Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Daniel 12:1 And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book.

Michael is the protector, the one who stands “for the children of thy people” Gods people.

Daniel 12:1 says at that time thy people shall be delivered, who is he talking about? The answer is in that verse, “every one that shall be found written in the book”. That is the church, Gods people, not unbelieving Jews. How will they be delivered? The answer is in verse 2

Daniel 12:2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

The only deliverance specifically mentioned here is the resurrection. The timing of this resurrection is mentioned directly after the” Time of trouble”, which lines up perfectly with the words of Jesus and Paul.

Revelation 12:7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

8 And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.

If Michael can “restrain” the dragon from entering heaven again why is it many believe he cannot restrain the dragon from being revealed as the man of sin. The casting of the dragon to earth may actually be tied to the revealing as the man of sin. The timing definitely fits.

9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

Michael has the God given power and authority to overcome the dragon (satan) and cast him out of heaven with his angels. Michael is the only entity in scripture even tied to handling satan or other fallen angels in this manner. Of course, Jesus has all power and all He had to do is say "get thee behind me" and satan obeyed. It is clear from this passage in Revelation that Michael was assigned with the task of removing satan and his angels from heaven so IMHO is very possible and extremely likely Michael is the one who “withholdeth”. For those that try to state unequivocally this is impossible, do you have any scriptural argument or proof that it cannot be so or is your proof your long held belief to the contrary which cannot be substantiated by scripture? Please I am open to any real scriptural argument but simply stating Jesus has all power does not work here. Declaring it is the church that is taken out of the way is a false argument not backed by any scripture in this case, it is merely a convenient answer with no basis in fact. I will submit to you that Rev 12 is tied to 2 Thess 2.

10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.

11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

12 Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.

After satan is cast down by Michael, that is when he begins his “great wrath”, final 3 ½ year (short time) stand through the person of the man of sin, and persecution of the saints Revelation 13:7. That is how the casting out of satan is tied to the revealing of the man of sin in 2 Thessalonians 2:7-8.

Much has been written on these forums, even whole threads dedicated to try to redefine what 2 Thessalonians tells us about the timing of our gathering. The text still says verses 1 &2 will not happen until after the “falling away” (apostasy) and “the man of sin” is revealed.

Much creative interpretation has been put forth to change the clear straight forward wording of the passage because it destroys the pretrib doctrine.

Simply put our gathering cannot be the restraining force taken out of the way to reveal the man of sin because our gathering cannot and will not according to the text happen until after the “falling away” and “the man of sin” is revealed.

Michael can be, and most likely is that force for the reasons already pointed out.

Daniel 10:13 But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me one and twenty days: but, lo, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me; and I remained there with the kings of Persia.

14 Now I am come to make thee understand what shall befall thy people in the latter days: for yet the vision is for many days.

15 And when he had spoken such words unto me, I set my face toward the ground, and I became dumb.

16 And, behold, one like the similitude of the sons of men touched my lips: then I opened my mouth, and spake, and said unto him that stood before me, O my lord, by the vision my sorrows are turned upon me, and I have retained no strength.

17 For how can the servant of this my lord talk with this my lord? for as for me, straightway there remained no strength in me, neither is there breath left in me.

18 Then there came again and touched me one like the appearance of a man, and he strengthened me,

19 And said, O man greatly beloved, fear not: peace be unto thee, be strong, yea, be strong. And when he had spoken unto me, I was strengthened, and said, Let my lord speak; for thou hast strengthened me.

20 Then said he, Knowest thou wherefore I come unto thee? and now will I return to fight with the prince of Persia: and when I am gone forth, lo, the prince of Grecia shall come.

21 But I will shew thee that which is noted in the scripture of truth: and there is none that holdeth with me in these things, but Michael your prince.

Michael is involved in Daniel 10 and Revelation 12 in the very kind of warfare described in 2 Thessalonians. That makes him a leading candidate to be the restrainer in 2 Thessalonians. If you disagree show the evidence for your theory from scripture.

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟108,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Michael is a symbolic name for the spirit of God that will destroy the false prophet and the beast on the day of the Lord which is soon to come.

2 Peter 3
10: But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then the heavens will pass away with a loud noise, and the elements will be dissolved with fire, and the earth and the works that are upon it will be burned up.
11: Since all these things are thus to be dissolved, what sort of persons ought you to be in lives of holiness and godliness,
12: waiting for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be kindled and dissolved, and the elements will melt with fire!
13: But according to his promise we wait for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells.
So you do not believe there is a literal archangel named Michael to God’s biding?

Jude 1:9 Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.

Revelation 12:7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

Daniel 10:13 But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me one and twenty days: but, lo, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me; and I remained there with the kings of Persia.

Daniel 10:21 But I will shew thee that which is noted in the scripture of truth: and there is none that holdeth with me in these things, but Michael your prince.

Daniel 12:1 And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book.

What part does 2 Peter 3 have to play in this?

Without more to go on I’ll just have to disagree with your theory on this one.

Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟108,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Those who are waiting for a visible man named Michael will miss the Spirit of God.
I don’t know of anyone who is waiting for the archangel Michael, we are or should be waiting for Jesus. Michael just works for God so to speak.

You still did not answer either of my questions.

Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟108,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So you do not believe there is a literal archangel named Michael to God’s biding?

NO. Michael is a symbolic name that means the same exact thing as the spirit of God.

The spirit of God will destroy all flesh ( the proud of the earth ) on the day of the Lord that cannot keep themselves alive without the breath of Life.

Psalm 22:
25: From thee comes my praise in the great congregation; my vows I will pay before those who fear him.
26: The afflicted shall eat and be satisfied; those who seek him shall praise the LORD! May your hearts live for ever!
27: All the ends of the earth shall remember and turn to the LORD; and all the families of the nations shall worship before him.
28: For dominion belongs to the LORD, and he rules over the nations.
29: Yea, to him shall all the proud of the earth bow down; before him shall bow all who go down to the dust, and he who cannot keep himself alive.
30: Posterity shall serve him; men shall tell of the Lord to the coming generation,
31: and proclaim his deliverance to a people yet unborn, that he has wrought it.
2Kings said:

NO. Michael is a symbolic name that means the same exact thing as the spirit of God.

On what do you based this statement?

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Jude 1:9 Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.

Daniel 10:21 But I will shew thee that which is noted in the scripture of truth: and there is none that holdeth with me in these things, but Michael your prince.

Without more to go on I’ll just have to disagree with your theory on this one.

Are you saying Michael is his name in the heavenly language, or an English translation of his heavenly name?

Upvote 0

Straightshot

Feb 13, 2015
✟16,234.00
Faith
Christian
Michael the archangel is real and an individual who will war against Satan and his fallen angles resulting in the casting of the same to the earth during the coming tribulation [Revelation 12]

But he is not the restrainer against Satan's lawless one .... it is the Lord's holy spirit that will stand aside and allow for Satan's revealing [2 Thessalonians 2:3-12]

• Winner
Reactions: MWood
Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Michael the archangel is real and an individual who will war against Satan and his fallen angles resulting in the casting of the same to the earth during the coming tribulation [Revelation 12]

But he is not the restrainer against Satan's lawless one .... it is the Lord's holy spirit that will stand aside and allow for Satan's revealing [2 Thessalonians 2:3-12]

Is the name Michael in English borrowed from the heavenly language?

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist

It is plain and clear and simple
with the limitations of Michael
that YHWH, Y'SHUA, and RUACH HAKODESH have not ,
that Michael
is [mighty, but limited] arch-angel as YHWH'S WORD SAYS.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What is the "heavenly language"?

Your Bible tells you who Michael the archangel is .... no doubr

Anyone who attempts to play with interpretive language jargon on this matter is more than likely teaching false hoods

A speaker at my church who died and went to Heaven for a brief amount of time and was brought back, mentioned it.

Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟108,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would be highly suspect of your speaker's story

No man has gone to heaven except the One who has come down from heaven .... yet [John 3:13]

The context of John 3:13 is obviously something other than what you have portrayed here.

2 Corinthians 5:8
We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

2 Corinthians 12:2 I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such an one caught up to the third heaven.

Revelation 4:1 After this I looked, and, behold, a door was opened in heaven: and the first voice which I heard was as it were of a trumpet talking with me; which said, Come up hither, and I will shew thee things which must be hereafter.

2 And immediately I was in the spirit: and, behold, a throne was set in heaven, and one sat on the throne.

Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟108,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It is plain and clear and simple
with the limitations of Michael
that YHWH, Y'SHUA, and RUACH HAKODESH have not ,
that Michael
is [mighty, but limited] arch-angel as YHWH'S WORD SAYS.

What are the limitations of Michael that would preclude him from being the restrainer?

How are the actions by Michael carried out in Daniel 10:13 & 21, Revelation 12:7-9 and Jude 9 different or requiring a different authority than 2 Thessalonians 2:6-8?

Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟108,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Straightshot said:

Can you support this with a scriptural argument, or is this just your opinion?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What are the limitations of Michael that would preclude him from being the restrainer?

How are the actions by Michael carried out in Daniel 10:13 & 21, Revelation 12:7-9 and Jude 9 different or requiring a different authority than 2 Thessalonians 2:6-8?

The verse doesn't mention that the angel was Michael.

Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟108,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The verse doesn't mention that the angel was Michael.

Correct, 2 Thessalonians does not; neither does it say the Holy Spirit or the church, two of the more popular theories.

The purpose of this thread is to build a credible case from scripture that Michael COULD BE the restrainer. I believe I have done that and have yet seen no case from scripture to support the other theories, only declarations that it could not be Michael.

Even in your post you said “angel” 2 Thessalonians doesn’t even say that.

Upvote 0

Straightshot

Feb 13, 2015
✟16,234.00
Faith
Christian
"Can you support this with a scriptural argument, or is this just your opinion?"

Daniel
10:10 And, behold, an hand touched me, which set me upon my knees and upon the palms of my hands.

10:11 And he said unto me, O Daniel, a man greatly beloved, understand the words that I speak unto thee, and stand upright: for unto thee am I now sent. And when he had spoken this word unto me, I stood trembling.

10:12 Then said he unto me, Fear not, Daniel: for from the first day that thou didst set thine heart to understand, and to chasten thyself before thy God, thy words were heard, and I am come for thy words.

10:13 But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me one and twenty days: but, lo, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me; and I remained there with the kings of Persia.

10:14 Now I am come to make thee understand what shall befall thy people in the latter days: for yet the vision is for many days.

10:15 And when he had spoken such words unto me, I set my face toward the ground, and I became dumb.

10:16 And, behold, one like the similitude of the sons of men touched my lips: then I opened my mouth, and spake, and said unto him that stood before me, O my lord, by the vision my sorrows are turned upon me, and I have retained no strength.

10:17 For how can the servant of this my lord talk with this my lord? for as for me, straightway there remained no strength in me, neither is there breath left in me.

10:18 Then there came again and touched me one like the appearance of a man, and he strengthened me,

10:19 And said, O man greatly beloved, fear not: peace be unto thee, be strong, yea, be strong. And when he had spoken unto me, I was strengthened, and said, Let my lord speak; for thou hast strengthened me.

10:20 Then said he, Knowest thou wherefore I come unto thee? and now will I return to fight with the prince of Persia: and when I am gone forth, lo, the prince of Grecia shall come.

10:21 But I will shew thee that which is noted in the scripture of truth: and there is none that holdeth with me in these things, but Michael your prince.

Daniel
12:1 And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book.

Revelation
12:7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

12:8 And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.

12:9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

2 Thessalonians
2:6 And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time.

2:7 For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.

2:8 And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:

2:9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders

2:10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

2:11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

2:12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

Michael's mission is to stand for Israel, past and present, and this archangel will be involved with the casting of Satan and his fallen angels to the earth and baring them from access to heaven during the coming tribulation

So he is not the restraining force that prevents Satan from operating in the open during the coming tribulation .... the restrainer against Satan is always the Lord's holy spirit

Only the Lord has the power to constrain the devil from destroying humanity and the earth

Satan has tried many times to completely deceive and destroy humanity and has always failed because the Lord has him on a tether

When the tribulation comes, the Lord will lift His restraint, stand aside, and will let the devil have his way for a short period .... if not shortened, Satan would succeed in his ambition

So because the earth dwellers at the time will have refused to believe the truth about the Lord, He will give them the devil in order to punish them for their intransigence [Revelation 12] .... then He will turn on Satan and restrain him fully in the abyss for 1000 years so that he cannot deceive the mortals of His millennial kingdom [Revelation 20:1-3]

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: MWood
Upvote 0