Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Divorce is not provided by God in the New Covenant. It was an Old Covenant provision.
Divorce and remarriage was not permitted for the priesthood if they wanted to serve as a Levi.

(chapter 19)

7 “‘They must not marry women defiled by prostitution or divorced from their husbands, because priests are holy to their God. 8 Regard them as holy, because they offer up the food of your God. Consider them holy, because I the Lord am holy—I who make you holy.

13 “‘The woman he marries must be a virgin. 14 He must not marry a widow, a divorced woman, or a woman defiled by prostitution, but only a virgin from his own people, 15 so that he will not defile his offspring among his people. I am the Lord, who makes him holy.’”

• Informative
Reactions: ChicanaRose
Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is incorrect. The Bible has passages about lust and having sex out of wedlock. Also, don't forget one of the Ten Commandments is, "You shall not commit adultery."
Why must going out for a meal or having a coffee together constitute lust and sex?

• Agree
Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Divorce and remarriage was not permitted for the priesthood if they wanted to serve as a Levi.

(chapter 19)

7 “‘They must not marry women defiled by prostitution or divorced from their husbands, because priests are holy to their God. 8 Regard them as holy, because they offer up the food of your God. Consider them holy, because I the Lord am holy—I who make you holy.

13 “‘The woman he marries must be a virgin. 14 He must not marry a widow, a divorced woman, or a woman defiled by prostitution, but only a virgin from his own people, 15 so that he will not defile his offspring among his people. I am the Lord, who makes him holy.’”
Try to find God providing Divorce (or remarriage) for believer in the NT. It's not there. Pagans divorce believers but believers are to remain single or be reconciled. All divorce and remarriage is adultery no matter the reason in the NT.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I thought i read in bible that one may get a divorce if there is adultery involved and they may marry again in this scenario. Outside of adultery you should not divorce for any reason. I would have to go back and check again but swore i read that in there. Forgive me if im wrong and correct me, in the meantime i'll go look again
That was OT Law. The NT makes no such provision. Even then, the innocent wife divorced from an adulterous husband also committed adultery if she remarried according to Jesus in Matthew 19:9

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Try to find God providing Divorce (or remarriage) for believer in the NT. It's not there. Pagans divorce believers but believers are to remain single or be reconciled. All divorce and remarriage is adultery no matter the reason in the NT.
The believer whose unbelieving spouse leaves them is not bound. They are therefore single and free.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The believer whose unbelieving spouse leaves them is not bound. They are therefore single and free.
Divorce was an Old Testament provision. Christians do not divorce in the New Testament. But if an unbelieving spouse deserts (divorces) you, as Christian you are not bound (subject) to them. But must remain single.

Upvote 0

nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Divorce was an Old Testament provision. Christians do not divorce in the New Testament. But if an unbelieving spouse deserts (divorces) you, as Christian you are not bound (subject) to them. But must remain single.

I see you are still avoiding my questions.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Aren't I limiting myself by not wanting to date divorcees?

Yes, you are pushing 1/2 right out of the picture.

Question
Is divorce an unforgivable sin?
or
if one repents can they move on?
M-Bob

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Where is the passage that says I must remain single?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is, I suspect, a rather heartless interpretation of what Paul wrote to the Corinthians.
Perhaps your interpretation might be suitable within the embrace of a loving Christian community and perhaps that is your experience.
But to be told that one must never again experience love or affection because somebody didn't want to be with us anymore is quite simply a kick in in our already ripped apart hearts.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is, I suspect, a rather heartless interpretation of what Paul wrote to the Corinthians.
Perhaps your interpretation might be suitable within the embrace of a loving Christian community and perhaps that is your experience.
But to be told that one must never again experience love or affection because somebody didn't want to be with us anymore is quite simply a kick in in our already ripped apart hearts.
Which is more heartless? Encouraging people to live in continual sin and end up in hell? Or to avoid sins that send them to hell?

Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where is the passage that says I must remain single?
Divorce is not an option in the NT. If you separate you must remain single or be reconciled.

“But to the married I give instructions, not I, but the Lord, that the wife should not leave her husband (but if she does leave, she must remain unmarried, or else be reconciled to her husband), and that the husband should not divorce his wife.” 1 Corinthians 7:10–11 (NASB95)

• Winner
Reactions: Aldebaran
Upvote 0

nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Divorce is not an option in the NT. If you separate you must remain single or be reconciled.

“But to the married I give instructions, not I, but the Lord, that the wife should not leave her husband (but if she does leave, she must remain unmarried, or else be reconciled to her husband), and that the husband should not divorce his wife.” 1 Corinthians 7:10–11 (NASB95)

And what about a divorcee that burns with passion? One that was divorced through no fault of their own.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All divorce and remarriage is adultery no matter the reason in the NT.
Paul says: "Are you bound to a wife? Do not seek to be loosed. Are you loosed from a wife? Do not seek a wife." (1cor7) In the Philippines they put a veil over you and tie the husband and wife together. I can understand the veil because a lot of people have no idea what they are getting themselves into when they get married. Paul goes on to say: "But and if thou marry, thou hast not sinned; and if a virgin marry, she hath not sinned. Nevertheless such shall have trouble in the flesh: but I spare you." Paul makes it clear this is not a sin for a man to marry a virgin. He will have problems and Paul wants to spare us from having to deal with the issues involved in this situation.

Jesus tells us: "10 His disciples said to Him, “If this is the case between a man and his wife, it is better not to marry.” 11“Not everyone can accept this word,”Jesus answered, “but only those to whom it has been given." He makes this clear that not everyone can accept being single.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christian you are not bound (subject) to them. But must remain single.
You do not have to remain single. Paul says you are better off to remain single because of the problems you are going to have. "such shall have trouble in the flesh" 1 cor 7

• Agree
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And what about a divorcee that burns with passion? One that was divorced through no fault of their own.
This seems to assume that marriage can solve a problem. Paul says that they are going to have problems IF they get married.

Can we put this on the balance and weight the problems. He is going to have problems if he remains single and if he gets married he is going to have problems.

What happens when he gets married if his wife decides that she does not want to have sex anymore? How many people get married so they do not: "burn with passion" only to end up in a sexless marriage? Is there some way we can have assurance that the marriage is going to solve this "burning with passion" issue?

• Useful
Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You do not have to remain single. Paul says you are better off to remain single because of the problems you are going to have. "such shall have trouble in the flesh" 1 cor 7
All divorce and remarriage = adultery no matter the reason.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul says: "Are you bound to a wife? Do not seek to be loosed. Are you loosed from a wife? Do not seek a wife." (1cor7) In the Philippines they put a veil over you and tie the husband and wife together. I can understand the veil because a lot of people have no idea what they are getting themselves into when they get married. Paul goes on to say: "But and if thou marry, thou hast not sinned; and if a virgin marry, she hath not sinned. Nevertheless such shall have trouble in the flesh: but I spare you." Paul makes it clear this is not a sin for a man to marry a virgin. He will have problems and Paul wants to spare us from having to deal with the issues involved in this situation.

Jesus tells us: "10 His disciples said to Him, “If this is the case between a man and his wife, it is better not to marry.” 11“Not everyone can accept this word,”Jesus answered, “but only those to whom it has been given." He makes this clear that not everyone can accept being single.
We can make this say whatever we want with a few "adjustments". But divorce does not exist in God's sight in the NT. Pagans divorce but they are still married.

Upvote 0