Status
Not open for further replies.

suzie

Aug 1, 2002
Visit site
✟1,406.00
Faith
Christian
Hmmm you agree that we are saved by our walk and our walk is because we are saved. That is contradictory is it not?

Our salvation is a gift, so we cannot be saved by doing good deeds or that would be earning it by our merit. We cant keep our salvation cause is isnt ours to keep. We are not our own anymore, we belong to God.

Upvote 0

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
Hmmm you agree that we are saved by our walk and our walk is because we are saved. That is contradictory is it not?
No, we are not saved by our walk; we are saved by God's grace, through our faith. The entirity of the work of salvation was performed 2000 years ago on a Cross; he/she is saved who receives that gift (through belief).
Our salvation is a gift, so we cannot be saved by doing good deeds or that would be earning it by our merit.
True. Accurate. Correct...
We cant keep our salvation cause is isnt ours to keep. We are not our own anymore, we belong to God.
God will not "revoke our salvation" (Rm11:29). God has promised never to leave nor forsake us (Heb13:5). But the essence of salvation is BELIEF; and Scripture plainly says "we can be deceived away from belief by sin" (Jms1:14-16, Heb3:12-14, 1Tim4:1, Col2:8, 2Pet3:17). Paul writes in 2Tim2:11-13, "if we are faithless and He DENIES us, GOD remains faithful".

We do not "keep our salvation"; we "keep ourselves in the love of God, waiting anxiously for the mercy of Christ to eternal life." Jd21.

A gift must be received; salvation is the gift, we receive it by faith. Faith-to-salvation is belief-to-salvation is persevering is steadfastness is abiding-in-Christ. Receiving a gift is not a work, it changes nothing of the gift; Jn1:12 says salvation is receiving Jesus / believing in His name. Jn1:13 says that salvation is none of us, but "OF GOD".

Upvote 0

rnmomof7

Legend
Feb 9, 2002
Western NY
✟78,744.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ben johnson said:
RnMom, salvation is based on LOVE; undeserved. Grace is because He loved us. Love does not coerce; love only asks. God certainly has the power to FORCE people to believe --- but then what would be the fellowship? Love? No.

BEN ..listen REAL close OK :>)

For the thousandth time ..God forces no one ..
God frees us so we can come to him.

Unless God cuts the cords and frees our will we could never run to Him or want to choose Him.

Jer 31:3**
The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, [saying], Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.

It is not "forcing" it is freeing.

You do not think that it is Love that God would save any?

One more time Ben.

God did not make men because he was lonely, or because He needed fellowship. Creation is not nor was it ever about you and what you wanted or what would make you happy.
Creation was about showing forth the Glory of God.

Man was created to glorify God and enjoy Him forever

Rom. 9; 36. "Of him, and through
him, and to him, are all things; to whom be glory for ever." Cor. 10. 31. Whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God."

Often it seems that people think that God feels lucky to be love by the people He made. God does not and never did "need men ". He was content in Himself having perfect love and fellowship in the trinity .

He made man to manifest His glory.
He manifests His glory by his salvation of worthless unworthy men and His Justice in His judgment of the lost.

Mercy and Justice are flip sides of the same coin, you can not have one without the other. We only know Mercy because of His judgment.

Mercy is giving man what He does not deserve, justice is giving man his due.

God is not obliged to save any..that is Mercy. We can not appreciate Gods mercy unless we see His justice.
Your theology treats His justice as a joke, and His mercy as a reward.

Ben God owes us nothing but Hell.
And "PAS" may mean in some places "certain ones", but there is no way to rework passages like Rom5:18; had there BEEN an inequality between the two words "PAS", Paul would have STATED it; instead, he makes an exact EQUALITY.

So then are all men without exception justified by the cross..(Universalism)or does the all mean all that come?
I could easily be converted to Calvinism,[/quote} I do not think so Ben..you like being in charge too much.
if there was some way of understanding 2Pet2:20-22 to mean "THEY WERE NEVER SAVED"; but I know that in Greek it says "truly escaped through the saved-knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, but now really spiritually-turned-away from the faith".

Would you like to cite that source?

In Peter 2;20

Escaped is translated ...1) to flee from, escape (There is no TRULEY in the english or greek text)

Pollutions is translated 1) that which defiles, defilement

2) metaph., vices the foulness of which contaminates one in his intercourse with the ungodly mass of mankind

Knowledge is translated ... 1) precise and correct knowledge

a) used in the NT of the knowledge of things ethical and divine

There is nothing in this to indicate that they were saved.

In verse 21 the knowledge is defined this way

o become thoroughly acquainted with, to know thoroughly
to know accurately, know well

to know
to recognise
by sight, hearing, of certain signs, to perceive who a person is

to know i.e. to perceive
to know i.e. to find out, ascertain
to know i.e. to understand

Intellectual knowledge Ben There is nothing there of internalized knowledge .

They turned from the HOLY Commandment given to them..not from the grace of God given to them.

This is talking about the people that know the commandments and understand them and keep them by their will..
We see that all the time in the churches. People conform their behavior to the church and the people , but there was never an internal change. For a time they escape the draw of the world with self restraint.But eventually they can not longer do it.

At no time are these people called brethren, or beloved, they are never acknowledged as saved men.

Look at first Peter and see his theology of salvation

1Pe 1:1**
Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the strangers scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia,
1Pe 1:2**
Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.
1Pe 1:3**
Blessed [be] the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
1Pe 1:4**
To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,
1Pe 1:5**
Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

Preservation of the Saints

2*Peter 2:20

For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world,
&c.] The sins of it, the governing vices of it, which the men of the world are addicted to, and immersed in; for the whole world lies in wickedness, and which are of a defiling nature: the phrase is Rabbinical; it is said F17,

``he that studies not in the law in this world, but is defiled (amle ypwnjb) , "with the pollutions of the world", what is written of him? and they took him, and cast him without:''

these, men may escape, abstain from, and outwardly reform, with respect unto, and yet be destitute of the grace of God; so that this can be no instance of the final and total apostasy of real saints; for the house may be swept and garnished with an external reformation; persons may be outwardly righteous before men, have a form of godliness and a name to live, and yet be dead in trespasses and sins; all which they may have

through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.
The Vulgate Latin, and all the Oriental versions, read, our Lord, and the latter leave out, "and Saviour"; by which "knowledge" is meant, not a spiritual experimental knowledge of Christ, for that is eternal life, the beginning, pledge, and earnest of it; but a notional knowledge of Christ, or a profession of knowledge of him, for it may be rendered "acknowledgment"; or rather the Gospel of Christ, which, being only notionally received, may have such an effect on men, as outwardly to reform their lives, at least in some instances, and for a while, in whose hearts it has no place. Now if, after all this knowledge and reformation,
they are again entangled therein;
in the pollutions of the world, in worldly lusts, which are as gins, pits and snares: and overcome;
by them, so as to be laden with them, and led away, and entirely governed and influenced by them:
If there was some way to understand "brethren if any of you wander from the faith" as NEVER SAVED.

That is not what James 5;19-20 say Ben (that was your attribute in Sept.on the Rejected Christ after Salvation thread Post 172 )

Jam 5:19**
Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him;

Jam 5:20**
Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

Not even close to your reading Ben

If there was a way to see that "begun by the Spirit, WERE running WELL" either WERE NOT SAVED, or "fallen from grace and severed from Christ" does NOT mean "fallen/severed". I would embrace Calvinism if the "turn-away-from-God" verses (like Heb3:12-14, 12:25, 2:1-2, 2Pet3:17, Col2:8, 2Cor11:3, 1Tim4:1) could be made to fit "you can never REALLY fall". I could accept Limited Atonement if I could see "Savior of the WORLD" or "propitiation to the SAVED AND the WHOLE WORLD", or "Savior of ALL MEN, ABOVE ALL (malista) believers", or "justification to ALL MEN" or "let WHOSOEVER WILL take of the water of life FREELY" -- as interpretable to "LIMITED". I could be "secure in my eternal salvation" if there was some way of taking all the WARNINGS and satisfactorily understanding them as EMPTY-BUGBEAR (Col1:23, 2:8, 2Pet1:10, 3:14,17, 1Tim4:1,16, 2Pet1:10-11, Heb2:1-3, 3:12-14, 4:1, 6:4-6, 10, 12:25, 2Cor11:3, 13:5), on and on and on.
There was a time a couple of days ago I would have looked those up.

But it is pretty clear to any that read that you have a hard time seeing what is there , preferring to render your own words and meanings.
Calvinists have failed to convince me of their way to understand all these verses, and more. We seem to have reached an IMPASS --- I post verses that speak of "Jesus died for ALL", you (Calvinists) say "it's only SOME"; I show verses that say "will" and "desire" and "want", you say "of COURSE they want evil they must be CHANGED FIRST"; but rebuke after rebuke is given --- to whom? To those that CANNOT repent? Does that make SENSE? Yes, to Calvinists, it does.
Ben we could have brought Jesus right here to the forum and like those that hung him...you would never believe the words from His mouth .

I do love you, RnMom; and you, Woody, and Frumanchu, and CDL, and ABIC, and Mounts, and Calgal and all my Calvinistic brothers and sisters; and Received and Romanbear and Sunbeam and all my OSNAS brethren. I desire for each of you exactly what I desire for me --- spiritual growth, Christlike maturity, that each of us be found in the center of His will. If we can agree on FELLOWSHIPPING with God, indwelt by Christ and the Holy Spirit, let's lay aside the differences and agree on love.

The most important aspect of our Christianity, at this juncture, is HARVEST.

Jesus said the most important thing was to preach the word Ben. What you are teaching is not the word. This is said to you in love, you can not teach what you do not know.

Some time ago I asked you if Jesus or the apostles were false teachers
Jhn 10:28And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any [man] pluck them out of my hand

Jhn 3:16**
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Jhn 5:24**
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
Jhn 6:27**
Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.

Jhn 10:28**
And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any [man] pluck them out of my hand.
Jhn 11:25**
Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

Jhn 17:2**
As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.

Rom 5:21**
That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.

Rom 6:23**
For the wages of sin [is] death; but the gift of God [is] eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

1Ti 1:16**
Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.

1Jo 2:25**
And this is the promise that he hath promised us, [even] eternal life.

1Jo 5:13**
These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

Jud 1:21**
Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.

Jhn 3:15**
That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

Jhn 4:14**
But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.

Jhn 5:24**
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

Jhn 6:37**
All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

Jhn 17:12**
While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.

Jhn 18:9**
That the saying might be fulfilled, which he spake, Of them which thou gavest me have I lost none.

Rom 8:1**
[There is] therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. **
1Sa 2:9**
He will keep the feet of his saints, and the wicked shall be silent in darkness; for by strength shall no man prevail.

Psa 37:28**
For the LORD loveth judgment, and forsaketh not his saints; they are preserved for ever: but the seed of the wicked shall be cut off.

Mar 13:22**
For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if [it were] possible, even the elect.

Rom 5:2**
By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

Rom 8:1**
[There is] therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Phl 1:6**
Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform [it] until the day of Jesus Christ:

2Th 2:13**
But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

1Pe 1:5**
Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

Hbr 7:25**
Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

1Jo 2:19**
They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would [no doubt] have continued with us: but [they went out], that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

1Jo 5:13**
These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

Jud 1:1**
Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to them that are sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ, [and] called:

**Deu 33:3**
Yea, he loved the people; all his saints [are] in thy hand: and they sat down at thy feet; [every one] shall receive of thy words.

**2Ti 1:12**
For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.

Hbr 7:25**
Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

1Cr 10:13**
There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God [is] faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear [it].

Reactions: eldermike
Upvote 0

suzie

Aug 1, 2002
Visit site
✟1,406.00
Faith
Christian
I do not hold to the Calvinist doctrine of belief, no matter how much they win the prize for the longest posts (well, maybe tied with some Catholics)

The entirity of the work of salvation was performed 2000 years ago on a Cross; he/she is saved who receives that gift (through belief
Amen

Once we are saved we are sealed to eternity. We cant become unsaved. We are part of the family and will inherit the eternal kingdom. We can still sin and break fellowship with God, we will still suffer consequences of our sin we commit, however, we are not bound to sin and our desire is no longer to live for ourselves but to please God.

Upvote 0

rnmomof7

Legend
Feb 9, 2002
Western NY
✟78,744.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Romanbear said:
Hi Rnmomof7;
a quote from you;

LOL I didn't express being regenerated before Salvation you did. The word "regenerated" means born again to be made new this does not happen before faith and you haven't got one scripture that says it does. This is only your assumption.

That is right I did . I was telling you the doctrine that you do not understand Ray.

How can a dead man excise saving faith? How can a dead man read and believe ?

No man can see or desire the Kingdom of God UNTILL he is regenerated.

Eph 2:1**
And you [hath he quickened], who were dead in trespasses and sins;

The word quickened means to have life. Here Paul tells us that God gave us new life WHILE we were still DEAD in trespass and sin

Before repenting and believing (or the sin would be forgiven)

Eph 2:4**
But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
Eph 2:5**
Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)

Eph 2:5**
Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ,
(by grace ye are saved;)

Eph 5:14**
Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.

Jhn 5:21**
For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth [them]; even so the Son quickeneth whom he will.

Jhn 5:25**
Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

Jhn 6:63**
It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing:
the words that I speak unto you, [they] are spirit, and [they] are life.

Tts 3:5**
Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

Salvation is of God Ray..not you or me or our work..
You base your being unable to respond to the scriptures on romans 3:11 but in Romans 3:10 it shows that this is a quote from Paslms 14 and 53 which clearly says that these things are what a fool has said in his heart.

Are you saying that God has changed and that the OT is no longer true?

Do you believe that the NT was written under the INSPIRATION of the Holy Spirit ? What does that mean to you? Does it not mean that the holy Spirit brought to the author the words God desired Him to say?

Do we then throw out all the OT Quotations that were given by Jesus?

All the unsaved are fools Ray.
Pro 1:7**
The fear of the LORD [is] the beginning of knowledge: [but] fools despise wisdom and instruction. .

Many fools around Ray !

God wanted those words right where they were. That is what inspiration means .
I realize that the NIV uses quotation marks where he says there is no God. But in the original there are no quotation marks. Where does the quotation stop?. After he has finished saying what the fool has said which is also that man doesn't seek God and can't hear or understand.
Read my last post to Fru post #1492.
In Christ;
Romanbear

It ends right where the Holy Spirit ended it

Upvote 0

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
For the thousandth time ..God forces no one ..
God frees us so we can come to him.
Calvinism says "God changes their hearts, BEFORE they seek Him, BEFORE they believe. Calvinism says "belief flows from the changed heart"; Calvinism says "ONLY belief can flow from the 'God-changed-heart' " and "ONLY UNBELIEF can flow from the UNCHANGED heart". Please explain the difference between this, and "forced/coercive".
So then are all men without exception justified by the cross..(Universalism)or does the all mean all that come?
"SO THEN condemnation came to all men, EVEN SO justification came to all men. Death spread to all men because all sinned; those who RECEIVE the grace and WHO RECEIVE the gift of righteousness will reign with Jesus." Rom5:18, 12, 17. Which part of that is unclear?
Would you like to cite that source?
Go to an online Greek Bible, such as http://bible.crosswalk.com/InterlinearBible/ or www.blueletterbible.org, and simply compare the two passages.

2Pet1:1-4.. "Apopheugo-escaped corruption by the Epignosis-true-saved-knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ"
2Pet2:20-22 "Apopheugo-escaped defilements by the Epignosis-true-saved-knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ"
There is no way to contend that ch2 are UNSAVED, while recognizing that ch1 are SAVED.
You and I disagree on where "faith-to-salvation" comes from; you say "installed/instilled by God", I say "from convicted heart". I say "salvic-faith IS salvic-belief IS steadfastness IS persevering IS abiding-in-Christ". This is our disagreement...
these, men may escape, abstain from, and outwardly reform, with respect unto, and yet be destitute of the grace of God; so that this can be no instance of the final and total apostasy of real saints; for the house may be swept and garnished with an external reformation; persons may be outwardly righteous before men, have a form of godliness and a name to live, and yet be dead in trespasses and sins; all which they may have
And Yet Jesus says, "No one can serve two masters --- you will hate the one and love the other." Paul says in Rm6:15-18, "you are slaves of the one you obey; either of sin (resulting in death) or obedience resulting in righteousness. (Though you WERE slaves to sin you became OBEDIENT FROM THE HEART to the teaching to which you were committed, and freed from sin YOU BECAME SLAVES TO RIGHTEOUSNESS.)" Once more Paul asserts "obedience to righteousness comes from the HEART" (not divine instillation); and Paul boldly says "you are slaves to sin, OR slaves to righteousness."

Yet Calvinists deny that "ONTOS-APOPHEUGO-TRULY-ESCAPED" (Pet2:18) WERE truly escaped; they say "only FALESLY escaped, not REALLY." Flat contradicting Paul in Rom6:15-18, Jesus in Matt6:24, and Jesus in Matt7:16-20 ("NO BAD TREE produces GOOD FRUIT"). You can't have it both ways; Peter says THEY WERE SAVED.
Not even close to your reading Ben
I needn't search for what I said; because I am consistent.
"BRETHREN" --- saved Christians?
"IF ANY OF YOU" ---saved?
"WANDER FROM THE TRUTH" --- stumble, but not fall?
"SINNER WHO TURNS FROM ERROR SAVED PSUCHE-SOUL FROM THANATOS-DEATH"

There is no way to say "they were STUMBLED and in ERROR and SINNING but never lost SALVATION. Black-n-white, RnMom; either they were slaves to sin, or slaves to righteousness.
Predicted Response said:
"Oh how does it feel to be SINLESS, BEN?"
Ben is not sinless; Ben is a slave to righteousness, so he does not PRACTICE sin, he abides in Christ and abides in repentance; when Ben sins, his faith/belief convicts his heart, he abides in repentance and God forgives him.
There was a time a couple of days ago I would have looked those up.
But it is pretty clear to any who read that you have a hard time seeing what is there , preferring to render your own words and meanings.
I wish you would. And in "showing me my error", I hope you will keep in mind what we have just discussed about 2Peter. To remain in Calvinism, one must understand 2Peter2:20-22 as "EXCEPTION to the SIN-SLAVE or GOD-SLAVE principle", vs18wrong about TRULY-ESCAPED, vs21 wrong about HAVING-KNOWN-TO-HAVE-TURNED-AWAY --- they didn't REALLY know so they didn't REALLY turn away". BTW, "having known" uses "epiginosko"...
Jesus said the most important thing was to preach the word Ben. What you are teaching is not the word. This is said to you in love, you can not teach what you do not know.
Then SHOW me my error. Show me how the TRULY ESCAPED were NOT truly escaped, show me how they only APPEARED to escape defilements even though they were REALLY "slaves to sin" (and therefore, as the False ones in 2Pet2:14, NEVER CEASED FROM SIN, and 2Pet2:19 SLAVES of corruption); did they cease-from-sin and escape defilements, or not? How can a sin-slave APPEAR as a God-slave? Was Jesus WRONG that we CANNOT know them by their fruits? Was Jesus wrong and a BAD tree CAN produce good fruits?. Show me how "apopheugo-epignosis-kurios-soter" changes meanings from CH1 to CH2. Can you?

Upvote 0

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
I feel the same way. How can we adequately spread the Gospel, if we do not understand the essence or nature of that Gospel? At once I am torn; fully aware of the admonishment against "factions/dipsutes/dissentions", aware of the need to "fellowship in love in spite of disagreements", there is also "contending for the faith"; and "holding fast the faithful word which is in accordance to the teaching, that he may be able to both exhort in sound doctrine and refute those who contradict". Jd3, Titus1:9

Upvote 0

rnmomof7

Legend
Feb 9, 2002
Western NY
✟78,744.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
suzie said:
We walk our walk BECAUSE we are saved....

The Reformation Doctrine of the Preservation of the Saints agrees with that .
We are saved by grace and kept by grace.

OSAS is not correct rendering because it implies that one can say the sinners prayer and go on to live a life of debauchery.

The truely saved are kept by God .

So I "think" we agree on that

Upvote 0

rnmomof7

Legend
Feb 9, 2002
Western NY
✟78,744.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
suzie said:

That is not what he sad .He said that Because we are saved is why we walk .
The fruit does not give life to the tree, the tree gives life to the fruit
Our salvation is a gift, so we cannot be saved by doing good deeds or that would be earning it by our merit. We cant keep our salvation cause is isnt ours to keep. We are not our own anymore, we belong to God.

I would say that is correct. We are in Christ.

Upvote 0

rnmomof7

Legend
Feb 9, 2002
Western NY
✟78,744.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ben johnson said:
No, we are not saved by our walk; we are saved by God's grace, through our faith. The entirity of the work of salvation was performed 2000 years ago on a Cross; he/she is saved who receives that gift (through belief).

Ben you have never answered me..was anyone saved at the cross?

True. Accurate. Correct... God will not "revoke our salvation" (Rm11:29). God has promised never to leave nor forsake us (Heb13:5). But the essence of salvation is BELIEF; and Scripture plainly says "we can be deceived away from belief by sin" (Jms1:14-16, Heb3:12-14, 1Tim4:1, Col2:8, 2Pet3:17). Paul writes in 2Tim2:11-13, "if we are faithless and He DENIES us, GOD remains faithful".

Ben read Genesis 15 ..there you will see a picture of the covenant God has with his elect
We do not "keep our salvation"; we "keep ourselves in the love of God, waiting anxiously for the mercy of Christ to eternal life." Jd21.

Now how does one "keep himself in the love of God? Is it by good works?

What do you means awaiting the mercy of Christ..wasn't that given at the cross. If you have to do something to earn it or keep it it is not grace and it is not mercy
A gift must be received; salvation is the gift, we receive it by faith. Faith-to-salvation is belief-to-salvation is persevering is steadfastness is abiding-in-Christ. Receiving a gift is not a work, it changes nothing of the gift; Jn1:12 says salvation is receiving Jesus / believing in His name. Jn1:13 says that salvation is none of us, but "OF GOD".

I do not think you really want to quote John 1;12

Jhn 1:12**
But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, [even] to them that believe on his name:

Jhn 1:13**
Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

That is who "received Him"..those not born of the WILL OF MAN

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
I do not hold to the Calvinist doctrine of belief, no matter how much they win the prize for the longest posts (well, maybe tied with some Catholics)
Ben has made some pretty long posts... :o

There are 3 separate distinct views of OSAS; the book I've written (now polishing?) deals with all 3; they all assert "If they aren't saved NOW then they never were in the FIRST place!"

Your view is "Eternal Security"...

Once we are saved we are sealed to eternity. We cant become unsaved. We are part of the family and will inherit the eternal kingdom. We can still sin and break fellowship with God, we will still suffer consequences of our sin we commit, however, we are not bound to sin and our desire is no longer to live for ourselves but to please God.
Eph4:30 says "sealed unTO", not "sealed unTIL"; and Eph1:13 says "the seal of the Holy Spirit is founded on our belief". The crux of this debate is the question, "Can saved-belief, ever be deceived to unbelief?" Verses like Heb3:14, Col2:23, 2Pet3:17 speak of "IF we abide/ stay-steadfast / not-be-moved-away-from-Jesus". Verses like Heb3:12-13, 1Tim4:1, James1:12-14, Rev2:4-5, 2Pet1:10-11 speak of "losing/forgetting our belief"...

(BTW, what I just said about 2Pet2:20-22, also opposes "Eternal Security".)

:)

Upvote 0

rnmomof7

Legend
Feb 9, 2002
Western NY
✟78,744.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
suzie said:

Mine only LOOK longer because I space them for easier reading ..and the last one was mostly scripture .Is that a problem if we prove our position with the word of God?

One does not need to be a Calvinist to be saved..but if one chooses to be a Bible student one will come to Calvinism as it is clearly presented by the word of God.

Amen

Let me play devils advocate for a minute.

If You chose God ..How is it you can not "unchoose Him".

Did God remove the most precious gift that the arminians have (free will) did they become puppets then?

The more consistent position for an Arminian would be the Wesleyan doctrine of having the ability to loose your salvation.

Predestination and election are the doctrines of the reformation. Those that left the doctrines of Protestants did not want to loose the one thing they liked..the preservation of the saints.But the preservation of the saints only "works " if it is the end result of election .

To try to fit it into a I choose God , he does not choose me theology one has to believe He is keeping you against your "free will"

Ray and Ben are wrong..but they are consistent in their doctrine

Upvote 0

CCWoody

Voted best Semper Reformada signature ~ 2007
Mar 23, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟8,255.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
(Sunbeam) I beleive we are saved by our walk....

(Woody) Why do you not trust the Lord?

(Ben Johnson) Because of verses like....
Ben, I should point out that directly due to statements made on this thread like yours above, at least one person has made a positive confession to me privately that Calvinism really has to be the truth.

So, even though it injures my fleshy pride that people like you are better spokespersons for the truth of Calvinism than I, I must applaud the wonder of the Lord, who can make even a braying donkey an instrument of His mouth as he did with Balaam.

So, tonight, when I go home and raise my glass to the Lord, I will toast the Ben Johnsons and Sunbeams and Romanbears of this world. Though you think you are turning people away from the precious faith and gospel with the nickname of Calvinism, you are really driving people in.

Please continue to boast about how you don't trust the Lord. Me and the LORD are having a real good laugh over it. (Psalm 37:13)

Your friendly neighborhood Cordial Calvinist
Woody.

Upvote 0

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
OSAS is not correct rendering because it implies that one can say the sinners prayer and go on to live a life of debauchery.
No, that's only OSAS #1 (carnal, antinomianism). #2 is "CALVINISM", which believes that salvation is GOD'S CHOICE, so of COURSE it cannot be forfeited. #3 is "Eternal Security", which believes salvation is offered to ALL, and each is free to believe or not --- but once TRULY saved, he/she will be ALWAYS saved...
Because we are saved is why we walk .
The fruit does not give life to the tree, the tree gives life to the fruit
Very good. :)
And yet, "obligation to continue walking in Him" is plain in Scripture. It's not a qestion of "we are what we do", but rather "we do what we are"; I submit that NO one goes to Hell WHO BELIEVES IN IT; likewise, no one follows Jesus UNLESS THEY TRULY BELIEVE IN HIM. This then is the question --- can our belief ever be deceived to falling?
Ben you have never answered me..was anyone saved at the cross?
Do you think that soldier was not saved? Matt27:54
Now how does one "keep himself in the love of God? Is it by good works?
Not works; abiding, fellowship. Salvation is INDWELT by Christ; it is INDWELT by the Holy Spirit. John says "immersed" (which has nothing to do with water) in Mat3:11; but look at Eph5:18 proposes that FILLED WITH THE SPIRIT, is a continual CHOICE...
Jhn 1:13**
Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

That is who "received Him"..those not born of the WILL OF MAN
Right. Grace is ALL FROM HIM and NONE FROM US; when we choose to receive Jesus, we become BORN AGAIN --- Jn1:13 says that BORN-AGAIN-thing is NOT of us but ALL of Him. Vs13 does not contradict volition in receiving Christ; it states that when we receive the gift, our rebirth is NOT of us but OF GOD; as you have often said, if it was any of us, it would be "earned".

Upvote 0

CCWoody

Voted best Semper Reformada signature ~ 2007
Mar 23, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟8,255.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ben johnson said:
Calvinism says "God changes their hearts, BEFORE they seek Him, BEFORE they believe. Calvinism says "belief flows from the changed heart"; Calvinism says "ONLY belief can flow from the 'God-changed-heart' " and "ONLY UNBELIEF can flow from the UNCHANGED heart". Please explain the difference between this, and "forced/coercive".
I'd explain it, but it might be much more fun for the lurkers to see you attempt to justify scripturally how out of an unchanged evil heart proceed the fruits of righteousness. I'll award extra points if you can make statements which have already been denounced by more church synods & councils as being the Pelagian heresy than any other heresy ever denounced And, there will be a grand prize bonus for every single statement for which I can produce a cite from a council or synod denouncing that statement.

Whatdaya say?

Your friendly neighborhood Cordial Calvinist
Woody.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
Ben, I should point out that directly due to statements made on this thread like yours above, at least one person has made a positive confession to me privately that Calvinism really has to be the truth.
If they choose to believe you-Calvinists, over Jesus and Paul (see Post #1526), then that is not my concern; it is between themselves and Jesus.
Ray and Ben are wrong..but they are consistent in their doctrine
Show me how Ray and I are wrong; show me how the "never-saved" concept of 2Pet2:20-22 does not contradict Jesus and Paul (see post #1526). Explain to me how a "slave-to-sin" can ever be described as "escaped defilements of the world". Can you?

Upvote 0

Sunbeam

Aug 3, 2003
mid-atlantic area, usa
Visit site
✟550.00
Faith
Christian
Rn said the immediate below statement, Woody, I did not, as
you claim:
We have a mediator with the Father that is offering continual sacrifices for us
----

I categorically deny that statement and declare it to be a false way:
  • I hate all the ways of falsehood.
    (Psa 119:104 GB)
And, as the Psalter also says: Because Your statutes and testimonies are despised, therefore with overwhelming grief I weep.

Why is it that people hate the Lord so much that they ever delight to nail Him to the cross and crucify Him afresh every day?

Woody.
----
Doesn't Jesus intercede Himself for those who are saved though? Now where in the bible does it say this?
I disagree with the Catholic concept of Mass the recreates the suffering of Christ. Even if I agree that Jesus intercedes for us, I do not believe we recreate the suffering of Christ

Upvote 0

Sunbeam

Aug 3, 2003
mid-atlantic area, usa
Visit site
✟550.00
Faith
Christian

CC: Please continue to boast about how you don't trust the Lord. Me and the LORD are having a real good laugh over it. (Psalm 37:13

Sunbeam: I don't understand why you are acting like this. I have not said or inferred once that I don't trust the Lord. Why would you say this and laugh, and as you claim, with God? I don't say you don't trust the Lord and I would not say you are not a christian. I disagree with your position on this subject only.

Upvote 0

Sunbeam

Aug 3, 2003
mid-atlantic area, usa
Visit site
✟550.00
Faith
Christian
Sunbeam: I believe we are saved by our walk.....(of faith)

CC: Why do you not trust the Lord?

The scriptures teach us that Salvation is by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone to the glory of God alone. It is amazing that so many Christians think that they can ignore what the Holy Spirit taught the church for 2000 years and heap up for themselves private revelations about being saved by their own walk. Well, if I could claim salvation by my walk then I would certainly have a reason to boast in front of God and to all those retards who couldn't walk the walk.

Sunbeam: I believe salvation is by grace through faith alone, but my faith is acted out with repentance actions, or it should be and has to be. This is not something to boast about at all. I have to humble myself continually. I certainly don't feel prideful with that, pride is something to repent of.

We aren't saved by our status works, that is for sure. There are people that think that because they have given a lot of money to charity or earned the Nobel Peace prize or were highly ascetic and gifted, or held a respected political office that think that that means they are going to heaven. But the bible says we are going to be judged on our inner lives and motivation in our living, not our outer actions that seem successful. I tell you, you have these two things confused.

Upvote 0

Sunbeam

Aug 3, 2003
mid-atlantic area, usa
Visit site
✟550.00
Faith
Christian
(This post below is a double of 1539 however, I have spaced it once more for clarity to see who is speaking)

Sunbeam: I believe we are saved by our walk.....(of faith)

CC: Why do you not trust the Lord?

The scriptures teach us that Salvation is by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone to the glory of God alone. It is amazing that so many Christians think that they can ignore what the Holy Spirit taught the church for 2000 years and heap up for themselves private revelations about being saved by their own walk. Well, if I could claim salvation by my walk then I would certainly have a reason to boast in front of God and to all those retards who couldn't walk the walk.

Sunbeam: I believe salvation is by grace through faith alone, but my faith is acted out with repentance actions, or it should be and has to be. This is not something to boast about at all. I have to humble myself continually. I certainly don't feel prideful with that, pride is something to repent of.

We aren't saved by our status works, that is for sure. There are people that think that because they have given a lot of money to charity or earned the Nobel Peace prize or were highly ascetic and gifted, or held a respected political office that think that that means they are going to heaven. But the bible says we are going to be judged on our inner lives and motivation in our living, not our outer actions that seem successful. I tell you, you have these two things confused

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.