Jun 13, 2002
Columbus, TX
Visit site
✟19,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a general question and it is open to all people. There is another question in this forum that is a restricted question.

Is it sinful drink alcohol? I will warn you now that I am going to be supporting the notion that it is sinful. I am trying to learn more about the subject and I do better if I pick a side and argue for it. Thank you for all of your help.

Forest

Senior Veteran
Jan 3, 2005
In the Forest
✟19,245.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
1 Timothy 3:8
Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre;

That scripture appears to say that it is ok for deacons as long as it is not too much. Isn't excess the problem...

1 Corinthians 6:10
Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

Ephesians 5:18
And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,339.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
aggie03 said:
This is a general question and it is open to all people. There is another question in this forum that is a restricted question.

Is it sinful drink alcohol? I will warn you now that I am going to be supporting the notion that it is sinful. I am trying to learn more about the subject and I do better if I pick a side and argue for it. Thank you for all of your help.

Genesis 14:18 NIV
Then Melchizedek king of Salem [ That is, Jerusalem ] brought out bread and wine.

Matthew 26:29 NIV
I tell you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it anew with you in my Father's kingdom."

1 Timothy 5:23 NIV
Stop drinking only water, and drink a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses.

John 2

7Jesus said to the servants, "Fill the jars with water"; so they filled them to the brim.

8Then he told them, "Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet."

They did so, 9and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside 10and said, "Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now." 11This, the first of his miraculous signs, Jesus performed in Cana of Galilee. He thus revealed his glory, and his disciples put their faith in him.

Numbers 15:5 NIV
With each lamb for the burnt offering or the sacrifice, prepare a quarter of a hin of wine as a drink offering.

Numbers 18:12 NIV
"I give you all the finest olive oil and all the finest new wine and grain they give the LORD as the firstfruits of their harvest.

Deuteronomy 14:23 NIV
Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the LORD your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the LORD your God always.

Deuteronomy 33:28 NIV
So Israel will live in safety alone; Jacob's spring is secure in a land of grain and new wine, where the heavens drop dew.
1 Samuel 16:20 NIV
So Jesse took a donkey loaded with bread, a skin of wine and a young goat and sent them with his son David to Saul.

2 Samuel 16:2 NIV
The king asked Ziba, "Why have you brought these?" Ziba answered, "The donkeys are for the king's household to ride on, the bread and fruit are for the men to eat, and the wine is to refresh those exhausted in the desert.

Ezra 6:9 NIV
indent.gif
Read this Chapter
Whatever is needed—young bulls, rams, male lambs for burnt offerings to the God of heaven, and wheat, salt, wine and oil, as requested by the priests in Jerusalem—must be given them daily without fail,

Nehemiah 13:12 NIV
indent.gif
Read this Chapter
All Judah brought the tithes of grain, new wine and oil into the storerooms.

Song of Solomon 1:2 NIV
Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth— for your love is more delightful than wine.
Song of Solomon 8:2 NIV
I would lead you and bring you to my mother's house— she who has taught me. I would give you spiced wine to drink, the nectar of my pomegranates.
Jeremiah 31:12 NIV
indent.gif
Read this Chapter
They will come and shout for joy on the heights of Zion; they will rejoice in the bounty of the LORD— the grain, the new wine and the oil, the young of the flocks and herds. They will be like a well-watered garden, and they will sorrow no more.

Ezekiel 44:21 NIV
indent.gif
Read this Chapter
No priest is to drink wine when he enters the inner court.

Upvote 0

SNPete

Psalm 53:1
Jul 20, 2005
Sierra Nevada Mountains
✟1,319.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
aggie03 said:

We already have a good number of scripture cites to which I will add:

PS 104:15 where it says God made wine that makes glad the heart of man. In John chapter 2 we see Jesus providing gallons of high quality wine for a wedding. It is clear that Jesus and the disciples drank wine. What I see over and over is that drinking alcohol is not a sin. Getting drunk is a sin.

One principle is that there are some people, who should not drink for various reasons. I believe that each person should examine themselves before God and ask if is OK to drink. However, we should not use our freedom in Christ to cause others to stumble.

Upvote 0

aggie03

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Jun 13, 2002
Columbus, TX
Visit site
✟19,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One principle is that there are some people, who should not drink for various reasons. I believe that each person should examine their heart before God and ask if is OK to drink. However, we should not use our freedom in Christ to cause others to stumble.

I will address some of the Scriptures that have been mentioned in subsequent posts - but I read through this and had to address it immediately. I would firstly like to say thank you to everyone for posting in this thread :) I look forward to a rewarding study of God's word with all of you.

I disagree with this attitude though, that we can look in our hearts and find the right answer. That's just not what the Scriptures teach. In fact, they say the exact opposite:

Proverbs 14:12 ASV

There is a way which seemeth right unto a man; But the end thereof are the ways of death.

This is so important that this particular proverb occurs again two chapters later word for word. I cannot look into my heart for the answer, but I must look into the word of God. It is the word of God that is the lamp unto my feet and the light unto my path (Paslm 119:105). It is the word of God that shows us the path that we ought to take and is capable of making our pathways straight - not our hearts.

It may be that you meant something different than how I have understood you, but I cannot agree that we are able to look inside out hearts and find out what God wants. The Bible would have been much, much shorter if that were the case ;)

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2004
Kansas City area
✟23,771.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
aggie03 said:

I will address some of the Scriptures that have been mentioned in subsequent posts - but I read through this and had to address it immediately. I would firstly like to say thank you to everyone for posting in this thread :) I look forward to a rewarding study of God's word with all of you.

I disagree with this attitude though, that we can look in our hearts and find the right answer. That's just not what the Scriptures teach. In fact, they say the exact opposite:

There is a way which seemeth right unto a man; But the end thereof are the ways of death.

This is so important that this particular proverb occurs again two chapters later word for word. I cannot look into my heart for the answer, but I must look into the word of God. It is the word of God that is the lamp unto my feet and the light unto my path (Paslm 119:105). It is the word of God that shows us the path that we ought to take and is capable of making our pathways straight - not our hearts.

It may be that you meant something different than how I have understood you, but I cannot agree that we are able to look inside out hearts and find out what God wants. The Bible would have been much, much shorter if that were the case ;)

I agree, and disagree. The conscience is given for our benefit. Emotions, on the other hand, are not to be trusted. There is a difference, though one may intrude on the other. The word of God tells us that intoxication is the sin.

Upvote 0

xristos.anesti

Veteran
Jul 2, 2005
✟10,525.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Forest said:
1 Timothy 5:23, posted by lismore seems the most clear to me.

And, may I suggest Red one!!

^_^

I don't drink. Some days though, I have couple of beers (good football game or criket)... or when with mates... but as everything else... if you can not say no to it... you have a problem.

Everything in moderation...

If it becomes your god... could be coca cola or anything else... it will kill you... one day.

Upvote 0

SNPete

Psalm 53:1
Jul 20, 2005
Sierra Nevada Mountains
✟1,319.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
aggie03 said:

You are right. I realize the use of the word heart was a poor choice. I probably should have said that we should examine ourselves before God or something to that effect.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

aggie03

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Jun 13, 2002
Columbus, TX
Visit site
✟19,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Theophorus said:
I agree, and disagree. The conscience is given for our benefit. Emotions, on the other hand, are not to be trusted. There is a difference, though one may intrude on the other. The word of God tells us that intoxication is the sin.

Well, I'm not sure that either one should be trusted completely. Paul made it pretty clear that he had a clear conscience before God but that he did not expect to be justified because of that. We should always look to the word of God and see what God has said, regardless of our conscience, because it might be wrong.

Emotions also aren't always a bad thing, but I imagine that you are guarding against those who use their emotions as a guide to their religious decisions?

I've been doing a great deal of reading and will start posting on some of the verses shortly. Thank you again, everyone, for you posts. :)

Reactions: AutumnAnne
Upvote 0

Silent Enigma

Senior Veteran
Jan 2, 2004
The upper midwest, out in the woods.
Visit site
✟10,265.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
here's one

Deut 14:24-26

24 And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the LORD thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the LORD thy God hath blessed thee:

25 Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose:

26 And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,
KJV

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Theophorus said:
... The word of God tells us that intoxication is the sin.

That would be REPEPEATED intoxication. Jesus presented his wine AFTER the wedding guests were already intoxicated.

"Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now."

Proverbs 31:4-7 says,

"It is not for kings, O Lemuel-- not for kings to
drink wine, not for rulers to crave beer, lest they drink and forget what the law decrees, and deprive all the oppressed of their rights.
Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them
drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more," suggesting that SOME intoxication is okay.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Forest said:
If that's the case, how many times is it ok to be intoxicated?

I'm sure I don't know. For me, being drunk, of itself, seems like a real waste of time, but a little alcohol is about the only thing that works for me as a night-time cough suppressant when I have a cold. I don't mind the buzz, if it's doing something practical. Codeine has a similar effect. Not enough to poison myself, but enough to relax my cough. Also, it's an edible antiseptic.

I'm not trying to make a case for drunkenness or alcoholism, but those two scriptures appear to refute a blanket statement about intoxication.

Upvote 0