Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That was a metaphor based on OT divorce. Divorce is not an option in the NT.
So you not believe in child support then. People should not be held accountable for the children they bring into the world.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That was a metaphor based on OT divorce. Divorce is not an option in the NT.
A lot of Christians would never consider getting married to a divorced person. For good reason. If you marry a divorced person you are taking on a lot of problems that you do not have with someone that has never been married. If you marry someone that is not a virgin you are taking on a lot of problems you will not have if you marry a virgin.

Reactions: Dizzychad
Upvote 0

nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
But he does, and he would rather divorce pagan style than to forgive Christ style.

Are you speaking of me?

Don't forget, I have forgiven my ex-wife for divorcing me. If you knew me, you would know that I am one of the most forgiving people there is and I get walked all over for it too, but I forgive and forgive and forgive.

So, if you are speaking of me, the bearing false witness against me needs to stop and you need to repent. Just know, I have already forgiven you!

Upvote 0

nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
A lot of Christians would never consider getting married to a divorced person. For good reason. If you marry a divorced person you are taking on a lot of problems that you do not have with someone that has never been married. If you marry someone that is not a virgin you are taking on a lot of problems you will not have if you marry a virgin.

If you don't know what happened to me. I was divorced against my will and only took part in it to be sure that I was raked over the coals and I was able to see my children. She divorced me because I couldn't make her happy. I have been told many times over that she acted as an unbeliever and I am free to remarry as she abandoned me.

My girlfriend that I am with, she was cheated on time and time again by her now ex-husband and he even told her that he will not stop doing so. So, she went ahead and divorced him. She obviously had grounds to do so.

Her and I prayed that we would meet the person that we should be with, and three days later we met online. I can honestly say that I have never had a relationship like this one before.

Reactions: ChicanaRose
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was divorced against my will
I had a wife that left me. I talked to many people that said it must have been my fault that she left. So I would ask them what did my 2 1/2 year old son do that she abandoned him also. Because he committed the crime of climbing out of his play pen and she could not handle him. I never ran across anyone that felt she was justified in abandoning her son like that.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
God does not acknowledge divorce laws in the New Covenant any more than he does abortion or SSM. People are married for life whether divorced or not. And all remarriage is adultery.

Shear unbiblical arrogance.
My first wife, a Christian, had an affair. I forgave her, but she subsequently left me anyway after 28 years of marriage.
For my part, I considered myself to be in a covenant marriage for life, but that principle was left in tatters after she walked out on it.

According to your false theology, I am condemned for something I had no control over.

Thank God for his mercy when He led me to a wonderful faithful lady to whom I am now married.
She was still single after 48 years, waiting for the man that God would send. I was the answer to her prayers, and I know she was to mine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟376,644.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Divorce is not an option in the NT. If you separate you must remain single or be reconciled.

“But to the married I give instructions, not I, but the Lord, that the wife should not leave her husband (but if she does leave, she must remain unmarried, or else be reconciled to her husband), and that the husband should not divorce his wife.” 1 Corinthians 7:10–11 (NASB95)

In both cases this verse states that the believer is not to instigate divorce.

That verse does not address the case when a believer is subject to divorce proceedings from their partner.

Upvote 0

GraceBro

Eternally Forgiven, Alive, and Secure.
Dec 24, 2017
Central Coast
Visit site
✟101,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am middle-aged and I know what the bible says about divorce. However, at my age, most of the dating pool is full of divorced men. Aren't I limiting myself by not wanting to date divorcees?
Of course, you can. You are not under any law saying that you cannot. You are free to do so. Like with any relationship it comes with its own issues; exes, children, financial issues, etc. But, God goes with you into it. Go in peace.

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Divorce is not an option in the NT. If you separate you must remain single or be reconciled.

“But to the married I give instructions, not I, but the Lord, that the wife should not leave her husband (but if she does leave, she must remain unmarried, or else be reconciled to her husband), and that the husband should not divorce his wife.” 1 Corinthians 7:10–11 (NASB95)
"To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord) If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy. But if the unbeliever leaves, let it be so. The brother or the sister is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace." 1 Corinthians 7:12-15

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Which is more heartless? Encouraging people to live in continual sin and end up in hell? Or to avoid sins that send them to hell?
What is heartless is the failure of Christian community that should lighten the burden of singleness particularly for those who have had their hearts ripped out. I have been blessed enough to have lived in such community a couple of times in my life but it is very rare. That we allow such ostracism and isolation among believers while maintaining strident moral standards, that are after all open to interpretation, is the problem. Is it a sin for a person to seek the basic human needs of Love and affection met in this world?

• Informative
Reactions: Dave L
Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We can make this say whatever we want with a few "adjustments". But divorce does not exist in God's sight in the NT. Pagans divorce but they are still married.
It is true that actual divorce does not exist. The effect that a consummated relationship has upon a person is such that, if it is broken, the torn apart pieces of the joined relationship remain in each person as a part of them. This is certainly true at a neurological level and reflects the will of our Creator. It is also why He hates divorce.
So in recognition of the massive damage that is done by broken relationship, when one person tears themselves away from another, what do we do? I can tell you that the open arms of the loving Kingdom of God are simply not available. Rather a whole raft of isolation and loneliness with a large helping of moralizing await those in pain.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is true that actual divorce does not exist. The effect that a consummated relationship has upon a person is such that, if it is broken, the torn apart pieces of the joined relationship remain in each person as a part of them. This is certainly true at a neurological level and reflects the will of our Creator. It is also why He hates divorce.
So in recognition of the massive damage that is done by broken relationship, when one person tears themselves away from another, what do we do? I can tell you that the open arms of the loving Kingdom of God are simply not available. Rather a whole raft of isolation and loneliness with a large helping of moralizing await those in pain.
Remaining single is part of following Christ and involves sacrifice.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord) If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy. But if the unbeliever leaves, let it be so. The brother or the sister is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace." 1 Corinthians 7:12-15
"not bound" = no need to submit.

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Remaining single is part of following Christ and involves sacrifice.
Now for the matters you wrote about: “It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.” But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband....I say this as a concession, not as a command. I wish that all of you were as I am. But each of you has your own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that....
Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I do. But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

I can tell you that the sacrifice of mental health does nothing for the Kingdom.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Now for the matters you wrote about: “It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.” But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband....I say this as a concession, not as a command. I wish that all of you were as I am. But each of you has your own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that....
Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I do. But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

I can tell you that the sacrifice of mental health does nothing for the Kingdom.
Living in adultery = unrepentant sin.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In both cases this verse states that the believer is not to instigate divorce.

That verse does not address the case when a believer is subject to divorce proceedings from their partner.

Upvote 0