• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Can someone answer me this questions? its important for my health!

Kostilaks

Aug 24, 2018
Macedonia
✟72,424.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I will give you a similar example due to ocd. Lets say that an ocd guy makes a rushed promise to God in order to force himself not to redo an ocd ritual. The ocd ritual that needs redoing is to clean the door of a shop that sells bulbs. He has done the ritual and because his ocd may tell him to redo it, he promises to God that he will never bother/deal with it, ever again.

One day, he randomly and accidentally, sees on the internet, a photo of that shop that he promised that he will never bother/deal with, again. I would like to add that the guy was dizzy from his ocd. He was so dizzy that he could not control his thoughts. He said to God that he does not want to make promises and sometimes, due to anxiety, he cant control himself and he wants to make fake promises that do not count in order to fight his ocd and stop doing its ritual. Like using the promise (which does not count) as an excuse to his ocd for not doing its compulsion. The guy have told God that he may strongly, say/think/pray about a promise but he does not mean them. He just, says some words of the promise and acts as if he made a promise in order to fight his ocd.

That night, he just, said many times that he will never bother himself with it. But, he cant remember what he meant by it. Did he meant only, practically, that he will never ever visit that shop, for whatever reason? Did he meant that he will never redo the ocd ritual? He was not specific. He just, said to God that he will never bother himself with it.

1) Did he broke the promise just, because he looked at the photo for 1 second?(if in case it was the same shop)

2) Did he broke the promise just, because he tried to remember something about this whole issue? There is a chance that it was not the same shop and the ocd guy tried to remember some details of the shop in order to compare it with the one in the photo. He compared them, in his mind while worrying a lot about it. In order to compare it he tried to remember that night and the shop. Does that break the promise?

What he meant when he made the promise? He said that he will never bother himself with it again. But, they were just words. He was not specific. Did he meant that he will never redo the compulsion? did he meant he will never return to that shop, even to buy bulbs? Did he meant he will never worry or think about the compulsion? What is your opinion? Putting aside his ocd. If the promise counted (I hope not) did he break it?

Tell me your opinion. His ocd was telling him that he may need to redo the ocd ritual and he said/promised to God that he will do it once and never bother himself with it again. Does worrying about this issue, breaks the promise? I think, the guy meant that he will never redo or think about redoing the compulsion.

God is good

Oct 4, 2016
Michigan
✟201,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I will give you a similar example due to ocd. Lets say that an ocd guy makes a rushed promise to God in order to force himself not to redo an ocd ritual. The ocd ritual that needs redoing is to clean the door of a shop that sells bulbs. He has done the ritual and because his ocd may tell him to redo it, he promises to God that he will never bother/deal with it, ever again.

One day, he randomly and accidentally, sees on the internet, a photo of that shop that he promised that he will never bother/deal with, again. I would like to add that the guy was dizzy from his ocd. He was so dizzy that he could not control his thoughts. He said to God that he does not want to make promises and sometimes, due to anxiety, he cant control himself and he wants to make fake promises that do not count in order to fight his ocd and stop doing its ritual. Like using the promise (which does not count) as an excuse to his ocd for not doing its compulsion. The guy have told God that he may strongly, say/think/pray about a promise but he does not mean them. He just, says some words of the promise and acts as if he made a promise in order to fight his ocd.

That night, he just, said many times that he will never bother himself with it. But, he cant remember what he meant by it. Did he meant only, practically, that he will never ever visit that shop, for whatever reason? Did he meant that he will never redo the ocd ritual? He was not specific. He just, said to God that he will never bother himself with it.

1) Did he broke the promise just, because he looked at the photo for 1 second?(if in case it was the same shop)

2) Did he broke the promise just, because he tried to remember something about this whole issue? There is a chance that it was not the same shop and the ocd guy tried to remember some details of the shop in order to compare it with the one in the photo. He compared them, in his mind while worrying a lot about it. In order to compare it he tried to remember that night and the shop. Does that break the promise?

What he meant when he made the promise? He said that he will never bother himself with it again. But, they were just words. He was not specific. Did he meant that he will never redo the compulsion? did he meant he will never return to that shop, even to buy bulbs? Did he meant he will never worry or think about the compulsion? What is your opinion? Putting aside his ocd. If the promise counted (I hope not) did he break it?

Tell me your opinion. His ocd was telling him that he may need to redo the ocd ritual and he said/promised to God that he will do it once and never bother himself with it again. Does worrying about this issue, breaks the promise? I think, the guy meant that he will never redo or think about redoing the compulsion.
I have ocd too and I just want you to know that God can help you with it. Please stop worrying if you have broken a ocd promise, ocd promises are not real. God really loves you and Jesus is our Lord and Saviour. God bless you

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟402,421.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
We don't make promises to God, but God is the one who makes promises to us, and He has promised to forgive our sins in Christ. Likewise, we don't define what sin is, but God defines it in His Word.

This is to say, what you're talking about is not a sin, nor do we have the power to promise God anything, but God has promised to forgive our sins daily. God's mercy is new every day and His love endures forever.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟776,545.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Our relationship with God is not like a business transaction. We do not have to prove our eligibility by making all kinds of promises or agreements. We are not applying for a job, a mortgage or a loan where one single mistake could result in our rejection.
I don't think God is flattered at all by us making these kinds of promises.
He is more concerned about quelling our anxieties and fears.
He is the Lord who says to us "Come to me and I will give you rest".
He is the One who says to us "I have loved you with an everlasting love".
I am pretty sure that the prodigal son broke all kinds of promises, yet his father still embraced him and welcomed him home.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We need to give our attention to God in His peace. Do not promise to do this, but trust God who promises to do this with us . . . in sharing . . . not on your own :)

Upvote 0