Can we teach people discipline and self control?

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟71,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I am not sure that prison is the right solution. But we need to do something. In China, they have re-training centers. In America, we have tried military-like programs. Their effectiveness in stopping people from breaking the law is not fully established, and it is important to consider the potential negative effects of such programs when deciding whether or not to implement them.

Science is working on trying to control violence in people. The more advanced areas of the cortex need to be developed to control the more primitive areas of the brain core. We were hunter gathers before we became "civilized".

Apr 19, 2020
Virginia
✟95,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Isn't child rearing where this is supposed to be instilled?

I lived in a 'hood for seven years and observed that most of the cultural problems were generational. Lack of self control, spontaneous rage,
lack of ethics, bad attitudes and extreme selfishness. I shouldn't leave out maliciousness and manipulation.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I am not sure that prison is the right solution. But we need to do something. In China, they have re-training centers. In America, we have tried military-like programs. Their effectiveness in stopping people from breaking the law is not fully established, and it is important to consider the potential negative effects of such programs when deciding whether or not to implement them.

Science is working on trying to control violence in people. The more advanced areas of the cortex need to be developed to control the more primitive areas of the brain core. We were hunter gathers before we became "civilized".
The problem will not be solved by science. Human nature can be controlled and suppressed, but not changed. Since people have rejected God's method of raising children, their offspring have become rebellious monsters capable of the worst kind of crimes. We have towns in Australia that are effectively controlled by criminals who should be in primary school, not breaking into homes and assaulting people.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟71,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Human nature can be controlled and suppressed, but not changed.
The Bible talks about 1,000 years of peace. But maybe like after WW2 when people were so sick of war they only wanted peace. For now it seems to be getting worse.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟71,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I lived in a 'hood for seven years and observed that most of the cultural problems were generational.
I seen that happen with my first son. His mom was determined to drag him down with her no matter what I said or what I did. She is feeling bad about it now that is to late to change the way it all turned out.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
The Bible talks about 1,000 years of peace. But maybe like after WW2 when people were so sick of war they only wanted peace. For now it seems to be getting worse.
The difference is that Satan will be bound for 1,000 years and unable to lead people astray.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟71,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Since people have rejected God's method of raising children,
Any single parent can tell you that God's plan is for a man and a woman to work together to raise children. Yet in some situations, up to 70% of parents are single parents.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Any single parent can tell you that God's plan is for a man and a woman to work together to raise children. Yet in some situations, up to 70% of parents are single parents.
Sure. It's the consequence of mankind turning away from God. People reap what they sow.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

It's been observed that behavioral modification programs do not help people modify their behavior.

People keep trying it because it's like pressing a button, actually dealing with people is hard.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟71,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Sure. It's the consequence of mankind turning away from God. People reap what they sow.
We are told only a third will be saved. I am not sure what happens to those who turn away from God. Some say we replace a third of the angels that were cast down to the earth.

Revelation 12:4

His tail swept down a third of the stars of heaven and cast them to the earth.

Zechariah 13
…8 And in all the land, declares the LORD, two-thirds will be cut off and perish, but a third will be left in it. 9 This third I will bring through the fire; I will refine them like silver and test them like gold. They will call on My name, and I will answer them. I will say, ‘They are My people,’ and they will say, ‘The LORD is our God.’”

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟71,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
It's been observed that behavioral modification programs do not help people modify their behavior.
We use to try to help alcoholics. The skid row bums were sleeping under the bridge. We even gave them a room and a bed to sleep in. I have no idea where they got their money to drink. Only about 10% of them would get sober. The other 90% would not give up their drinking. 10% is considered to be a remnant.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
We use to try to help alcoholics. The skid row bums were sleeping under the bridge. We even gave them a room and a bed to sleep in. I have no idea where they got their money to drink. Only about 10% of them would get sober. The other 90% would not give up their drinking. 10% is considered to be a remnant.
People need a reason to change, it has to be their own.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟71,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
People need a reason to change, it has to be their own.
If we want to do something, that makes it a lot easier. Their family would visit on Sunday. The family wanted them to change, but I guess they did not want to.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
We are told only a third will be saved. I am not sure what happens to those who turn away from God. Some say we replace a third of the angels that were cast down to the earth.

Revelation 12:4

His tail swept down a third of the stars of heaven and cast them to the earth.

Zechariah 13
…8 And in all the land, declares the LORD, two-thirds will be cut off and perish, but a third will be left in it. 9 This third I will bring through the fire; I will refine them like silver and test them like gold. They will call on My name, and I will answer them. I will say, ‘They are My people,’ and they will say, ‘The LORD is our God.’”
I'm not convinced that Zechariah 13 refers to the church. I'd be amazed if 1/3 of the world gets saved.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟71,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I'm not convinced that Zechariah 13 refers to the church.
This sort of interpretation is what they teach in Bible College. First, you look at who the Bible is written for, then you look at how that applies to us today. Everything in the Bible applies to us today.

The Bible, including the Old Testament which was written primarily for the "Jewish" people, still holds relevance for people of many different cultures and religions today, including Christians and non-Christians.

It's worth noting that while the Bible is widely regarded as a significant text, different people and communities may understand and interpret its messages in different ways.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟71,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
So you think we should be sacrificing animals in the temple?
Bingo, you just showed us you do not know the difference between the letter of the law and the spirit of the law. If they start sacrificing animals on the temple mount then you will know you are in the tribulation period. The age of Grace - Mercy - Love & Forgiveness will have come to an end.

Psalm 51 16 For You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; You take no pleasure in burnt offerings. 17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and a contrite heart, O God, You will not despise.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Bingo, you just showed us you do not know the difference between the letter of the law and the spirit of the law. If they start sacrificing animals on the temple mount then you will know you are in the tribulation period. The age of Grace - Mercy - Love & Forgiveness will have come to an end.

Psalm 51 16 For You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; You take no pleasure in burnt offerings. 17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and a contrite heart, O God, You will not despise.
I was simply pointing out that your statement is wrong. Not everything in the Bible is applicable today.

Reactions: look4hope
Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟71,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I was simply pointing out that your statement is wrong. Not everything in the Bible is applicable today.
Sounds like an excuse for people to do what they want. All they have to do is say that is not relevant today. Same as our liberal supreme court that does not want to follow the traditional teaching of the constitution.

Upvote 0