Can we be Christians without ever Partaking of Lord's Meal Emblems?

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Well ... this leads into the whole question "is the entire sacramental economy necessary for salvation?"

So far as being a christian, if you define a christian as someone who is part of a community they attend in person ... then I could see that ... but since it wouldn't apply to any exceptions ... it wouldn't apply to the whole.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,476.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think this is where the distinction between the esse and the bene esse (or plene esse) of the Christian life is useful.

That is, it is possible to be a kind of minimalist Christian (that would mean having only the esse, or what is essential). But then there is the fullness of Christian life, which has real benefits, and which is more than the esse.

You could be Christians who never partook of the Eucharist, and that would be enough for salvation. But it would not be enough for the fullness of Christian life.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I think this is where the distinction between the esse and the bene esse (or plene esse) of the Christian life is useful.

That is, it is possible to be a kind of minimalist Christian (that would mean having only the esse, or what is essential). But then there is the fullness of Christian life, which has real benefits, and which is more than the esse.

You could be Christians who never partook of the Eucharist, and that would be enough for salvation. But it would not be enough for the fullness of Christian life.

I like that Idea, if it meant people who took communion exhibited more of the fruit of the holy spirit and were more likely to help those less fortunate ... then it would have the substance to prove it to everyone. It would be a good sociological study maybe.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Is it necessary or is baptism enough?
This is the kind of thread that is likely to go on for 500 posts, but you are unlikely to get a better answer than the one Paidiske gave you.

Upvote 0

VanillaSunflowers

Black Lives Don't Matter More Than Any Other Life
Jul 26, 2016
DE
✟18,570.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Is it necessary or is baptism enough?
I think what you're asking is are there conditions to being in God's Grace. If I read that as true then bear with me. We are all permitted a choice to hearken to the word of God that is alive in the sermons of Jesus Christ.
Acts 16 tells us, believe in the Lord and you shall be saved.
Belief, faith in Jesus, is all that is required to be saved. James 2 is a great read because it tells you what essentially is, when you are in Christ and regenerated as a newborn in God's love, your work on earth is that of the Father. Because what is belief in a God of love if the believer does not show the charity that Jesus who was sent by God taught by example?

When we love our fellows and treat them with loving kindness, we are at work in the Lord. When we don't scorn those in need but answer their pleading, we are at work in the Lord.

And yet too often there are moments when we think we have to earn Salvation. But Jesus already did that on our behalf by dying so that all we had to do was believe in his sacrifice and why it was done, ask him to give us the gift God's Grace defines,deifies, and we are then His.
You don't have to: Be Baptized. Accept Communion.
Those are rites that give you a fuller union with what it is to be washed clean of your sins. And remembering Jesus and what he did for you by giving his flesh and blood to redeem you from the evils of the world. Sin.

So to answer your question, yes. You are a Christian if you've never had communion. Think of those who are alone but have heard of Jesus. Or took a tract, found a New Testament, read it, and accepted Christ . No one there to immerse them in water. No one there to give them a piece of unleavened bread and a sip of wine. They simply chose to lay in bed, drop to their knees, stand to their feet and shout to the rafters, whatever the Spirit that beckoned them inspires further, and accepted Jesus Christ.

And they are therefore eternally His. And no one shall take them from His hand.

If you are seeking that feeling, may God guide you further. If you can partake of Baptism that is a blessing. Communion, that is a blessing as well. But they are not conditions (works) you must meet in order to be a member of the body of Christ. Faith alone is.

Grace be of God and brings you home. :hug:

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think what you're asking is are there conditions to being in God's Grace. If I read that as true then bear with me. We are all permitted a choice to hearken to the word of God that is alive in the sermons of Jesus Christ.
Acts 16 tells us, believe in the Lord and you shall be saved.
Belief, faith in Jesus, is all that is required to be saved. James 2 is a great read because it tells you what essentially is, when you are in Christ and regenerated as a newborn in God's love, your work on earth is that of the Father. Because what is belief in a God of love if the believer does not show the charity that Jesus who was sent by God taught by example?

When we love our fellows and treat them with loving kindness, we are at work in the Lord. When we don't scorn those in need but answer their pleading, we are at work in the Lord.

And yet too often there are moments when we think we have to earn Salvation. But Jesus already did that on our behalf by dying so that all we had to do was believe in his sacrifice and why it was done, ask him to give us the gift God's Grace defines,deifies, and we are then His.
You don't have to: Be Baptized. Accept Communion.
Those are rites that give you a fuller union with what it is to be washed clean of your sins. And remembering Jesus and what he did for you by giving his flesh and blood to redeem you from the evils of the world. Sin.

So to answer your question, yes. You are a Christian if you've never had communion. Think of those who are alone but have heard of Jesus. Or took a tract, found a New Testament, read it, and accepted Christ . No one there to immerse them in water. No one there to give them a piece of unleavened bread and a sip of wine. They simply chose to lay in bed, drop to their knees, stand to their feet and shout to the rafters, whatever the Spirit that beckoned them inspires further, and accepted Jesus Christ.

And they are therefore eternally His. And no one shall take them from His hand.

If you are seeking that feeling, may God guide you further. If you can partake of Baptism that is a blessing. Communion, that is a blessing as well. But they are not conditions (works) you must meet in order to be a member of the body of Christ. Faith alone is.

Grace be of God and brings you home. :hug:

This is the scripture which provoked the question:
John 6:53

New International Version
Jesus said to them, "Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.

I spent most of my life thinking that it wasn't necessary since the vast majority of the members of the denomination I belonged to
felt that the sacraments were only intended for a special group called the anointed. But I am no longer a member and just recently went to a Catholic Church and partook of the bread or body. They dispense the wine or blood on Saturdays so I still need to complete the Mass by partaking the wine as well.

After having partaken of the body I feel different. As if a supernatural evil which had been hounding me has finally retreated. I no longer need a certain medication which I had been on for twenty years and can finally sleep in peace. Whether it is all some coincidence or not I don't know. But it doesn't feel like a coincidence.
So my question is strongly motivated by this experience as well.

After all;, I had been preaching and living a Christian life but was still tethered to the medication and did not feel any profound sense of peace
which I feel now.

True, there was a certain tranquility, but only if the intense activity of preaching and attending church meetings didn't slacken. If they did, then a foreboding or impending sense of doom would begin to set in.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
What does it mean to eat His flesh and drink His blood?

Hey remember that picture of the zombie Jesus at the last supper ... I'm pretty sure it's not about that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

How do you know if you have never tried to find fullness without it? Many people talk about fullness being in sacraments, but I think its actually in fellowship of the spirit that we find fullness. There is also much fullness found in bearing our cross, and finding personal strength in the Lord, which is found in various trials and tribulations. As paul said, he gloried in necessities, hardships and tribulation, because the power of Christ would rest on him. I think its unwise to put God into a box and say fullness is found only in sacraments, especially if you are not talking from experience. It seems to follow the same mistake the NC Jews followed, they couldn't find fullness without following food restrictions and purity laws.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

VanillaSunflowers

Black Lives Don't Matter More Than Any Other Life
Jul 26, 2016
DE
✟18,570.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
This is the scripture which provoked the question:

I spent most of my life thinking that it wasn't necessary since the vast majority of the members of the denomination I belonged to
felt that the sacraments were only intended for a special group called the anointed. But I am no longer a member and just recently went to a Catholic Church and partook of the bread or body. They dispense the wine or blood on Saturdays so I still need to complete the Mass by partaking the wine as well.

After having partaken of the body I feel different. As if a supernatural evil which had been hounding me has finally retreated. I no longer need a certain medication which I had been on for twenty years. Whether it is all some coincidence or not I don't know. But it doesn't feel like a coincidence.
So my question is strongly motivated by this experience as well.
John 6:51
Jesus' ministry was delivered in a didactic form. He was the bread of life. Verse 53 isn't saying if you don't eat of the communion bread and drink of the wine you are not saved. He's telling you that to believe utterly in him, sustain yourself on his word, is to have life everlasting. Because his truth is food of the soul.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,476.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
How do you know if you have never tried to find fullness without it? Many people talk about fullness being in sacraments, but I think its actually in fellowship of the spirit that we find fullness. There is also much fullness found in bearing our cross, and finding personal strength in the Lord, which is found in various trials and tribulations. As paul said, he gloried in necessities, hardships and tribulation, because the power of Christ would rest on him. I think its unwise to put God into a box and say fullness is found only in sacraments, especially if you are not talking from experience. It seems to follow the same mistake the NC Jews followed, they couldn't find fullness without following food restrictions and purity laws.

I was baptised as an adult, so I have had my own time without the sacraments on which to reflect.

However, I was not arguing that the sacraments were the only thing which define the bene or plene esse of the Christian life, simply that they are part of it. And I base that, as much on anything else, as on the fact that Jesus commanded them.

Reactions: graceandpeace
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I believe Love is the fullness we seek. Love bears and endures all things and suffers long. Christ said that its his broken body and shed blood that he wants us to remember, love suffers long.

2 Corinthians 2:2 My goal is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, 3 in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
John 6:51
Jesus' ministry was delivered in a didactic form. He was the bread of life. Verse 53 isn't saying if you don't eat of the communion bread and drink of the wine you are not saved. He's telling you that to believe utterly in him, sustain yourself on his word, is to have life everlasting. Because his truth is food of the soul.

Yes, I understand that they are symbol's of spiritual; realities as Jesus himself explained when certain Jews took umbrage because they had understood his words literally. Yet he did place importance on the symbolic ritualistic meal and told his apostles to di it in remembrance of him. Not once did I partake but only passed the emblems along to the person beside me who did the same. In short, I felt unworthy to partake because I had been taught to feel unworthy since the emblems were understood to be reserved for a chosen few referred to as the Anointed.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was baptised as an adult, so I have had my own time without the sacraments on which to reflect.

However, I was not arguing that the sacraments were the only thing which define the bene or plene esse of the Christian life, simply that they are part of it. And I base that, as much on anything else, as on the fact that Jesus commanded them.

In your opinion they are part of, but maybe the point Christ wanted to show was not that bread and wine were needed for fullness, but that the blood and wine represented his body and shed blood. When Christ spoke to his disciples about the Passover feast, I don't think he was saying "look, this bread becomes my body" but instead he was saying "this OC Passover bread represents my body, remember that". Its not the bread and wine we should seek, but instead to remember his love for us, and to love each other that way too.

Its interesting that paul seems to describe how people were eating their own private suppers in Church. Did a priest bless it? Was that Pauls complaint? No, he was concerned because the poor were being dishonored. Some people were getting full and drunk, while others had nothing to eat.

Reactions: Radrook
Upvote 0