can christians smoke weed

Is it okay to get drunk?

Once in awhile I think it is ok, like a party or celebration.

You will probably disagree with me here, but in John 2, why did Jesus turn water into wine for people that already drank all of the other available wine? Six stone jars each holding 20-30 gallons of wine, so up to 180 gallons of wine for a wedding! Can you say wow? But I do think alcohol addiction is wrong, but getting hammered a couple times a year I dont see a problem with.

Anyways, I dont know what that has to do with weed, but weed is legal for medical purposes. I use it for pain and sleeping at night. I have used "prescription drugs" in the past for sleep and they gave me horrible side effects. A couple of vapor puffs of weed before I go to bed helps me sleep and has no side effects. Almost 20,000 people died last year because of accidental drug overdose, yet 0 people died last year from cannabis use alone.

Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything. Genesis 9:3

Upvote 0

Aibrean

Honest. Maybe too Honest.
Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟15,879.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Using John 2 is a weak argument. It does not say how quickly the wine was used up and if the people were drunk. Elsewhere in the Bible it is very clear about not being drunk and being of a sound mind.

I don't have an issue with any drug that enables you to be in control of your mind, body, and other senses. If you can't make decisions, can't operate a vehicle, etc I have issues with it. It's why I won't take Vicodin.

Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything. Genesis 9:3

How do you digest what is only inhaled?

Upvote 0

Bella Vita

Sailor in the U.S.N
May 18, 2011
✟10,239.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Unless you have cancer or glaucoma and have a medical card to get weed no you can't. You are breaking the law weed is illegal in this country. And if you break the laws then you disobey God he tells us to follow the laws always unless they go against his law. A Christian should set an example and if you are smoking pot you are not setting an example you are getting high impairing your judgment no different than getting drunk. And you are doing it illegally so no a Christian does not smoke pot.

Upvote 0

Blueforest

Created well and commanded to be sick
Jun 10, 2011
✟1,191.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Unless you have cancer or glaucoma and have a medical card to get weed no you can't. You are breaking the law weed is illegal in this country. And if you break the laws then you disobey God he tells us to follow the laws always unless they go against his law. A Christian should set an example and if you are smoking pot you are not setting an example you are getting high impairing your judgment no different than getting drunk. And you are doing it illegally so no a Christian does not smoke pot.

Not in my country. In Canada, the law is a lot more open to that junk.

Not my thing, but just stating a fact.

And society's laws does always support God's laws. Society says gay marriage is good, adultery is fine, child murder is good and teaching the bible in school is wrong. It's also totally legal for women to walk around topless where I live. Is that right?

Upvote 0

Bella Vita

Sailor in the U.S.N
May 18, 2011
✟10,239.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Not in my country. In Canada, the law is a lot more open to that junk.

Not my thing, but just stating a fact.

And society's laws does always support God's laws. Society says gay marriage is good, adultery is fine, child murder is good and teaching the bible in school is wrong. It's also totally legal for women to walk around topless where I live. Is that right?

Why do you think I said follow the law unless it goes against God's law then follow God's law first.

Upvote 0

Blueforest

Jun 10, 2011
✟1,191.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Why do you think I said follow the law unless it goes against God's law then follow God's law first.

Okay. When you say God's law, which one do you mean? The bible says nothing of smoking pot, walking around topless or things of that manner. It does, however, condone polygamy, wars and killings at times though. I find it laughable when Christians say that all morality is absolute when even the bible says that it is not.

Upvote 0

Bella Vita

Sailor in the U.S.N
May 18, 2011
✟10,239.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Okay. When you say God's law, which one do you mean? The bible says nothing of smoking pot, walking around topless or things of that manner. It does, however, condone polygamy, wars and killings at times though. I find it laughable when Christians say that all morality is absolute when even the bible says that it is not.

Lets look at scripture on this...

Follow the law of the land pot is illegal

Rom. 13:1-5 Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment. For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval, for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer. Therefore one must be in subjection, not only to avoid God's wrath but also for the sake of conscience.

It is harmful to the body

I Cor. 3:16-17 Do you not know that you1 are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you? If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him. For God's temple is holy, and you are that temple.

We are also, as Christians, in a constant spiritual battle against Satan (Eph. 6:12). No person goes into battle unprepared, especially Christians. Marijuana's psychological effects include but are not limited to: paranoia, anxiety, fatigue, loss of ambition, lowered inhibitions, loss of concentration, and delusions and hallucinations; not exactly the traits of a godly warrior.​
When we realize that Satan is roaming around, seeking to "devour" us (I Pet. 5:8) and that we must be "self-controlled and alert", we must also realize that anything which weakens our resolve or chips away at the armor that God has given us is evil.

I Thess. 5:22 tells us to abstain from the very APPEARANCE of evil. Phil. 4:8 tells us what to think on as Christians and since we usually end up DOING what we think about, this is an excellent scripture for this topic. Finally, Col. 3:5 tells us to put to death whatever belongs to our earthly nature. If we have died to self and live in Christ, we will not allow anything other than God to gain control of our lives. Marijuana WILL take over your life if you let it. I hope I've helped you and I hope you will continue to stand up for what is right and listen to scripture.

Upvote 0

Avniel

Doing my part each day by being the best me
Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I just want to know where in the bible it says weed is bad...........The bible has everything else homosexuality, drunkards, arrogants, idiots, how to qaurantine the sick the list goes on the one sin that isn't mentioned in the Bible is weed o__0 yea right.

Genesis 1:29

I don't follow man made laws as to whats sin and whats not I follow the law because the bible says to do so but if smoking were legal yeah I would smoke weed in a leaf or bamboo high grade to straight from yard.

Upvote 0

Blueforest

Jun 10, 2011
✟1,191.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private

Follow the law of the land pot is illegal

Not where I live.

Rom. 13:1-5 Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment. For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval, for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer. Therefore one must be in subjection, not only to avoid God's wrath but also for the sake of conscience.

So is fast food. Your point...?

I Cor. 3:16-17 Do you not know that you1 are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you? If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him. For God's temple is holy, and you are that temple.

We are also, as Christians, in a constant spiritual battle against Satan (Eph. 6:12). No person goes into battle unprepared, especially Christians. Marijuana's psychological effects include but are not limited to: paranoia, anxiety, fatigue, loss of ambition, lowered inhibitions, loss of concentration, and delusions and hallucinations; not exactly the traits of a godly warrior.

You could say the same for the "evils" of alcohol, yet most Christians drink.

When we realize that Satan is roaming around, seeking to "devour" us (I Pet. 5:8) and that we must be "self-controlled and alert", we must also realize that anything which weakens our resolve or chips away at the armor that God has given us is evil.

So basically everything is evil. The internet is evil too, then. We should all become monks in seclusion so we do not give in to the devil then. It is the only way.

I Thess. 5:22 tells us to abstain from the very APPEARANCE of evil. Phil. 4:8 tells us what to think on as Christians and since we usually end up DOING what we think about, this is an excellent scripture for this topic. Finally, Col. 3:5 tells us to put to death whatever belongs to our earthly nature. If we have died to self and live in Christ, we will not allow anything other than God to gain control of our lives. Marijuana WILL take over your life if you let it. I hope I've helped you and I hope you will continue to stand up for what is right and listen to scripture.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

We are also, as Christians, in a constant spiritual battle against Satan (Eph. 6:12). No person goes into battle unprepared, especially Christians. Marijuana's psychological effects include but are not limited to: paranoia, anxiety, fatigue, loss of ambition, lowered inhibitions, loss of concentration, and delusions and hallucinations; not exactly the traits of a godly warrior.​

Can you find me somewhere anywhere online about someone dying last year from smoking cannabis use alone? Because I cant. I did find lots of people dying last year from obesity...hmm wonder if we should ban McDonalds.

Upvote 0

Blueforest

Jun 10, 2011
✟1,191.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Context Blue...polygamy was only condoned for a while in order for man to populate the earth. War and killings were allowed because people sinned against God (punishment).

So, we can rationalize killing babies for religious purposes then? Okay.

I think it's clear anything can be rationalized as long as religion tells us something is okay. (See fundamentalist Islam for more examples.)

Upvote 0

Blueforest

Jun 10, 2011
✟1,191.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Can you find me somewhere anywhere online about someone dying last year from smoking cannabis use alone? Because I cant. I did find lots of people dying last year from obesity...hmm wonder if we should ban McDonalds.

I agree.

How many fat, unhealthy Christians do I see on a weekly basis! They stuff themselves, like gluttonous pigs that have not eaten in a month, while children in their own neighborhoods go hungry! Hypocrites.

Upvote 0

Bella Vita

Sailor in the U.S.N
May 18, 2011
✟10,239.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

No people don't die from pot but they die from the effects on their lungs just like cigarettes. You can't overdose on it but it has longer term effects. And I agree Mcdonalds is bad for our body in excess everything should be in moderation as to not harm ourselves. Your totally missing the point Christians need to set an example and by doing drugs they aren't plain and simple. Sorry that Mcdonalds still doesn't fit into that same context.

Upvote 0

Bella Vita

Sailor in the U.S.N
May 18, 2011
✟10,239.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't know how anyone can even argue this it is a drug a mind altering drug therefore not god for a professing Christian follower of Christ. Would Jesus smoke pot with all his buddies no so we shouldn't either hands down there is no argument here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aibrean

Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟15,879.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
So, we can rationalize killing babies for religious purposes then? Okay.

I think it's clear anything can be rationalized as long as religion tells us something is okay. (See fundamentalist Islam for more examples.)

In the OT the sins of the fathers passed through generations. It's not "religious". It's in the Bible. You do believe the Bible, don't you?

Upvote 0

Aibrean

Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟15,879.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Plenty of sources where people died in car accidents because they were high on cannabis.

Here's something more direct:

Coroner blames death on 'toxic cannabis' - Telegraph

Upvote 0
Plenty of sources where people died in car accidents because they were high on cannabis.

Here's something more direct:

Coroner blames death on 'toxic cannabis' - Telegraph

I said "last" year, this is 2009 :)

Also lots of people die in car accidents because they have head aches. I was trying to point out that your comment on "treating your body as a temple" would be better aimed at people eating McDonalds and drinking coffee at Starbucks.

Upvote 0
No people don't die from pot but they die from the effects on their lungs just like cigarettes. You can't overdose on it but it has longer term effects. And I agree Mcdonalds is bad for our body in excess everything should be in moderation as to not harm ourselves. Your totally missing the point Christians need to set an example and by doing drugs they aren't plain and simple. Sorry that Mcdonalds still doesn't fit into that same context.

Setting an example? To who? I do it sometimes before I go to bed to help me sleep! I have taken "prescription" drugs in the past that have given me horrible side effects, should I stay on those even though they are hurting my body?

This isn't some everyday use kind of thing, maybe once or twice a month to numb the pain and help me sleep. I have had to go in 3 different times to get my wisdom teeth pulled out and they gave me "laughing" gas! Now that is mind altering. I mean, I could have went without the gas, but it sure helped the pain and made me relax. But Christians wouldnt view that as a sin would they? Cannabis has this bad stigma attached to it and people think it is evil, but God created the plant(man created prescription drugs).

Plus I use a vaporizer so I dont inhale any smoke or I can make cookies out of it(i bet the butter in the cookies kills me before the cannabis does lol). Also cannabis smoke is nowhere near as harmful as cigarettes.

I use to be totally against cannabis my whole life but it wasnt until I learnt more about it that I became aware about how safe it is.

Upvote 0

Aibrean

Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟15,879.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I said "last" year, this is 2009 :)

Also lots of people die in car accidents because they have head aches. I was trying to point out that your comment on "treating your body as a temple" would be better aimed at people eating McDonalds and drinking coffee at Starbucks.

Just because it's not published in the news doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Show me where someone died because they were fat. It's easy to show the results of being fat killing you, just like getting high and driving.

Upvote 0