Can my mother find a man if she was divorced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ovis90

Jun 7, 2015
Vilnius
✟20,552.00
Country
Lithuania
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I have a question can my mother find a man if she was married, but she have divorced because my father used to drink and was threatening her. Now they are divorced for 20 years and she was in another relationship with another man she was married but not in church and he passed away. Now she is alone can she find another man that it wouldn't be a sin ?

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have a question can my mother find a man if she was married, but she have divorced because my father used to drink and was threatening her. Now they are divorced for 20 years and she was in another relationship with another man she was married but not in church and he passed away. Now she is alone can she find another man that it wouldn't be a sin ?

I've been married before too. This might help you.
What does the Bible say about divorce and remarriage? | GotQuestions.org

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Divorce was permitted in the Old Covenant. But It has no provision in the New Covenant. All remarriage after divorce is adultery until the former spouse dies.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  • Agree
Reactions: Palmfever
Upvote 0

Arc F1

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can you show any NT passage that provides for divorce or remarriage? It happens in pagan circles but God did not provide for it.

Matthew 19:9
9And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 19:9
9And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.
That was Jesus commenting on the Old Testament. It was replaced by the New Covenant that does not make that provision.

• Informative
Reactions: Arc F1
Upvote 0

Arc F1

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That was Jesus commenting on the Old Testament. It was replaced by the New Covenant that does not make that provision.
When he says "I say unto you" I see that as an explanation for the question that was asked. He said it was allowed before because of the hardness of hearts and then goes on to answer what was asked. That's how I read it anyway. I will give it some more thought. Thank you.

• Agree
Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

So God is not immutable?
Immutable means not changing.

I'm sorry if this comes off as abrupt but I've never heard someone advocating that God does change His mind about things. (Omniscience isn't something God owns either would be a side effect of this as well)

So you can imagine my surprise in this statement of yours. Because divorce centers largely around morality issues.
And generally speaking people say that the Moral Laws of the Old Testament still hold true today where the ceremonial laws were completed.

I'm just trying to understand your thinking about this.

Reactions: Arc F1
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So God is not immutable?
Immutable means not changing.

I'm sorry if this comes off as abrupt but I've never heard someone advocating that God does change His mind about things. (Omniscience isn't something God owns either would be a side effect of this as well)

So you can imagine my surprise in this statement of yours. Because divorce centers largely around morality issues.
And generally speaking people say that the Moral Laws of the Old Testament still hold true today where the ceremonial laws were completed.

I'm just trying to understand your thinking about this.
God is perfect. Any change would be to imperfection.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When he says "I say unto you" I see that as an explanation for the question that was asked. He said it was allowed before because of the hardness of hearts and then goes on to answer what was asked. That's how I read it anyway. I will give it some more thought. Thank you.
Forgiveness replaces unforgiveness under the NT. Divorce is not an option for believers. But pagans divorce believers in the NT.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,012,481.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Marriage / divorce. A very complex thing indeed. Its not a simple thing to decide on.

I know what the Bible says. I know what one is obliged to do. But reality is not that straight forward.

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God predestined all. His plan is perfect and cannot be changed.
Apparently you are not understanding my question.

How can God change his mind about what constitutes morality when changing covenants?
Divorce is largely a result that centers around morality in how people treat each other.

So I was wanting an explanation on your views on this.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

The one she was married to and who passed away ... she is released from ....

Regarding the first, of whom is still living .... it would seem this applies ... or be applied ... also ... has he had relation(s) with other women since the separation/divorce?

But to the rest I say, not the Lord, that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he must not divorce her. And a woman who has an unbelieving husband, and he consents to live with her, she must not send her husband away (1 Cor 7:12-13).

when one is in an unbelieving state .... reconciliation is always to be sought ... for how long?

Once must be convinced in their own mind.

an exception

Yet if the unbelieving one leaves, let him leave; the brother or the sister is not under bondage in such cases, but God has called us to peace. (v 15).

Living a life of being subject to alcohol and violence/abuse (verbal and/or physical) issues is not living in peace.

A believer is one who is devoted to and walking in the teachings of Christ. Mess ups here and there are forgivable .... continuing in a known sin ... they are not in a believing state.

May the Lord lead your mother always. Amen

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Apparently you are not understanding my question.

How can God change his mind about what constitutes morality when changing covenants?
Divorce is largely a result that centers around morality in how people treat each other.

So I was wanting an explanation on your views on this.
The Pharisees were not saved. Their behavior demands fit that. Believers are saved, Their ethics fit that.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
my father used to drink and was threatening her. Now they are divorced for 20 years and she was in another relationship with another man she was married but not in church and he passed away.
Unfortunately there will be no end to debate and difference of opinion on this, as any search of this site will show. So let me state my understanding once and then bow out, because I will not get involved in endless debate.

When Jesus said the marriage covenant is permanent, implicit in that is that the covenant is maintained. If one party violates it it loses its binding power. Adultery, abuse, abandonment, invalid marriage due to fraud - these all qualify as covenant breakers.

I would say let the past be the past, and that she should clear her conscience before the Lord regarding anything she did to contribute to past situations, and then she should live her life going forward as free in Christ, including the freedom to remarry if an opportunity should arise that is pleasing to the Lord.

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Pharisees were not saved. Their behavior demands fit that. Believers are saved, Their ethics fit that.
I guess you are not going to answer my question... I've asked twice now and you have dodged it every time.
The only thing I can thereby surmise is that your beliefs aren't congruent.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I guess you are not going to answer my question... I've asked twice now and you have dodged it every time.
The only thing I can thereby surmise is that your beliefs aren't congruent.
What answer would you like to hear?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.