exactly opposite of where I'd rather be
✟17,048.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am a classically trained pianist and am trying to get my degree in music, for the second time. My professors don't like me because I won't conform to the horrible noise they try to call music. It's awful and completely turns me off to wanting to be a musician. How can anyone live through this and call it art? being subjected through this torture, I have found it's more of a science than art. Are there anymore traditional classical musicians out there? I almost feel as if it has been lost.
Here is an example of what they are trying to conform me to:Experimental Music and Noise Event - YouTube

markb77

Nov 20, 2011
✟16,859.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The tone of your post makes me wonder if you are at a school where your particular talents will be appreciated. If you are unhappy with what you are being taught (and forced to study), you may want to consider finding a school that fits closer to your taste in music. Just a thought. Good luck. We need all the good music teachers we can get.

Upvote 0

FlameAlchemist

Mustang
Oct 21, 2013
Some beach, somewhere
✟7,854.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am a classically trained pianist and am trying to get my degree in music, for the second time. My professors don't like me because I won't conform to the horrible noise they try to call music. It's awful and completely turns me off to wanting to be a musician. How can anyone live through this and call it art? being subjected through this torture, I have found it's more of a science than art. Are there anymore traditional classical musicians out there? I almost feel as if it has been lost.
Here is an example of what they are trying to conform me to:Experimental Music and Noise Event - YouTube

Last year in school, I had a psychology class, and then the teacher had to teach something else, so I was placed in an electronic music class, in which we made music on computers. Now I won't lie I learned a lot from it, but I also learned that most pop music beats and rhythms can be made in an afternoon, while it took some composers years to write things, it's very sad honestly.

Upvote 0

Doctor Strangelove

Oct 5, 2012
United States
✟16,773.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Wow, that is bad. Well, there has for a long time been a movement to deconstruct and degrade art, including music. So some schools have been taken over by pseudo-intelectuals who cannot create anything meaningful themselves. I am not a musician but there are surely some music schools that teach real music and music theory, and not that noise they are forcing on you. You might have to find a different school. I hope someone can suggest a good music school.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Doctor Strangelove

Oct 5, 2012
United States
✟16,773.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Last year in school, I had a psychology class, and then the teacher had to teach something else, so I was placed in an electronic music class, in which we made music on computers. Now I won't lie I learned a lot from it, but I also learned that most pop music beats and rhythms can be made in an afternoon, while it took some composers years to write things, it's very sad honestly.

And then people grow up without being exposed to anything better so the only thing accessible to them is simplistic music that is pretty much the same chords repeated over and over. It is really a kind of deafness that people are being conditioned for.

Upvote 0

ayaanu86

Apr 12, 2013
✟371.00
Faith
Hindu
Marital Status
Married
Hey there,

I dont know how and from when to describe Music as new, there is always a new wave of Music in the world, Like jazz, pop, Classical and also than came sufi , more rusty and tribal songs. Iam listening to Internet Radio Station alot. As they give all kinda songs, Music, Instrumental all day long.........

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

Seeking a life that honors God.
Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟663,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That's not music. That's just ripping off Silent Hill noises! ;):D:doh:

Seriously, I think your school is trying to make you provide a soundtrack for their indie horror film/game. Which is definitely not something most people would want to do.

You really should consider changing classes or ditching that school. If they think that's music, then this is a certainly testament to how pathetic our culture is, that we think stuff with no effort put into that doesn't even remotely sound beautiful is good.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer video game music (and video game-esque music) to anything else (and I can't STAND modern hip-hop/rap stuff), but at least with that there's variety, a degree of effort, and a catchy beat. Hopefully. Classical music is beautiful in its own right when you remember how much it took to make such a masterpiece. If that's what you like, then make that. Don't kowtow to these noise-lovers.

Upvote 0

JohnMatthewNewman

Calvinist/Composer
Mar 15, 2015
Knoxville, TN
Visit site
✟7,638.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I had the privilege of getting my degree in music theory & composition at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. My focus was actually in electronic music ^_^ So, the above music is something I've not only studied, but at one point composed, as well. This sort of music was one of the last things I studied in college - definitely after post-tonal theory and after I'd taken two semesters of classical composition.

This experimental electronic music is something that is way more fun (usually) to compose & analyze than it is to actually listen to. Even with that being said, our composition professor encouraged us to go outside our box; however, he was conscientious enough to encourage us to pull from the music that influenced us, but also to develop it and shape it so that it was an enjoyable and engaging composition to listen to. This sometimes meant using extended techniques on acoustic instruments, and always creating new sounds whenever we were doing an electronic composition - but never did it involve distortion or clipping - that was highly frowned upon.

In short, there are many institutions that encourage what we traditionally recognize as composition - but I guarantee all will push you outside your level of comfort to a certain degree.

The video above wouldn't play for me; however, judging by your all's reactions, I'd imagine what they're doing might be classified as sound art... which is an art student's sad and futile take on music composition IMHO.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums