Apr 26, 2005
Saguache Co
✟7,907.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
heymikey;
by this we know that we have come to know him, if we keep his commandments. Whoever says "I know him" but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him, but whoever keeps his word, in him truly the love of God is perfected. By this we may be sure that we are in him: whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked. 1 John 2:3-6
What happens if you still sin? We all sin even Christians. John says in:
1Jo 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
So how does one sin, and keep the Law at the same time?
John and Peter are actually communicating something to someone, right? So telling people "make your election sure" must mean their election is not sure.

This below is who Peter is talking to;
2Pe 1:1 Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Savior Jesus Christ:
Faith comes by hearing God's word.
Rom 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

The strength of faith also comes by the same way.
ILUVLIGHT:)

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What happens if you still sin? We all sin even Christians. John says 1Jo 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
So how does one sin, and keep the Law at the same time?

Yes we all sin. John says that the person who is keeping Jesus' commands is aware that he knows Jesus. This isn't a matter of gaining & losing salvation, nor of keeping the commands perfectly. It's a matter of heeding Jesus commands and in this way becoming aware of your relationship with Christ Jesus.

Note what the verse does not say: it does not say, "you know Jesus by keeping his commands." No, John intentionally says, "You know you know Jesus by keeping his commands." It's a matter of awareness, not a matter of creating the relationship.
This below is who Peter is talking to;
2Pe 1:1 Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Savior Jesus Christ:

Yes. I don't know why you're quoting this. The fact is Peter said, "make sure of your calling and chosenness." He did say that. And so the question becomes, "If nothing I do can make me more called, more chosen, what's Peter mean?" Therefore my explanation, above. It can't be this, so it must be, "make my calling & election more certain to me/us".

Further afield, Peter is presuming those reading his letter are the faithful. He's sending the letter to the church, the assembly of those who believe. That is not an excruciatingly exact "This guy, this guy, ... well no, not this guy, not him either, ... this guy, oh, definitely this guy." It's to a group of people presumed to believe.
Faith comes by hearing God's word.
Rom 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

The strength of faith also comes by the same way.

That's something of a jump. I've no doubt people can be strengthened in faith by the word of God. However, Scripture denies this is the sole method of strengthening your faith. The worship of God strengthens faith, for instance.

'Hope it helps.

Upvote 0

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
That's something of a jump. I've no doubt people can be strengthened in faith by the word of God. However, Scripture denies this is the sole method of strengthening your faith. The worship of God strengthens faith, for instance.

'Hope it helps.

yes , this is all too common a site here bro ....... :p
skijump.jpg

Upvote 0

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
Holdon said:
I don't see that those were "saved" there.
"Falling-from-salvation" is the theme of the entire letter of Hebrews. See 2:1-3, 3:12-14, 4:1 & 11, 6:4-12, most of ch10, 12:25 for instance. (There are other letters wholly devoted to "falling-from-salvation" --- 2Peter is one, so too Galatians.)

In Heb10:26, he says "WE", and he says "after having received epignosis-knowledge of the truth". The context also presents the consequence of the warning, in verse 29 --- speaking of a man who was sanctified (and by Jesus' blood! There is no way that man was never saved!) --- but that man (who has continued sinning willfully after having received true-knowledge of the truth) now tramples Jesus (as those in 6:4-6 now shame Jesus after having once been enlightened/partners-Holy-Spirit), insults the Spirit and scorns the blood that once sanctified him.

The person spoken of by James in 5:19-20, certainly was saved; but in "wandering from the truth", he walks in a state where his soul IS "in death", and his sins are "uncovered".
That's right. He will finish the good work. Even if we do them, it is He who prepared them. In the end it is all grace.
In Philip1:6 are the words "I am confident that He who began a good work in you will bring it to completion" --- this expresses Paul's confidence (encouragement), not conveying "spiritual guarantee". Verse 1:9 can only be a prayer for us to continue maturing, "in order to be sincere and blameless until the day of Christ". Remaining blameless fully conditions on our maturing/abiding, just as it does in Col1:21-23, and 2Pet3:14 & 17.

It is not "all grace"; it is "grace through faith". Without faith, grace is not received...
But there is constant danger of presenting only half the truth. And a half-truth is worse than a big lie because of its deluding power.
Most of those who hold "OSAS", including Calvinism, have enough of the Truth to be "saved". They know that salvation is indwelt-fellowship with God through Christ, that "born again" is a spiritual rebirth consequenting from His regeneration, that we are "new creations and cannot dwell in sin". My concern is for those who think we cannot be led astray. OR, that "led astray" is still "saved".

Upvote 0

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
Moonbeam said:
...to trust in their righteous actions to obtain and secure, first their salvation, and then, having done so, to continue in like manner so as to secure their heavenly inheritance (by secure I mean obtain as a reward for the good sense to exert effort, in doing righteous things...
That is not what I've conveyed at all. We "secure our heavenly inheritance", by abiding in Him. Not by "righteous actions", but by "faith".

Yet --- in Heb11:6, God rewards those who seek Him by faith. In Col3:25, the "inheritance" is called "a reward". In 1Pet1:9, we "receive as the outcome of our faith the salvation of our souls". In Acts10:34-35, God is not partial, but "to those who fear Him and do right, He welcomes".

Clearly God receives those who come to Him by belief. This conflicts the idea that "God COMES to a few-elect and GIVES them saving-faith".
NOT the Lord Jesus Christ....it's YOU who is the focal point...it is YOU who actually achieves your salvation...because without YOU....He (Jesus Christ) can achieve NOTHING...YOU are in the foreground.....He (is) in the background...
I achieve nothing; I receive the gift He wrought on the Cross. Our disagreement is on the "source of saving-faith"; you see it as a "monergistic-unilateral-UNASKED-gift", and I see it as choice. Both of us see grace as being received by faith; but your view (by casting faith as "second-dispensation-of-grace") rejects the idea of "choice".
Ben said:
The worst possible outcome of "OSNAS" is to drive people to their knees, BEFORE Jesus, strengthening their walk and bringing them closer to the Savior.
Rubbish....it causes one to take their eyes of Jesus Christ...and FOCUS on themselves and their performance...on what they are doing...not what He has done...it developes a self-centredness that is destructive, that erodes Trust+Relience+Belief in what Jesus Christ ACCOMPLISHED at Calvary...it encourages doubt and inflames fears and forebodings...the kind of things Satan delights in....but thats ok...the Lord's children, empowered by His Spirit resist such attacks upon their Faith...and he flees from us (taking his fears and doubts with him)
Exactly the opposite, my friend --- it denies the tendency for "complacency" (luke-warmness), and forces us to realize that an intimate fellowship requires time and effort. It forces us to WALK in Him, seeking His righteousness. It drives us to our knees in thanksgiving and concern, forcing us to draw close to Him --- as James says, "resist the devil and he will flee; draw near to God and He will draw near to you."
YOU know ...that without YOU......He (the Lord Jesus Christ) can do NOTHING....not quite what the Holy Spirit intended I think.
Not at all; simply recognizing that "without faith, it is impossible to please God; he who COMES to God must believe God IS (faith), and that He is a rewarder of those who SEEK Him."
We are totally depraved....but...but what... (but we are not totally depraved??)
We are "totally depraved"; without Jesus we can do nothing.

...but we are "not-without-Jesus", through our faith. We receive Him, and we walk/abide in Him.

Make sense now? I respect and understand what you believe; I hope you are coming to understanding (and respect) of what I believe, what I've learned from Scripture.

:)

Upvote 0

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
ILUVLIGHT said:
What happens to Grace? Aren't we under Grace? and not the Law after Salvation.
But if we "turn away from God (after having known, and been known BY God), back TOWARDS weak/worthless things, we are fallen from grace and severed from Christ." Gal4:9, 5:1, 5:4.
What about this;
1Jo 5:17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.
1Jo 5:18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.
Could there be a connection between "born of God", and "keep yourselves in the love of God"? (Jd21)

John explains why some leave us to live in sin.

1Jo 2:17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth forever.
1Jo 2:18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

1Jo 2:19 They went out from us, but they were not of us: for if they had been of us, they would nodoubt have continued with us: but theywentout, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

Seems fairly clear that those who leave the teaching of Christ and deny Him were never really believing in HIM in the first place.
In that instance, they likely were NOT "ever in Him". But please turn to 2Jn1:7-9; here is a passage addressed to believers, and says "take care that you not lose what was WROUGHT". What was "wrought", I_L_L?

He continues, "anyone who GOES ON AHEAD" --- how can that mean anything BUT "go out from us"?

..."and does not abide in Christ's teachings..." --- that means, "does not abide in Christ".

..."has not God".... --- so anyone who does not guard himself, focusing on "abiding in Him and His teachings", is in danger of "going too far (going out from us) and NOT HAVING GOD"? Really reads like that to me...

"Pay close attention to yourself and your doctrine; PERSEVERE in these things; as you DO you will save yourselves.,.." 1Tim4:16

See the connection?

:)

Upvote 0

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
heymikey80 said:
... and so, since "predestined" is guaranteed by Scripture (Rom 8:29-30)
Rom8:29 says "...those who LOVE God... are predestined to be conformed to the image of Christ, that he might be the firstborn of many."

...those who love Him, are predestined to Christlikeness...

I don't see anything of "predestined-salvation"...
Peter is thus not talking about salvation.
But ... I mentioned this before, didn't I? It's the same.
We simply have a difference in understanding. Peter says: "THEREFORE (against the man who as FORGOTTEN former purification), be all the more diligent to make certain of your calling and election; as long as you PRACTICE these things ...the gates of Heaven will BE (abundantly) provided to you."

I see that as "conditional provision", you do not. Simply a disagreement on understandings.
You just quoted it, but only in part: "be diligent to be certain of your calling and election ...." Peter's pervasively talking about awareness -- about diligence and assurance and certainty and sureness and knowledge. Peter's not talking about how to be saved here. He's talking about assurance, certainty, information and awareness of our current state. He's not focused on how to be saved.
The "bad-example", and the word "therefore" (meaning "don't BE like HIM"), convey the consequence of the warning. The warning itself is couched in the words, "...as long as you... the gates of Heaven will BE provided..."

It angers me that some translations have rendered verse 5 as "add to your faith", as if these things can be ADDED to faith that already IS saved --- there IS no saved faith APART from these attibutes, they are NOT optional! The "correct" translation reads: "Supply IN your (saved!) faith..."

Hence, the warning to "be diligent to make certain these attributes ARE ours". It's identical to Paul's warning in 2Cor13:5, "examine yourselves to see if Christ is IN you..."

We "examine ourselves", by looking at our attributes. If we have "godliness/morality/self-control/kindness/love", then Christ is in us. If we do not, He is not.

Upvote 0

ILUVLIGHT

Apr 26, 2005
Saguache Co
✟7,907.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Ben;
But if we "turn away from God (after having known, and been known BY God), back TOWARDS weak/worthless things, we are fallen from grace and severed from Christ." Gal4:9, 5:1, 5:4.
I'm sorry but neither of the scriptures you've provided say we are severed from Christ.
Gal 4:9 But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?

This verse is a question. Paul isn't claiming that men can fall but is asking how they can be saved and return to sin and be in bondage to it.
The answer is we can't.

This verse is a warning not to become entangled in sin;
Gal 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

And this verse;
Gal 5:4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.
Paul is speaking to those who are living according to the Law. Simply the Law never saved one soul.

How is it you get we can be severed or fallen from these verses?
Your reply to this verse I quoted;
1Jo 5:18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.
Could there be a connection between "born of God", and "keep yourselves in the love of God"? (Jd21)
Actually it is a sign of one who is trully born of God. IOW's If someone doesn't keep them selves, they were never born of God to begin with.

In that instance, they likely were NOT "ever in Him". But please turn to 2Jn1:7-9; here is a passage addressed to believers, and says "take care that you not lose what was WROUGHT". What was "wrought", I_L_L?
The word Wrought is defined as "worked out"
The seed that fell on hard ground receives with the word with readiness of mind, but because he doesn't put down roots or rather participates in what he has learned he soon looses what he received which is the word and not Salvation. No seed survives with out roots.
It is possible to know about Christ as truth and yet not repent or participate in Salvation.
I was raised in a Christian home and was taught the Bible from early childhood. I knew about Christ and I knew He is the way, but I didn't want to be considerd as a hypocrite as I thought all true Christians were. I thought like what is stated in Romans 3:10-18 That all that claimed Christ were only fooling themselves. No one really sought God, None were righteous, and so on, ect.ect. It wasn't until I realized that I was the hypocrite. Playing the part of a Christian when I wasn't.
When I realized that I had become that which I used as an excuse not to be one. I was broken, I was cutt to the bone with conviction. I repented and asked for mercy and was saved. That was 45 years ago. Even though I have never been perfect. I have never wanted to be in bondage to sin since. There has been times when my faith was very weak. Yet I have since being saved never ever been alone in what ever trial I have gone through. I'm not what I should be as a Christian it's true, but Praise God He is always righteous, Just and faithful to and for me. My Point;
We aren't kept in Christ because of our righteousness but because of the righteousness of Christ. We put on the righteousness of Christ. It's His righteousness that we live by not our own.
He continues, "anyone who GOES ON AHEAD" --- how can that mean anything BUT "go out from us"?
I thought we were talking about leaving the faith. Those who go out from us in this since is leaving Christ. In this case they are not of us.
..."and does not abide in Christ's teachings..." --- that means, "does not abide in Christ".

Yes it does, and if they don't abide, then they never did.
..."has not God".... --- so anyone who does not guard himself, focusing on "abiding in Him and His teachings", is in danger of "going too far (going out from us) and NOT HAVING GOD"? Really reads like that to me...
Reads that way to me to but I also see that once you do go out this proves they were never really serious in the first place other wise they would have stayed.

Salvation is a commitment to Christ. Since there is no other higher court than His. He wins by default. Simply there can be no divorce. We are totally commited or there is no contract.
With out a total commitment, a total surrender,a complete yeilding to Him. There is no Salvation. If these are total there is no room for a change of mind. Our commitment includeds our freedom. Either God is our Father or Satan is. we can't have two masters Christ said we can't and I believe it.
"Pay close attention to yourself and your doctrine; PERSEVERE in these things; as you DO you will save yourselves.,.." 1Tim4:16
This verse;
1Ti 4:16 Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.
This confirms the type of commitment that is required for Salvation. It is one were we can't seek a divorce from as some do in there marriages to there wives. If we do, we were never committed to begin with.
It seems many have forgotten what a commitment means.
We don't accept Christ until something better comes along, because there is nothing better. Nothing compares to Christ not my wife, not my children not my grandchildren, Nor all the wealth in the world. Nothing can seperate me from the Love of Christ. I'm that commited...
ILUVLIGHT :)

Upvote 0

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Ben;

I'm sorry but neither of the scriptures you've provided say we are severed from Christ.
Gal 4:9 But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?

This verse is a question. Paul isn't claiming that men can fall but is asking how they can be saved and return to sin and be in bondage to it.
The answer is we can't.

This verse is a warning not to become entangled in sin;
Gal 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

And this verse;
Gal 5:4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.
Paul is speaking to those who are living according to the Law. Simply the Law never saved one soul.

How is it you get we can be severed or fallen from these verses?
Your reply to this verse I quoted;

Actually it is a sign of one who is trully born of God. IOW's If someone doesn't keep them selves, they were never born of God to begin with.

The word Wrought is defined as "worked out"
The seed that fell on hard ground receives with the word with readiness of mind, but because he doesn't put down roots or rather participates in what he has learned he soon looses what he received which is the word and not Salvation. No seed survives with out roots.
It is possible to know about Christ as truth and yet not repent or participate in Salvation.
I was raised in a Christian home and was taught the Bible from early childhood. I knew about Christ and I knew He is the way, but I didn't want to be considerd as a hypocrite as I thought all true Christians were. I thought like what is stated in Romans 3:10-18 That all that claimed Christ were only fooling themselves. No one really sought God, None were righteous, and so on, ect.ect. It wasn't until I realized that I was the hypocrite. Playing the part of a Christian when I wasn't.
When I realized that I had become that which I used as an excuse not to be one. I was broken, I was cutt to the bone with conviction. I repented and asked for mercy and was saved. That was 45 years ago. Even though I have never been perfect. I have never wanted to be in bondage to sin since. There has been times when my faith was very weak. Yet I have since being saved never ever been alone in what ever trial I have gone through. I'm not what I should be as a Christian it's true, but Praise God He is always righteous, Just and faithful to and for me. My Point;
We aren't kept in Christ because of our righteousness but because of the righteousness of Christ. We put on the righteousness of Christ. It's His righteousness that we live by not our own.

I thought we were talking about leaving the faith. Those who go out from us in this since is leaving Christ. In this case they are not of us.

Yes it does, and if they don't abide, then they never did.

Reads that way to me to but I also see that once you do go out this proves they were never really serious in the first place other wise they would have stayed.

Salvation is a commitment to Christ. Since there is no other higher court than His. He wins by default. Simply there can be no divorce. We are totally commited or there is no contract.
With out a total commitment, a total surrender,a complete yeilding to Him. There is no Salvation. If these are total there is no room for a change of mind. Our commitment includeds our freedom. Either God is our Father or Satan is. we can't have two masters Christ said we can't and I believe it.

This verse;
1Ti 4:16 Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.
This confirms the type of commitment that is required for Salvation. It is one were we can't seek a divorce from as some do in there marriages to there wives. If we do, we were never committed to begin with.
It seems many have forgotten what a commitment means.
We don't accept Christ until something better comes along, because there is nothing better. Nothing compares to Christ not my wife, not my children not my grandchildren, Nor all the wealth in the world. Nothing can seperate me from the Love of Christ. I'm that commited...
ILUVLIGHT :)

pretty good post :D

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Rom8:29 says "...those who LOVE God... are predestined to be conformed to the image of Christ, that he might be the firstborn of many."

...those who love Him, are predestined to Christlikeness...
So God changes history? The word is "pro-oriso", "beforehand-designate". Paul's identifying those who love Him as those who are designated beforehand by Him.
I see that as "conditional provision", you do not. Simply a disagreement on understandings.
Yes, but a divide that is unlikely to be patched by further argument.
The "bad-example", and the word "therefore" (meaning "don't BE like HIM"), convey the consequence of the warning. The warning itself is couched in the words, "...as long as you... the gates of Heaven will BE provided..."
Um, "therefore" doesn't convey the extent of the consequence, but simply that you don't want whatever the consequence is.

Which is why I point out, Peter's not referring directly to salvation. Peter says "as long as you ... the gates of heaven will be superabundantly provided". So even in the contrary Peter isn't saying that heaven is withheld, but that heaven is not superabundantly provided.

But of course not the contrary, but the contrapositive, is logically deduced from Peter's statement.
It angers me that some translations have rendered verse 5 as "add to your faith", as if these things can be ADDED to faith that already IS saved --- there IS no saved faith APART from these attibutes, they are NOT optional! The "correct" translation reads: "Supply IN your (saved!) faith..."
As I remember it, "in" is simply "en" instrumental -- so "supply by your faith". As Reformed theology points out, your faith is indeed accompanied by other saving graces through which it is an instrument for their use.

Those graces become indicators. But they are not absolute indicators. Faith is the sole determinant. You can have knowledge and be unsaved. You can have piety and be unsaved. You can have temperance and be unsaved.

So far I get the impression your reaction is against a theology far different from Reformed theology -- a theology of shallow conversion. Reformed theology is not one for shallow conversion -- it's opposed to that view of redemption.
Hence, the warning to "be diligent to make certain these attributes ARE ours". It's identical to Paul's warning in 2Cor13:5, "examine yourselves to see if Christ is IN you..."

We "examine ourselves", by looking at our attributes. If we have "godliness/morality/self-control/kindness/love", then Christ is in us. If we do not, He is not.
:sleep:They're indicators, and they are not absolute indicators. Ghandi could probably tell us that by now. Peter is telling us to use the indicators that we have, because they have some reliability. But Peter is not telling us these things are ontologically necessary to one another. But I've mentioned this before, too.

If they were ontologically connected, why would Peter even mention them? The believers would already be doing them.

And if they were ontologically connected, then we should all be perfect Pharisees. But instead we continue to sin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JesusChristisallineed

Oct 19, 2006
✟7,730.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Here is what someone else had to say. I thought I'd throw this in for thought: www.jesusplusnothing.com Eternal Security – Part 2

Some of those ‘but what about…’ passages!
By I Gordon
Question 1: What does ‘falling away’ or ‘turning away’ mean to a saved person? In looking up these verses again, I found it interesting that the term 'fall away' was used by the Lord Jesus of His 11 disciples at the time of His arrest. The disciples deserted Jesus as was predicted and Peter obviously denied Jesus three times. This was said to be a 'falling away'. (see Matt 26:31-35) Obviously, this is not a loss of salvation. For the true believer it may involve a temporary period of backsliding or time of being out of fellowship with God. It is times when for one reason or another, the believer is having difficulty in his Christian walk. The believer would not however deny what they believe in their heart, even though their walk would not match what they believe. But note that even though Jesus said they would 'fall away', in the very same context, he also said to Peter that he had prayed that his faith would not fail and when he returned, to strengthen his brethren. (Luke 22:32) In other words, true believers may fall at times but their faith does not fail because Jesus intercedes for them. Concerning this intercession we are told 'hence, also, He is able to save forever those who draw near to God through Him (true salvation), since He always lives to make intercession for them.' And when do true believers need Jesus' intercession more but when they are struggling? See also John 17:6-12 concerning this intercession by Jesus for His believers. In this ‘High Priestly’ prayer, Jesus makes it clear that the ones that God has given Him he keeps safe! See also Rom 8:32-34 where Jesus' intercession is used as one of the points to show that we cannot be separated from the love of Christ.

In contrast to this are several other passages which speak of apostasy. The first falling away is temporary and is in regard to their walk. For a true believer however, they will never deny their faith in the Lord Jesus. And, like the true prodigal son, they will return. Apostasy however, as mentioned in Heb 6:6 and 1 Tim 4:1 amongst other verses, speaks of a falling away from the faith - an abandonment of the faith and truth of the gospel. This is prophesied to increase greatly in the end times. As Heb 6:4-7 states this is done by those who very much look like they are genuine saved believers. They have known everything that is needed to be saved; they have felt the conviction and drawing of the Holy Spirit, maybe even seen other signs that enable them to make a genuine decision. They may even go along with Christian teaching for a while... but they become apostates... prodigal pigs who turn away from it all, deny the truth and go back to the mud.

Concerning apostasy (deliberately falling away and turning from the truth of the faith) William MacDonald writes in the Believers Bible Commentary - 'Apostasy is a sin which is only committed by unbelievers, not by those who are deceived, but by those who knowingly, and wilfully and maliciously turn from the truth... Apostasy should not be confused with backsliding. A true believer may wander very far from Christ. Through sin his fellowship with God is shattered. But he can be restored to full fellowship as he confesses and forsakes his sin.'

Question 2: Are the people spoken of in 2 Peter 2, who had knowledge of Jesus and then left, true believers who have now lost their salvation? J. Vernon McGee, a well loved Bible teacher, wrote about this passage, saying that that there are prodigal sons (Luke 15) and there are prodigal pigs! (2 Pet 2:22) The prodigal son gave up that which his father had for him and wasted it all through sinful living. But because he was a true son, he turned, repented and came back to his father. A prodigal pig on the other hand, is one who comes into church for a season, tries to tidy himself up, yet not being truly saved and still having the nature of a pig, his desire is to return to the mud from which he came and that is exactly what he does! A prodigal son may stupidly go into the world for a season, but in his heart he will never find rest and will long for, and return, home. Where as a prodigal pig may wash all the mud off, come into church, but in his heart he won’t find rest either, for the nature of a pig just loves mud and given time will return. The people mentioned in 2 Peter 2:22 are prodigal pigs who do not have a true saving faith. We should also see the context that this whole passage is talking about. The whole chapter is concerning false teachers and false prophets. They ‘forsake the right way and go astray’, ‘revelling in their deceptions.’ Doesn’t sound like sheep to me!

Question 3: …I read the passage Hebrew 6:4-6. This has put a great fear in my heart for fearIt speaks of true Christians who fall away and lose their salvation.

If that is true, then also notice that it is impossible
  1. for them to come back. (vs 6) You wrote in your question that this passage put ‘great fear in your heart that you would not be able to fully return and receive the Spirit in your life.’ Well, this passage goes further than that and says those who have fallen away, whoever they are, CANNOT come back.
  2. It speaks of professing believers who are in fact, prodigal pigs. They are apostates. Those that have heard, seen, and tasted all that they need to be truly saved, but haven’t become born again Christians and still having the nature of a pig within them, wilfully turn their backs on it all and return to wallow in the mud!
To say that it is true Christians who have lost their salvation (as no 1 does) doesn’t line up with the promises in the rest of God’s word for God’s true sheep that salvation is secure (such as John 6:37-40, John 10:26-30, and Rom 8:33-39 especially in light of Rom 11:29 plus heaps of others). Nor does the fact that these people can’t repent (if they were true Christians) line up with other scriptures such as the prodigal son, 1 John 1:9 and the overall teaching of the New Testament. So I don’t believe point 1. Point 2 is what I believe, and here is why.
  1. (vs 1-3) Firstly, at the start of the chapter, it talks about going on to maturity. Then in verse 3 it says, ‘and this we will do if God permits.’ So straight away it is showing the possibility that there may be some that God does not permit to go on. Whoever they are… The next verse speaks about those who God does not permit to go on because it starts with ‘for in the case of those who once have been…’ Now God will permit anyone to go on who desires to, but these people don’t desire to, but have rejected it all! And having hardened their heart and become proud they now openly reject Christ. In other words – apostates! God opposes them because in their pride they wilfully oppose Him. But don’t ever think that there are some who truly desire to come close to God whom he won’t allow.
  2. (vs 4-8) Now you probably think that they must have been true Christians for it says they were enlightened, tasted the word of God, and had partook of the Holy Spirit. But all these words can still be true the unsaved individual who has come to a knowledge of the truth, seen the power of the Holy Spirit, and felt the convicting and drawing of the Holy Spirit in their life. Judas was an extreme example of this. He knew all there was to know having followed Jesus for three years. He had experienced the Holy Spirit’s power having been among the twelve sent out, two by two, to cast out demons and heal the sick. Yet he was never truly saved! Jesus own testimony about him confirms that he was not a true sheep that would be kept safe to the end. (John 17:11-12, John 13:18) None of the key words for truly saved individuals such as ‘saving faith’, ‘eternal life’, ‘born again’, ‘redeemed by his blood’, ’saved’, ’salvation’ are used in this passage. In ‘Hebrews verse by verse’, William Newell quotes R.A Torrey on this passage saying ‘there is a quickening short of regeneration’. In other words, this passage speaks of the work of the Holy Spirit within the lives of these people that occurs before and leading up to salvation. But these people do not receive salvation, and openly rejecting it, they go back to the mud even if for a while they looked like the real thing!
  3. (vs 9-10) Greater evidence of the fact that these people were not saved is given in verse 9. Things change in this verse, for now He is speaking to those truly saved (calls them BELOVED). He says that even though he speaks like this concerning THOSE types of people, He is convinced of better things concerning YOU. Things that accompany SALVATION. In other words, the people he was talking about in verses 4-8 didn’t have salvation (and their open rejection testifies to this as well). But he has confidence in the beloved because they are saved! And this will show in their life through their perseverance.
In the Believers Bible Commentary, William MacDonald writes

‘Some earnest Christians are troubled when they read Hebrews 6 and similar passages. Satan uses these verses especially to unsettle believers who are having physical, mental, or emotional difficulties. They fear that they have fallen away from Christ and that there is no hope of restoration. They worry that they have drifted beyond redemption’s point. The fact that they are concerned about it is conclusive evidence that they are not apostates! An apostate would never have any such fears; he would brazenly repudiate Christ. If this sin of apostasy does not apply to believers, to whom then does it apply? It applies, for instance, to a young man who makes a profession of faith in Christ, but then something happens in his life. Perhaps he falls into gross immorality. Or perhaps he goes off to college and is shaken by the anti-Christian arguments of atheistic teachers. With full knowledge of the truth, he deliberately turns away from it, completely renouncing Christ, and viciously tramples on every sacred fundamental doctrine of the Christian faith. The Bible says it is impossible to restore such a one to repentance.’

Question 4: What about Hebrews 10:25-30? What is the ‘wilful sin’ mentioned and is this a loss of salvation?

Heb 10:25-30 is basically a parallel passage to the Heb 6 passage previously mentioned. We should always remember that Hebrews was written to Hebrews – that is, Jewish believers in the first century. That doesn’t make it irrelevant for us, but we should at least read it in its first century context. For a Jew to become a Christian in the first century (and now!) basically meant the death sentence as far as their relationship with their family was concerned. They lost any right to an inheritance and came under extreme pressure (including physical persecution) to leave Christ and go back to Judaism. And that is what many did, even though for a while they looked like true believers. Read Heb 10:25-30 with this in mind. The wilful sin mentioned in verse 26 is linked to the verse before it because it starts with ‘for if..’. The verse before it is speaking of leaving the assembly of believers. The wilful sin that this passage talks about is leaving Christ and going back to Judaism, which was happening. Under Judaism, and what they were going back to, there no longer remained a sacrifice for sin (vs 26) (because God didn’t accept animal sacrifices anymore after Jesus had died for all sin, for all time.) But only judgement could be expected (vs 27 – it is also interesting that Hebrews was written only a couple of years before the destruction of Jerusalem, the temple, and the whole Jewish sacrificial system in 70AD by the Romans. Some believe the judgements warned about in the book of Hebrews were speaking of this event.) They had trampled the Son of God underfoot because they had said that His death wasn’t enough or didn’t mean anything and they would carry on with their Jewish sacrifices. This also is how you insult the Spirit of grace. You don’t insult the Spirit of grace by seeing your great need of grace. But you do insult the Spirit of grace when you wilfully turn your back on that grace and go ahead with your own laws and works as an effort to have your own righteousness and means of salvation under the old Jewish laws and sacrificial system.

Like I said at the start, this passage is a parallel passage to Hebrews 6, speaking of the apostasy of those who give up their profession of faith in Christ. The warning is given of what will happen to those that do this. But like the passage in chapter 6, the writer of Hebrews doesn’t leave true believers with this thought of judgement. In chapter 6, at the end of the warning he wrote: ‘But, beloved, we are convinced of better things concerning you (the true believers), things that accompany salvation, though we are speaking in this way.’ After the warning in chapter 10, the writer gives the same encouragement to true believers when he writes: ‘But we are not of those who shrink back to destruction (the professing believers who became apostate), but of those who have faith (true believers) to the preserving of the soul.’

Question 6: What does it mean that a branch that doesn’t bare fruit will be cast into the fire? Does that refer to a saved person that does nothing for Christ like witnessing or being active in serving Christ?

There are at least three common interpretations that are given of this difficult verse.
1. It speaks of a saved person who has lost their salvation and is thrown into Hell.
2. It speaks of a professing Christian who, while they look like they have saving faith, prove by their life that this is not the case, and are thrown into Hell.

My own personal view would be the second point. I don't believe the first point as 1 Cor 3:15 clearly states that for a true believer, even if their work is burned up (ie no fruit) they are still saved, but as one who just escapes through the fire. They are in Heaven, but they have no rewards. And one scripture never contradicts another. For me, the language of the verse makes it hard to believe point 3. I believe that Judas is given to us as an example of those who look very much like they are true followers of Christ, and in the vine, but they show by not abiding in Jesus that that is not the case. Jesus made it clear that Judas was not one of the ones whom He had kept safe and guarded (John 17:12, 13:18), and he wasn’t a true believer. He had different motives (as a lot of 'converts' do today) in following Jesus.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.