• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Can some explain the book of Jonah to me please?

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Sink' started by nosolostsoul, Jun 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nosolostsoul

nosolostsoul New Member

+15
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    I get the part of Jonah running from his duty to God, but why did Jonah get mad and asked for death?

What was God's point/message regarding the Plant and the comparison to Nineveh?

What is the overall message of the story?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. yeshuaslavejeff

yeshuaslavejeff simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua

+10,477
    Anabaptist
    YHWH'S (GOD'S) Sovereignty and Mercy, and regarding the sign of Jonah as the sign which Yeshua pointed out in the Gospel - Jonah died and was in the belly of the great fish 3 days and 3 nights (72 hours) as was Yeshua in the grave.

3. Tolworth John

Tolworth John Well-Known Member

+2,415
    United Kingdom
    Non-Denom
    Married
    That Gd is far, far, far bigger than we think or imagine.
    He won't fit into any box we try to cram him into, that is why Jonah was so cross.
    God wouldn't fit into his little box.

4. vinsight4u

vinsight4u Contributor

+2,594
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Jonah is mentioned another place in the OT as giving a prophecy. In his own book, he knew that God has a habit of repenting when He calls forth evil on a nation/place or person. Jonah drowned and then was swallowed by the fish. He went into Nineveh as a revived man warning them. He tells us that he prayed from hell and God heard him. This is placed within another prayer after he was put back in his body inside of the fish. Jonah never says that he saw a fish approach him but instead seems to show how he drowned and then prayed from hell. Jonah had to have the men toss him overboard before, yet after this experience -he doesn't seem to be afraid to die. Nineveh saw a revived man that came as a prophet to them. The king and others humbled themselves to God and it seems that God repents of the evil because of this and the young children - those that can't tell their right hand from their left. and cattle /
    Jonah was in pity as to the gourd that perished and God Almighty had pity on the people and cattle/animals -not birds.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  5. Serving Zion

Serving Zion Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness

+880
    Christian
    Private
    Jonah was sent to pronounce destruction upon Ninevah at God's command, but what he told them did not come about because they genuinely repented and feared God when they learned that they had been in error, and God was pleased by that.

This had an impact on Jonah's reputation, because the ones who are skeptical of his calling would then use that for an example to discredit him. This is why he was angry with God.

God rightly showed him that he should not be angry because God's mercy toward Ninevah had saved many souls and cattle, and had only cost Jonah some pride and reputation. Plus, God showed Jonah that He would shelter him, by growing the vine over him. Then by sending the worm to eat the vine, he showed that Jonah was a prideful man, and that helped him to accept God's mercy toward Ninevah.

6. RDKirk

RDKirk Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner Supporter

+11,269
    Christian
    Married
    Point 1: God does not take pleasure in the death of the wicked (Ezekiel 18:23, Ezekiel 33:11).
    Point 2: God has a soft heart for repentance (Jonah 4:2)
    Point 3: God takes men's knowledge of Him into consideration in His judgment (Jonah 4:11, John 9:41)
    Point 4: God gives every man an opportunity for repentance (2 Peter 3:9)

Jonah proves that God is not a neutral judge, but is in fact biased toward salvation, giving men every opportunity and being unwilling to destroy the ignorant.

7. Kerensa

Kerensa Well-Known Member

+892
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    The way I read it, Jonah hated the people of Nineveh, who were Israel's enemies. He didn't want to go and preach the warning to them in the first place, which is implicitly why he fled in the opposite direction and had to go through that whole business of being thrown into the sea and swallowed by the fish. Then when he finally did obey God and he went to Nineveh and warned the people that they were about to be destroyed, and they all genuinely repented and God spared them — well, Jonah was appalled. He didn't think these people actually deserved the Lord's mercy! As we're told, he was angry enough to want to die.

That's where the little lesson of the plant comes in. God provides a plant to shade Jonah, then sends a worm to eat it and it dies away. Jonah now becomes angry that the plant has died. But as God points out to him, Jonah didn't do anything to make the plant grow, yet he feels sorry for it — so how much more should God care about the people of Nineveh? I think it shows that God's compassion ranges far wider than we imagine and we should never think anyone is unworthy of His love or incapable of turning and being saved.

8. yeshuaslavejeff

+10,477
    Anabaptist
    Please show where it is written in Scripture that God was pleased by that.

9. yeshuaslavejeff

+10,477
    Anabaptist
    Look what is written:
    Jonah 4 Complete Jewish Bible (CJB)
    4 But this was very displeasing to Yonah, and he became angry. 2 He prayed to Adonai, “Now, Adonai, didn’t I say this would happen, when I was still in my own country? That’s why I tried to get away to Tarshish ahead of time! I knew you were a God who is merciful and compassionate, slow to anger and rich in grace, and that you relent from inflicting punishment.

10. Kerensa

Kerensa Well-Known Member

+892
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    Yes, exactly. He knew that God is merciful and he didn't WANT the Ninevites to have that mercy. That's why he ran away from God in the first place instead of taking the warning to Nineveh — and why he was so angry when, on hearing his prophecy, the Ninevites repented and weren't destroyed after all. ;)

11. Serving Zion

+880
    Christian
    Private
    Ezekiel 33:11 should be enough.

12. yeshuaslavejeff

+10,477
    Anabaptist
    Not at all.
    Did you even read it???

13. vinsight4u

vinsight4u Contributor

+2,594
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Job 17:16

“They shall go down to the bars of the pit, when our rest together is in the dust.”

Jonah 2:6

“I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O LORD my God.”

King James Version (KJV)

14. Serving Zion

+880
    Christian
    Private
    No I didn't read the book of Jonah in order to respond. This is what I already know of it. I wonder also whether you even read Ezekiel 33:11.. otherwise why might you say that God was not pleased by Ninevah's repentance?

Please, I am very tired. It is now midnight and I am heading to bed. Would you kindly withhold until tomorrow, and then if you still need more from me, present your case and it will have my full attention.

15. yeshuaslavejeff

+10,477
    Anabaptist
    I have no "case" to present. Ezekial 33:11 says nothing that you said or claimed. Simple.

16. yeshuaslavejeff

+10,477
    Anabaptist
    Here is what is written in Jonah:
    10 When God saw by their deeds that they had turned from their evil way, he relented and did not bring on them the punishment he had threatened.

17. Aryeh Jay

Aryeh Jay Veteran Supporter

+8,647
    United States
    Married
    Jonah did not die in the fish.

“And the Lord caused a great fish to swallow up Jonah; and Jonah was alive within the fish for three days and three nights.”

18. yeshuaslavejeff

+10,477
    Anabaptist
    You got a bad translation.

19. Aryeh Jay

Aryeh Jay Veteran Supporter

+8,647
    United States
    Married
    I’m sorry; I have been unable to find the correct translation that has a dead Jonah praying to God from inside the fish, a dead Jonah being vomited back in dry land and a dead Jonah being told by God to go to Nineveh. I will just stick to the original Hebrew and not worry about the correct translation.

Better let these guys know that they are misleading people.
    The Story of Jonah and the Whale

20. Dave-W

Dave-W Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner! Supporter

+16,054
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    Does anyone wonder how a fish (ow whale or whatever) could get from the middle of the Mediterranean Sea all the way around Africa and swim up the Tigris River (no Suez canal then) to get to Nineveh in only 3 days time?

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.