Can we really be a non-denominational church?

Jesusthekingofking

Jun 16, 2019
-
✟38,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
denomination means
- a recognized autonomous branch of the Christian Church.

so we have Roman Catholic, Protestant and Eastern orthodox. And in protestant we have many more denomination. So Christians are all over these places.

No man except God is able to unite the church again. As a result of the reformation, we have so many splits, because people start to interpret the bible by themselves. Then each denominations have their confessional document like for the Lutheran they summarize they believe in the book of concord, for the calvinist they ascribe to the westminster confession, common book of prayer for the Anglican etc. You may say what about those who aren't lutheran, calvin follower or meet in anglican church? You might follow other knowledgable teacher like wesley. Or if you decide to study the bible on your own only then you're in a sense the pope by your own.

• Informative
Reactions: Arc F1

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟323,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
denomination means

so we have Roman Catholic, Protestant and Eastern orthodox. And in protestant we have many more denomination. So Christians are all over these places.

No man except God is able to unite the church again. As a result of the reformation, we have so many splits, because people start to interpret the bible by themselves. Then each denominations have their confessional document like for the Lutheran they summarize they believe in the book of concord, for the calvinist they ascribe to the westminster confession, common book of prayer for the Anglican etc. You may say what about those who aren't lutheran, calvin follower or meet in anglican church? You might follow other knowledgable teacher like wesley. Or if you decide to study the bible on your own only then you're in a sense the pope by your own.

That's the way I've described it before. Being you're own pope. I got tired of it a long time ago. Taking the idea of denomination to the extreme, everyone else is wrong and I'm right. That is the natural conclusion of it. And there have been thousands of people throughout history who have held themselves up to be just that.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
denomination means

When it comes down to something this important I don't think you should put all your faith into someone else's interpretation. I wouldn't want to listen to someone tell me this is what it means and never open a Bible to see for myself. Many of the elect will be deceived because they will trust in someone else.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The early church often met in homes. This changed into denominational business franchises that began selling religious products and services to believers. These are not the Church, the Church is the people. But these franchises divide the body of Christ pitting one group against another. Selling half-truths and false claims to the believers who subscribe to them.

Upvote 0

Childofgodharrison

Aug 27, 2018
Abilene
✟34,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
denomination means

***There are not suppose to be denominations. There is only one body of Christ. We do need to study on our own and let the Holy Spirit help us to understand, so that we get the right understanding. There are some that are true teachers of God. They are those who travel teaching the Gospel and that live by faith. They don't make a pay check they are cared for by God. The Churches are under another covering. That's why they are kept in infancy. All they teach you is why we need Jesus. We have to move on to meat and get off of milk. We already know we need Jesus. Most of them are inspirational speakers.

Upvote 0

Jesusthekingofking

Jun 16, 2019
-
✟38,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When it comes down to something this important I don't think you should put all your faith into someone else's interpretation. I wouldn't want to listen to someone tell me this is what it means and never open a Bible to see for myself. Many of the elect will be deceived because they will trust in someone else.
I agree, but that's not the issue. All denominations in protestants says they read the bible

Upvote 0

Jesusthekingofking

Jun 16, 2019
-
✟38,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
***There are not suppose to be denominations. There is only one body of Christ. We do need to study on our own and let the Holy Spirit help us to understand, so that we get the right understanding. There are some that are true teachers of God. They are those who travel teaching the Gospel and that live by faith. They don't make a pay check they are cared for by God. The Churches are under another covering. That's why they are kept in infancy. All they teach you is why we need Jesus. We have to move on to meat and get off of milk. We already know we need Jesus. Most of them are inspirational speakers.
I didn't say there isn't only one body of Christ, I simply says they are many branches of the one church.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
denomination means
Each of us in Christ is an autonomous member of the body of Jesus, but we are dependent on one another who are also members of the body of Jesus, like how members of a human body depend on one another.

And God has us now already in unity, by having us submit to how He rules us "in one body" in His own peace > this is basic to our Christian calling > "to which also you were called in one body" >

"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful." (Colossians 3:15)

Our Heavenly Father now coordinates us "in one body" > in His peace we are in His own harmony so we are coordinated according to His own ability and level of intelligence with all He knows is true.

So we are commanded to simply submit to Him ruling us with His own peace in our "hearts", we have in Colossians 3:15 > "in your hearts" > this is how personally God cares for and shares with and rules us who are His children.

This is included in our basic Christian calling > of all who are "called in one body" < so this is for every child of God.

Jesus Christ is the Lord of all who personally rules us in His very own peace, while we obey Him. This is the best way to be ruled by Jesus.

Or, ones can be ruled by God's resistance > "God resists the proud" (in James 4:6, 1 Peter 5:5).

"Therefore submit to God" > in James 4:7.

"for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure." (Philippians 2:13)

God will guide our attention, by the way, so we don't get tangled and even mangled in trying to figure out which groups are right or wrong. The name is Jesus.

Upvote 0

Childofgodharrison

Aug 27, 2018
Abilene
✟34,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I didn't say there isn't only one body of Christ, I simply says they are many branches of the one church.
I don't agree. They are divided. They are many little bodies. Not the one body of Christ.

Upvote 0

creslaw

Site Supporter
Oct 20, 2015
✟171,835.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is it needful that there be only one interpretation of the Bible? I find that there is a core foundation in the acceptance of the atonement and the deity of Jesus Christ by every Christian I have ever spoken to no matter what brand they wear. God allows some differences to exist ... perhaps to teach us tolerance of others.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree, but that's not the issue. All denominations in protestants says they read the bible
I hear that.

No, it is not genuinely possible to be truly, truly non-denominational. We are all influenced by someone, even if only by ourselves and what seems or feels right to us. Even non-denomnational churches are clearly influenced by some pre-existing beliefs or movements within Christian history.

Upvote 0

Childofgodharrison

Aug 27, 2018
Abilene
✟34,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I hear that.

No, it is not genuinely possible to be truly, truly non-denominational. We are all influenced by someone, even if only by ourselves and what seems or feels right to us. Even non-denomnational churches are clearly influenced by some pre-existing beliefs or movements within Christian history.
That's right but me are only suppose to influence by Jesus and no one else. That's what Paul was telling the Corinthians. In cor: 3. They divided up into denominations and got away from the Spirit that they started with. That the reason why the road is narrow that leads to everlasting life. People have been very deceived. It was handed down to us and that's what we excepted. But it's time to uncover the truth.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's right but me are only suppose to influence by Jesus and no one else. That's what Paul was telling the Corinthians. In cor: 3. They divided up into denominations and got away from the Spirit that they started with. That the reason why the road is narrow that leads to everlasting life. People have been very deceived. It was handed down to us and that's what we excepted. But it's time to uncover the truth.
I think what is needed is for us to trust the Church Fathers, rather than continually try to reinvent the wheel all by ourselves.

Upvote 0

Childofgodharrison

Aug 27, 2018
Abilene
✟34,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think what is needed is for us to trust the Church Fathers, rather than continually try to reinvent the wheel all by ourselves.
What if they are deceived? We do have to stand on our own two feet alone with Christ. We must never put our trust in a man without studying for ourselves. 1 John 2:27 27As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit-just as it has taught you, remain in him.

No matter who it is that is teaching you, always study for yourself and ask God for understanding, because we all have our own opinions.

Upvote 0