Can I ask God to give me a lot of money?

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Job 42: 10 After Job had prayed for his friends, the LORD made him prosperous again and gave him twice as much as he had before.

Can I ask God to bless my job/business so that I will earn a lot of money?

Well, nobody is going to stop you, but bear in mind that Jesus wants you to be aware that the love of money can be a snare.

Luke 12:13-15 Someone in the crowd said to Him, "Teacher, tell my brother to divide the family inheritance with me." But He said to him, "Man, who appointed Me a judge or arbitrator over you?" Then He said to them, "Beware, and be on your guard against every form of greed; for not even when one has an abundance does his life consist of his possessions."

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Job 42: 10 After Job had prayed for his friends, the LORD made him prosperous again and gave him twice as much as he had before.

Interesting question bro, good one too cause a friend asked the same thing.

1. Job didn't ask for what he got first of all man, he didn't say God give me a lot of money or anything, and we have to remember he was rich before anyway. He in a sense simply got back what he had just twice as much.

2. The bible says don't pray in ammiss (for just things you want)

3.Also there's a reason teh bible says this...

IF you abide in me and my word abide in you you can ask what you will and it will be done unto you.

Explanation: If you know the word and you have been saved you are less likely to ask for things like 1 million bucks. But rather you will have the understanding to ask for money if you need it, if you can't pay for a bill etc. You'll have a love/respect for God that will prevent you from simply attempting to take advantage of him (isn't possible which is why i said attempt).

Any other questions and let me know, but yeah. Sure God can help those who aren't saved and aren't seeking him, but he truly shows favor and moves more so for christians.

But the ultimate answer for your question is no you can't just ask for bunch of money and have it come down. Now if you need a job and that job ends up being some million dollar making job then yeah God decided to give you that, but that's not guaranteed. Some people are meant to minister and live in the hood, others mid class, others a rich area. That's why there are rich christians,mid,poor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
A lot of people in the world ask God for that, or even just that they can win the lottery or get disability or win an inheritance or get enough retirement built up so they can be "comfortable".

Find Jesus' WORD in the NEW TESTAMENT to those who are comfortable, and you will not want to follow in those footsteps (of those who are comfortable).

See what Jesus says about the love of anything in this world, and if that's what you want,
or if you want to be able to become a son of YHWH. (can't do both)

...Can I ask God to bless my job/business so that I will earn a lot of money?

Reactions: JESUS=G.O.A.T
Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Sure you can. But you'd be "asking amiss" (James 4:3). The key to it all is this: Matthew 6:33 that's why Joseph and Job were "added unto", as it were. The true heavenly economy is based on the treasure of immeasurable worth: wisdom: Proverbs 3:15, Proverbs 8:9-11. Even Job knew the secret: Job 28:18, see? Proverbs 16:16

Upvote 0

TurtleAnne

Dec 25, 2016
Michigan U.S.
✟20,919.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
James 4: Where do wars and fights come from among you? Do they not come from your desires for pleasure that war in your members? You lust and do not have. You murder and covet and cannot obtain. You fight and war. Yet you do not have because you do not ask. You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures.

1 John 5: Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him.

Luke 11: Now it came to pass, as He was praying in a certain place, when He ceased, that one of His disciples said to Him, “Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples.” So He said to them, “When you pray, say: Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done On earth as it is in heaven.

My personal interpretation of the various verses on prayer in the Bible, are that prayer serves the following purposes:

1. Seeking guidance on resisting satan, and following God's will instead.
2. Seeking guidance on understanding God's will.
3. Seeking help in carrying out God's will.

Not asking for a list of things like a list of desired presents to santa claus.

If I am recalling the story of Job correctly, he was a very righteous man but had also been blessed with a lot of earthly wealth. The challenge put forth by satan was that Job was only faithful to God because Job had a lot of earthly wealth. In order to demonstrate what faith actually is, God allowed everything Job had to be taken/destroyed/etc, even Job's own physical health. Job demonstrated actual faith towards God until Job was on the verge of breaking, at which point God interacted with Job, increased Job's wisdom and gave Job his earthly wealth back, plus some. Job was used to demonstrate not that God will give everyone who is faithful a bunch of earthly wealth, but to demonstrate faith even when earthly wealth is completely lost.

• Winner
Reactions: JESUS=G.O.A.T
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
You can, but don't be surprised if He doesn't give you precisely what you asked for.
True, so true.

Actually somewhere it is actually written something like that:

God tests those who call on Him, and gives them a temptation of wealth to see if they will take it and fall away from Him.
Most people do.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Yes, and if it is His will, He will do it. Just remember, and I am not saying this to be funny... but He isn't a genie whose bottle or belly we rub so that He might do our bidding for us. We serve Him... so whatever He gives us is because it is His will and nothing more. :)

Upvote 0

EinsteinsGirl

NEWLY WED! - Child of a Genius!
Feb 5, 2013
✟19,151.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Sure you can ASK Him for anything...... doesn't mean you'll get it.

If you want to go through all the tribulation Job went through in order to get "double for your trouble" you can always ask for that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Just remember that we should always ask for God's will to be done. He knows what is best for you spiritually. I think it is fine for us to ask God for our daily needs to be met (see the Lord's Prayer), but I personally would not ask God to make me rich. Ask for a steady job or for you to do the best you can do in your job. Ask for
God to direct you to the correct job.ask for God to provide for your family. Asking God to make you rich would, however, be asking amiss as the others pointed out already.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Is the purpose of Christianity to build up wealth here on earth or to store our riches in heaven?

Ask for wisdom, guidance, but a bountiful life isn't something we are guaranteed.

Clearing it in 3 years time is a goal. Asking God to help you be wise in finances is fine, or for Him to help you provide for your family's needs.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have never been to Canada, USA, New Zealand,
and I wish I can go there for holidays with my family one day.
I need money to fulfill this dream.
Can I pray for God to give me enough money for this wish?

You can do whatever you want, but I don't think that is right. At least add the "Thy will be done" part to your prayer if you pray for that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

Our main purpose is to glorify God. That is what serves us best. We also are to serve our neighbor.

While money can be used in service of both those things, it is unnecessary.

Matt 6:33

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

Tull

Aug 13, 2016
Virginia
✟29,416.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My question is why God ever created any kind of wealth to begin with if no one is supposed to have any in any real abundance,i always figured heaven would be one of two things,either you have everything you want or you don't want anything,it would have to be one or the other to be heaven.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jesus_is_Saint

Sep 4, 2016
Malaysia
✟47,272.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
First, I do not think God wants us to live in poverty. Poverty will deprive a person of dignity.
Second, greed is evil, money is not evil, money is just a medium for exchange of things.
Third, God is our Abba Father, if you want (not need) extra money to do something not evil, but you think you have come to your limitation of ability to earn that amount of money through your usual job, therefore you need a miracle from God to obtain that money, you can ask God to bless you, and you promise not to feel pride and forget His blessing. It is Ok to ask for wealth from God.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
First, I do not think God wants us to live in poverty. Poverty will deprive a person of dignity.
Second, greed is evil, money is not evil, money is just a medium for exchange of things.
Third, God is our Abba Father, if you want (not need) extra money to do something not evil, but you think you have come to your limitation of ability to earn that amount of money through your usual job, therefore you need a miracle from God to obtain that money, you can ask God to bless you, and you promise not to feel pride and forget His blessing. It is Ok to ask for wealth from God.

If you already know what you feel, then why ask for advice? Asking for a half million dollars is a lot of money. Wanting to travel to 3 continents is something most people can't do. That said, ask for it if you want, just remember to add the "Thy will be done" part. Jesus asked for the cup to be passed over Him, but He also said "but Thy will be done". That is an important part of prayer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0