• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Can it get out of control?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bumblebee62331

Oct 12, 2005
✟37,794.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I've been feeling really low lately. I've been avoiding going into uni, or going out because I just want to curl up and hide. I'm depressed I know. Am I likely to get out of this by myself, or will it get worse? Is it possible to live like this, or do I need help? I don't know if it's truly depression and to be honest, I don't want to find out. The last thing I want to do is talk to a counsellor. I was wondering if anyone else felt the same way.

GryffinSong

open-minded skeptic
May 7, 2007
✟8,739.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I am not a counselor or other sort of professional, so this is just my opinion and experience.

If it's been going on a few days only, then it may well pass on its own. If it's been going on for weeks or months or more, then I'd seriously consider getting professional help. I know the fear and concern over getting professional help. The self-stigma of counseling or taking pills can be enormous. But believe me when I say that counseling and antidepressants have saved my life. I don't mean literally, as I've never been suicidal. I mean saved me from the sort of dark place that you've described. When I am depressed I stop creating. I'm an artist, and to be in a flat place where my creativity doesn't flow, where I don't want to leave my home, where I stop doing things I love ... that's a form of life that isn't full. You're young and have so much of your life ahead of you. Please give yourself a chance to blossom into the beautiful you who is your best self!

:groupray: You deserve so much better than to feel badly. :groupray:

Upvote 0

Mrs. Luther073082

Commit to the LORD whatever you do - Proverbs 16:3
Jan 18, 2006
✟41,836.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I've been feeling really low lately. I've been avoiding going into uni, or going out because I just want to curl up and hide. I'm depressed I know. Am I likely to get out of this by myself, or will it get worse?

It is possible to get out of it by yourself but much smarter to get professional help because yes, it CAN get out of control. Getting proper treatment can prevent it from getting out of control.

Is it possible to live like this, or do I need help?

It would only be existing, not living. Getting help can get you back to LIVING and enjoying life again. There is nothing wrong with getting help.

I don't know if it's truly depression and to be honest, I don't want to find out.

You can't solve a problem if you don't even know what the problem is. Ignoring or denying it will not make it go away.

The last thing I want to do is talk to a counsellor. I was wondering if anyone else felt the same way.

Plenty of people feel that way, which is why a lot of people stay depressed for a lot longer than they should. It is a shame that so many people continue to suffer due to the stigma attached to seeking professional help. Not all counselors are good counselors but when you find a good one it is DEFINITELY worth your while. Stay away from counselors that want to analyze your past. Look for counselors that want to help you deal with the present and recover. Participating in goal oriented therapy and learning problem-focused coping can be particularly effective.

Everything I've said is me speaking from first hand experience: I've felt like you described, I didn't want to get counseling, I tried getting better on my own, it got way out of control, I wasted years of my life and only felt like I was existing, then, I got help and I got better. Wish I'd just done that in the first place.

Upvote 0

AWorkInProgress

A fool becoming wise
Jan 18, 2007
Glendale, AZ
✟89,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've been feeling really low lately. I've been avoiding going into uni, or going out because I just want to curl up and hide. I'm depressed I know. Am I likely to get out of this by myself, or will it get worse? Is it possible to live like this, or do I need help? I don't know if it's truly depression and to be honest, I don't want to find out. The last thing I want to do is talk to a counsellor. I was wondering if anyone else felt the same way.
Don't trust what you "feel" like, trust in God. Depression is going to pull you in one direction, but as you already noticed it isn't the right one.

Ask, seek, knock

As others point out that you can seek professional help. If something is happening to you, seek answers. Do not be satified by being able to just get by with the syntoms. Start the process and find out what root cause is.

To help guide you, I suggest you learn to listen to your spirit. As well lean on reason part of your mind. When emotions are getting out of control or in use of sinful nature. Give logic and reason to your spirit, to balance out your mind.

Spirit was introduced to me when did self study on selfcontrol. (Galatians 5:16-26)

"25 Since we are living by the Spirit, let us follow the Spirit’s leading in every part of our lives. "
"16 So I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives."
" 22 But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control."

It is a very hard to hear voice in my mind. Sometimes it rises to the occation, but for most part it is ignored. I turned my spirit into my personal foreman to give me guidance in difficult times or confusion. I think it is what we call our conquence now of days, a strong sense of responcibility, true, and reason.

It may be hard to hear, might have to meditate to listen to it. If you are in full depression, it will be a whisper compared to the screams of your sinful nature. You will know when you find it.

Lastly, ontop of professional help I always suggest doing a spiritual maturity process. You may be surprized how much more about yourself that needs to grow or rectified. Well Jesus said it best.

Luke 6:46-49
Building on a Solid Foundation

46 “So why do you keep calling me ‘Lord, Lord!’ when you don’t do what I say? 47 I will show you what it’s like when someone comes to me, listens to my teaching, and then follows it. 48 It is like a person building a house who digs deep and lays the foundation on solid rock. When the floodwaters rise and break against that house, it stands firm because it is well built. 49 But anyone who hears and doesn’t obey is like a person who builds a house without a foundation. When the floods sweep down against that house, it will collapse into a heap of ruins.”

God bless!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.