Can Pastors tell others what to do if they are not obeying their own instruction?

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But Hebrews 13:17 says >

"Obey those who rule over you, and be submissive, for they watch out for your souls, as those who must give account; let them do so with joy and not with grief, for that would be unprofitable for you." (Hebrews 13:17)

So, to me it is clear we are required to be with pastors who are worthy of our obedience to them. So, it is not Biblical to stay with someone who is wrong.

1 Timothy 3:1-10 is clear who is qualified to "take care of the church of God". So, in case someone is claimed to be a pastor but the person is not taking care of God's people, we are obligated to be with a really qualified person taking care of us, and who is a good example so the person is trusted by God to guide us.

"nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock." (1 Peter 5:3)

So, there is not only the question about if we should obey a pastor. But, also, is the person feeding us the right example to follow??? We are not excused to stay with ones who do not feed us the right example. And God is able to guide us to the examples whom He trusts and therefore He expects us to obey them who have the rule over us . . . like Hebrews 13:17 says.

But there are people who are not obedient to God; and so they do not want to find a real pastor, because God will expect them to obey that person and follow that person's example. It is easier to stay with a wrong one so we have an excuse to not obey that person, and we are free to do what we want.

So, then, we need to be able to make sure with God about whom He knows He approves to take care of us.

I believe that the "perilous times have come" as per 2 Timothy 3:1-9 has come upon us today. We are living in those days now. Many have a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof. What power are they denying? That they can overcome grievous sins like lying, lusting, hating, etc. Most are not are teaching "instruction in righteousness" from God's Word, but they are teaching feel good messages or they just doing altar calls, etc. At least that was my experience of the many churches I have visited. There is no personal fellowship and true accountability these days. There are programs in churches to cater to your worldly needs. Many do not even know who you are when you have attended for months and sometimes even years.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are programs in churches to cater to your worldly needs. Many do not even know who you are when you have attended for months and sometimes even years.
God is able to guide us to the ones He trusts. His word is guaranteed to do what He means > Isaiah 55:11 > so, yes, He has pastors who are qualified to take care of us.

But, yes, there are ones who are not approved.

In my experience, I have lived outside for years, including walking from Boston to North Carolina, and in various places I discovered churches with people who got to know me and helped me to be more real in Jesus. Pastors and members were examples of how I needed to become, instead of mainly showing off how much I knew the Bible and being critical of the wrong ones. The right ones have been there for me to discover.

But I needed to get real so I could discover them. And once I started praying for God to make me real, then I needed their help to do this :) And still I need the real example leaders to help me.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God is able to guide us to the ones He trusts. His word is guaranteed to do what He means > Isaiah 55:11 > so, yes, He has pastors who are qualified to take care of us.

But, yes, there are ones who are not approved.

In my experience, I have lived outside for years, including walking from Boston to North Carolina, and in various places I discovered churches with people who got to know me and helped me to be more real in Jesus. Pastors and members were examples of how I needed to become, instead of mainly showing off how much I knew the Bible and being critical of the wrong ones. The right ones have been there for me to discover.

But I needed to get real so I could discover them. And once I started praying for God to make me real, then I needed their help to do this :) And still I need the real example leaders to help me.

There are secular worldly programs that can help people, too. Does not mean they believe in the correct way concerning Jesus. Most today believe in Sola Fide (or Faith Alone) or Belief Alone-ism or a Sin and Still Be Saved type belief. The only Trinitarian Sola Scriptura church that I discovered that believes "God's grace through Faith + Works of Faith = Salvation" is Christ's Sanctified Holy church (Who exist on the Eastern seaboard like North Carolina). The issue comes down to holiness. For without holiness, no man shall see the Lord (Hebrews 12:14). So to say that works of faith does not save in any way as part of our salvation means a person can sin and still be saved on some level. This is why I believe many (if not most) churches today in the US are not qualified to truly guide or shepherd like back in the days of the early church.

Jesus said narrow is the way, and few be there that find it.
2 Timothy 3:1-9 is saying there will be a time when perilous times will come and many will have a form of godliness and deny the power thereof. For folks to ignore this passage (or change it's plain meaning) is a slipper slope in my opinion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Because when Jesus talks about hypocrites, he talks about how they will not escape the damnation of hell.

"Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?" (Matthew 23:33).

Note: The word "hypocrites" is mentioned 7 times within this chapter, and the word "hypocrisy" is mentioned once.

Hypocrisy is a serious problem. I think in both instances (Jesus with the Pharisees and Paul talking to Jews in Romans 2), the problem that's being addressed is religious people who think of themselves as righteous based on their obedience to the law.

The Pharisees, if you'll remember the parable of the Pharisee and the tax collector, thought of himself as righteous. When he approached God, he said "God I thank you that I am not like other men..." He did not identify himself as a sinner like the tax collector. But according to Jesus, the tax collector is the one who got it right! "God, have mercy on me, a sinner" is a much better approach to God than coming to God with our own record of righteousness.

Likewise the Jews thought themselves as right with God because they knew the law and they were able to criticize the gentiles and how they lived. But they did not see that the same law that they approved of also condemned them. Sure they might have an external sort of behavior, what Paul calls "works of the law". But they were also condemned by the law because they had wicked hearts underneath all of their clean behavior.

So a hypocrite is one who condemns others as sinners but is unable to recognize themselves as a fellow sinner. A hypocrite is one who believes they are righteous because of the quality of their behavior, all the while blind to the sin that lurks deep in their hearts and their thoughts.

Jason, based on this definition of hypocrite and based on your posting record over the past several years, you are a hypocrite. You think of yourself as righteous based upon your own works and not upon the righteousness of Christ alone. You don't see yourself as a sinner. You judge and condemn others but you never judge yourself or condemn yourself. You are in need of repentance, brother.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hypocrisy is a serious problem. I think in both instances (Jesus with the Pharisees and Paul talking to Jews in Romans 2), the problem that's being addressed is religious people who think of themselves as righteous based on their obedience to the law.

The Pharisees, if you'll remember the parable of the Pharisee and the tax collector, thought of himself as righteous. When he approached God, he said "God I thank you that I am not like other men..." He did not identify himself as a sinner like the tax collector. But according to Jesus, the tax collector is the one who got it right! "God, have mercy on me, a sinner" is a much better approach to God than coming to God with our own record of righteousness.

Likewise the Jews thought themselves as right with God because they knew the law and they were able to criticize the gentiles and how they lived. But they did not see that the same law that they approved of also condemned them. Sure they might have an external sort of behavior, what Paul calls "works of the law". But they were also condemned by the law because they had wicked hearts underneath all of their clean behavior.

So a hypocrite is one who condemns others as sinners but is unable to recognize themselves as a fellow sinner. A hypocrite is one who believes they are righteous because of the quality of their behavior, all the while blind to the sin that lurks deep in their hearts and their thoughts.

Jason, based on this definition of hypocrite and based on your posting record over the past several years, you are a hypocrite. You think of yourself as righteous based upon your own works and not upon the righteousness of Christ alone. You don't see yourself as a sinner. You judge and condemn others but you never judge yourself or condemn yourself. You are in need of repentance, brother.

No. This is not true. The Pharisees did not have an external obedience while their inside was dark alone. Jesus says that the Pharisees ignored the weightier matters of the Law like love, faith, justice, and mercy (Matthew 23:23) (Luke 11:42). This is why Jesus condemned them as hypocrites. Their teachings did not line up with what they actually did.

The Parable of the Tax Collector is also not an example of a believer's daily walk with God. Jesus also said to two people to "sin no more" (John 5:14) (John 8:11). The Pharisees problem in the Parable of the Tax Collector and the Pharisee is that he did not initially submit Himself to God via His grace by seeking forgiveness with the Lord. He was focusing on "Law Alone" without God's grace.

God's grace reigns (rules) through righteousness (righteous living) (Romans 5:21).

God's grace teaches us to deny ungodliness and that we should live righteously and godly in this present world (Titus 2:11-12).

The purpose that Christ died for us was so as to sanctify and cleanse us with the washing of the water of the Word (Scripture) so that Christ might present to Himself a church that is holy and blameless (See Ephesians 5:25-27).

God's grace is not a license for immorality.

"For certain individuals whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord." (Jude 1:4) (NIV).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, it is true. Repent, brother.

First, telling somebody to repent on the forums is an attack upon another Christian and it can be considered as goading.

Second, you did not attempt to answer what I said with Scripture. Please address the content of my post and not me please.

Three, people have different views on repentance. Some think that it means to believe on Jesus. I already believe on Jesus as my Savior. Some believe that repentance means a change of mind about sin but they are fuzzy on clarifying that statement sometimes. Others think repentance is forsaking sin. So I have no idea what you mean by repentance because so many today have different definitions for it that are not biblical. Here is...

My Biblical Case For Repentance:

At the heart, I believe the Bible teaches that repentance means, "Asking God for forgiveness" (Which of course naturally then leads to the "fruits of repentance", i.e. obedience to the Lord):

Important Note: While I may believe "Repentance" does involve to a certain degree a "change of mind" (like a person changing their mind about their old life of sin), I do not think "Repentance" exclusively means a “change of mind.”

Anyways, here are my ten points using Scripture showing that "repentance" means "asking God for forgiveness of sin."

#1. Acts 2:38,
The New Living Translation says in Acts 2:38 to "repent of your sins."
Douay Reheims says in Acts 2:38 to "Do penance."
New Life Version says in Acts 2:38 to "Be sorry for your sins"

#2. Luke 17:3 says, "Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him." This doesn't make any sense if "repent" means believe in Jesus (as some teach) or to have a change of mind about sin (as others teach) or to exclusively forsake sin. Yes, we are to forsake sin as a part of repentance but that comes later after repentance (Which is to ask God for forgiveness of our sin). For how can we reconcile with a brother if we do not say we are sorry vs. just going on about life as if we did nothing wrong?

#3. Jesus said in Matthew 12:41 that the Ninevites will rise up in Judgment against this generation because they repented at the preaching of Jonah. If you were to turn to Jonah chapter 3, you would be able to see in Jonah 3:6-10 that the King of the Ninevites had told his people to:

(a) Cry out to God (i.e. Repentance) (See Jonah 3:8).
(b) Turn from their sins or evil ways (i.e. The Natural Fruits of Repentance).​

#4. Matthew 3:6 (which then lines up with Matthew 3:8). Also, in Mark 1:4-5, it says John preached the "baptism of repentance" for the remission of sins (verse 4), and it then defines this "baptism of repentance" by saying they confessed their sins when they were baptized (verse 5).

#5. We see in Acts of the Apostles 8:22 a clear example of Peter telling Simon to "repent" of his wickedness in trying to pay for the Holy Spirit. Peter is telling Simon to make a prayer towards God. For Peter says that he should pray that God might forgive him. In other words, Peter is telling Simon to repent of a one time event of wickedness by way of prayer to GOD. This only makes sense if "repent" means to "ask for forgiveness."

#6. Ezekiel 14:6 says,
"Repent, and turn yourselves from your idols;" Repent makes the most sense here if a person is asking God for forgiveness by way of prayer instead of a person just believing in God. Naturally a person believes in God as their Savior if they are planning on forsaking their idols.

#7. We see repentance is the topic of discussion in Luke 15 (Luke 15:6) (Luke 15:10); This is then followed up by the "Parable of the Prodigal Son" with the son desiring to be reconciled with his father. We learn the WAY the Prodigal Son desired to be reconciled with his father when he said,

"I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee, And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants." (Luke 15:18-19).

In other words, the Prodigal Son was seeking forgiveness. This ties into the point of repentance in Luke 15:6 and Luke 15:10.

#8. Luke 10:13 says,
"Woe unto thee, Chorazin! woe unto thee, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works had been done in Tyre and Sidon, which have been done in you, they had a great while ago repented, sitting in sackcloth and ashes." This rules out the theory that repentance is exclusively forsaking sin. Granted, forsaking sin always follow true repentance (Asking God for forgiveness of one's sins) but forsaking sin is not repentance. The word "repented" here is describing a one time event because they "repented", sitting in sackcloth and ashes. In Jonah 3:6 we learn that the King of Nineveh sat in sackcloth and ashes. In Jonah 3:8, the King of Nineveh tells people to put on sackcloth, and cry mightily unto God (i.e. repentance): and then turn from their evil way (i.e. the fruits of repentance).

#9. John the Baptist says we are to bring forth fruits worthy of repentance (Luke 3:8). Fruits are deeds (or obedience to God). How can repentance be the same thing as the fruit? Is the fruit the same thing as the tree?

#10. Jeremiah 8:6 says, "I hearkened and heard, but they spake not aright: no man repented him of his wickedness, saying, What have I done? every one turned to his course, as the horse rusheth into the battle." Here we see the word "repented of wickedness" tied with the words, "What have I done?" This is an acknowledgement of one's sin to God as a part of asking His forgiveness.

Notable Additional Verses that Deal with Repentance
(But They Do Not Use The Word "Repent" or "Repentance"):

"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." (Romans 10:13).

13 "And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted. (Luke 18:13-14).

Proverbs 28:13 says whosoever confesses and forsakes sin shall have mercy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,433.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But Hebrews 13:17 says >

"Obey those who rule over you, and be submissive, for they watch out for your souls, as those who must give account; let them do so with joy and not with grief, for that would be unprofitable for you." (Hebrews 13:17)

So, to me it is clear we are required to be with pastors who are worthy of our obedience to them. So, it is not Biblical to stay with someone who is wrong.

No, that's not what it says.

It says I must be obedient to the leadership that is in place.

They are not accountable to me.

The steward is not accountable to his stewardship, he is accountable to his master.

Jesus will hold them accountable for their stewardship;

Jesus will hold me accountable for my obedience.

All through the New Testament it's said over and over again that the quality of the leader and the quality of obedience are two separate things, and that obedience is not dependent on having a good master.

Is any servant ever told to flee a "froward" master? No, just the opposite. For sure, don't become the servant of a "froward" master of your own accord, but if that's where you are, then serve faithfully where you are. Jesus may deliver you to a better place...or He may not.

But serve faithfully where you are, as though Jesus Himself was your master in that place.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
At the heart, I believe the Bible teaches that repentance means, "Asking God for forgiveness"
An unfortunate evangelical misconception.
It means to turn around. The Hebrew OT word t'shuva means to stop and go back the way you came. the Greek NT word metanoia means to change your way of thinking.

So true biblical repentance is both a change in thinking and in behavior.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can Pastors tell others what to do if they are not obeying their own instruction?
This passage speaks to that very issue:

Matt 22:2 saying: “The scribes and the Pharisees have seated themselves in the chair of Moses; 3 therefore all that they tell you, do and observe, but do not do according to their deeds; for they say things and do not do them.​

So yes - do what they say; but do not imitate their own disobedience.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟718,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

James 3

1Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly. 2We all stumble in many ways. If anyone is never at fault in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to control his whole body.

Romans 2:21
You then who teach others, do you not teach yourself? While you preach against stealing, do you steal?

Titus 2:7
Show yourself in all respects to be a model of good works, and in your teaching show integrity, dignity,

If they mess up here and there then grace and forgiveness should be given. If it's a continuous practice in their life then they should, take a leave of absense, step down or be asked to leave at the request of the administration/congregation.

Upvote 0

PaulCyp1

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2018
Massachusetts
✟239,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Pastors shouldn't tell others "what to do" at all. They should tell others what Jesus Christ has instructed us to do, and how He has told us to live. And those facts are true regardless of the extent to which the pastor follows them. Obviously no pastor follows them perfectly, because pastors are human, and all humans are sinners.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,104.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
A moment ago you were singing a different tune.
You said, I quote:

"a pastor is just an ordinary sinner like all the rest of us." ~ Oscarr.​

You also said, I quote:

"In ourselves, none of us are qualified to give instruction to anyone, because we all come short of perfection." ~ Oscarr.​

The Bible says otherwise,

1 "This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,
7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
8 Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.
9 But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as theirs also was." (2 Timothy 3:1-9).

"Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it." (Matthew 7:14).

A moment ago you were singing a different tune.
You said, I quote:

"a pastor is just an ordinary sinner like all the rest of us." ~ Oscarr.​

You also said, I quote:

"In ourselves, none of us are qualified to give instruction to anyone, because we all come short of perfection." ~ Oscarr.​

The Bible says otherwise,

1 "This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,
7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
8 Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.
9 But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as theirs also was." (2 Timothy 3:1-9).

"Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it." (Matthew 7:14).
American pastors must be of a different calibre to those down here in New Zealand. Most pastors I have meet have been godly committed men and women who are in the ministry because they feel called of God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,104.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
God's people are destroyed for lack of knowledge (Hosea 4:6).

Yes. Because God's people are not servants of corruption. The Bible says this,

"And we know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness."
(1 John 5:19).
I like being associated with the Presbyterian Church of NZ because churches are ruled by the elders and not just the minister. In my church is is the elders who moderate the minister, and if the minister started preaching stuff that did not comply with the Bible, the elders would correct him. This is because the minister is one member of a leadership team.

Problems arise in churches where the pastor is the "dictator" who exercises his own authority on the people and there are none of equal status to correct him when he goes wrong.

Upvote 0

Foxfyre

Site Supporter
May 1, 2017
New Mexico
✟233,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Yes they can tell others pretty much anything just like anybody else can. Being a sinner or being foolish in our own behavior does not change the fact that the advice we give others is sound advice.

A doctor who doesn't follow his/her own good medical advice, can nevertheless give that good advice to another.

The world's most careless, inept cook can nevertheless provide you with a great recipe.

The people who have foolishly wrecked their credit, or destroyed their marriage via adultery, or who have been chemically dependent and/or co-dependent are in a better position to understand the dynamics and counsel others in such positions.

Giving others good counsel is not contingent on us following that counsel ourselves. But judging and condemning others, most especially when we ourselves are sinners, is a pretty big no no in Jesus's rules of ethics. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,964.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I hope not.
Maybe a Pastor has certain ideas for the church and whether or not they get adopted depends on congregational support - yes, I can see that. But I would hope that no pastor changes who they are, or how they carry out their ministry, because other people want them to be different.
If a Pastor has faults and needs to change, the Holy Spirit can convict them but they will change only because they want to/have been convicted that they need to - same with any of us.
I'd recommend to do some primary research, take notes on what manner of person they are when they become pastor, and who they are years later, then ask them about the changes.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I agree 100%.

Even Jesus says a similar thing.
For it is written,

25 "But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them.
26 But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister;" (Matthew 20:25-26).

My point here is that if believers cannot be hypocrites and Jesus condemned hypocrisy, then a belief that says we can sin and still be saved (on some level) by having a belief alone on Jesus cannot work. For if one is not upholding a standard of morality or God's goodness within His Word, they can never judge others ever because they would be condemning themselves for things that they are not doing.

A Christian isn't a hypocrite and a hypocrite isn't a Christian. A person is saved by grace through faith. Works are the result of salvation not the means of obtaining it.

Upvote 0