Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
We're in new territory if he tries, and we'll have to see what the Supreme Court has to say. What a bizarre, watershed moment if they allow this.

In any event, a president cannot use the pardon power to immunize himself from impeachment or from prosecution by one or more of the 50 states. Were a president to pardon himself, this would surely trigger prosecution in the states (e.g., for fraud or tax evasion). It would, therefore, be a very foolish decision. The pardon would be admissible evidence of guilt.

Upvote 0

Vyrzaharak

Jul 8, 2017
Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy
✟18,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Under the principle definition, one cannot receive clemency or a pardon without being having been found guilty. There's no other way. But just like all other politics, THE LEGAL SYSTEM LOVES ITS OWN DEFINITIONS.

So I'm just going to defer to Albert Einstein on this: "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A Governing Ruler in any country does not need to pardon himself.

There's other things to do to accomplish desired goals.

Release the known cure for leukemia for example.

Or declare war, (done more frequently,of course).
Presidents cant declare war, sorry. And i have the cure for leukemia and i am keeping it secret.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Under the principle definition, one cannot receive clemency or a pardon without being having been found guilty. There's no other way. But just like all other politics, the legal system loves its own definitions.
I don't think that's true - Ford pardoned Nixon before he was impeached or even charged with anything.

From Wikipedia:
A presidential pardon of Richard Nixon (Proclamation 4311) was issued on September 8, 1974, by President of the United States Gerald Ford, which granted former president Richard Nixon a full and unconditional pardon for any crimes he might have committed against the United States while president.[1][2] In a televised broadcast to the nation, Ford, who succeeded to the presidency upon Nixon's resignation, explained that he felt the pardon was in the best interests of the country, and that the Nixon family's situation was "a tragedy in which we all have played a part. It could go on and on and on, or someone must write the end to it. I have concluded that only I can do that, and if I can, I must."[3] (Full text )​

• Agree
Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Vyrzaharak

Jul 8, 2017
✟18,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't think that's true - Ford pardoned Nixon before he was impeached or even charged with anything.

Did you forget to read where I mentioned that the legal system loves its own definitions or just intentionally throw it to the side of your brain?

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it is unlikely that if it (investigating pardoning himself) were true that they would announce it to the media, unless....here is what one of the legal scholars said,

First, it is surprising this kind of a request — one that ordinarily would arise in the context of a confidential communication between a client and his attorneys — found its way to reporters. If one or more of Mr. Trump’s “close advisers” (the terminology employed by the Washington Post) communicated this information to reporters, did they do so with or without the president’s knowledge? One of the president’s attorneys has already denied the Washington Post’s report as “nonsense,” but that doesn’t reveal much about the original leak.

Moreover, one might wonder if the self-pardon talk is being raised as a method of reining in the special prosecutor’s investigation, or as a means of distracting the special prosecutor’s team by forcing them to consider a series of unprecedented, even if politically far-fetched, legal arguments.

The New York Times’s report that the Trump team is investigating Mr. Mueller’s team for conflicts of interests is consistent with this tactic. The actual merits of these claims matter less than their intended strategic effect, which is to place the special prosecutor and his team on the defensive.

President Trump is considering pardoning himself. I asked 15 experts if that's legal.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Did you forget to read where I mentioned that the legal system loves its own definitions or just intentionally throw it to the side of your brain?
Get over yourself.Whatever.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How about you read a post before responding?
So I'm just going to defer to Richard Feymann on this: "Get over yourself."Whatever.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Vyrzaharak

Jul 8, 2017
✟18,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So I'm just going to defer to Richard Feymann on this: "Get over yourself."

You first. You responded to my post, trying to contradict what I said, when I quite clearly accounted for the different systems to begin with.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟837,898.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Under the principle definition, one cannot receive clemency or a pardon without being having been found guilty. There's no other way. But just like all other politics, the legal system loves its own definitions.

So I'm just going to defer to Albert Einstein on this: "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."
That is simply not true. Nixon was pardoned without being found guilty of anything.

• Agree
Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0

Vyrzaharak

Jul 8, 2017
✟18,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is simply not true. Nixon was pardoned without being found guilty of anything.

How about you read the part where I talk about how the LEGAL SYSTEM LOVES ITS OWN DEFINITIONS!? Can you not read that part?

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟837,898.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

I believe that the president has the unlimited right to pardon anyone including himself. In fact, the law specifically says that the act that he cannot overturn or prevent is impeachment, implying that he can pardon himself. Besides, it make little difference. If Trump was convicted of anything criminal, he would be impeached, and Pence would pardon Trump. We've seen this before, after all.

However, as another poster has indicated, pardoning himself would likely lead to impeachment, probably by Republicans not even bothering to wait until 2019.

Upvote 0