, it's in black and white.

I think you might be mistaken, God inspired every word in the Bible, It wasn't just Paul's opinion, but God's command.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
There is now an egalitarian christians forum in the faith groups.

Go and discuss it there. Think there may even be women pastors posting! This forum is advice.

I think some people confuse pastors with teachers. They actually are two different roles.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Actually, a debate about this would be more proper for Christian Philosophy and Ethics rather than the Egalitarian forum. That particular forum is a similar to the faith group Forums, in that you can't debate against Egalitarian Christianity.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I think it is possible for God to put some women into leadership positions, but more or less it will be the exception rather than the rule.

If we can accept, at the least, that there are Christian Prophetesses (as well as Deborahs in Israel), I think we can occasionally make room for the woman who truly feels called to pastor a church, assuming she actually holds to bona-fide Christian truths rather than selling-out to libertarian predilections.

That's my feeling about it. Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong.

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: dude99
Upvote 0

Avniel

Doing my part each day by being the best me
Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
No. Women cannot be pastors by any Biblical criteria of that office.

Yes, I know there were women judges in Israel and women who contributed to the early church and women who were evangelists.

But none of those women were pastors, so don't waste your breath.

Likewise, it is not misogynist or sexist or patriarchal to say that women have a vital role to play in the life of the Church, just not in the pastorate.
Unfortunately I have to agree with you. South bond not surprised.....some people believe this because of God's will and some people are accustom to a lazy way thinking that allow them to place traits on individuals based on their appearances. You're from the south I'm sure you understand.

I think there's a difference between being a Christian that believes in the word of God and rejoicing due to the ability to lawfully remain control. One comes from a certain type of privilege and out while the other is more so an attempt
To keep women in bondage.

Upvote 0