• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Can Christians smoke and drink beer?

Discussion in 'Christian Advice' started by Jesus_is_Saint, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Jesus_is_Saint

Jesus_is_Saint Well-Known Member

+163
    Protestant
    Married
    Can Christians smoke and drink beer?
    Maybe 1 package of cigarette per day, 1 pint of beer per day.
    Is that allowable?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. ~Anastasia~

~Anastasia~ † Servant of God † Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+15,537
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Why would anyone ask how close they can walk to the edge without falling over? Is that wise?

That said, several principles apply. We are obligated to care for our bodies.

But in spite of what many teach, and often need to wrangle the Scriptures in an attempt to prove - drinking alcohol isn't a sin. Christ turned water into wine at the wedding at Cana, and Paul advised Timothy to drink a little wine for the sake of his stomach. However - being drunk IS a sin.

Cigarettes serve no useful purpose, and are bad for the body in any amount, so if someone were to ask me, I think the correct thing to do is not to smoke.

But Christianity isn't meant to be a set of laws, do's and don'ts - rather it is a way of moving toward God and healing the damage done by sin. Still, smoking won't help this, nor will getting drunk. Restrained drinking of beer or wine isn't prohibited though.

(But I will say, we must know ourselves. If one has a tendency to alcoholism, for example, any amount of alcohol might be a poor choice for that person and should be avoided.)

(And just to answer in advance what folks will surely oppose - I am allergic to tobacco and so never smoked, and I don't really enjoy the taste of alcohol, so I generally go months without ever tasting any or it crossing my mind, then I might have a glass of wine with my husband on our anniversary or whatever - but I have no stake at all in justifying either of these things. This is simply what I believe, history supports, and the Scriptures teach. And I have no desire to debate.) :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. NothingIsImpossible

NothingIsImpossible Well-Known Member

+2,943
    Christian
    Married
    I'd say its a hard topic. To much of anything turns it into a sin. Whether it being making something an idol, addiction to it, abuse of it...etc. Most agree unless you get drunk or smoke a ton, its not a big deal. I'm mixed on it because even if someone feels its not a sin and not a big deal, your still harming your temple. Even if its one cig a day or one drink a day.

But then again eating/drinking to much/little of anything can harm your temple. When it comes to cigs/drinking I just stay away from it all together. Even if I never become addicted I still know its bad for the body. Not that I am judging if someone else smokes or drinks. We all have our vices and idols.

4. ewq1938

ewq1938 Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,202
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican

The bible does not address the issue of smoking. It says not to be a drunkard but says drinking in moderation is ok.

So, I say YES to both.

5. ewq1938

+4,202
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican

Nothing about drinking or smoking in that verse.

Pro 31:6 Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.
    Pro 31:7 Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.

6. ewq1938

+4,202
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    I doubt alcohol or cigs will exist in the eternity so I guess I agree with that part of your post. However, The saints of THIS LIFE might smoke and drink without condemnation.

7. Blindspot6

Blindspot6 New Member

+8
    Christian
    Married
    Smoking has always been bothering me in my mind being a Christian.
    I smoke and I always feel so guilty about it but I just don't have the strong will to stop. I rarely consume alcohol other than on special occasion and also very little of it.

It started when I went to college which is away from my home.
    No one couch to me it. Just that at time you feel so stress and lonely on the initial stage. You think you will kill some time with it telling yourself that you can stop if you wanted to. Sadly it turn out to be not true.

I have been smoking for the last 20+ years.
    I tried to stop couple of time but, like I said, I just don't have the strong will.

Or maybe another part inside of me refuse to let it go.
    I find cigarette like some kind of a companion to me, it relieve my tension and stress. Call it an excuses but that's how I feel.

8. ewq1938

+4,202
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Smoking cigs is not a moral issue regarding your eternal soul.

You should quit! But no one goes to hell for smoking.

9. ewq1938

+4,202
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican

It does not address human life nor drinking and smoking in this life.

10. Blindspot6

Blindspot6 New Member

+8
    Christian
    Married
    To me, somehow, I feel its a moral issue being a christian.

I know I should quit. I will have to try harder.

11. ewq1938

+4,202
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican

Can you explain why knowing any of that pertains to the discussed issue of drinking alcohol and smoking cigarettes?

12. Goatee

Goatee Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.

+3,558
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Divorced
    I have been consuming too much wine lately. I am very weak though.

13. Inkfingers

Inkfingers Somebody's heretic Supporter

+1,395
    United Kingdom
    Non-Denom
    Single
    As far as I can tell a drink is acceptable but drunkenness is not.

As for smoking, I would class that as recklessly destructive of the temple of the holy spirit.

For info: I smoked for a couple of years but quit, and I drink very moderately (at most a small glass of cognac at night or a glass of wine on a special occasion meal).

14. Armoured

Armoured So is America great again yet? Supporter

+13,799
    Catholic
    Married
    I don't think anyone can smoke beer, Christian or not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. Dave-W

Dave-W Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner! Supporter

+15,489
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    Indeed.

I heard a very interesting theological discussion in the summer of 1970 - at least interesting to my 15 year old ears. It was 2 teen age guys, both Southern Baptists AFAICT; one from a southern state and the other from the north. The southerner posited that if you did not smoke you could not be saved, while the northerner believed that if you DID smoke you could not be saved.

Neither had a shred of biblical support for their respective positions. What was so interesting was their attempts to twist scriptures to fit their arguments.

16. Dave-W

+15,489
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    My college roommate did. He used beer in a bong while he smoked dope.

17. Dave-W

+15,489
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    Gimme a break. You are judging 2 young teenage guys you know absolutely nothing about.

18. grasping the after wind

grasping the after wind That's grasping after the wind

+3,303
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    Au contraire
    Smoking Beer! - YouTube

19. Goatee

Goatee Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.

+3,558
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Divorced
    Wine is good for you. At least 2 bottles a day keeps the world away! kidding!

20. DawnStar

DawnStar Pragmatist

+785
    Unitarian
    Private
    All 613 of them?