Can it be good to confess our faults to other than God alone?

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟902,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ones say our sins and faults are between us and God.

This thread is open for however you have been blessed about this.

Thank you :)
James 5:16
16 Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.

Upvote 0

JesusTheMessiah

Anytime Rapture, Futurist, Dispensationalist
Sep 28, 2021
Vienna
✟12,660.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

Great question.

The bible is pretty clear on this topic:
„Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.“
‭‭James‬ ‭5:16‬

Besides that, I can only confirm that confessing to others (men of God, good stable people of faith) than God alone is very helpful. Especially when there’s ongoing sin where one has no power over it.

Be blessed,
Manno

Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That was a quick debate, James 5:16 makes it clear, that yes it's perfectly fine and healthy to confess your sins and struggles to one another. However, that confession does not save a person.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

Confessing sins publicly is a clear sign that hearts have been touched by the Holy Spirit.
Mark 1:
John came baptizing in the wilderness and preaching a baptism of repentance for
the remission of sins.
5 Then all the land of Judea, and those from Jerusalem, went out to him and were
all baptized by him in the Jordan River, confessing their sins.

Nehemiah 9
:
1 Now on the twenty-fourth day of this month the children of Israel were assembled with fasting,
in sackcloth, and with dust on their heads.
2 Then those of Israelite lineage separated themselves from all foreigners; and they stood and confessed their sins and the iniquities of their fathers.
3 And they stood up in their place and read from the Book of the Law of the Lord their God
for one-fourth of the day; and for another fourth they confessed and worshiped
the Lord their God.

Upvote 0

Phyllis Gray

Oct 20, 2021
Norman
✟15,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Com7ty8, I thank you so much for directing me to your post, and as it refers to confession, I will say your mention of me and direction to this post is both a simple thing and one that could easily bring me to tears. Do I think confession should be between only ourselves and God. Well, God says he shall not give us more than we can handle. So perhaps, if it's all a person can handle, then give it to God alone. But if we can use our confessions as testimonies to/for the Lord or for our brethren, then why not? Why not glorify the Lord where we can. The testimony I can give right now, is that in your one most simply and probably/maybe not even intentional kindness toward me, it could bring me to tears... which is because I come from a tiny family... so small and so recluse and so shielded that teachings of God and responsibility were abundant, but acts of kindness and kudos were quite a bit less prevalent. As a matter of fact, when I read John 15:19 for the first time which says "If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you," (YLT) it made me feel a little less bad. I can't ever even recall having a real birthday party. Of course, I was born the day after Christmas, so it seemed people were more consumed with Christmas, but I did get a birthday cake sometimes, lol. But it always seemed people hated me, even though I was mostly a quiet kid growing up. I kind of felt like if I sneezed the wrong way, someone was ready to chastise me for it. I was not welcomed into this world it seemed, nor have I ever been. And yet, I doubt I am alone. I feel there are likely many others who have had similar experiences in life. If my telling this most humiliating aspect of my life, can help someone else, who has never really felt welcomed in this world, and it can help them to remember John 15:19, and hold it in their heart to help them get by, then I offer that testimony up. It hurts to do it, but a little hurt from me, to help them, is worth it. It makes me feel like I knew Jesus' pain just a little, when he gave so much in pain, to save so many from theirs. So what if a tear falls, but that tear sheds and becomes a light in another man's/woman's heart. It tears a peson apart sometimes to be vulnerable, but it passes. And in retrospect, it feels good... that sacrifice that we give. And it can be bigger in our memory and healing (eventually because it can take time), than the moment of pain we experienced. I think back sometimes to the verse where Jesus said to some that they never knew him... because when I'm giving through sacrifice... even the sacrifice of confession... then I'm hoping, that I knew/know him.

• Friendly
Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

My church uses a general confession, by which the members of the congregation, prior to receiving Holy Communion, confess (aloud) their sins and the priest pronounces the absolution of those sins in the name of God.

This seems a good way to approach the matter. We are told in Scripture to confess our sins. And Christ gave certain people in leadership the right or authority to forgive sins (on his behalf).

The idea of going into a small closet and talking to a priest who would then seem to decide what to do with the sins confessed is not of Apostolic origin anyway, but didn't develop until the Middle Ages.

But even that, as done in the Roman Catholic Church, is meant to be understood as the priest acting on behalf of God when pronouncing that the penitent's sins are forgiven.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

While it's both, and David even writes to the Lord, in hyperbole (after committing adultery with Bathsheba and then murder against her husband, Uriah (which was of course a sin against both of them)):

But David wrote to the Lord:

Psalm 51:4 Against You, You only, have I sinned and done what is evil in Your sight, so that You may be proved right when You speak and blameless when You judge.

So, when we confess, it's good to confess to one another (James 5), but it's crucial to confess to God.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My church uses a general confession, by which the members of the congregation, prior to receiving Holy Communion, confess (aloud) their sins and the priest pronounces the absolution of those sins in the name of God.

This seems a good way to approach the matter. We are told in Scripture to confess our sins. And Christ gave certain people in leadership the right or authority to forgive sins (on his behalf).

The idea of going into a small closet and talking to a priest who would then seem to decide what to do with the sins confessed is not of Apostolic origin anyway, but didn't develop until the Middle Ages.

But even that, as done in the Roman Catholic Church, is meant to be understood as the priest acting on behalf of God when pronouncing that the penitent's sins are forgiven.
Yes, our pastors in the Lutheran church often will use a wording like "I declare to you the forgiveness of your sins" after we recite a confession as a congregation. (it's understood that the individual must be sincerely confessing to obtain this forgiveness)

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That was a quick debate, James 5:16 makes it clear, that yes it's perfectly fine and healthy to confess your sins and struggles to one another. However, that confession does not save a person.
That's right in a way: confessing to another human being doesn't save us. It only helps everyone.

Only God saves us, and He requires we confess (admit) that we have sinned -- confessing directly to Him. As Christ taught, and Peter and John and Paul repeated.

"Repentance" involves admitting one has done wrongs, and that's a 'confessing' one has done wrongs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jesus saved sinners and he's not going to do it again for anybody.
Our task is to accept it.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,460.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Also, repentance after salvation is clearly directed in Rev 2 and 3.

As far as not being welcomed to this world, you were/are by God. He determines the time and place of our births: -“And he made from one man every race of men to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted epochs and the fixed boundaries of the places where they would live;” (Acts 17:26)

He formed us:
-“For You formed my innermost parts; You knit me [together] in my mother’s womb” Psa 139:13
-“Have we not all one father? hath not one God created us? why do we deal treacherously every man against his brother, by profaning the covenant of our fathers?” Mal 2;10

He gives us life each day:
-“The spirit of God hath made me, and the breath of the Almighty hath given me life.” Job 33:4
"I will put ligaments on you, place muscles on you, and cover you with skin. I will put breath in you, and you will live. Then you will know that I am Yahweh." Eze 37:6

He has a plan for each one:
-“For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.” Jer 29:11
-“And we know that all things work together for good for those who love God, for those who are called according to his purpose,” Rom 8:28
-“who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time eternal,” II Tim 1:9

Upvote 0

Context1

Oct 24, 2021
Singapore
✟45,556.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
We Christians grow from spiritual baby (self-centred) to mature man/woman-who will love God and fellow men/women like himself/herself - to be like Jesus. Recognize the more you mature in this process, you will be released from your self-centredness and less affected by what others say or be an overcomer in your negative emotions /attitude with faith in HIS Word the Bible and you will have joy more in your Christian's walk in this fallen world which in need of a Savior Jesus. Be encourage in Christ, Christians now have 5 thousand years of knowledge of God the Bible with Internet as compared to the believers in Old Testament times (only had Old Testament books) and New Testament times ( had more books than OT)

Com7ty8, I thank you so much for directing me to your post, and as it refers to confession, I will say your mention of me and direction to this post is both a simple thing and one that could easily bring me to tears. Do I think confession should be between only ourselves and God. Well, God says he shall not give us more than we can handle. So perhaps, if it's all a person can handle, then give it to God alone. But if we can use our confessions as testimonies to/for the Lord or for our brethren, then why not? Why not glorify the Lord where we can. The testimony I can give right now, is that in your one most simply and probably/maybe not even intentional kindness toward me, it could bring me to tears... which is because I come from a tiny family... so small and so recluse and so shielded that teachings of God and responsibility were abundant, but acts of kindness and kudos were quite a bit less prevalent. As a matter of fact, when I read John 15:19 for the first time which says "If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you," (YLT) it made me feel a little less bad. I can't ever even recall having a real birthday party. Of course, I was born the day after Christmas, so it seemed people were more consumed with Christmas, but I did get a birthday cake sometimes, lol. But it always seemed people hated me, even though I was mostly a quiet kid growing up. I kind of felt like if I sneezed the wrong way, someone was ready to chastise me for it. I was not welcomed into this world it seemed, nor have I ever been. And yet, I doubt I am alone. I feel there are likely many others who have had similar experiences in life. If my telling this most humiliating aspect of my life, can help someone else, who has never really felt welcomed in this world, and it can help them to remember John 15:19, and hold it in their heart to help them get by, then I offer that testimony up. It hurts to do it, but a little hurt from me, to help them, is worth it. It makes me feel like I knew Jesus' pain just a little, when he gave so much in pain, to save so many from theirs. So what if a tear falls, but that tear sheds and becomes a light in another man's/woman's heart. It tears a peson apart sometimes to be vulnerable, but it passes. And in retrospect, it feels good... that sacrifice that we give. And it can be bigger in our memory and healing (eventually because it can take time), than the moment of pain we experienced. I think back sometimes to the verse where Jesus said to some that they never knew him... because when I'm giving through sacrifice... even the sacrifice of confession... then I'm hoping, that I knew/know him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do I think confession should be between only ourselves and God. Well, God says he shall not give us more than we can handle. So perhaps, if it's all a person can handle, then give it to God alone. But if we can use our confessions as testimonies to/for the Lord or for our brethren, then why not?
Yes, I would say, there can be things that we want to handle in prayer only with God. And if we do this, this can be very good . . . meaning we trust God more than people . . . even though God is so more and better than we are, and He is our Judge > yet, we trust Him. This is so good! He does want us to trust Him about anything > even if it is a no-excuse thing, I would say >

"casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7)

Usually, humans who seem more than others can also seem out of reach; they might act like they are so superior and important, so that they can look down on us and despise us for having some fault or failing; yet, God is the One who is so truly more and better than anyone, and yet He is not at all conceited and despising us, but Jesus has compassion for us!!!

So, giving something to God alone can be very good, acknowledging Him as being so . . . humble . . . instead of being conceited and snotty and important against us.

Even so . . . if we get into confessing things to other people, this can mean we are becoming stronger against our sinful things, so we are not afraid of them and trying to hide them; if we allow sin troubles to shame and embarrass us so we hide them, this can isolate us; this is one of the basic things of how sin can keep itself successful over us > sin problems can isolate us from other people, so we do not find out how to relate and share with each other as family.

So, I think we need to have confession which is personal, sharing, even with family trust with one another, and praying with hope for each other to be "healed" (James 5:16) of the character stuff which makes us able to sin, and "healed" (James 5:16) into how God's love has us become and relate, instead.

So, confessing, I think, first needs to be in sharing with ones who are trustworthy. I think I have learned that it can be unwise to tell certain things to people who are not God's children or who are not mature and proven with us. But we need to be prayerful, then, about what we confess and to whom and when.

Even when we are sharing with a genuinely Christian people, we need to be prayerful about if we bring attention to our sin problems; there can be much better things to talk about and minister. I notice how the attention of the "Our Father" prayer does not start with "our sins" :) So, even in prayer, possibly, we need to first start with our Heavenly Father and be in His love, first, with attention to Him and where He pleases to guide our attention.

I read James 5:16 and right away I decided I should tell any and all Christians all my sin problems. I understood this would show them I was ready for intimate sharing about all our secrets so we could have intimate friendship. But . . . no one joined me in being mutual in this!! I could not understand it. But then my correction came > I was trying to show off how mature and ready for love I was; but no one bought it . . . good for them :)

I have needed to grow so I can be wise in how to confess with people and how to share intimately.

And here is how it has worked much better and deeper, for me, I would say >

For a while, I told my church leaders things, and they encouraged me and prayed for me. But it did not get me into much more sharing with them and others. But I got better against my problems, and they encouraged me for being honest with them.

Then I got with my lady friend. And, lo and behold, I could break my rules about being mutual (Ephesians 5:21) and not trying to lord myself over her (1 Peter 5:3). I mean, once I became closely involved with her, there were things that could get the better of me and I would be even somewhat embarrassed, how I did not stay with a nice temper and being pleasantly patient like I had been boasting I would do if God gave me a close relationship. There were times when I could start to get nasty and bitter and controlling inside myself, when she did not go along with how I was boasting I could help her so much. But I could see pretty easily how I was starting to get bitter and nasty, and I know how God's word says for a husband to relate with his wife >

"Husbands, love your wives and do not be bitter toward them." (Colossians 3:19)

And already, I knew this could apply to any close relating with anyone > never to get bitter . . . never is there any excuse to become bitter; so, I knew I was in trouble. And so, I would stop right then, and pray and wait for God to correct me.

And I might, right then, say I apologize for arguing with you and trying and control you; I am wrong. And she would say things to appreciate me, saying she appreciates that I care about her and try to give her good advice. But I would insist I was getting the wrong way, and I needed to stay sweet and kind and humble and trusting God for if and how He sees fit to have her doing something that I was trying to influence her to do.

I was not obeying how God wants to rule us in His peace >

"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful." (Colossians 3:15)

And one time I got into peace and sensed unity with her, and then we agreed on a much better way for us to handle something . . . better than how I had been trying to push her to do something.

In God's peace we have love's creativity with unity > I was quite awestruck and amazed at how pleasant and sweet and sharing it was to work something out with her in peace and unity > it was miraculous.

But a point I am making is my manner of confessing has developed so it is right in the middle of how I am relating with her . . . right when pride would have me keep pushing for something > instead, to stop and judge my own self, and never mind even if she is wrong, somehow.

And in case she really is wrong, but I am getting nasty > judge myself, right then, thank God if I do this which I would not have my honesty and self-control to do > and get His real deep correction, then encourage her about what is good, not push and criticize her. And encourage her to pray for me to get real correction of God.

Upvote 0

DiscipleOfChrist85

Servant Of The True King
Sep 20, 2021
Florida
✟26,585.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You can't work on a problem if you don't acknowledge there is a problem. That being said, I will share and confess my sins even if I don't want to because, yes what I say has no power but saying it is important. Be confession my sins, God can work from me to bless others and it allows me to be open to receive forgiveness. If confessing here helps even one person get closer to God, then that is all that matters.
Of course I don't do it for my own glory but for God and I pray that God will me to continue to be open. I only do this because this is what God wants.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DiscipleOfChrist85

Servant Of The True King
Sep 20, 2021
Florida
✟26,585.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Plus confessing our sins can allow us to enter into deeper fellowship with each other and God which is important because many people have a relationship with God, but not everyone fellowships with him, which I'm guilty off

Upvote 0