Can Evangelicalism Survive Donald Trump and Roy Moore?

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I became a Christian in college, in the early nineteen-seventies, the word “evangelical” still meant an alternative to the fortress mentality of fundamentalism. Shortly thereafter, I went to Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, to prepare for the Presbyterian ministry. It was one of the many institutions that Graham, Harold Ockenga, and J. Howard Pew, and other neo-evangelicals, as they were sometimes called, established. In those years, there was such great energy in the movement that, by the mid-nineteen-nineties, it had eclipsed mainline Protestantism as the dominant branch of the Christian church in the U.S. When I moved to Manhattan to start a new church, in 1989, most people I met found the church and its ministry to be a curiosity in secular New York but not a threat. And, if they heard the word “evangelical” around the congregation, a name we seldom used, they usually asked what it meant.Today, while the name is no longer unfamiliar in my city, its meaning has changed drastically. The conservative leaders who have come to be most identified with the movement have largely driven this redefinition. But political pollsters have also helped, as they have sought to highlight a crucial voting bloc. When they survey people, there is no discussion of any theological beliefs, or other criteria. The great majority of them simply ask people, “Would you describe yourself as a born-again or evangelical Christian?” And those who answer ‘yes’ are counted. More than eighty per cent of such people voted for Donald Trump, and, last week, a similar percentage cast their ballots for Roy Moore, in the Alabama Senate race. So, in common parlance, evangelicals have become people with two qualities: they are both self-professed Christians and doggedly conservative politically.
The fury and incredulity of many in the larger population at this constituency has mounted. People who once called themselves the “Moral Majority” are now seemingly willing to vote for anyone, however immoral, who supports their political positions. The disgust has come to include people within the movement itself. Earlier this month, Peter Wehner, an Op-Ed writer for the Times who served in the last three Republican Administrations, wrote a widely circulated piece entitled “Why I Can No Longer Call Myself an Evangelical Republican.” Many younger believers and Christians of color, who had previously identified with evangelicalism, have also declared their abandonment of the label. “Evangelical” used to denote people who claimed the high moral ground; now, in popular usage, the word is nearly synonymous with “hypocrite.” When I used the word to describe myself in the nineteen-seventies, it meant I was not a fundamentalist. If I use the name today, however, it means to hearers that I am.
interesting article.And in case anyone is curious who the author is:
Tim Keller (pastor) - Wikipedia
Timothy J. Keller (born September 23, 1950) is an American pastor, theologian and Christian apologist. He is best known as the founding pastor of Redeemer Presbyterian Church in New York City, New York, and the author of The New York Times bestselling books The Prodigal God: Recovering the Heart of the Christian Faith (2008),[1] Prayer: Experiencing Awe and Intimacy with God (2014),[2] and The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism (2008).[3][4] The prequel for the latter is Making Sense of GOD: An Invitation to the Skeptical (2016).[5]
tulc(knows people like to know those things) :wave:

Reactions: Searching1God

CodyFaith

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Labeling is rather silly. Evangelism, fundamentalism, etc., etc.

Preach the truth. That Christ died for sinners, and whoever believes in Jesus has eternal life.

I mean, label yourself all you want, but to me this labeling business just seems to give people an excuse to persecute those who preach the truth.
"Oh, you preach the gospel? So you're one of those evangelistic Christians then?:rolleyes:"
"Oh you believe the earth was created in 6 literal days? You must be a fundie then, huh?:rolleyes:"

Reminds me when people say they aren't against Jews, just Zionism, and use that to cover over their obvious antisemitism.

• Agree
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,049.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The fury and incredulity of many in the larger population at this constituency has mounted. People who once called themselves the “Moral Majority” are now seemingly willing to vote for anyone, however immoral, who supports their political positions.
That's what Democrats asked them to do in the Clinton years. Be careful what you wish for.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's what Democrats asked them to do in the Clinton years. Be careful what you wish for.
...is that why most of the people accused of sexual misconduct who resign are Democrats and the ones who don't are Republicans? Heck Roy Moore wont even admit he lost the election let alone admitting his proclivities! :sorry:
tulc(wonders who actually read the article before posting?) :scratch:

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,082.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Even though Timothy Kellor is of a very different theological persuasion, he is still a Christian of integrity and I respect his opinions.

I too wish "evangelical" were not a dirty word. It's in our denomination's name, so it's frustrating to have to explain to people that "evangelical" does not necessarily mean "had a decision for Jesus moment and then became a right wing republican brooding with resentment". No, evangelical means we believe the Gospel is the heart of the Church.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Even though Timothy Kellor is of a very different theological persuasion, he is still a Christian of integrity and I respect his opinions.

I too wish "evangelical" were not a dirty word. It's in our denomination's name, so it's frustrating to have to explain to people that "evangelical" does not necessarily mean "had a decision for Jesus moment and then became a right wing republican brooding with resentment". No, evangelical means we believe the Gospel is the heart of the Church.

Keller's Generous Justice is quite illuminating, and I think you'll like it very well.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,082.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I've read some of his books in the past. He has alot of thoughtful insights, even if I don't agree with every bit of the stances of his church on social issues. He's one conservative evangelical that doesn't totally creep me out and make me wonder what bushel he hid his lamp under.

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've read some of his books in the past. He has alot of thoughtful insights, even if I don't agree with every bit of the stances of his church on social issues. He's one conservative evangelical that doesn't totally creep me out and make me wonder what bushel he hid his lamp under.

Keller and Max Lucado both were among the 500 evangelicals that signed a protest put into a full page ad in the Post and Times way back in Feb or March to protest Trump's immigration ban early on.

One has to like that, that real-deal quality of following Christ. I would not pigeonhole them, but think of them as unique individuals that seem to be more about Christ than some political ideology.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

interesting article.And in case anyone is curious who the author is:
Tim Keller (pastor) - Wikipedia

tulc(knows people like to know those things) :wave:

Things that aren’t true become true in peoples’ minds through trust in the source and repetition. To badly paraphrase James Baldwin the stink of dodgy ideas gets wrapped up in the thinking of people who don’t question them, so I think it’s unlikely that the effects of all the truth bending won’t weaken those churches caught up in it.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,049.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
...is that why most of the people accused of sexual misconduct who resign are Democrats and the ones who don't are Republicans? Heck Roy Moore wont even admit he lost the election let alone admitting his proclivities! :sorry:
tulc(wonders who actually read the article before posting?) :scratch:
Do you have a list of each?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums