Arcadia
✟196,817.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In John 20:19 the disciples are meeting secretly for fear of the Jews and Jesus says to them , PEACE be into to you .

Then is verse 22 breathed on them and saith unto them RECEIVE ye ( THE ) HOLY SPIRIT .

But notice that the Greek word THE is Not in the Greek text and that means that Jesus breathed on the disciples the POWER of the HOLY SPIRIT , so why did He do that for ?
In verse Whose soever SINS ye REMIT they are REMITTED , and whose soever ( sins ) they are RETAINED .

SINCE when are humans allowed to REMIT SINS ?

When did they REMIT SINS ? And I believe they did REMIT SINS , HOW ?

Was this power only given to the 12 ?

Was Paul given this POWER ? Why not ?

Is there a BIG DIFFERENCE between Peter and Paul ?

If there is a DIFFERENCE , what is that DIFFERENCE than called ?

dan p

Last edited:

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
In John 20:19 the disciples are meeting secretly for fear of the Jews and Jesus says to them , PEACE be into to you .

Then is verse 22 breathed on them and saith unto them RECEIVE ye ( THE ) HOLY SPIRIT .

But notice that the Greek word THE is Not in the Greek text and that means that Jesus breathed on the disciples the POWER of the HOLY SPIRIT , so why did He do that for ?
In verse Whose soever SINS ye REMIT they are REMITTED , and whose soever ( sins ) they are RETAINED .

John 20:23 Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.
23 ἄν τινων ἀφῆτε τὰς ἁμαρτίας, ἀφίενται αὐτοῖς, ἄν τινων κρατῆτε, κεκράτηνται.

Matthew 6:14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your Heavenly Father will also forgive you:
14 Ἐὰν γὰρ ἀφῆτε τοῖς ἀνθρώποις τὰ παραπτώματα αὐτῶν, ἀφήσει καὶ ὑμῖν ὁ πατὴρ ὑμῶν ὁ οὐράνιος·

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟196,817.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Man can forgive men who sins him. God can forgive men who sins against Him.

And see that the 12 given the power to REMIT SIN , and that is what verse 23 says !!

Acts 2:38 says how it was done !!

dan p

Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
And see that the 12 given the power to REMIT SIN , and that is what verse 23 says !!

Acts 2:38 says how it was done !!

dan p

Acts of the Apostles 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Galatians 3:2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

A different gospel = a different Peter.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

Ιησους, to the 12 Disciples, at the Last Passover:

John 14:21-24 He that hath My Commandments and keepeth them, he it is that loveth Me; and he that loveth Me shall be loved of My Father and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.[22] Judas saith unto Him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that Thou wilt manifest Thyself unto us, and not unto the world?[23] Ιησους answered and said unto him, If a man love Me he will keep My words, and My Father will love him, and We will come unto him and make Our abode with him.[24] He that loveth Me not keepeth not My sayings; and the word which ye hear is not Mine, but the Father's which sent Me.

Matthew 5:24-27 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of Mine and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man which built his house upon the rock:[25] and the rain descended and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat upon that house: and it fell not, for it was founded upon the rock.[26] And every one that heareth these sayings of Mine and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man which built his house upon the sand:[27] and the rain descended and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat upon that house: and it fell, and great was the fall of it.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

dan p

That is one of the authorities Jesus gave to the apostles. They then handed that authority down to their successors. It is practiced in all of the Apostolic Churches but in different ways. In the Roman Church the priest -under authority of a Bishop- forgives sins. In most Orthodox Churches the priest stands as witness that God has forgiven the sins at confession.

And yes, Paul was given that authority also. See:

2Co 2:10 Now whom you forgive anything, I also forgive. For if indeed I have forgiven anything, I have forgiven that one for your sakes in the presence of Christ,

Notice not only does Paul personally forgive the man, but he also forgives him in the presence of Christ. He is exercising his Apostolic authority.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,271.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

dan p
There are a couple of views on this. 1- Jesus Christ of Nazareth gave the foundational 12 the power to forgive or He commissioned them to preach the Gospel which, in of itself, holds the message of forgiveness.
Blessings.

• Useful
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟196,817.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is one of the authorities Jesus gave to the apostles. They then handed that authority down to their successors. It is practiced in all of the Apostolic Churches but in different ways. In the Roman Church the priest -under authority of a Bishop- forgives sins. In most Orthodox Churches the priest stands as witness that God has forgiven the sins at confession.

2Co 2:10 Now whom you forgive anything, I also forgive. For if indeed I have forgiven anything, I have forgiven that one for your sakes in the presence of Christ,

Notice not only does Paul personally forgive the man, but he also forgives him in the presence of Christ. He is exercising his Apostolic authority.

I see that what was given to the disciples was different , because Paul FORGAVE in the PERSON OF CHRIST . 2 Cor 2:10 .

dan p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I see that what was given to the disciples was different , because Paul FORGAVE in the PERSON OF CHRIST . 2 Cor 2:10 .

dan p

That is also the gift given to Timothy:

1Ti 4:14 Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery.

That elevated Timothy to the same position. It has been handed down ever since.

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟196,817.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

1Ti 4:14 Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery.

What is it that was HANDED down to Timothy ?

dan p

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟196,817.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The Greek text says different ,

1 Tim 4:14 says that the gift given to THEE / SOI to Timothy is a PERSONAL POSSESSIVE PRONOUN and it is SINGULAR and singular to Timothy ONLY .

The Greek words WAS GIVEN / DIDOMI is in the PAST /AORIST TENSE , PASSIVE VOICE and in the INDICATIVE MOOD and is also SINGULAR to Timothy .

dan p

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The Greek text says different ,

1 Tim 4:14 says that the gift given to THEE / SOI to Timothy is a PERSONAL POSSESSIVE PRONOUN and it is SINGULAR and singular to Timothy ONLY .

The Greek words WAS GIVEN / DIDOMI is in the PAST /AORIST TENSE , PASSIVE VOICE and in the INDICATIVE MOOD and is also SINGULAR to Timothy .

dan p

That's all fine and good, but if I need to know the meaning of Greek I can always ask a Greek priest. It's not that all the Greek priests agree with me, it's that I agree with them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟196,817.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's all fine and good, but if I need to know the meaning of Greek I can always ask a Greek priest. It's not that all the Greek priests agree with me, it's that I agree with them.
When you find out , please explain , then as I use the KJV .

dan p

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So what do you think Jesus meant by that verse?

That just as the disciples had to receive the spirit, they were to preach the good news about Jesus and the forgiveness of sins, and just as they recieved Jesus and his forgiveness so those who heard them had to receive Jesus.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,441.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That just as the disciples had to receive the spirit, they were to preach the good news about Jesus and the forgiveness of sins, and just as they recieved Jesus and his forgiveness so those who heard them had to receive Jesus.

So you believe Jesus didn't mean what he said literally, that whatever sins they retained, they are retained?

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟196,817.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I would like to see a verse that the authority to forgives was PASSED down .

In 2 Cor 2:10 Paul forgave in the PERSON / PROSOPON which is in the DATIVE CASE that b shows POSSESSION and that [POSSESSION was SINGULAR and that means , only given to Paul .

I have yet to see that John 20:23 were given to OTHERS !!!!!

Unless you can have a verse THAT I missed , and would like to see ?

dan p

Upvote 0