dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I struggle with feeling I have pretty much left the christian faith, but not really wanting to commit to taking any alternative path through life. So though I would not be a "practicing christian" (involved in a church etc), I still have a fair bit of knowledge from books about christianity. But if I was a truly a believer then most of the time I don't feel like I am anymore, but sometimes I do feel I might still be a christian but that I am just not myself at the moment. I don't know what to do or how to return.

Any advice appreciated.

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I struggle with feeling I have pretty much left the christian faith, but not really wanting to commit to taking any alternative path through life. So though I would not be a "practicing christian" (involved in a church etc), I still have a fair bit of knowledge from books about christianity. But if I was a truly a believer then most of the time I don't feel like I am anymore, but sometimes I do feel I might still be a christian but that I am just not myself at the moment. I don't know what to do or how to return.

Any advice appreciated.
I think some were led into belief in a false Christ. And to abandon this is good. So it's important to know the different views of Christ and see if this is the case. There was a time I thought I did this having been misled by the churches I stumbled into. I found the Calvinistic view of Christ one I could have a solid faith in.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

Any advice appreciated.
Start from zero. If you are not sure, then why risk your eternal future on a feeling? You are either born again or you are not.

I suggest that you check out this link: The Way - Christian Life Frankston

It's a comprehensive look at what a Christian is and how you can become born again. It's not just a mental belief system. It's a whole new way of life. You need to be willing to turn from your present path and accept God's way of salvation, which is only through Christ. Read the article, it won't hurt and it could be the best thing that you've read in your life.

Upvote 0

AvisG

Site Supporter
Oct 15, 2019
West
✟23,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Any advice appreciated.
Well, what does it "feel" like to be a Christian, anyway? In my 49-year Christian walk, such as it is, I have explored numerous other paths and have often not "felt" like much of a Christian. On these very forums, any number of self-professed "real" Christians are sure I'm not a Christian at all! (This, of course, makes me pretty sure I am.)

Perhaps like you since you speak of your "fair bit of knowledge," I have a very extensive depth of knowledge of Christian theology and apologetics. If you don't hide your head in the sand, as many prefer to do, you quickly see that what it means to be a Christian is rather a debatable subject. You can easily end up "feeling" like not a Christian at all.

Rather than relying on feelings, I'd ask myself "What do I think a Christian is? What are the real essentials? Is that me?"

The essentials are not church, statements of faith or theological positions. You must decide for yourself what you think the essentials are - and whether you believe them. Already, you are receiving well-meaning and well-intentioned "advice" that is only going to exacerbate your doubts. Don't let anyone else tell you what a "real" Christian is or what you "need to do."

If I were you, I'd focus on two things:

1. Prayer. Realistically, you aren't going to waste significant amounts of time on something in which you don't believe. Ratchet up your prayer life and see if you don't start "feeling" more like a Christian and having many of your concerns evaporate.

2. The Resurrection: This is the sine qua non of Christianity. I have always used this as my gut-check: "Do I actually believe in the Resurrection, or do I suspect Jesus' body rotted away in some grave?" If you can answer "I actually believe," you don't have much to worry about. If you're on the fence, there are many excellent books that deal with the Resurrection in a logical, factual manner - N.T. Wright, Gary Habermas, William Lane Craig, Michael Licona and others.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Any advice appreciated.

What have feelings got to do with whether something is true or not?

Did Jesus rise from the dead?
Please submit your evidence if you believe he didn't.

If the evidence demonstrats that Jesu rose from the dead, it also shows that he is the Son of God and that you need to follow him.

So do so.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

Any advice appreciated.
Ignore feelings. You can come back. Catholics and the Orthodox have a sacrament just for that purpose.

Upvote 0

Gr8Grace

Mar 11, 2018
South Dakota
✟75,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Any advice appreciated.
Once a Christian always a Christian. Romans 8:38-39, John 10:28, John 5:24.

After this secure and eternal salvation......We have the choice to fellowship with Him and live in His plan. This is the area where the majority of us fail. He never fails in our salvation and in giving what we need.......We fail in living in His plan and utilizing all that He has given us after our eternal salvation.

We get mixed up in all kinds of wrong doctrines(like losing salvation or ceasing to be a Christians.)

His advice to us is simple.

1 John 1:9 name and site your sins to HIM and carry on. Abide/fellowship with Him and do not grieve or quench the Spirit that DWELLS FOREVER in us.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Any advice appreciated.
What @Sabertooth said I’ll expand on.

There are a few views on apostasy in the Bible. The two major views are (1) an apostate May have been part of the church and church life but not a born again aka regenerate Christian. One who never returns. (2) the other is an apostate is someone who was saved but lost his/her salvation. And never returns.

Let’s hope to not let your thread turn into a debate over the two major views above. Let’s look at what both have in common. The “never returns.” Meaning to God and not a specific church. Although it is being in communion with other Christians which expands our understanding of God, Holy Scriptures and the Christian walk of faith and repentance.

There is another element it seems endemic of apostasy. A hate for God and joining other enemies of God against the followers of Jesus Christ, His church (not a building I speak of here but His Body).

I think as the Bible points out this apostasy is a point of no return. A point where the heart has been so hardened there is no return. As we see in Romans 1:22-32

My observations? Those that come to these threads asking if they are past the point of no return, exhibit anxiety and remorse over being away? I don’t think that constitutes apostasy as the referenced Romans passage shows an apostate would not care and would be willfully defiant not wanting to return.

In your case? Pray brother. Jesus our victorious King is willing to heal, He is faithful and true. Cast your burdens on Him and in faith and trust know He will keep His promises.

And remember, Jesus promised us sufferings and tribulations as we sojourn as pilgrims in this unholy world. He also promised He will neither leave us as orphans, yes the Promise of the Holy Spirit. Above all the Promise we lay hold to as a sure and steadfast anchor is His Promise of eternal life.

In short our King wore a crown of thorns here on earth to redeem us...He did not promise us a rose garden here on earth.

Our King is now seated at the Right Hand of the Father in all Power and Glory. He will come again one day as THIS King to restore all things and raise us up from the dead bringing the Promised inheritance in Him, through Him and then with Him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I struggle with feeling I have pretty much left the christian faith, but not really wanting to commit to taking any alternative path through life. So though I would not be a "practicing christian" (involved in a church etc), I still have a fair bit of knowledge from books about christianity. But if I was a truly a believer then most of the time I don't feel like I am anymore
Salvation is not based on emotions (feelings) but on faith in Christ's work on the cross on your behalf, and trusting that He alone will save you.

but sometimes I do feel I might still be a christian but that I am just not myself at the moment.
Once a Christian (biblical standard), always saved. How do I know? Jesus taught that those who believe possess eternal life in John 5:24, 6:47. And the apostle John reiterated the same thing in 1 John 5:11 and 13.

Jesus also taught that believers are given eternal life and shall never perish. That means once a Christian, always saved.

I don't know what to do or how to return.
Any advice appreciated.
First, you need to figure out what you actually believe. What do you believe about Jesus Christ? Do you believe that He is the Son of God, who died on a cross for your sins, and gives those who believe in Him for salvation are given eternal life?

If you believe these things, then you ARE saved, whether you act like a Christian or not.

Next, you need to understand that faith in Christ makes you a child of God.
John 1:12 - Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God—

Gal 3:26 - So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith,

The result of becoming a child of God is that God the Father has every right and authority to DISCIPLINE His children. And that discipline is PAINFUL.

Heb 12:11 - No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

The general pattern of God's discipline for His children is found in 1 Cor 11:30 - That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep (euphemism for physical death).

God's discipline is avoiding by being obedient to His commands. Just like human parenting.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I found the Calvinistic view of Christ one I could have a solid faith in.
I recommend the biblical view of Christ to believe in. Both Calvinists and Arminians understand that Christ died on the cross for the sins of mankind, but both are man-made theologies, born from not rightly dividing the word of truth. And both, while claiming to be biblical, are contrary to each other.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I recommend the biblical view of Christ to believe in. Both Calvinists and Arminians understand that Christ died on the cross for the sins of mankind, but both are man-made theologies, born from not rightly dividing the word of truth. And both, while claiming to be biblical, are contrary to each other.
They are two different Christianities and two different Christs.Try to find common ground in the details.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I still have a fair bit of knowledge from books about christianity.

But if I was a truly a believer then most of the time I don't feel like I am anymore, but sometimes I do feel I might still be a christian but that I am just not myself at the moment. I don't know what to do or how to return.

Any advice appreciated.

Is it about our knowledge?
Or about what Christ did (gave)?

Jesus explained being born again to Nichodemus.
How much control do we have over that?
((The Wind))
M-Bob

• Agree
Reactions: crossnote
Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Start from zero. If you are not sure, then why risk your eternal future on a feeling? You are either born again or you are not.

I suggest that you check out this link: The Way - Christian Life Frankston

It's a comprehensive look at what a Christian is and how you can become born again. It's not just a mental belief system. It's a whole new way of life. You need to be willing to turn from your present path and accept God's way of salvation, which is only through Christ. Read the article, it won't hurt and it could be the best thing that you've read in your life.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Currently I am reading By Searching by Isobel Kuhn.

I guess what I question at times is if I don't believe why don't I just embrace a worldly lifestyle? But a legalistic temperament prevents me I think.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
They are two different Christianities and two different Christs.Try to find common ground in the details.
I don't agree. Both understand faith in Christ for dying for personal sin. Calvinists get off the rails in their misundertanding of election and Arminians get off the rails in their view of loss of salvation.

Please explain how the 2 theologies have different Christs. I've never heard that.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Thanks, I'll take a look.

Currently I am reading By Searching by Isobel Kuhn.

I guess what I question at times is if I don't believe why don't I just embrace a worldly lifestyle? But a legalistic temperament prevents me I think.
A 1950's preacher put it this way. "Most Christians have enough religion to bug them but not enough to bless them". There is a desperate need for Christians to enter in fully to what Christ has done for them already. Read Ephesians. It starts off with all that we have in Christ. Then it tells us how we should live in the light of who we are now. Most Christians work back to front. They try to behave in order to get what God has for them. It's the recipe for failure and defeat.

Fear keeps a lot of Christians (I use the word "Christian" in the loosest sense) behaving more or less correctly. But it is not from the heart and it is of little worth in the Kingdom of God. You need to know that Christ is your life. It really means just that. A dog is a dog because it has dog life. Everyone knows what a dog is like. It barks, eats anything, is friendly, wags its tail and so on. A cat is a cat because it has cat life. A cat will sleep most of the day, is suspicious of anything new, hates loud noises, can be affectionate, is fussy about food and will kill wildlife with glee.

A Christian is a Christian because he has the life of Christ. He wants to be with other Christians. The Bible is important to him. He wants to know God's will. He talks to God. Many sins just drop off when he gets born again. Others do not and that grieves him.

So why do so many Christians show no signs of being born again? Primarily because they are not born again. They are Christian in name only. Calling your cat "Rover" does not make him a dog. The second reason is that Christians have two sources of motivation. The Lord Jesus dwells in the new spirit. He is there to lead, guide, teach and correct. He is also there to be love, joy, peace, faith, self control and all the qualities that set Christians apart from the world (or should!).

Where it goes wrong is right up front when the gospel is preached. New Christians need to know what has happened. The need to know that they are new creations in Christ. They need to know that there is an opposing desire within which is the natural man of the soul. The natural man does not understand the things of God. If you are trying to work it out mentally, forget it. The Christian life is so simple that an uneducated simpleton can accept. The genius Doctor of Divinity applies all his intelligence then confuses himself into utter unbelief. That's why theological seminaries pump out unbelieving believers so often.

Adam got us into trouble by eating from the tree of knowledge. Christians have the same choice to make as Adam. Do we pursue the knowledge of good and evil, which is legalism, or do we choose the tree of life, which is liberty, love, joy, peace, power over sin and all of God's rich blessings in Christ. I've lived both ways. The way of knowledge is failure, defeat and frustration. The way of life is Victory! Choose life, my friend. Satan will try to put you off. Don't let him.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Please explain how the 2 theologies have different Christs. I've never heard that.
Thanks.

Don't think they can?
Or possibly should not even try?
M

Mark 9:38-41 New International Version (NIV)
38 “Teacher,” said John, “we saw someone driving out demons in your name and we told him to stop, because he was not one of us.”

39 “Do not stop him,” Jesus said. “For no one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me,40 for whoever is not against us is for us.41 Truly I tell you, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to the Messiah will certainly not lose their reward.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
FreeGrace2 said:
Thanks.
Don't think they can?
Or possibly should not even try?
M
I asked how Calvinists and Arminians have "different Christs", as another poster quipped. Your response doesn't answer my question.

Mark 9:38-41 New International Version (NIV)
38 “Teacher,” said John, “we saw someone driving out demons in your name and we told him to stop, because he was not one of us.”

39 “Do not stop him,” Jesus said. “For no one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me,40 for whoever is not against us is for us.41 Truly I tell you, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to the Messiah will certainly not lose their reward.
Is this an attempt to answer my question? I don't see an answer.

Upvote 0