✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Matthew‬ ‭18:21-35‬ ‭ESV‬‬

“Then Peter came up and said to him, "Lord, how often will my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times?" Jesus said to him, "I do not say to you seven times, but seventy-seven times. "Therefore the kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who wished to settle accounts with his servants. When he began to settle, one was brought to him who owed him ten thousand talents. And since he could not pay, his master ordered him to be sold, with his wife and children and all that he had, and payment to be made. So the servant fell on his knees, imploring him, 'Have patience with me, and I will pay you everything.' And out of pity for him, the master of that servant released him and forgave him the debt. But when that same servant went out, he found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred denarii, and seizing him, he began to choke him, saying, 'Pay what you owe.' So his fellow servant fell down and pleaded with him, 'Have patience with me, and I will pay you.' He refused and went and put him in prison until he should pay the debt. When his fellow servants saw what had taken place, they were greatly distressed, and they went and reported to their master all that had taken place. Then his master summoned him and said to him, 'You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you pleaded with me. And should not you have had mercy on your fellow servant, as I had mercy on you?' And in anger his master delivered him to the jailers, until he should pay all his debt. So also my heavenly Father will do to every one of you, if you do not forgive your brother from your heart."”

Thoughts?

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

“Then Peter came up and said to him, "Lord, how often will my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times?" Jesus said to him, "I do not say to you seven times, but seventy-seven times. "Therefore the kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who wished to settle accounts with his servants. When he began to settle, one was brought to him who owed him ten thousand talents. And since he could not pay, his master ordered him to be sold, with his wife and children and all that he had, and payment to be made. So the servant fell on his knees, imploring him, 'Have patience with me, and I will pay you everything.' And out of pity for him, the master of that servant released him and forgave him the debt. But when that same servant went out, he found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred denarii, and seizing him, he began to choke him, saying, 'Pay what you owe.' So his fellow servant fell down and pleaded with him, 'Have patience with me, and I will pay you.' He refused and went and put him in prison until he should pay the debt. When his fellow servants saw what had taken place, they were greatly distressed, and they went and reported to their master all that had taken place. Then his master summoned him and said to him, 'You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you pleaded with me. And should not you have had mercy on your fellow servant, as I had mercy on you?' And in anger his master delivered him to the jailers, until he should pay all his debt. So also my heavenly Father will do to every one of you, if you do not forgive your brother from your heart."”

Thoughts?

It's a good question, and it makes my knees weak just thinking about the possibility. Are gifts revocable? In human interactions, there are circumstances in which they can be. . .

Upvote 0

the old scribe

old scribe
Site Supporter
May 13, 2017
Arlington, TX
✟89,899.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Thoughts?
---------------------------------------------

Can our debt be re-instated?
DeerGlow,
Your question provides an excellent opportunity to understand the interpretation of parables. Parables have lent themselves to proof texting of unintended ideas about the spiritual world. Parables teach only one main point - not two or more. The details of the story (parable) are not intended to represent a spiritual reality. In the case of the Matthew 18:21-35 parable the only point being made is about forgiving.

The point from the biblical perspective:
Those forgiven in Christ will have the fruit of the Holy Ghost which is manifested in forgiving.
Those not in Christ are not forgiven and are not apt to forgive others, and therefore, will not be forgiven.

Can our debt be re-instated as was with the man in the parable?
For me the answer is no because the Bible is clear that Christ has paid the debt for every sin for all people. It is the rejection of divine forgiveness through Christ for which we are condemned.

John 3:18-21 ESV
Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God. 19 And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil. 20 For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed. 21 But whoever does what is true comes to the light, so that it may be clearly seen that his works have been carried out in God.”

I hope my answer illustrates why the parable cannot be about the reinstating of debt or guilt.

Can our debt be re-instated as was with the man in the parable?
For those who have reformed theology the answer is his debt was never forgiven.
Only the predestined are forgiven, and only the predestined believe.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Tolworth John
Upvote 0