Jan 18, 2005
✟3,971.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This subject sort of just popped into my head. Everyone has a lifeview, political ideology, social habit, etc. that they like to follow. And of course, you'll find people that are very much like you and then others that are very different from you.

Now usually a person acts in the manner they think is the best, so I think most people that lead their lives a certain way believe their lifeview and ideology to be superior to others (this is a big assumption now). Do it you it's possible for you to view your lifeview as equal to others, or is it always superior to others?

As an example, a Christian can view and respect non-Christians, but they may believe that their belief in Jesus is the only way to think, thus they are superior to their compatriots. Likewise, you could have an atheist that respects those who follow religions, but consider nonbelief to be the sanest and most intelligent lifeview. This example would also work with different denominations of Christianity.

MuAndNu

Practical Atheist
Mar 29, 2004
✟2,347.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Republican
Ninja Turtles said:
This subject sort of just popped into my head. Everyone has a lifeview, political ideology, social habit, etc. that they like to follow. And of course, you'll find people that are very much like you and then others that are very different from you.

Now usually a person acts in the manner they think is the best, so I think most people that lead their lives a certain way believe their lifeview and ideology to be superior to others (this is a big assumption now). Do it you it's possible for you to view your lifeview as equal to others, or is it always superior to others?

As an example, a Christian can view and respect non-Christians, but they may believe that their belief in Jesus is the only way to think, thus they are superior to their compatriots. Likewise, you could have an atheist that respects those who follow religions, but consider nonbelief to be the sanest and most intelligent lifeview. This example would also work with different denominations of Christianity.

I take it for granted that most people see things that way. Nobody deliberately chooses a worldview he sees as inferior. Even if its results are manifestly bad, he will rationalize those or their causes away.

Upvote 0

HouseApe

Senior Veteran
Sep 30, 2004
Florida
✟3,485.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Danhalen said:
I believe that I am only superior to everyone else at being me.

Absolutely correct. Everyone adopts beliefs that they feel best meet their desires. And everyone's desires are different. So the beliefs they hold are superior than all others for them.

Upvote 0

Blackmarch

Legend
Oct 23, 2004
Utah, USA
✟32,616.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Ninja Turtles said:

Depends on what is considered superior.

Upvote 0

Gerry Hunter

May 1, 2005
Burnaby BC Canada
Visit site
✟15,609.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Ninja Turtles said:

If a Christian indeed thinks himself "superior to [his] compatriots," he has no basis for doing so within the confines of Christian belief.

Faith in Christ is a gift, not something a Christian has somehow built with his own hands. The Christian did nothing to deserve the gift, so has no basis to consider himself superior.

Equally, though, he must have the fortitude to dismiss as nonsense any claim made against him that the assertion of the truth that Jesus Christ is the way, the truth, and the life is a claim to personal superiority on the part of the one asserting that truth. And he should have the prudence and humility to pray for the grace that will enable him to behave in a manner that does not contradict the truth that faith in Jesus Christ does not equate to individual superiority.

Claiming personal superiority because one has received the gift of faith in Jesus Christ is as silly as claiming personal superiority based on the colour of eyes one is born with.

Blessings,

Gerry

Upvote 0

Green Man

Feb 4, 2005
Greensboro,NC
✟1,398.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ninja Turtles said:

That's one thing that can't be avoided. We all go to that which we think is superior.It's being human.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Seeking...

A strange kettle of fish ...
May 20, 2004
Southern California
✟9,064.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Others
Ninja Turtles said:

Of course it is possible to see other worldviews as equivalent to your own, but it is neccesary to see your worldview as superior to some. If your morals and values are really important to you - some worldviews will not simply be different, but abhorent. I believe my worldview to be superior to that shared by the framers of the Third Reich or the Boers who started apartheid. I consider it to be superior to those who view female sexuality and independence as being the downfall of society and seek to temper it with FGM. Basically, I consider my worldview to be superior to that of anyone who seeks to secure their own place in life by abusing, controlling and/or destroying others.

Upvote 0

Phred

Junior Mint
Aug 12, 2003
✟22,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Ninja Turtles said:
Do it you it's possible for you to view your lifeview as equal to others, or is it always superior to others?
I believe my view is the best way for me to live. I don't need to believe it's condoned by a deity to think so. It's mine, if you share it then it must be good for you too. If you don't, I hope you find a view that works for you. I simply wish people would stop kidding themselves that a deity someplace is telling them what their views should be. They make those decisions and must be responsible for them. Agreement with a deity is moot.

Upvote 0