CAN WE BE SAVED WHILE CONTINUING IN KNOWN UNREPENTANT SIN? WHAT IS SIN? WHAT IS RIGHTEOUSNESS?

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟730,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
What is not Spiritual? Only scripture is posted?

Merely quoting Scripture doesn't make something "spiritual"; the devil is able to quote Scripture. Assuming that one has said something profound and spiritual simply because they've quoted the Bible doesn't mean they have said anything profound and spiritual. That's my point. So quoting a few verses, and then not explaining the point you are making and that someone else is spiritually incapable of understanding it is meaningless hot air. It's religious puffery.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟730,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Are you saying what you posted was not true?

It was a rhetorical question. I don't understand why you're struggling with this.

"rhe·tor·i·cal ques·tion

noun
noun: rhetorical question; plural noun: rhetorical questions
a question asked in order to create a dramatic effect or to make a point rather than to get an answer."

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Merely quoting Scripture doesn't make something "spiritual"; the devil is able to quote Scripture. Assuming that one has said something profound and spiritual simply because they've quoted the Bible doesn't mean they have said anything profound and spiritual. That's my point. So quoting a few verses, and then not explaining the point you are making and that someone else is spiritually incapable of understanding it is meaningless hot air. It's religious puffery.

-CryptoLutheran

As posted earlier, What is not Spiritual? Only scripture is posted

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It was a rhetorical question. I don't understand why you're struggling with this.

"rhe·tor·i·cal ques·tion

noun
noun: rhetorical question; plural noun: rhetorical questions
a question asked in order to create a dramatic effect or to make a point rather than to get an answer."

-CryptoLutheran

What was the point you were trying to make then and why not just speak plainly?

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
With the first question already answered,

1. What is sin?,

Does anyone else wish to have a go at answering the other questions in the OP here?

2. What is rightouesness?

3. What is repentance?

4. What do we repent from?

5. Can we be saved while continuing in known unrepentant sin?

God bless

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟730,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
What was the point you were trying to make then and why not just speak plainly?

My point is that we don't earn brownie points. Everything we have from God is unearned, unmerited, freely given, and ours already on Christ's account.

If one is preaching a message that we must satisfy some measure of moral magnitude in order to be "saved" then they are denying the gift freely given and relying instead on their own efforts and righteousness.

There is only one righteousness that matters for sinners, and that is the righteousness of Jesus Christ freely given as grace.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
My point is that we don't earn brownie points. Everything we have from God is unearned, unmerited, freely given, and ours already on Christ's account.

If one is preaching a message that we must satisfy some measure of moral magnitude in order to be "saved" then they are denying the gift freely given and relying instead on their own efforts and righteousness.

There is only one righteousness that matters for sinners, and that is the righteousness of Jesus Christ freely given as grace.

-CryptoLutheran

Who said we earn brownie points? Salvation is a free gift given to all that BELIEVE and FOLLOW God's WORD *EPHESIANS 2:8.

However, is God's LAW (10 commandments) abolished through faith or is it establsihed in the heart to love *ROMANS 3:31; HEBREWS 8:10-12; ROMANS 13:8-10? If our faith has no fruit is it the Faith that God wants us to have or the faith of the devils *JAMES 2:18-20; 26; MATTHEW 7:16-23?

Is someone who is living a life of known unrepentant sin in a saved state before God or an unsaved state before God *HEBREWS 10:26-27?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟730,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Who said we earn brownie points? Salvation is a free gift given to all that BELIEVE and FOLLOW God's WORD *EPHESIANS 2:8.

However, is God's LAW (10 commandments) abolished through faith or is it establsihed in the heart to love *ROMANS 3:31; HEBREWS 8:10-12; ROMANS 13:8-10? If our faith has no fruit is it the Faith that God wants us to have or the faith of the devils *JAMES 2:18-20; 26; MATTHEW 7:16-23?

Is someone who is living a life of known unrepentant sin in a saved state before God or an unsaved state before God *HEBREWS 10:26-27?

If we must be righteous by our own works for the purpose of our salvation then that is, by necessity, a system of "brownie points".

You don't get to call something a free gift and then talk about how we have to earn it.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
If we must be righteous by our own works for the purpose of our salvation
As a result of. No good fruits as defined by Jesus to verify claim of allegiance to Kingdom rather than world of man, no entrance.

Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟730,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
As a result of.

That would be Ephesians 2:10, we have been saved for good works, to walk in them. Such good works are not about our place with God, but for our neighbor. We have been called to a life of obedience and good works on account of what we have received from God; the point of which isn't our relationship with God; who has given us all things in Christ as grace, after all as far as all our works are concerned--as before the holy and righteous God--are as filthy rags. There is no divine merit to them. But the Christian life isn't entirely vertical, it is also horizontal--our relationship to the world, to other people, to the rest of God's creation. Lutherans make this distinction speaking of the Coram Deo (us before God) and the Coram Mundo (us before the world) or Coram Hominibus (us before other human beings). The vertical and the horizontal as it were.

Before God we can be confident in all the promises God freely has given us in Christ, which are ours freely through faith. This and nothing we have done, say, think, feel, or any act of human will and strength.

Before the world we are called to a life of devotion, service, sacrifice, obedience, and good works.

God doesn't need my good works, but my neighbor does. My neighbor is the one who is hungry. My neighbor is the one who is thirsty. My neighbor is the one who needs clothing, medicine, a roof over their head.

And on the Last Day we will all have to stand before Christ and give account for how we treated others. Not because if we did enough good works God will reward us, and if we didn't do enough good works God will punish us; but because our calling in Christ as His people is to share in Him, and His kingdom, to and for the world. To be a people of the cross to and for the nations.

It's not about religious purity, or some interior moral magnitude; it's about caring about others even as God cares about us.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
God doesn't need my good works, but my neighbor does. My neighbor is the one who is hungry. My neighbor is the one who is thirsty. My neighbor is the one who needs clothing, medicine, a roof over their head.
Exactly. Nothing we do brought about salvation by way of the Kingdom. We could not make it. But those who twist words to say we need not do good works are those who wish to justify their remaining loyal to the world of man. Loving neighbour as self is an attack on the human self serving way

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟730,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Exactly. Nothing we do brought about salvation by way of the Kingdom. We could not make it. But those who twist words to say we need not do good works are those who wish to justify their remaining loyal to the world of man. Loving neighbour as self is an attack on the human self serving way

You're not going to find many Christians who think we shouldn't be doing any good works. Good works are a necessity of the Christian life. But there must be a proper distinction between Law and Gospel, between what God commands and what God gives. As Martin Luther says in the Heidelberg Disputation, "The Law says 'Do this' and it is never done. Grace says 'Trust this' and it is done already." The Law cannot justify, because man is sinful; only God's grace through the Gospel can justify sinners by clothing them with the righteousness of Jesus, and reconciling them to God in Him. Which He has done once and for all through Christ who lived, suffered, died, and rose again.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You're not going to find many Christians who think we shouldn't be doing any good works.
The religious right might disagree unless a convenient work was politically expedient. But that is a matter of pick and choose to benefit the governance of man rather than the governance of God.

only God's grace through the Gospel can justify sinners by clothing them with the righteousness of Jesus, and reconciling them to God in Him.

Before the Kingdom there was no incentive to follow God's will rather than man's except for advantage in a human life. Pleasing God was still second on their mind. Self came first. The Kingdom rectifies that because admittance is gained not through self but loving neighbour as self.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If we must be righteous by our own works for the purpose of our salvation then that is, by necessity, a system of "brownie points".
You don't get to call something a free gift and then talk about how we have to earn it.
-CryptoLutheran

Brother you have not answered a single question asked of you. As posted earlier brother Salvation is a free gift given to all that BELIEVE and FOLLOW God's WORD *EPHESIANS 2:8?

1. Now who is saying you must be rightoues by our own works?

2. If we love GOD will we do what he asks us to do not because we are saved by what he asks us but because we LOVE God *JOHN 14:15; 1 JOHN 2:3-4; JOHN 15:10?

3. Is God's LAW (10 commandments) abolished through faith or is it establsihed in the heart to love *ROMANS 3:31; HEBREWS 8:10-12; ROMANS 13:8-10?

4. If our faith has no fruit is it the Faith that God wants us to have or the faith of the devils *JAMES 2:18-20; 26; MATTHEW 7:16-23?

5. Is someone who is living a life of known unrepentant sin in a saved state before God or an unsaved state before God *HEBREWS 10:26-27?

6. Are trying to answer the OP question # 5. Can we be saved while continuing in known unrepentant sin by saying that we can continue in KNOWN UNREPENTANT SIN and be saved?

Thanks for your clarification.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟730,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Brother you have not answered a single question asked of you. As posted earlier brother Salvation is a free gift given to all that BELIEVE and FOLLOW God's WORD *EPHESIANS 2:8?

1. Now who is saying you must be rightoues by our own works?

2. If we love GOD will we do what he asks us to do not because we are saved by what he asks us but because we LOVE God *JOHN 14:15; 1 JOHN 2:3-4; JOHN 15:10?

3. Is God's LAW (10 commandments) abolished through faith or is it establsihed in the heart to love *ROMANS 3:31; HEBREWS 8:10-12; ROMANS 13:8-10?

4. If our faith has no fruit is it the Faith that God wants us to have or the faith of the devils *JAMES 2:18-20; 26; MATTHEW 7:16-23?

5. Is someone who is living a life of known unrepentant sin in a saved state before God or an unsaved state before God *HEBREWS 10:26-27?

6. Are trying to answer the OP question # 5. Can we be saved while continuing in known unrepentant sin by saying that we can continue in KNOWN UNREPENTANT SIN and be saved?

Thanks for your clarification.

I don't play Adventist games.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Establishing the Law is through the new birth, by grace through faith we become the righteousness of God in Christ. I think thats pretty comprehensive and consistant with what Paul taught in Romans. We do not set aside the Law, we establish it.

I don't know what to tell you about the OP but the questions have been asked and answered, not completely or perfectly but sufficiently, and I would add, repeatedly.
Romans 7:6
But now we have been released from the Law, having died to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in newness of the Spirit and not in oldness of the letter.

• Optimistic
Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I don't play Adventist games.
-CryptoLutheran

There is no games brother, only God's WORD is shared with you. It seems you do not have anything to share. Only God's WORD is true brother and we should believe and follow it *ROMANS 3:4; ACTS 5:29.

God bless.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Back to the OP...

With the first question already answered,

1. What is sin?,

Does anyone else wish to have a go at answering the other questions in the OP here?

2. What is rightouesness?

3. What is repentance?

4. What do we repent from?

5. Can we be saved while continuing in known unrepentant sin?

God bless

Upvote 0