Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Yes. I certainly did for a while and wandered in the wilderness like the Israelites (Numbers 32:13). Finally, I fully yielded to Him and was baptized in the Holy Spirit and began to receive His word (Jeremiah 1:4). The Holy Spirit has been remarkably patient with me:).

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes. I certainly did for a while and wandered in the wilderness like the Israelites (Numbers 32:13). Finally, I fully yielded to Him and was baptized in the Holy Spirit and began to receive His word (Jeremiah 1:4). The Holy Spirit has been remarkably patient with me:).
Yes but if Hes leading you from within, to yield to Him, then dont you already have the Spirit? Whats it mean to be baptized in the Spirit?

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jonah did.
Yes. Perhaps Peter did too when he denied the Lord three times, and also when the Lord called Peter Satan. The Lord first praised Peter for speaking by Gods Spirit but then calls Peter Satan? Did Peter resist Gods Spirit in that example?

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I say yes we can. Look at Jonah.

In you question, were you asking in relation to all of mankind, from Adam to today, or were you asking in relation to how Christians specifically would act?

John 1:3
But Jonah rose up to flee unto Tarshish from the presence of the LORD,

Are we assuming the (Presence of the Lord) to be the Holy Spirit?

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In you question, were you asking in relation to all of mankind, from Adam to today, or were you asking in relation to how Christians specifically would act?

John 1:3
But Jonah rose up to flee unto Tarshish from the presence of the LORD,

Are we assuming the (Presence of the Lord) to be the Holy Spirit?
Im referring to Christians only. The scripture says the word of the Lord came to Jonah. Was that by Gods Spirit? Yes, i would think so anyway. But i dont really know.

What about Peter did he resist Gods Spirit when He denied the Lord three times?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
OK, then referring to Jonah is a moot point.

Did Peter resist Gods' Spirit by denying Christ three times?

Was the Holy Spirit prompting Peter to do something?

Jesus told Peter he would do what he did, so no he didn't resist.

Is it possible for a Christian to resist the Holy Spirit, we are told not to Quench the Holy Spirit, but Quenching is extinguishing not Resisting.

There isn't any teaching on the possible Resisting of the Holy Spirit, therefore I would say No, Christians can't Resist the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, we can.

From John 15,
"2 Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit [My Father] takes away;..."
"6 If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned."

These verses speak of a person who has been grafted [into the Kingdom], but have failed to bear fruit (implying that they resisted God's Spirit past their initial Salvation).

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,874.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Thoughts?

Yes, you can. I don't know how many people here (and anyplace else) I've heard say they at some point "went prodigal", or that they became Mormon, or thought they practiced wicca, or whatever else there is that leads them astray. Many of them return, but many do not.

If a person is tempted to leave the faith they are resisting God's will, even if only temporarily. But then many resist permanently.

Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟453,608.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes but if Hes leading you from within, to yield to Him, then dont you already have the Spirit? Whats it mean to be baptized in the Spirit?

Is like the bible, at pentecost and other occasions they were 'filled' with the Holy spirit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Anyone who commits a sin resists the Holy Spirit, our guide and conscience. Do Christians ever commit sins?

If they do, then they are sinners.

A Christian is Dead to the Flesh

John 3:6
That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Rom. 6:4
Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

A Christian is Dead to the Law

1Co. 15:56
The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.

Rom. 7:6
But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

A Christian is Dead to sin.

Rom. 6:2
God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

Rom. 6:11
Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Not only so, but Jesus Destroyed Sin in the Flesh.

Rom. 8:3,4
3) For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh,
God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

4) That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Upvote 0