Virginia, USA
✟1,646.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What then do you believe Christians are commanded to live by?

..the New Covenant

Everything you need to know about living as a Christian is in the NT. The only set of laws you really have to go back to the OT on is the Ten Commandments which are forever set in stone.

Upvote 0

SilenceInMotion

Sep 5, 2012
Virginia, USA
✟1,646.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Forever set in stone..... Not if God has anything to say about that... He can do miracles like place it in the heart.

Jesus says himself to follow the Commandments. They are the foundation for all biblical morals.

Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

ptomwebster

Jul 10, 2011
MN
Visit site
✟1,922.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Paul comes right out and states that the Old Law is the yoke of slavery which Jesus freed us from.
Therefore, unless one is against Pauline teaching, the Old Law is replaced by the grace of Christ.

Very true, although Grace did not give pigs sweat glands. But you go ahead and enjoy, I don't care what you put in your belly.

I am not talking about law, I am talking about health foods and unhealth foods. Scavengers were not created to be man's food. Pigs are scavengers, they will eat trash and deposit any toxins in their fat. When you eat pork you consume the toxins.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
S

Silvanus1

Some people think the law of unclean meats was part of the "old covenant" and thus is obsolete and "ready to vanish away" (Hebrews 8:13)

But when I read Acts 10:9-16 I was VERY confused...

In Peter's vision, a bunch of "unclean" animals were given to Peter and God told him to eat them; but Peter was like "no way! I've never eaten anything unclean before!". God then specially cleansed them so Peter could eat...

This doesn't make any sense. If the unclean meats laws were abolished then why would God still consider some animals "unclean?"

Furthermore, Peter lived with Jesus for 3 years... I think if Jesus ever said anything about the unclean meats laws being abolished, then surely Peter of all people would have known this.

Anyone think it's OK to eat pork and shellfish now? Or is Red Lobster of the devil? :p

Yes, the New Testament makes it clear that you can eat whatever you want and there are many verses regarding this. This specific passage in Acts is different however. The "unclean" animals that were in the vision represent people, specifically the unclean, Gentile believers that Peter was about to preach the gospel to. To eat in this case means to associate with. Peter was a good Jew and kept the Jewish ordinances very strictly. Part of that is that he would not associate with Gentiles. However, God was not intending to save the Jews only but also the Gentiles. Thus, Peter, as a Jew, had to break through his Jewish culture to go to the Gentiles. Once Peter gets to the house of Cornelius Peter finally understands the vision and says in Acts 10:34-35 that God is not a respecter of persons (i.e. Gentiles vs Jews). The vision of the "unclean" animals was to help Peter to go the the Gentiles to speak the Word to them.

Further, you'll notice that once Peter returns in Acts 11, the other Jewish believers in Jerusalem get mad at Peter for going to the Gentiles. Then Peter recounts the story to them and after a long discussion, the Jews accept the Gentiles' salvation, though it seemed hard for them to do so.

So don't let this confuse you and enjoy eating whatever you want.

Upvote 0

SAAN

Apr 26, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟80,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, the New Testament makes it clear that you can eat whatever you want and there are many verses regarding this. This specific passage in Acts is different however. The "unclean" animals that were in the vision represent people, specifically the unclean, Gentile believers that Peter was about to preach the gospel to. To eat in this case means to associate with. Peter was a good Jew and kept the Jewish ordinances very strictly. Part of that is that he would not associate with Gentiles. However, God was not intending to save the Jews only but also the Gentiles. Thus, Peter, as a Jew, had to break through his Jewish culture to go to the Gentiles. Once Peter gets to the house of Cornelius Peter finally understands the vision and says in Acts 10:34-35 that God is not a respecter of persons (i.e. Gentiles vs Jews). The vision of the "unclean" animals was to help Peter to go the the Gentiles to speak the Word to them.

Further, you'll notice that once Peter returns in Acts 11, the other Jewish believers in Jerusalem get mad at Peter for going to the Gentiles. Then Peter recounts the story to them and after a long discussion, the Jews accept the Gentiles' salvation, though it seemed hard for them to do so.

So don't let this confuse you and enjoy eating whatever you want.

Can you please show me(in its proper and correct context) where the NT says you can eat whatever you please.

-Acts 10 is referring to not referring to gentiles as unclean.

-Matthew 15 & Mark 7 is about ceremonial hand washing not making you unclean.

-Romans 14, there is no debate in there about dietary laws either

-Col 2:16 has nothing to do with dietary issues, but is actually telling to not let anyone judge them for keeping Gods commands.

-1 Tim 4, is referring to food sacrificed to idols, and God never intended for unclean foods to be considered food at all as they would have make you severely sick back then.

Where does Jesus say to ignore the commands of God and you can eat whatever you want?

Where does prayer makes something unclean like a snake, rat, etc.. all of a sudden clean?

Where does it show the Jews giving thanks for unclean food?

Upvote 0
S

Silvanus1

Can you please show me(in its proper and correct context) where the NT says you can eat whatever you please.

-Acts 10 is referring to not referring to gentiles as unclean.

-Matthew 15 & Mark 7 is about ceremonial hand washing not making you unclean.

-Romans 14, there is no debate in there about dietary laws either

-Col 2:16 has nothing to do with dietary issues, but is actually telling to not let anyone judge them for keeping Gods commands.

-1 Tim 4, is referring to food sacrificed to idols, and God never intended for unclean foods to be considered food at all as they would have make you severely sick back then.

Where does Jesus say to ignore the commands of God and you can eat whatever you want?

Where does prayer makes something unclean like a snake, rat, etc.. all of a sudden clean?

Where does it show the Jews giving thanks for unclean food?

Whenever a student asks me a question I generally don't give them everything, just enough to get them started (of course if they still need help I don't shun them). So in that spirit I'll give you one passage from Mark 7 and the rest you can figure out:

What Defiles a Person

14 And he called the people to him again and said to them, “Hear me, all of you, and understand: 15 There is nothing outside a person that by going into him can defile him, but the things that come out of a person are what defile him.”5 17 And when he had entered gthe house and left the people, hhis disciples asked him about the parable. 18 And he said to them, “Then are you also without understanding? Do you not see that whatever goes into a person from outside cannot defile him, 19 since it enters not his heart but his stomach, and is expelled?”6 (Thus he declared all foods clean.) 20 And he said, “What comes out of a person is what defiles him. 21 For from within, out of the heart of man, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, 22 coveting, wickedness, deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride, foolishness. 23 All these evil things come from within, and they defile a person.”

I copied this from ESV on-line so excuse any random letters that don't seem to belong there.

Upvote 0

daporkchop

Still a Newbie
Jun 18, 2013
✟7,699.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I want to read all this, I really do, but it's so long. Here is why I believe we can eat pork. If you are Christian, then you believe Paul's teachings.

Romans 14:14 I know and am persuaded in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself, but it is unclean for anyone who thinks it unclean. 15 For if your brother is grieved by what you eat, you are no longer walking in love. By what you eat, do not destroy the one for whom Christ died. 16 So do not let what you regard as good be spoken of as evil.

I am sure this has been adressed, I will go back and read as much as I can and edit it if need be.

Edit: It has been addressed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SAAN

Apr 26, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟80,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I want to read all this, I really do, but it's so long. Here is why I believe we can eat pork. If you are Christian, then you believe Paul's teachings.

Romans 14:14 I know and am persuaded in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself, but it is unclean for anyone who thinks it unclean. 15 For if your brother is grieved by what you eat, you are no longer walking in love. By what you eat, do not destroy the one for whom Christ died. 16 So do not let what you regard as good be spoken of as evil.

I am sure this has been addressed, I will go back and read as much as I can and edit it if need be.

Edit: It has been addressed.

The entire issue in Romans 14 was over feast days and fasting. If there was any debate about meat, it was over meat sacrificed to idols.

Upvote 0

SAAN

Apr 26, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟80,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So because I had bacon, I'm going to go to hell? r u guys for realz?

No where does the bible say you will go to hell for eating pork. And to be honest there really isn't a difference now a days between eating pork, something that God said not to eat because its toxic by nature vs eating a chemically laced and steroid filled chicken.

One is naturally toxic and the other is bio-toxic

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ptomwebster

Jul 10, 2011
MN
Visit site
✟1,922.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No where does the bible say you will go to hell for eating pork. And to be honest there really isn't a difference now a days between eating pork, something that God said not to eat because its toxic by nature vs eating a chemically laced and steroid filled chicken.

One is naturally toxic and the other is bio-toxic

And both will shorten your life. The whole world is polluted.

Upvote 0