Can we eat pork, shellfish and crustaceans? And what about blood in meat?

123flower

Apr 22, 2012
✟25,520.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

I've been reading about the food laws. Some christians believes you may eat all meat and some believes you may only eat clean meat.

I don't know what is right. The christians I know eat all meat. Some arguments are that we are not under the law anymore and Peter's vision (but Peters visions was about the gentiles to my opinion).

But in the Old Testament God warns us about eating unclean meat, especially the shellfish and crustaceans where he repeats multiple times that it is an abomination. Now science also says pork, shellfish and crustaceans are full of toxins and bad for your health. So thats makes it more sense to keep the commandment and not eat pork, shellfish and crustaceans anymore.

And what about blood in meat? God has warned us about that a couple times in the Old Testament and also in the New Testament.

So what's right? I don't know it anymore.
I am actually more convinced to obey the food laws. But circumstances makes it difficult to obey the food laws. It's not a problem for me to not eat pork, shellfish and crustaceans anymore. The problem is that there are not really shops in my country that sells kosher meat to buy chicken and beef. There is actually only one kosher butcher in my country and the prices are expensive too. My husband would never agree with that. We are not rich. So that's not an option.

Does God mind that I still eat chicken and beef with blood in it, because I have no other choice?

Reactions: BobRyan

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
So what's right? I don't know it anymore. I am actually more convinced to obey the food laws. But circumstances makes it difficult to obey the food laws. It's not a problem for me to not eat pork, shellfish and crustaceans anymore. The problem is that there are not really shops in my country that sells kosher meat to buy chicken and beef. There is actually only one kosher butcher in my country and the prices are expensive too. My husband would never agree with that. We are not rich. So that's not an option.

Does God mind that I still eat chicken and beef with blood in it, because I have no other choice?
There are ways to draw the blood out before cooking, so as to have a clear and peacable conscience in these things.

edit in: just noted reference to ocd in previous posts. Make a written direction, to help repeat what to do, to have a clear conscience and peace. Learn step by step as you have been doing, and write down directions for food, how to get the blood out for instance, and do that each time for chicken and beef, simply repeating what you learned, each time meat is prepared, what to do without anxiety.

Upvote 0

Goodhuman

Jan 7, 2020
dfgdfsgdf
✟58,992.00
Country
Cambodia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is no unclean meat, since christianity. But we must not eat blood because in the blood is the soul of the animal. Yes, God do mind.

Acts 15:29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Now science also says pork, shellfish and crustaceans are full of toxins and bad for your health. So thats makes it more sense to keep the commandment and not eat pork, shellfish and crustaceans anymore.
Yes, true, and the food supply continues to get worse worldwide also - 'clean' fish, from the ocean, have been tested and shown to affect a person's health because of the toxins (like mercury) in the fish...
limiting the toxins
and taking things routinely(daily?) that help clean out the toxicity from the body and from the brain helps many people according to testing and their testimony/ experience.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟321,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I've been reading about the food laws. Some christians believes you may eat all meat and some believes you may only eat clean meat.

I don't know what is right. The christians I know eat all meat. Some arguments are that we are not under the law anymore and Peter's vision (but Peters visions was about the gentiles to my opinion).

But in the Old Testament God warns us about eating unclean meat, especially the shellfish and crustaceans where he repeats multiple times that it is an abomination. Now science also says pork, shellfish and crustaceans are full of toxins and bad for your health. So thats makes it more sense to keep the commandment and not eat pork, shellfish and crustaceans anymore.

And what about blood in meat? God has warned us about that a couple times in the Old Testament and also in the New Testament.

I am actually more convinced to obey the food laws. But circumstances makes it difficult to obey the food laws. It's not a problem for me to not eat pork, shellfish and crustaceans anymore. The problem is that there are not really shops in my country that sells kosher meat to buy chicken and beef. There is actually only one kosher butcher in my country and the prices are expensive too. My husband would never agree with that. We are not rich. So that's not an option.

In the United States animals that are slaughtered usually have the blood drained for health reasons so it's normally not an issue.

The rest of the dietary laws are what Paul labeled "works of the law" and do not apply to Christians:

Col 2:20 - Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,

Col 2:21 - (Touch not; taste not; handle not;

Col 2:22 - Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men?

Paul is consistent in all of his letters to the early Christians who had reverted back to keeping the Jewish law:

Gal 2:16 - Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
In the United States animals that are slaughtered usually have the blood drained for health reasons so it's normally not an issue.
Daily in the grocery in the mid-usa I see quite too much blood in the chicken and the beef.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
The rest of the dietary laws are what Paul labeled "works of the law" and do not apply to Christians:
That appears to be opinion based more on traditional representation of things not true.
Christians each have a choice, whether to obey God or not themselves....

No need to call the dietary laws "works of the law" in any sense of or as if someone could be saved by them - (although people have been healed ('saved'? same word in Hebrew) by observing them, even of "terminal cancer" as written in the book "God's Key to Health and Happiness by Pastor (Baptist I think) Josephson who himself was diagnosed by several licensed ama doctors with terminal cancer and told to "go home and get your papers in order, you have maybe six months tops, and there's nothing we can do for you" ... ) God had other plans for him, and he started obeying God's Word (even as a pastor , he had not done so fully before this) ... and within a year the cancer was gone, and he lived about or over 50 or 60 more years healthy and happy with his wife in Kansas. the book is still available, btw, on ebay or amazon, I think... )

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟321,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Daily in the grocery in the mid-usa I see quite too much blood in the chicken and the beef.

There is always going to be some amount of blood in any kind of meat. There are some Jews who soak all meat in water to remove any traces of blood at all but then some don't.

There has to be some middle ground between outright drinking the blood of an animal and refusing to eat meat at all.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
There is always going to be some amount of blood in any kind of meat. There are some Jews who soak all meat in water to remove any traces of blood at all but then some don't.

There has to be some middle ground between outright drinking the blood of an animal and refusing to eat meat at all.
THere does not have to be middle ground, though for better or for worse there often appears to be....
Remember the Apostle Paul , what he wrote concerning eating any meat at all ? (or if you wish specifically "food that had been sacrificed to idols) ...( He never would touch pork - it was not considered food for the Jews/Israelites at all)

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I believe that God has declared that all foods are now clean. The separation between the clean and the unclean was to teach a spiritual lesson. Something about the marked separation between good and evil, or something like that.

Likewise , there is a spiritual meaning to the nature of blood. The scriptures say the "life" is in the blood, and therefore, it is not to be consumed. It speaks to the value to be placed upon life.

• Agree
Reactions: Al Touthentop
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I believe that God has declared that all foods are now clean. The separation between the clean and the unclean was to teach a spiritual lesson. Something about the marked separation between good and evil, or something like that.

Likewise , there is a spiritual meaning to the nature of blood. The scriptures say the "life" is in the blood, and therefore, it is not to be consumed. It speaks to the value to be placed upon life.
Did you ever see a way, or hear of a way, to test foods ? To test to see if the food has a good or a bad effect in the body... to see if the body is made healthy and helped by it, or if the body/immune system/ fights it like it fights an infection ?

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Did you ever see a way, or hear of a way, to test foods ? To test to see if the food has a good or a bad effect in the body... to see if the body is made healthy and helped by it, or if the body/immune system/ fights it like it fights an infection ?
I believe that scientists have performed, and are performing such testing even to his day ...

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I believe that scientists have performed, and are performing such testing even to his day ...
Really? You think they would tell the truth with billions or trillions of corporate profit at stake ? (to be lost if people find out)

The common people , and rare scientist / doctor/ tester/ who knows and helps people, is not allowed to advertise at risk of losing his life / practice/ freedom .... censorship is very very strong in most every place in the world... with limited 'freedom' for those called quacks to discredit them ....

Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian

The food laws are part of an old dead covenant that was ended when Jesus died. You can't go back and just keep some of that law and think that it does you any good.

Galatians 5
"2 Indeed I, Paul, say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing. 3 And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law

You can't just pick and chose, if you pick one, you pick them all including animal sacrifice to atone for sins.

That law was nailed to the cross. We're not under that law anymore. We're under obligation to keep the law of Christ (see James). And in some cases, the restrictions are even stricter. For instance, under the old law, murder was the taking of a life. Under Christ's law, murder is hating your brother.

But the dietary laws and circumcision and the rest of it are done away with and the old law has been replaced. You can't go back and be justified by that law anymore.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟900,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Mark 7:6-13 the "popular view" was not on the side of Christ... so he insists on a "sola scriptura" solution over traditions of man.

6 And He said to them, “Rightly did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written:
‘This people honors Me with their lips,
But their heart is far away from Me.
7 ‘But in vain do they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the precepts of men.’
8 Neglecting the commandment of God, you hold to the tradition of men.”
9 He was also saying to them, “You are experts at setting aside the commandment of God in order to keep your tradition. 10 For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘He who speaks evil of father or mother, is to be put to death’; 11 but you say, ‘If a man says to his father or his mother, whatever I have that would help you is Corban (that is to say, given to God),’ 12 you no longer permit him to do anything for his father or his mother; 13 thus invalidating the word of God by your tradition which you have handed down; and you do many things such as that.”

Choose the Bible. IT is the Word of God.

As one who grew up eating beef and chicken and who is now eating a plant based diet - the new meat substitutes make it very easy to make the switch.

===============

hint: if anyone comes to you saying "don't listen to Christ" or "Christ's Words are not valid any more" or "Christians don't follow the Words of Christ" -- beware.

Upvote 0

Wayne Gabler

Jan 26, 2020
Calgary
✟22,527.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
These verse would apply to your question I believe.
Col:2:16:
Let no man therefore judge you in meat,
or in drink,
or in respect of an holyday,
or of the new moon,
or of the sabbath days:
Ac:10:9-16:
On the morrow,
as they went on their journey,
and drew nigh unto the city,
Peter went up upon the housetop to pray about the sixth hour:
And he became very hungry,
and would have eaten:
but while they made ready,
he fell into a trance,
And saw heaven opened,
and a certain vessel descending unto him,
as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners,
and let down to the earth:
Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth,
and wild beasts,
and creeping things,
and fowls of the air.
And there came a voice to him,
Rise,
Peter;
kill,
and eat.
But Peter said,
Not so,
Lord;
for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.
And the voice spake unto him again the second time,
What God hath cleansed,
that call not thou common.
This was done thrice:
and the vessel was received up again into heaven.
Ac:15:20:
But that we write unto them,
that they abstain from pollutions of idols,
and from fornication,
and from things strangled,
and from blood.

Upvote 0

Wayne Gabler

Jan 26, 2020
Calgary
✟22,527.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
This is a frquent thought or reply, but no, does not apply to her question.
The reference in Colossians was concerning other things not related.
Could you enlighten me about what I bolded?
The last supper was unleaven bread and wine the day before the traditional Passover meal. The cross was the last blood sacrifice was it not?

Upvote 0