• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Featured Can we choose evil and good?

Discussion in 'Controversial Christian Theology' started by Landon Caeli, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Landon Caeli

Landon Caeli ~□~

+3,059
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    I'm asking for a friend who was wondering if it is acceptable to party all Friday night long, and into the morning hours, and still do good deeds for others during the week after catching up on sleep, and living an up-style life 5 or 6 out of 7 days?

What's your opinion?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Landon Caeli

Landon Caeli ~□~

+3,059
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Of course, some say it's not exactly "evil" to party all night long... As long as you keep your clothes on.

3. Jeshu

Jeshu Bought by His Blood Supporter

+6,379
    Australia
    Christian
    Married
    Luke 12:34 "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. Landon Caeli

Landon Caeli ~□~

+3,059
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    My friend says he has multiple treasures, but his biggest and most favorite one is in the realm of the good.

5. A_Thinker

A_Thinker Well-Known Member Supporter

+6,865
    Christian
    Married
    I guess it depends what "party all night" means in this case ...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. Ancient of Days

Ancient of Days Well-Known Member Supporter

+805
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Constitution
    ^Exactly. If it includes sin, then you already have your answer...

7. Landon Caeli

Landon Caeli ~□~

+3,059
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    He didn't say exactly, but I assume it means leaving the house and getting totally, out-of-mind, intoxicated.

8. Jeshu

Jeshu Bought by His Blood Supporter

+6,379
    Australia
    Christian
    Married
    Loving the Lord with all your heart, mind and soul has no room to love drunkenness and party spirit. The two i diametrically opposed to each other.

9. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member Supporter

+5,173
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Works of love are acceptable and commendable. Works to fill a quota are nothing more than an exhibit of self-righteousness. But it's better to do those inferior works than no works at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. Agallagher

Agallagher Undereducated.

+442
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    They have the freedom to do what they want.
    Who are we to judge, God is the judge.
    Their life is between them and God.
    be blessed.

I have someone in my life I know who just wants to do drugs and skim by without a job;

I don’t have authority to tell him what he should and shouldn’t do. I can encourage but maybe that is not his route he wanna go on he gotta make his own choices as a man.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Agallagher

Agallagher Undereducated.

+442
    United States
    Christian
    Private

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. Landon Caeli

Landon Caeli ~□~

+3,059
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    In my opinion, moderation is the key factor. If someone can balance a job, and responsibilities without falling off the deep end, then maybe that's not going too far. Maybe such a person who also loves God and what is good could be one of the flock.

13. mikeforjesus

mikeforjesus Senior Member Supporter

+117
    Oriental Orthodox
    No people have to choose if eternal life matters to them or not. Unless they repent and choose to follow Christ they can not be saved

14. Landon Caeli

Landon Caeli ~□~

+3,059
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Are you sure..? Are you sure it's not more "cultural"..?

15. timothyu

timothyu Well-Known Member

+4,229
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Original sin is putting self before the will of God. We all do it. It is part of our animal instinct. But self can lead to self determination of what is good and evil to justify actions which of course leads to gain at the expense of others. So if that is involved your friend has crossed the line intentionally. But that can be rectified. Also getting beep faced only heightens the problem as control of animal instincts lessen. But he may grow out of that if he is not interesting in a conscious effort now to slow down. If he is looking for a solution to have it both ways, then he will fail. Ask him if his creed is what is in it for me, or do my actions benefit or hurt others.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  16. Maria Billingsley

Maria Billingsley Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,630
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Is he a practicing Catholic? According to catholic teaching you can do bad all day long then get your sins wiped away when you step into a confessional and do penance. However, if he is not a practicing Catholic, those good deeds are not counteracting the bad deeds. Sins are piling up.
    The is an entirely different teaching according to the Gospel Jesus Christ of Nazareth. LMK if you care to hear it. Be blessed.

17. Landon Caeli

Landon Caeli ~□~

+3,059
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    He says his actions make other people he's close to angry with him, because they don't want him to go out and party all night. He said they denigrate and belittle him, and they do it out of disrespect for his own freedom... He says they want to "control" him, and that everyone has been "trained" into siding with this controlling, narcissistic type of behavior, but in reality, it actually isn't rational.

18. Landon Caeli

Landon Caeli ~□~

+3,059
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    That's interesting... As a Catholic I never knew that, I thought we had to actually be sorry for sins, and vow to try and not do them again or else the whole confession isn't valid, and forgiveness isn't granted... I thought you can't "fool" God... :)

19. timothyu

timothyu Well-Known Member

+4,229
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    They can be disappointed but like the parable of the sower we can only cast seeds and they will land where they will (in this case suggestions) but not determine how they grow or force them to do so.

Now that could be problematic as responsibility comes before rights.

Like the Christian religion accepts teachings because of tradition over scripture. But yes this is how man's society works. Morality is a matter of democracy and not always the more moral side wins, as we are seeing today.

20. Carl Emerson

Carl Emerson Well-Known Member

+4,362
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married