Can Jesus still visit us physically today?

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Paul was. Jesus visited him on the "Damascus Road" encounter (Acts chapter 9). So we know for sure that Jesus did it at least once. Can He do it again? Has he ever done it again?

I personally know stories (personal testimonies) from people who claim to have had encounters with Jesus, including Muslims who had encounters and converted to Christianity as a consequence.

Have you heard of similar stories? Are these "Jesus encounters" stories credible?

Note: why am I asking this? Because of a mini-debate I'm having right now with @Oscarr (read from post #10) regarding the possibility of modern physical visitations of Jesus, in the broader context of whether apostolic callings are still possible today.

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Kenneth Hagin stated that he had a personal visit with Jesus while in the hospital.
From the book "I Believe in Visions":

A White-Robed Visitor
Then I heard footsteps coming down the corridor toward my room. I looked toward the door to see who it was, because it was only 6:30 — too early for visitors. Someone dressed in white came through the door and at first, I supposed it was a nurse.
As I looked closer, I saw it was Jesus! It seemed as if my hair stood on end. Cold chill bumps popped out all over my body, and I couldn't say a word.
Jesus approached my bed and sat down on a chair. He was robed in white and had some sort of sandals on. (When I had seen Him before, His feet had been bare.)
The Lord began His conversation with me by saying, "I told you in the automobile the other night..."

Read the rest of the account in the above mentioned book.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,372.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Paul was. Jesus visited him on the "Damascus Road" encounter (Acts chapter 9). So we know for sure that Jesus did it at least once. Can He do it again? Has he ever done it again?
Jesus was said to have appeared to Peter as he was about to flee Rome. Jesus asked, "Quo vadis?" And Peter turned around and went back to Rome to die. Is it true, or just a good story? I wasn't there.

But Jesus is present, as the Emmanuel, even now in the Eucharist. Not in a recognizable humanoid body, but still really present to us. Appearing to someone in a humanoid bodily form would be easy enough.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Kenneth Hagin stated that he had a personal visit with Jesus while in the hospital.
From the book "I Believe in Visions":

A White-Robed Visitor
Then I heard footsteps coming down the corridor toward my room. I looked toward the door to see who it was, because it was only 6:30 — too early for visitors. Someone dressed in white came through the door and at first, I supposed it was a nurse.
As I looked closer, I saw it was Jesus! It seemed as if my hair stood on end. Cold chill bumps popped out all over my body, and I couldn't say a word.
Jesus approached my bed and sat down on a chair. He was robed in white and had some sort of sandals on. (When I had seen Him before, His feet had been bare.)
The Lord began His conversation with me by saying, "I told you in the automobile the other night..."

Read the rest of the account in the above mentioned book.
Seeing that all we have of Jesus are artists' impressions of him, mainly as a white European, how did the guy know it was really Jesus? I don't believe that it was Jesus at all. If it was a supernatural figure visiting him it would be more likely to be a spirit that was not of God adopting a human form to make Hagin believe it was Jesus visiting him. Even if what the person was telling Hagin was accurate, that means nothing either, because demons know all about us and our history and activities.

William Branham had some remarkably accurate words of knowledge which told complete strangers their home towns and street numbers. Many sincerely believed that Braham was a prophet of God. But the outcome of his ministry was a major division in the Pentecostal movement and the formation of the heretical "oneness" Pentecostal movement. Much of Branham's teaching contained many heresies contrary to the Gospel of Christ. He claims to have been visited by an angel who informed him about God's calling on his life. In these days, there is much credence in believing that the angel was not of God, and his words of knowledge, although supernatural came from a spirit of divination. It shows that demons can be very convincing in appearing as angels, and providing supernatural gifts of the "Spirit" (not of the Holy Spirit).

The Scripture says:
"Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more" (2 Corinthians 5:16).

This Scripture makes it quite clear that any personal visitation by anyone purporting to be Christ in the flesh is a fake, and if the visitation is supernatural then it comes from a spirit that is not of God.

• Informative
Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Jesus appeared to Thomas and invited him to feel His wounds.

His resurrected body was able to take physical form.
Quite so. However, once He ascended from the Mount of Olives, He will not return personally until He comes and every eye shall see Him.

Also, from what I see from Scripture, once Jesus was resurrected in his glorified physical body, He remains as the God-man seated at the right hand of the majesty on high. There is no reference to Him leaving His physical body and roaming around as a disembodied spirit. He doesn't need to. The Holy Spirit is the omnipresent Person of the Godhead indwelling Christian believers and will remain as the representative of the Godhead until the Second Coming when Jesus will come and take over the reigns of the Kingdom on earth and then once all has been fulfilled, Jesus will hand it all back to His Father.

Reactions: IntriKate
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your scriptural support for this assertion seems to be a little thin.

He says on the one hand to Mary - don't touch me because I am not yet ascended. The implication is that after that , touching would be OK.

He says to Thomas - put you hand in my side.

You have a solid theory and may be correct but Scripture is thin and your thesis must align with what Scripture we do have.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Your scriptural support for this assertion seems to be a little thin.

He says on the one hand to Mary - don't touch me because I am not yet ascended. The implication is that after that , touching would be OK.

He says to Thomas - put you hand in my side.

You have a solid theory and may be correct but Scripture is thin and your thesis must align with what Scripture we do have.
Hebrews 8:1-2 says this:

"The point of what we are saying is this: We do have such a high priest, who sat down at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in heaven, and who ministers in the sanctuary and true tabernacle set up by the Lord, not by man."

This reference shows that Jesus, our High Priest ministers in the heavenly sanctuary until He returns on the last day as He promised He would. That is where His ministry is at present. It is the Holy Spirit who has the ministry to the believers in the world, and who convicts the world of sin, righteousness and judgment to come. The reason why there are no personal visitations by Jesus to the world before the Second Coming is that direct ministry to believers is the present role of the Holy Spirit. Christ's ministry is for the believers in the heavenly sanctuary, interceding for the saints to the Father. Christ and the Holy Spirit do not exchange ministries. For Christ to make personal visitations to minister to believers, He would be usurping the role of the Holy Spirit, something He would never do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For Christ to make personal visitations to minister to believers, He would be usurping the role of the Holy Spirit, something He would never do.

Then how do you explain Acts 9:1-9 (ESV):

But Saul, still breathing threats and murder against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest 2 and asked him for letters to the synagogues at Damascus, so that if he found any belonging to the Way, men or women, he might bring them bound to Jerusalem. 3 Now as he went on his way, he approached Damascus, and suddenly a light from heaven shone around him. 4 And falling to the ground, he heard a voice saying to him, “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?” 5 And he said, “Who are you, Lord?” And he said, “I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. 6 But rise and enter the city, and you will be told what you are to do.” 7 The men who were traveling with him stood speechless, hearing the voice but seeing no one. 8 Saul rose from the ground, and although his eyes were opened, he saw nothing. So they led him by the hand and brought him into Damascus. 9 And for three days he was without sight, and neither ate nor drank.

And Acts 9:10-16 is also interesting:

10 Now there was a disciple at Damascus named Ananias. The Lord said to him in a vision, “Ananias.” And he said, “Here I am, Lord.” 11 And the Lord said to him, “Rise and go to the street called Straight, and at the house of Judas look for a man of Tarsus named Saul, for behold, he is praying, 12 and he has seen in a vision a man named Ananias come in and lay his hands on him so that he might regain his sight.” 13 But Ananias answered, “Lord, I have heard from many about this man, how much evil he has done to your saints at Jerusalem. 14 And here he has authority from the chief priests to bind all who call on your name.” 15 But the Lord said to him, “Go, for he is a chosen instrument of mine to carry my name before the Gentiles and kings and the children of Israel. 16 For I will show him how much he must suffer for the sake of my name.”

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Then how do you explain Acts 9:1-9 (ESV):

But Saul, still breathing threats and murder against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest 2 and asked him for letters to the synagogues at Damascus, so that if he found any belonging to the Way, men or women, he might bring them bound to Jerusalem. 3 Now as he went on his way, he approached Damascus, and suddenly a light from heaven shone around him. 4 And falling to the ground, he heard a voice saying to him, “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?” 5 And he said, “Who are you, Lord?” And he said, “I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. 6 But rise and enter the city, and you will be told what you are to do.” 7 The men who were traveling with him stood speechless, hearing the voice but seeing no one. 8 Saul rose from the ground, and although his eyes were opened, he saw nothing. So they led him by the hand and brought him into Damascus. 9 And for three days he was without sight, and neither ate nor drank.

And Acts 9:10-16 is also interesting:

10 Now there was a disciple at Damascus named Ananias. The Lord said to him in a vision, “Ananias.” And he said, “Here I am, Lord.” 11 And the Lord said to him, “Rise and go to the street called Straight, and at the house of Judas look for a man of Tarsus named Saul, for behold, he is praying, 12 and he has seen in a vision a man named Ananias come in and lay his hands on him so that he might regain his sight.” 13 But Ananias answered, “Lord, I have heard from many about this man, how much evil he has done to your saints at Jerusalem. 14 And here he has authority from the chief priests to bind all who call on your name.” 15 But the Lord said to him, “Go, for he is a chosen instrument of mine to carry my name before the Gentiles and kings and the children of Israel. 16 For I will show him how much he must suffer for the sake of my name.”
You seem to banging on the same drum repeatedly. I have already explained that Acts 9 is a unique event where Christ, according to God's plan and purpose for getting the Gospel to the Gentiles, directly called Saul to Himself and then after a period of training, separated Paul and Barnabas for the ministry He had called them.

As I have already said, this special unique calling of a person specially chosen by God for a particular pioneering work in the early church has never been repeated, because the calling fulfilled its purpose.

Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You seem to banging on the same drum repeatedly. I have already explained that Acts 9 is a unique event where Christ, according to God's plan and purpose for getting the Gospel to the Gentiles, directly called Saul to Himself and then after a period of training, separated Paul and Barnabas for the ministry He had called them.

As I have already said, this special unique calling of a person specially chosen by God for a particular pioneering work in the early church has never been repeated, because the calling fulfilled its purpose.

But again, that begs the question: how do you know this is a one-of-a-kind calling? How do you know Jesus can't pay similar visits again? Claiming that Jesus can't is essentially putting God in a box.

And again, you are claiming this has never been repeated, which is a strong absolutist claim. If Jesus could call Paul in that fashion for a specific purpose, there is nothing stopping Jesus from calling another person in a similar fashion for another specific purpose.

Of course the apostle Paul had a unique ministry. No one is claiming that the exact same ministry, with the exact same sequence of cities visited and churches planted by Paul must be repeated. We are in the 21st century now, so it's pretty much impossible to make a repeat of Paul's ministry. What I'm saying is that there is nothing stopping Jesus from calling another person in a similar fashion, regardless of the specific ministry they may be called to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
But again, that begs the question: how do you know this is a one-of-a-kind calling? How do you know Jesus can't pay similar visits again? Claiming that Jesus can't is essentially putting God in a box.

And again, you are claiming this has never been repeated, which is a strong absolutist claim. If Jesus could call Paul in that fashion for a specific purpose, there is nothing stopping Jesus from calling another person in a similar fashion for another specific purpose.

Of course the apostle Paul had a unique ministry. No one is claiming that the exact same ministry, with the exact same sequence of cities visited and churches planted by Paul must be repeated. What I'm saying is that there is nothing stopping Jesus from calling another person in a similar fashion, regardless of the specific ministry they may be called to.
If that is the case, then this new modern "Paul" would write material that would be recognised as Holy Scripture, and have a Gospel ministry accompanied by signs and wonders.

William Branham came close. He claimed to have been visited by an angel who told him of God's calling on his life. Well, we know how he ended up causing untold damage to the body of Christ through heretical teaching, and the belief that he was Elijah.

Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If that is the case, then this new modern "Paul" would write material that would be recognised as Holy Scripture, and have a Gospel ministry accompanied by signs and wonders.

This requirement that all apostles must produce writings that must be added to the canon is fallacious too. This is analogous to the argument put forth by Cessationists against modern prophets and the gift of prophecy, claiming that any new revelations from God must be added to the canon of Scripture. These absolutist requirements are clearly false. Most prophetic utterances were never recorded in Scripture. Most of the apostles did not contribute with Holy Scriptures either. Someone doesn't need to add new content to the canon in order to be a prophet or an apostle.

I agree with the bit about accompanying signs and wonders though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
This requirement that all apostles must produce writings that must be added to the canon is fallacious too. This is analogous to the argument put forth by Cessationists against modern prophets and the gift of prophecy, claiming that any new revelations from God must be added to the canon of Scripture. These absolutist requirements are clearly false. Most prophetic utterances were never recorded in Scripture. Most of the apostles did not contribute with Holy Scriptures either. Someone doesn't need to add new content to the canon in order to be a prophet or an apostle.

I agree with the bit about accompanying signs and wonders though.

This is why I believe that Paul's calling was unique and was the person who was most influential in turning multitudes of Gentiles to Christ and planting some very significant churches in the region where he journeyed. His teaching through his letters forms the bulk of the New Testament outside of the Gospels and his influence is still powerful 2000 years later. There can be no other person like him, ever. This is why I believe that Christ did something unique and unprecedented on the Damascus Road in turning Paul around from being a rabid persecutor of the Christian church, to one of the most influential Apostles of Christ in the Christian church. it had to take such a dramatic encounter with the glorified Christ to achieve it. I believe that Jesus split the fabric of the universe to shine His light directly from heaven to knock Paul off his horse, blind him, and speak to him in the way He did.

It shows that the spiritual dimension where God's throne is, is not very far from us at all. Before Jesus took His place at the right hand of the Father, He was able to transport Himself directly from the spiritual world right into where the disciples were without having to go through the wall or the closed door. Star Trek did it as part of science fiction, but Jesus did it in reality and it was instant, not a gradual appearance as we saw in Star Trek. But once He was finally ascended, and sent the Holy Spirit into the world to take His place, His role was in the heavenly sanctuary ministered before the Father on behalf of the saints, while the Holy Spirit ministered to the saints from within each one.

This is why I believe that Jesus doesn't have to personally visit anyone on earth, because the indwelling Holy Spirit does everything that Jesus did on earth, even greater works because the Holy Spirit is not limited to just one place in the world.

To use our common sense, Jesus is not going to say to the Holy Spirit, "You are not doing this right. I'll have to come down to do it My way." The Holy Spirit is God, and He does everything totally right, and His representation of Jesus is so perfect, that Jesus doesn't have to come and personally visit anyone. Why should He, if the person already has God the Holy Spirit representing Jesus within him?

I think that those who say Jesus visited them personally have a very low opinion of the Holy Spirit, bordering on blasphemy.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think that those who say Jesus visited them personally have a very low opinion of the Holy Spirit, bordering on blasphemy.

You might consider to be careful with your words...

Jesus appeared to me when I was about 8 - before I was born again. No indwelling presence was involved.

I am amazed at how members of CF judge eachother in clear violation of Rom 14.

To say what God can and cant do on thin scriptural support is also rather thin ice...

I understand how you are motivated by distain towards false manifestations but this good intent can become over zealous and condemn the innocent.

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟283,713.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Man can infer that He doesn't, but I don't know of anything in the Bible that actually says He can't appear. It's the Bible that's important, not human inferences. Even with a physical body, Jesus is still God, and infinite; that's in the Bible.

• Agree
Reactions: TruthSeek3r
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is this to consider. Some versions are stronger in the idea than others.
Act 3:21
(ISV) He must remain in heaven until the time of universal restitution, which God announced long ago through the voice of his holy prophets.
(KJV) Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.
(LSV) whom Heaven required, indeed, to receive until times of a restitution of all things, of which God spoke through the mouth of all His holy prophets from the age.
(NET) This one heaven must receive until the time all things are restored, which God declared from times long ago through his holy prophets.
(Williams) Yet heaven must retain Him till the time for the universal restoration of which God in the early ages spoke through the lips of His holy prophets.

Last edited:
Upvote 0