Can we forecast supernova within 100 years?

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟932,372.00
Faith
Atheist
Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Wondering if we have supernova prediction in place accurate to within 100 years?

100 years is enough time to prepare if the effect could threaten billions of lives.
I thing the earth being struck by an asteroid is far more likely.

• Haha
Reactions: timewerx
Upvote 0

Torah Keeper

Jun 2, 2013
Tennessee
✟37,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Yeah even if the nearest star explodes, it will be a bright light in the sky at most. Nothing to worry about.

Now if the Sun explodes, Earth would likely vaporize, but I do not believe the sun will ever explode. It's suspiciously stable.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Our nearest neighbor [system], Alpha Centauri, is 4.x ly away.
That means everything we observe about it happened 4+ years ago.
(Observed info about more distant stars is even older.)

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,820.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Yeah even if the nearest star explodes, it will be a bright light in the sky at most. Nothing to worry about.

Now if the Sun explodes, Earth would likely vaporize, but I do not believe the sun will ever explode. It's suspiciously stable.

The thing that worries scientists is the type of supernova that creates laser-like beam of gamma rays and that beam hitting Earth. It can kill billions.

Did Gamma Rays Cause Ordovician Mass Extinction?

• Agree
Reactions: klutedavid
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The thing that worries scientists is the type of supernova that creates laser-like beam of gamma rays and that beam hitting Earth. It can kill billions.

Did Gamma Rays Cause Ordovician Mass Extinction?
article said:
A gamma ray burst within about ten thousand light years of Earth would pose a threat to life, Thomas and colleagues estimate.
(I am guessing that said gamma ray burst would move at the speed of light, too...)
If that model is correct, it means that any imminent blast would have occurred 10K years ago.
That limits our ability to predict such.
When we see/detect it, it will already be too late.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,820.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
(I am guessing that said gamma ray burst would move at the speed of light, too...)
If that model is correct, it means that any imminent blast would have occurred 10K years ago.
That limits our ability to predict such.
When we see/detect it, it will already be too late.

True! But although we can't rely on real-time information because of huge lag (information can only travel at the speed of light), we can still see the precursors before this beam of extinction hits.

We would still see things like the starlight reaching our telescopes fluctuating in brightness.

I guess the BIG question is, do we actually have knowledge or experience of these precursors or signs before a star explodes into a supernova? Or is it all just theory, like it can just happen and it will catch completely surprised?

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Why "suspiciously"?

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Wondering if we have supernova prediction in place accurate to within 100 years?

100 years is enough time to prepare if the effect could threaten billions of lives.
There are so many possible causes for a mass extinction event. I have underlined your gamma ray burst event. The actual list is longer than the list below.

Mass Extinction Events

Flood basalt events
Sea-level falls
Impact events
Global cooling
Global warming
Clathrate gun hypothesis
Anoxic events
Hydrogen sulfide emissions from the seas
Oceanic overturn
A nearby nova, supernova or gamma ray burst
Geomagnetic reversal
Plate tectonics
Other hypotheses
(wiki)

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
True! But although we can't rely on real-time information because of huge lag (information can only travel at the speed of light), we can still see the precursors before this beam of extinction hits.

We would still see things like the starlight reaching our telescopes fluctuating in brightness.

I guess the BIG question is, do we actually have knowledge or experience of these precursors or signs before a star explodes into a supernova? Or is it all just theory, like it can just happen and it will catch completely surprised?
I have seen many theories regarding extinction events and their causes. If you look a bit deeper, sometimes, certain scientists are pursuing funding for their research. That said, the probability of some of these extinction events actually occurring are very remote.

A gamma ray burst from a supernova causing a mass extinction event, would have a very low probability of occurring.

Four events that could be considered as likely mass extinction events. Would be nuclear war, climate change, a super volcanic eruption, and an asteroid impact. Any of these four events
have a much higher probability of taking place.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,742.00
Faith
Atheist
I have seen many theories regarding extinction events and their causes. If you look a bit deeper, sometimes, certain scientists are pursuing funding for their research. That said, the probability of some of these extinction events actually occurring are very remote.

A gamma ray burst from a supernova causing a mass extinction event, would have a very low probability of occurring.

Four events that could be considered as likely mass extinction events. Would be nuclear war, climate change, a super volcanic eruption, and an asteroid impact. Any of these four events
have a much higher probability of taking place.
Thanks, that's reassuring ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟277,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One of my hobbies is to take pictures of things that might ultimately destroy us.
Eta Carinae.

EtaC.jpg
Fact or Fiction?: The Explosive Death of Eta Carinae Will Cause a Mass Extinction

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,226.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
There are so many possible causes for a mass extinction event. I have underlined your gamma ray burst event. The actual list is longer than the list below.

Mass Extinction Events

Flood basalt events
Sea-level falls
Impact events
Global cooling
Global warming
Clathrate gun hypothesis
Anoxic events
Hydrogen sulfide emissions from the seas
Oceanic overturn
A nearby nova, supernova or gamma ray burst
Geomagnetic reversal
Plate tectonics
Other hypotheses
(wiki)
I think Geomagnetic reversals don't line up with any significant mass extinctions.

• Agree
Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0