can I ask a question without being slammed?

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I keep hearing people talk about "gay rights" "transgender rights" etc. I personally tend to take people at their word rather than try to read into everything therefore I do not understand how a gay person or a transgender person or a black person or any other group of people you want to divide us into has different rights than everyone else. Can someone please explain? According to the constitution we all have the same rights, the Right to LIFE, LIBERTY, and the PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS. When did we add more rights to certain groups and how does not making something a law constitute the removal of those rights? If you are gay for example and you had one of the three rights taken from you, fight for that right not some law change that makes you feel empowered or at least call it empowerment not a right. Or am I missing some right that is exclusive to them...?

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I keep hearing people talk about "gay rights" "transgender rights" etc. I personally tend to take people at their word rather than try to read into everything therefore I do not understand how a gay person or a transgender person or a black person or any other group of people you want to divide us into has different rights than everyone else. Can someone please explain? According to the constitution we all have the same rights, the Right to LIFE, LIBERTY, and the PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS. When did we add more rights to certain groups and how does not making something a law constitute the removal of those rights? If you are gay for example and you had one of the three rights taken from you, fight for that right not some law change that makes you feel empowered or at least call it empowerment not a right. Or am I missing some right that is exclusive to them...?

There is "discernment" and "discrimination" and society has noted and decided that some of it is fair, and some of it not. There are 100's of ways "business people" may discriminate between who they choose for customers, or who they choose as employees.

Some of those are allowed, and some are "protected classes". There are no black and white rules for discriminating, so we've had to formalize some of them in writing.

You may still fire someone for many reasons.

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian

Yes, we all have the same rights, but it's fringe groups that test the limits of those rights (such as gay marriage) which us normal people would never engage in.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The basic idea is that people's rights (common to all) shouldn't be trampled because they're gay or black or whatever.

So, for example, people are supposed to have equal protection under the law. If you're gay and get beaten or killed and the authorities say "well, whatever", that's a violation of your right to be treated as other people are treated under the law.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Society, after decades and even centuries of persecution, has finally recognized that these are people too and just like the rest of us. They are not being given rights that anyone else is denied. However there is a segment of society with a sense of entitlement that resent this leveling of the playing field.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is "discernment" and "discrimination" and society has noted and decided that some of it is fair, and some of it not. There are 100's of ways "business people" may discriminate between who they choose for customers, or who they choose as employees.

Some of those are allowed, and some are "protected classes". There are no black and white rules for discriminating, so we've had to formalize some of them in writing.

You may still fire someone for many reasons.
which of the rights is violated? Life? Liberty? pursuit of happiness? What of the rights of the business people?

Look, my question is not about what is or is not right to do, but what "gay rights" are and how they differ from everyone elses rights?

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes, we all have the same rights, but it's fringe groups that test the limits of those rights (such as gay marriage) which us normal people would never engage in.

I am a normal person and you are too but so are all those "fringe group" people. Nobody has ever tried to force me into a gay marriage. Has that happened to you?

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Here in San Diego all gays have all of the same rights afforded others.
Yet, they cry in the streets that they have none.
Personally I don't care what they do as long as it ain't in my yard.
If we let them have everything they wanted
they would have open sex in our City Parks.
Actually, I worked for the San Diego Parks Department
and some of the things I witnessed should be kept at home.
Although for the ones who believe in God
He also sees those acts of perversion.
M-Bob

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The basic idea is that people's rights (common to all) shouldn't be trampled because they're gay or black or whatever.

So, for example, people are supposed to have equal protection under the law. If you're gay and get beaten or killed and the authorities say "well, whatever", that's a violation of your right to be treated as other people are treated under the law.
where does the constitution give the right of "fair treatment" written? Unless of course you understand that as Trey Gowdy says, the law is to be equal for everyone but that isn't a right, it's an understanding that comes from the rights that are guaranteed. In fact, there is no such thing as "Fair" treatment since what is fair is a fluid term...what is just might be an issue but it isn't a right...who again I ask what rights and how do they differ and since some of you all seem to think that the rights are not the rights given in the constitution, why do fringe groups get more "rights" than the rest of us?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Society, after decades and even centuries of persecution, has finally recognized that these are people too and just like the rest of us. They are not being given rights that anyone else is denied. However there is a segment of society with a sense of entitlement that resent this leveling of the playing field.
that is the question? What rights are denied? Life, liberty, or the pursuit of happiness and how was it denied?

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
which of the rights is violated? Life? Liberty? pursuit of happiness? What of the rights of the business people?

Look, my question is not about what is or is not right to do, but what "gay rights" are and how they differ from everyone elses rights?

14th Amendment:
No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States...

Allowing some couples to get married while denying this to others is an abridgement of the privileges of those others.

• Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

They are the rights of people not to be discriminated against on the basis
of who they may be having sex with, (or thought to be having sex with.)

This may or may not have happened to you, but you may cross-dress someday
and it could be a law you may use so you could buy a wedding cake or move into an upscale apartment while cross dressing or holding hands with your sister, or brother.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
14th Amendment:
No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States...

Allowing some couples to get married while denying this to others is an abridgement of the privileges of those others.
hum...so we should allow siblings to marry? Parents to marry their children? My point is that I don't think that is an accurate interpretation of that statement...

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, I guess if you don't believe in fair treatment in any form and think it would be ok for cops to shake some people down for money while protecting others from crime, then these arguments aren't going to convince you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
They are the rights of people not to be discriminated against on the basis
of who they may be having sex with, (or thought to be having sex with.)

This may or may not have happened to you, but you may cross-dress someday
and it could be a law you may use so you could buy a wedding cake or move into an upscale apartment while cross dressing or holding hands with your sister, or brother.
how where they discriminated against when it comes to "Rights" and how did they not discriminate against others by demanding their way?

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, I guess if you don't believe in fair treatment in any form and think it would be ok for cops to shake some people down for money while protecting others from crime, then these arguments aren't going to convince you.
as I said, I am not asking if something is right or wrong I am asking what constitutional right is being infringed upon....

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If you're in a marriage-like relationship but can't get married, you are thereby denied the legal protections afforded ro married couples.

How is it discrimination against others for (in this case) gay people to say "hey, our rights should not be denied"?

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
as I said, I am not asking if something is right or wrong I am asking what constitutional right is being infringed upon....

14th Amendment. Right to equal protection.

• Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0