Can we preach the Good News without the bad news?

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In Romans chapter 1 verse 18 through chapter 3 verse 20, Paul gives a very dire picture of the sinful and unrighteous human condition that we are under the wrath of God. This after first in chapter 1 verses 1-17 showing the hope that is the Gospel. So he starts out by proclaiming the power of the Gospel (the good news) before telling his audience the very bad news and our state as sinners who do not seek God and none who are righteous before a Holy God.

Then in Romans chapter 3 verses 21 through Romans chapter 4 verse 25 he brings us back to the Good News of being justified as a gift by God's grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus.

Paul’s epistle to the Romans shows “the bad news” of all have sinned and the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness.

So why do some Christians, even pastors and preachers avoid telling hearers of the Good News about the “bad news” which condemns us. Frankly if we don’t we are really not preaching the Gospel.

I invite everyone to read Romans chapters 1-5 to get a good picture of how Paul presents the Power of the Gospel to save, then the bad news of how we are all condemned before a Holy God and then takes us on a long discussion about how we are reconciled—Justification.

Romans 1 NASB

Romans 2 NASB

Romans 3 NASB

Romans 4 NASB

Romans 5 NASB

So why do some who claim they are preaching the Gospel omit the bad news of condemnation?

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In Romans chapter 1 verse 18 through chapter 3 verse 20, Paul gives a very dire picture of the sinful and unrighteous human condition that we are under the wrath of God. This after first in chapter 1 verses 1-17 showing the hope that is the Gospel. So he starts out by proclaiming the power of the Gospel (the good news) before telling his audience the very bad news and our state as sinners who do not seek God and none who are righteous before a Holy God.

Then in Romans chapter 3 verses 21 through Romans chapter 4 verse 25 he brings us back to the Good News of being justified as a gift by God's grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus.

Paul’s epistle to the Romans shows “the bad news” of all have sinned and the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness.

So why do some Christians, even pastors and preachers avoid telling hearers of the Good News about the “bad news” which condemns us. Frankly if we don’t we are really not preaching the Gospel.

I invite everyone to read Romans chapters 1-5 to get a good picture of how Paul presents the Power of the Gospel to save, then the bad news of how we are all condemned before a Holy God and then takes us on a long discussion about how we are reconciled—Justification.

Romans 1 NASB

Romans 2 NASB

Romans 3 NASB

Romans 4 NASB

Romans 5 NASB

So why do some who claim they are preaching the Gospel omit the bad news of condemnation?

News overload. Sometimes, I don't want the bad news upfront.

• Winner
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How would we know what the good news was if we never knew the bad news? Good news isn’t good news if it doesn’t have its bad counterpart.
I agree. We should be presenting the Gospel as Paul does in Romans.

Yet in the postmodern church speaking of all have sinned under the wrath of God gets little “press time.”

Upvote 0

Sal Robinson

Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2018
castle hill
✟100,160.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
we have to share the bad news too, but i think the bad news has to be delivered in such a way where it feels like a warning coming out of a place of deep love and concern instead of a fear tactic.

the most important thing is empathy. Looking at where a persons heart is at and asking the holy spirit to help us speak to their heart

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
we have to share the bad news too, but i think the bad news has to be delivered in such a way where it feels like a warning coming out of a place of deep love and concern instead of a fear tactic.

the most important thing is empathy. Looking at where a persons heart is at and asking the holy spirit to help us speak to their heart
Paul did begin with the Power of the Gospel to save. Yet he immediately after this spent Romans 1:18-3:20 making it painfully obvious we are condemned before a Holy God with no excuse.

Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Romans 1 NASB

Romans 2 NASB

Romans 3 NASB

Romans 4 NASB

Romans 5 NASB

I'm not sure the bad news applies to me. So who cares? Give me the good news then :)

It's like preaching to the choir. Bad news is for the wicked :( But does bad news help the wicked? Probably not. Maybe the bad news is so the good people feel better when offended by the wicked. Honest view maybe.

So I guess it depends on the audience. But preaching bad news to the wicked is often offensive and may start a fight even. Not always?

it's probably wise to preach the good news, they will hear about the bad news when someone quotes scripture and even read the bad news themselves from the bible. And maybe then they'll feel saved and it will be less offensive.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
So why do some Christians, even pastors and preachers avoid telling hearers of the Good News about the “bad news” which condemns us.

Christian conversation isn't the most positive of the bunch. Have you ever listened to the things many discuss? And that's without the inclusion of sermons or the gospel. It's usually addressing a problem, something negative, or a complaint. Many saturate their minds with topics along these lines.

You may wonder how this contributes to your question but it's directly related. That's how you end up with a prosperity gospel or feel good theology. It isn't merely a want to avoid the truth. You can't subsist on muck and many do.

Add in the news and current events and you have a cornucopia of negativity and depressing subjects And now you want to add Hell to the mix? It's too much. That's really the whole of it. You need balance and that's sorely lacking.

I like the book of Romans. But unfortunately for many believers, that verbiage is all they know. If it condemns, corrects, or expresses judgment we're all for it. I don't know about you, but I'm not that removed from my salvation to remember what it was like to hear that. And even now, I find it oppressive to my spirit.

I combat this by feeding my spirit good fruit on a daily basis and limiting access and impact from negative sources. I plant seeds of hope in others through encouraging messages I share elsewhere. I may not be in a pulpit but I'm not lacking common sense or wisdom.

If it overwhelms my spirit and I'm in Christ; how much more for those who aren't?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hishandmaiden

The Humble Servant
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2002
Singapore
✟35,969.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You may wonder how this contributes to your question but it's directly related. That's how you end up with a prosperity gospel or feel good theology. It isn't merely a want to avoid the truth. You can't subsist on muck and many do.

Prosperity gospel is not all bad. It is bad only when it neglects to mention suffering. After all, God does want us to prosper. If we prosper, we can give more to the church. It is only when our heart is all concerned about money that prosperity becomes bad.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Some of my close family members are LDS, and they never talk about anything negative. It is, frankly, almost taboo to even criticize anything anyone says. However, when I am talked about apparently I am all gloom and doom, because I make it my efforts to evangelize to everyone I know. My father responded to my grandmother, who had said this, that life isn't always peaches and cream, there are some things in life that are negative.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Prosperity gospel is not all bad. It is bad only when it neglects to mention suffering. After all, God does want us to prosper. If we prosper, we can give more to the church. It is only when our heart is all concerned about money that prosperity becomes bad.

That wasn't a comment against it. There's good and bad in all. And there are times when I've read Joel Osteen's books and came away with greater peace in my spirit. That isn't always possible with some Christian authors. The woe is more than I can stand.

• Agree
Reactions: devin553344
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
oops. misunderstood the topic.

I wish you didn't remove your post. You shared an important point that was central to the subject. I had planned to quote you.

I came to faith in a Jewish synagogue and found God and Christ in that place. I met a Christian woman who I befriended. We'd pray together on occasion. She had a heart for evangelism. I know she meant well but there was no filter in her words. And I candidly admitted that she could have never won me over with her approach.

It was all the things you said and more. But many have a "by any means necessary" mentality that I find disquieting. And their heavy handedness has not gone unnoticed. Not by those who don't know the gospel and others who've been raised in Christian homes. The unchurched is growing for many reasons.

You can't bully people into the Kingdom. It will never work.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
God's will for us is to be healthy, wealthy, and prosperous? False gospel.

I don't believe the generalization is correct. I think it creates unrealistic expectations and false hope that could be very damaging spiritually.

I have been healed from two incurable diseases. I can say that God desired me to be in good health to accomplish His purpose. I could not do what I'm called to do if I was sick.

I have been led from the workforce at an early age to the marketplace and given a business blueprint from the Holy Spirit. I can say that God brought me from that place and has given me a task that is financially lucrative (it is) and will benefit others in turn.

I have been given a burden for philanthropy and a commitment to the prosperity of others. I believe the worker is worthy of his wages. I'm willing to pay more to employ American workers in an industry that manufactures its goods overseas and sells them for greater profits to us. I will not exploit for gain. I believe that's the Holy Spirit working within me to inspire that mindset.

I've discovered through my relationship with the Lord that our blessings are rarely for us alone. There's always another party who'll benefit from our experiences and His gifts.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Wikipedia said:
Prosperity theology (sometimes referred to as the prosperity gospel, the health and wealth gospel, the gospel of success, or seed faith) is a religious belief among some Christians, who hold that financial blessing and physical well-being are always the will of God for them, and that faith, positive speech, and donations to religious causes will increase one's material wealth. Prosperity theology views the Bible as a contract between God and humans: if humans have faith in God, he will deliver security and prosperity.

^^I wonder why the apostle Paul suffered so much. I suppose he didn't have enough faith and money to donate!

I'm sorry, Red, off-topic.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟687,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I wish you didn't remove your post. You shared an important point that was central to the subject. I had planned to quote you.

I came to faith in a Jewish synagogue and found God and Christ in that place. I met a Christian woman who I befriended. We'd pray together on occasion. She had a heart for evangelism. I know she meant well but there was no filter in her words. And I candidly admitted that she could have never won me over with her approach.

It was all the things you said and more. But many have a "by any means necessary" mentality that I find disquieting. And their heavy handedness has not gone unnoticed. Not by those who don't know the gospel and others who've been raised in Christian homes. The unchurched is growing for many reasons.

You can't bully people into the Kingdom. It will never work.

When people started talking about the prosperity gospel I decided perhaps I needed coffee. lol.. I've yet to drink a cup this morning.

but yes, I can type out the concept of what I was saying again .

I think the issue is two-fold and both often become conflated. Just like throwing the baby out with the bathwater both aspects of this issue often get thrown out when only one is perhaps an incorrect approach.

Mankind is wicked and so steeped in sin that we can't even recognise the depth of our depravity. If this isn't pointed out accurately and adequately people will be left wondering what they even need a Savior for and you will loose them.

At the same time, berating people for personal sins seems to be more harmful than anything and has left many deeply hurt and feeling as if they can't be saved, personally.

I think the later needs left up to God as a result, or not broached until someone has come to the saving knowledge of Christ. If you tell someone that something, they have tried to quit a dozen times is a sin and leave them feeling as if it's something their salvation hinges on and they must stop doing, you will leave them feeling hopeless and unable to be saved and potentially drive them away.

Not only that but this might bring up insecurities in them and leave them feeling undesirable or unwelcome among God and His people.

Some things are best left to God's conviction or at the very least til after they are saved and can recognise that it is through Christ we overcome our individual sins and challenges as a Christian.

I believe these are two issues at play within this topic and one is appropriate and the other is often broached poorly and often well prior to when it's appropriate.

hopefully I said it as well as I may have the first time.. lol. But I agree, bullying people into the Kingdom doesnt work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Romans 1 NASB

Romans 2 NASB

Romans 3 NASB

Romans 4 NASB

Romans 5 NASB

Actually Paul starts off with the goodnews (Romans 1:1-7), it starts going down hill after that. Usually Paul strikes hard doctrinally with dead to sin, alive to God. Actually when you think about it, even the bad news about you being a hopeless sinners means you can stop trying to be good enough. Mind you he is speaking to devout Jews who had converted at Pentecost decades earlier.

Last edited:
Upvote 0