Can the President Pardon Himself?

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,396.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I believe that Trump can do just that. "innocence" is not a legal term. After being pardoned, Trump couldn't be found guilty.

The president (and most of his team) believe that the
Mueller's investigate of Trump is a witch hunt. One way to make any hunt for crimes by his team irrelevant is to pardon everyone on his team, including himself. In theory, that would move Mueller's focus to Russian actions, rather than Trump team actions, since no action by a member of a Trump team member could be brought to trial.

The primary problem with this is the political problem. The optics are terrible. The Senate and House investigations would continue, asking for the same information that Mueller was asking for. And, of course, pardoning everyone could be considered "abuse of power", something previously found to be an impeachable offense, but not necessarily involving any illegal actions.

There's also the issue that the President can't pardon state crimes, only federal ones. Since it looks like accepting a pardon is an admission of guilt I'd imagine State AGs would get into the action (assuming they're not already).

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

PeachyKeane

M.I.A.
Mar 11, 2006
✟91,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
View attachment 201947 The President's reply is also part of the story.

What is he replying to? And what is FAKE NEWS in this tweet? The leaks? The Presidential Pardoning Power? Does he just put FAKE NEWS at the end of all of his tweets now?

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
From my understanding, Trump can technically pardon anyone so long as it doesn't involve impeachment.

My anonymous sources said that he is also looking to pardon Bush for 9/11, Obama for faking his birth certificate, and Hillary Clinton for Foster's death.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,147,492.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
From my understanding, Trump can technically pardon anyone so long as it doesn't involve impeachment.

My anonymous sources said that he is also looking to pardon Bush for 9/11, Obama for faking his birth certificate, and Hillary Clinton for Foster's death.
Lol. And the funny thing is is given the impression That trump gives, this is believable^_^

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
But the President is not proposing nor considering that - the media is, but the President is not.

Nevertheless, the man who has in the past claimed to be his own best adviser is finally turning to the experts for advice on Presidential matters... and out of all the topics he could (and desperately should) be asking about, it's pardons.

Granted, it doesn't prove anything, but the timing is a wee bit suspicious

Upvote 0