Can Christians Live a Holy Life?

• Yes (Christians can live holy by their own merits or power).

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes (Christians are changed to a point where they cannot help but to do so).

• No (Other explanation; Please explain)

• Maybe. It depends (Please explain).

• Total voters

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Can Christians live a holy life?

Note:

I am not asking this question because I doubt that a believer can live a holy life. I do believe that a believer can live holy by God's power (Thereby giving Him the glory); My question is asked so as to see what Christians today say about this kind of question.

Reactions: anna ~ grace

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Luke 1:
Zacharias’ Prophecy
67 Now his father Zacharias was filled with the Holy Spirit, and prophesied, saying:
68 Blessed is the Lord God of Israel,
For He has visited and redeemed His people,
69 And has raised up a horn of salvation for us
In the house of His servant David,
70 As He spoke by the mouth of His holy prophets,
Who have been since the world began,
71 That we should be saved from our enemies
And from the hand of all who hate us,
72 To perform the mercy promised to our fathers
And to remember His holy covenant,
73 The oath which He swore to our father Abraham:
74 To grant us that we,
Being delivered from the hand of our enemies,
Might serve Him without fear,
75 In holiness and righteousness before Him all the days of our life.
And you, child, will be called the prophet of the Highest;
For you will go before the face of the Lord to prepare His ways,
77 To give knowledge of salvation to His people
By the remission of their sins,

78 Through the tender mercy of our God,
With which the Dayspring from on high has visited us;
79 To give light to those who sit in darkness and the shadow of death,
To guide our feet into the way of peace.

Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

Note:

I am not asking this question because I doubt that a believer can live a holy life. I do believe that a believer can live holy by God's power (Thereby giving Him the glory); My question is asked so as to see what Christians today say about this kind of question.

Can you describe what a "holy life" consists of? Exactly what is a holy life?

Is it reaching a point of no more sin in ones life? What according to scripture is "living a holy life?

Maybe we can begin a conversation if we understand what this means to you.

• Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Thomas White

Feb 9, 2020
Stockbridge
✟79,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married

Note:

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Can you describe what a "holy life" consists of?

Jesus said:

29 “Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:
30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.” (Mark 12:29-31).

Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. (Mark 16:15).

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you:” (Matthew 28:19-20).

34 “Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.” (Matthew 25:34-40).

Paul said:

8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.”
(Romans 13:8-10).

John said:

“In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.” (1 John 3:10).

Peter said:
Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee.

Jesus saith unto him,
Feed my sheep. (John 21:17).

James said:

“Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.” (James 1:27).

John said:

“Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.” (1 John 2:15).

Jesus said:

“For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:”
(Matthew 6:15).

35 A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.
36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.” (Matthew 12:37).

Paul said:

“Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.” (2 Timothy 4:2).

“And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them” (Ephesians 5:11).

You said:
Exactly what is a holy life?

“Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.” (2 Corinthians 7:1).

“Be ye holy; for I am holy.” (1 Peter 1:16).

“He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.” (1 John 2:6).

Is it reaching a point of no more sin in ones life?

Peter said:

“Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin; That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God.” (1 Peter 4:1-2).

Paul said:

“And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.” (Galatians 5:24).

“But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.” (Romans 13:14).

James says:

“Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.” (James 1:12).

Jesus said:

“go, and sin no more.” (John 8:11).

Jesus said:

“sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.” (John 5:14).

Jesus said:

“whoever commits sin is a slave of sin.” (John 8:34).

Jesus said:

“And a slave does not abide in the house forever,” (John 8:34).

What does Jesus mean that a slave or servant (who sins) does not abide in the house forever?

41 “The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;
42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.”
(Matthew 13:41-42).

In other words, this passage is saying that the Son of Man (JESUS) will send forth His angels and they will gather out of HIS KINGDOM all things that offend (i.e. anything that makes a person to stumble into sin) and them which do iniquity (sin) and they will be cast into the furnace of fire (i.e. the Lake of Fire) where there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. To put it to you another way, believers can be in HIS KINGDOM but they can later be cast out and thrown into the fire for destruction if they justify sin or a belief that leads people to do so.

You said:
What according to scripture is "living a holy life?

See the first set of verses I have given to you within this post.

You said:
Maybe we can begin a conversation if we understand what this means to you.

The Bible is not the kind of book that says, “what does this mean to me?”
It means what it says. If we do not receive the words of Jesus, those words will judge us on the last day.

Jesus said:

He that... receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.” (John 12:48).

What words of Jesus can a person not receive that will judge them on the last day?

28 “But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
30 And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.”
(Matthew 5:28-30).

19 “Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.” (Matthew 6:19-21).

“It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.” (Matthew 19:24).

I hope these verses help;
And may God's love shine upon you today.

• Agree
Reactions: chad kincham
Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Jesus said:

29 “Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:
30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.” (Mark 12:29-31).

Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. (Mark 16:15).

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you:” (Matthew 28:19-20).

34 “Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.” (Matthew 25:34-40).

Paul said:

8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.”
(Romans 13:8-10).

John said:

“In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.” (1 John 3:10).

Peter said:
Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee.

Jesus saith unto him,
Feed my sheep. (John 21:17).

James said:

“Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.” (James 1:27).

John said:

“Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.” (1 John 2:15).

Jesus said:

“For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:”
(Matthew 6:15).

35 A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.
36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.” (Matthew 12:37).

Paul said:

“Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.” (2 Timothy 4:2).

“And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them” (Ephesians 5:11).

“Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.” (2 Corinthians 7:1).

“Be ye holy; for I am holy.” (1 Peter 1:16).

“He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.” (1 John 2:6).

Peter said:

“Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin; That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God.” (1 Peter 4:1-2).

Paul said:

“And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.” (Galatians 5:24).

“But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.” (Romans 13:14).

James says:

“Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.” (James 1:12).

Jesus said:

“go, and sin no more.” (John 8:11).

Jesus said:

“sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.” (John 5:14).

Jesus said:

“whoever commits sin is a slave of sin.” (John 8:34).

Jesus said:

“And a slave does not abide in the house forever,” (John 8:34).

What does Jesus mean that a slave or servant (who sins) does not abide in the house forever?

41 “The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;
42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.”
(Matthew 13:41-42).

In other words, this passage is saying that the Son of Man (JESUS) will send forth His angels and they will gather out of HIS KINGDOM all things that offend (i.e. anything that makes a person to stumble into sin) and them which do iniquity (sin) and they will be cast into the furnace of fire (i.e. the Lake of Fire) where there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. To put it to you another way, believers can be in HIS KINGDOM but they can later be cast out and thrown into the fire for destruction if they justify sin or a belief that leads people to do so.

See the first set of verses I have given to you within this post.

The Bible is not the kind of book that says, “what does this mean to me?”
It means what it says. If we do not receive the words of Jesus, those words will judge us on the last day.

Jesus said:

He that... receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.” (John 12:48).

What words of Jesus can a person not receive that will judge them on the last day?

28 “But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
30 And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.”
(Matthew 5:28-30).

19 “Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.” (Matthew 6:19-21).

“It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.” (Matthew 19:24).

I hope these verses help;
And may God's love shine upon you today.

I'm sorry BH, but nothing in your post explains "holy living" or how we can gain it, or what it is. I know that sounds rude but I know of no other way to state it.

God said, be holy because I am holy. God is holy because He is righteous. The same goes for us.

Paul said that all our righteousness is as filthy rags. So how does God expect us to be holy when we have no righteousness?

The righteousness is a free gift to all who place faith in Christ. We are not righteous because of what we can do, or what we will do, we are righteous because of our faith which makes us holy., acceptable in the sight of God.

The Holy Spirit is bound by Gods Law. He cannot work and bring about holiness in us if we do not express faith in Christ. Holiness and righteousness work hand in hand.

The scripture does NOT say that Abraham OBEYED God and it was accounted unto him for righteousness.

It says that Abraham BELIEVED God and it was accounted to him for righteousness.

It was Abrahams faith that made him righteous, his obeying was proof of his righteousness.

Abraham was far from perfect but he lived a "holy life" by faith that God would keep His promise.

Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm sorry BH, but nothing in your post explains "holy living" or how we can gain it, or what it is. I know that sounds rude but I know of no other way to state it.

God said, be holy because I am holy. God is holy because He is righteous. The same goes for us.

Paul said that all our righteousness is as filthy rags. So how does God expect us to be holy when we have no righteousness?

The righteousness is a free gift to all who place faith in Christ. We are not righteous because of what we can do, or what we will do, we are righteous because of our faith which makes us holy., acceptable in the sight of God.

The Holy Spirit is bound by Gods Law. He cannot work and bring about holiness in us if we do not express faith in Christ. Holiness and righteousness work hand in hand.

The scripture does NOT say that Abraham OBEYED God and it was accounted unto him for righteousness.

It says that Abraham BELIEVED God and it was accounted to him for righteousness.

It was Abrahams faith that made him righteous, his obeying was proof of his righteousness.

Abraham was far from perfect but he lived a "holy life" by faith that God would keep His promise.
Hebrews 11:
8 By faith Abraham obeyed
when he was called to go out to the place which he would receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going.
9 By faith he abided in the land of promise as in a foreign country, dwelling in tents with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise...
13 These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off were
assured of them, embraced them and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims..
1 Peter 2:
Beloved, I beg you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts which war
against the soul,
12 having your conduct honorable among the Gentiles, that when they speak against you as evildoers, they may, by your good works which they observe, glorify God in the day of visitation.

Genesis 12:1. Now the Lord had said to Abram: Get out of your country,
from your family and from your father’s house, to a land that I will show you.
Matthew 10:
He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son
or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me.

38 And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me.
39 He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it.
Luke 9:62. But Jesus said to him, No one, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back,
is fit for the kingdom of God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Dear Charlie:

Please take no offense, but I must speak the truth in love. I believe that your belief here is neither moral and neither is it biblical. How so? Well...

#1. You did not address any of the verses that I posted (Which means you do not know how to properly explain them in context). Why? Because your belief does not line up with the verses I presented. Clearly I presented verses on holy conduct. Any person without a biased belief will be able to clearly see that is what these verses say.

#2. Your belief does not line up with the narrow way that Jesus talks about. You want the narrow way to be the giant crowd of Protestantism that justifies a sin and still be saved gospel. There are between 800 million to 1 billion Protestants in the world. Most of them believe that one can sin and still be saved (on some level) because they have a belief alone on Jesus. If you were to read the context of Matthew 7:14 that talks about the narrow way, it does not refer to religions like the Buddha religion, or other non-Christian religions. While non-Christian religions are on the widegate path, the context suggests that the wide gate path also includes professing believers, too. For Jesus casts out believers who did good works in His name but yet they also worked sin or iniquity. So the way is more narrow than you think.

#3. In order for a sin and still be saved type gospel to work: God would have to agree with a believer's thinking that they can sin and still be saved. This means God can be in agreement with sin. Sure, you say that God paid for these sins at the cross, but it does not undo the immorality of God agreeing in the moment for these sins. Sure, you may say that there is chastisement for the believer, but even unbelievers go through the same challenges as a believer does. So chastisement is not an effective deterrent. In the popular world of Christianity: God can still save a person if they die in their sins, which means God must agree with sin in order to save them with thinking they can sin and still be saved (Which is not moral or good).

You said:

You are ripping 1 Peter 1:16 out of context to support a belief that is not true.
The context talks about holy conduct and it does not refer to Belief Alone-ism.

14 “As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance:
15 But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;
16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.” (1 Peter 1:14-16).​

Peter in context refers to not fashioning ourselves to the former lusts (sin) and Peter mentions how we must be holy in all manner of conversation. This is the context of 1 Peter 1:16 when Peter quotes about how we are to be holy in conduct for God is holy in conduct.

You said:

Then why did you not vote in the poll in saying.... “no”?

Anyways, this was a quote by Isaiah and not Paul.

Paul never mentioned that our righteousness is as filthy rags.

The quote is from Isaiah 64:6.
Let's read it in context.

6 “But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.
7 And there is none that calleth upon thy name, that stirreth up himself to take hold of thee: for thou hast hid thy face from us, and hast consumed us, because of our iniquities.”
(Isaiah 64:6-7).

If you were to notice in verse 7 it says that they were consumed because of their iniquities. This means that the Israelites' righteousness that they were doing that was filthy rags was their own man made traditions and it was not in reference to their obedience to God and His good ways. For we learn in the New Testament that Jesus condemned the Pharisees because of their man made traditions.

You said:

God's grace is a free gift. This is the 1st aspect of salvation. It is being saved by God's mercy and grace (Which is a process of salvation without the deeds of the Law). But that does not negate the 2nd aspect of salvation taught in the Bible (Which is Sanctification or holy living by God's power). For....

After we are saved by God's grace,
God’s works (done through us) are also required as a part of the Salvation Process:

(Here are a List of Verses):

#1. “Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only." (James 2:24).

#2. "Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.” (James 2:17-18).

#3. "They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate." (Titus 1:16).

#4. "If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; He is proud, knowing nothing," (1 Timothy 6:3-4).

Supplemental verse:

"...God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble." (James 4:6).​

#5. "And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him." (Hebrews 5:9).

#6. "Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord" (Hebrews 12:14).

#7. “...God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth” (2 Thessalonians 2:13).

Supplemental verses:

(a) “That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.” (2 Thessalonians 2:12).

(b) “...and hath given us everlasting consolation and good hope through grace, Comfort your hearts, and establish you in every good word and work.” (2 Thessalonians 2:16-17).​

#8. “There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.” (Romans 8:1).

Supplemental verse:

“For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.” (Romans 8:13).​

#9. "If any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema [accursed] Maranatha."(1 Corinthians 16:22).

Supplemental verses:

(a) "If ye love me, keep my commandments." (John 14:15).

(b) “If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.” (John 15:10).​

#10. ”And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life? He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou? And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself. And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.” (Luke 10:25-28).

#11. “...if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.” (Matthew 19:17-19).

#12. "And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me." (Matthew 10:38). ”If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it. For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? (Matthew 16:24-26).

#13. "...No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God." (Luke 9:62) (cf. Luke 8:11-15, 1 Corinthians 4:15).

#14. "But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath, Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile; But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile: For there is no respect of persons with God." (Romans 2:8-11).

Supplemental verses:

(a) "Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls." (James 1:21).

(b) “Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.” (James 1:12).

(c) "For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved." (John 3:20).​

#15. “And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.” (John 5:29).

#16. ”And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.” (Revelation 22:12-15).

#17. “For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee. Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.” (Romans 11:21-22).

#18. “Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.” (Philippians 2:12-13).

#19. ”Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.” (Matthew 25:34-40).
“Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.” (Matthew 25:41-46).

#20. ”His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.” (Matthew 25:21).
”And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.” (Matthew 25:30).

#21. “In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.” (1 John 3:10).

#22. “He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God” (John 8:47).

#23. “But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.” (1 John 1:7) (cf. 1 John 2:9-11).

#24. “For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 5:20).

#25. “Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock. And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.” (Matthew 7:24-27).

#26. “Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.” (Matthew 7:21).

Supplementary verse:

“For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication” (1 Thessalonians 4:3).​

#27. “And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet [Jesus], shall be destroyed from among the people.” (Acts of the Apostles 3:23).

#28. “I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.’ (John 15:5-6).

Supplementary verses:

(a) “Bring forth therefore fruits befitting for repentance” (Matthew 3:8).

(b) “And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.” (Matthew 3:10).​

#29. “And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear? Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls to him in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator.” (1 Peter 4:18-19).

#30. “For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.” (Galatians 6:8-9).

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

A moment ago you said that we cannot live holy.
I believe that we can only live holy if we first are saved by God's grace, and then God works in a person to help them to live a holy life. But in your belief, a person can sin and still be saved (Which runs contrary to holy living).

You said:
The scripture does NOT say that Abraham OBEYED God and it was accounted unto him for righteousness.It says that Abraham BELIEVED God and it was accounted to him for righteousness.

Hebrews 5:9 essentially says that Jesus is the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him.

Anyways, in Romans 4: Paul was making a point about being saved by the 1st aspect of salvation (Being saved by God's grace) because he was dealing with the heresy of Circumcision Salvationism. For else would Paul say the following in the previous chapter?

“What advantage then hath the Jew? or what profit is there of circumcision?” (Romans 3:1).

Paul was not negating the necessity of holy living as a part of salvation. In Romans 8:13 he says,

“For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.” (Romans 8:13).

You said:

Nobody is suggesting that one must be perfect in order to be saved. But one does have to overcome mortal sin in this life and one cannot justify a gospel that can lead others to turn God's grace into a license for immorality in any way. For if I tell a child they are saved by believing on the finished work of Christ and not in the way they live, and I never see them again, then they could turn out to be the next George Sodini who killed a bunch of people and then took his own life. Anyways, you are not taking into account the whole counsel of God's Word. For it is written:

21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?”
(James 2:21-22).

“Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.”
(James 2:24).

• Agree
Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Dear Charlie:

Please take no offense, but I must speak the truth in love. I believe that your belief here is neither moral and neither is it biblical. How so? Well...

#1. You did not address any of the verses that I posted (Which means you do not know how to properly explain them in context). Why? Because your belief does not line up with the verses I presented. Clearly I presented verses on holy conduct. Any person without a biased belief will be able to clearly see that is what these verses say.

#2. Your belief does not line up with the narrow way that Jesus talks about. You want the narrow way to be the giant crowd of Protestantism that justifies a sin and still be saved gospel. There are between 800 million to 1 billion Protestants in the world. Most of them believe that one can sin and still be saved (on some level) because they have a belief alone on Jesus. If you were to read the context of Matthew 7:14 that talks about the narrow way, it does not refer to religions like the Buddha religion, or other non-Christian religions. Jesus casts out believers who did good works in His name but yet they also worked sin or iniquity. So the way is more narrow than you think.

#3. In order for a sin and still be saved type gospel to work: God would have to agree with a believer's thinking that they can sin and still be saved. This means God can be in agreement with sin. Sure, you say that God paid for these sins at the cross, but it does not undo the immorality of God agreeing in the moment for these sins. Sure, you may say that there is chastisement for the believer, but even unbelievers go through the same challenges as a believer does. So chastisement is not an effective deterrent. God can still save a person if they die in their sins, which means God must agree with sin in order to save them with thinking they can sin and still be saved (Which is not moral or good).

You are ripping 1 Peter 1:16 out of context to support a belief that is not true.
The context talks about holy conduct and it does not refer to Belief Alone-ism.

14 “As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance:
15 But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;
16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.” (1 Peter 1:14-16).​

Peter in context refers to not fashioning ourselves to the former lusts (sin) and Peter mentions how we must be holy in all manner of conversation. This is the context of 1 Peter 1:16 when Peter quotes about how we are to be holy in conduct for God is holy in conduct.

Then why did you not vote in the poll in saying.... “no”?

Anyways, this was a quote by Isaiah and not Paul.

Paul never mentioned the words our righteousness is as filthy rags.

The quote is from Isaiah 64:6.
Let's read it in context.

6 “But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.
7 And there is none that calleth upon thy name, that stirreth up himself to take hold of thee: for thou hast hid thy face from us, and hast consumed us, because of our iniquities.”
(Isaiah 64:6-7).

If you were to notice in verse 7 it says that they were consumed because of their iniquities. This means that the righteousness that they were doing that was filthy rags was their own man made traditions and it was not in reference to their obedience to God and His good ways.

God's grace is a free gift. This is the 1st aspect of salvation. It is being saved by God's mercy and grace (Which is a process of salvation without the deeds of the Law). But that does not negate the 2nd aspect of salvation taught in the Bible (Which is Sanctification or holy living by God's power). For....

After we are saved by God's grace,
God’s works (done through us) are also required as a part of the Salvation Process:

(Here are a List of Verses):

#1. “Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only." (James 2:24).

#2. "Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.” (James 2:17-18).

#3. "They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate." (Titus 1:16).

#4. "If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; He is proud, knowing nothing," (1 Timothy 6:3-4).

Supplemental verse:

"...God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble." (James 4:6).​

#5. "And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him." (Hebrews 5:9).

#6. "Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord" (Hebrews 12:14).

#7. “...God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth” (2 Thessalonians 2:13).

Supplemental verses:

(a) “That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.” (2 Thessalonians 2:12).

(b) “...and hath given us everlasting consolation and good hope through grace, Comfort your hearts, and establish you in every good word and work.” (2 Thessalonians 2:16-17).​

#8. “There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.” (Romans 8:1).

Supplemental verse:

“For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.” (Romans 8:13).​

#9. "If any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema [accursed] Maranatha."(1 Corinthians 16:22).

Supplemental verses:

(a) "If ye love me, keep my commandments." (John 14:15).

(b) “If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.” (John 15:10).​

#10. ”And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life? He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou? And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself. And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.” (Luke 10:25-28).

#11. “...if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.” (Matthew 19:17-19).

#12. "And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me." (Matthew 10:38). ”If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it. For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? (Matthew 16:24-26).

#13. "...No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God." (Luke 9:62) (cf. Luke 8:11-15, 1 Corinthians 4:15).

#14. "But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath, Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile; But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile: For there is no respect of persons with God." (Romans 2:8-11).

Supplemental verses:

(a) "Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls." (James 1:21).

(b) “Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.” (James 1:12).

(c) "For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved." (John 3:20).​

#15. “And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.” (John 5:29).

#16. ”And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.” (Revelation 22:12-15).

#17. “For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee. Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.” (Romans 11:21-22).

#18. “Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.” (Philippians 2:12-13).

#19. ”Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.” (Matthew 25:34-40).
“Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.” (Matthew 25:41-46).

#20. ”His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.” (Matthew 25:21).
”And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.” (Matthew 25:30).

#21. “In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.” (1 John 3:10).

#22. “He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God” (John 8:47).

#23. “But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.” (1 John 1:7) (cf. 1 John 2:9-11).

#24. “For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 5:20).

#25. “Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock. And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.” (Matthew 7:24-27).

#26. “Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.” (Matthew 7:21).

Supplementary verse:

“For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication” (1 Thessalonians 4:3).​

#27. “And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet [Jesus], shall be destroyed from among the people.” (Acts of the Apostles 3:23).

#28. “I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.’ (John 15:5-6).

Supplementary verses:

(a) “Bring forth therefore fruits befitting for repentance” (Matthew 3:8).

(b) “And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.” (Matthew 3:10).​

#29. “And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear? Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls to him in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator.” (1 Peter 4:18-19).

#30. “For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.” (Galatians 6:8-9).

There you go BH, sending me a question and answer book to read in deflection.

It's impossible for you to take one point and discuss it. You have to throw an awn slaw at anyone who defies your theology.

Well, I'm not having it my friend. You take one point at a time or nothing!

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There you go BH, sending me a question and answer book to read in deflection.

It's impossible for you to take one point and discuss it. You have to throw an awn slaw at anyone who defies your theology.

Well, I'm not having it my friend. You take one point at a time or nothing!

You can address my posts in bite sized pieces (or multiple posts) over a longer period of time. Take your time. Is not the truth worth defending?

At least address one part of my posts.

Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
You can address my posts in bite sized pieces (or multiple posts) over a longer period of time. Take your time. Is not the truth worth defending?

At least address one part of my posts.

Yes, the truth is worth defending but not the way you are doing it.

We both know the scripture quite well, there is no need for all these verses to be quoted.

If there is a particular verse you want to stress, then let's address that one verse in detail and not 25 of them.

I will let you begin with one point you would like to make that proves your position, then I will address that point or scripture and only that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes !

Matthew 5:48
Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

1 Peter 1:15-16
but like the Holy One who called you, be holy yourselves also in all your behavior; 16 because it is written, “You shall be holy, for I am holy.”

2 Corinthians 7:1
Therefore, beloved, since we have these promises, let us cleanse ourselves from everything that defiles body and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

1 Thessalonians 4:7
For God has not called us to impurity, but to holiness.

1 John 3:3
And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as Christ is pure.

hope this helps !!!

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, the truth is worth defending but not the way you are doing it.

We both know the scripture quite well, there is no need for all these verses to be quoted.

If there is a particular verse you want to stress, then let's address that one verse in detail and not 25 of them.

I will let you begin with one point you would like to make that proves your position, then I will address that point or scripture and only that.

2 Corinthians 7:1 is a good place to start. Please provide your own word for word commentary on this verse using your own words. Please support your commentary using the context and or cross references.

“...let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.” (2 Corinthians 7:1) (KJB).

Not sure how a believer can twist this above verse to say that a believer can sin and still be saved. We are to cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh. It does not say to cleanse ourselves from some filthiness of the flesh, but all. It also says we are to perfect holiness in the fear of God. Why fear God if we are saved? We are to perfect holiness. You don't think holy living is possible in regards to conduct? Just read and believe 2 Corinthians 7:1.

Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
2 Corinthians 7:1 is a good place to start. Please provide your own word for word commentary on this verse using your own words. Please support your commentary using the context and or cross references.

“...let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.” (2 Corinthians 7:1) (KJB).

Not sure how a believer can twist this above verse to say that a believer can sin and still be saved. We are to cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh. It does not say to cleanse ourselves from some filthiness of the flesh, but all. It also says we are to perfect holiness in the fear of God. Why fear God if we are saved? We are to perfect holiness. You don't think holy living is possible in regards to conduct? Just read and believe 2 Corinthians 7:1.

I'm sure you are familiar with 1John 2:1-2.

If a man sins we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the Righteous, and He is the satisfaction for our sins....

We can't lose our salvation when we sin. Jesus is the intercession for our sin to the Father.

When we sin the Accuser, Satan, says look what Charlie just did, you call that a Christian, Jesus who is sitting at the right hand of the Father, says, Charlie is mine by faith. God overrules Satan!

This is where a license to sin comes in the picture for many, and rightly so. It is an obvious concern. It was a concern for Paul.
Paul says in Rom. 6:1, shall we continue to sin that grace may abound? He answers, no, let not this thing happen.

Just because grace is greater than sin does not give us a license to sin. God will chastise the child who takes this approach to His grace. Heb. 12:6-7

Our salvation is not based on performance, it is based on faith. The only thing that can take our salvation is when we cease to trust in Christ.

"cleansing ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit" is done by walking in the Spirit, it is NOT referring to sinless perfection, that is impossible for man to do.

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My answer is Other, which is a YES, with no “but”.

Hebrews 12:14
Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see Yahweh.

Is the writer telling us to do something we can’t do? The answer is no, they are not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm sure you are familiar with 1John 2:1-2.

If a man sins we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the Righteous, and He is the satisfaction for our sins....

We can't lose our salvation when we sin. Jesus is the intercession for our sin to the Father.

When we sin the Accuser, Satan, says look what Charlie just did, you call that a Christian, Jesus who is sitting at the right hand of the Father, says, Charlie is mine by faith. God overrules Satan!

This is where a license to sin comes in the picture for many, and rightly so. It is an obvious concern. It was a concern for Paul.
Paul says in Rom. 6:1, shall we continue to sin that grace may abound? He answers, no, let not this thing happen.

Just because grace is greater than sin does not give us a license to sin. God will chastise the child who takes this approach to His grace. Heb. 12:6-7

Our salvation is not based on performance, it is based on faith. The only thing that can take our salvation is when we cease to trust in Christ.

"cleansing ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit" is done by walking in the Spirit, it is NOT referring to sinless perfection, that is impossible for man to do.

Notice how you did not address 2 Corinthians 7:1. You just jumped into those verses you think defend your view of Soteriology.

Anyways, 1 John 2:1-2 is in view of confessing of sin to be forgiven of sin. For 1 John 1:9 says if we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. Charlie, do you believe you can be cleansed from all unrighteousness? 1 John 1:9 teaches that. That is what confession is for. Also, how can you be forgiven or saved if the condtion is to confess of sin in order to be forgiven of sin? 1 John 1:9 says to confess and we will be forgiven. It does not say we are just forgiven by having a belief alone on Jesus.

1 John 1:7 also essentially says if we walk in the light as He is in the light, the blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin. Most Christians believe the blood of Christ saves us. Now, according to 1 John 1:7, the condition of the blood of Jesus cleansing us if we walk in the light. Walking in the light is loving your brother according to the use of indirect words in 1 John 2:9-11.

Plus, 1 John 2:1 tells us to “sin not.” So John is not advocating the idea that we must always commit mortal sin or that committing mortal sin is inevitable.

As for Romans 6:1: Not sure you understand this verse. Paul is saying that grace will not abound if we continue in sin. For Paul answers the question with, “God forbid” and he says in Romans 8:1 says that there is no condemnation to those in Christ Jesus who walk not after the flesh but after the Spirit. The works of the flesh is sin according to Galatians 5:19-21. So Romans 8:1 is implying that there is condemnation if one walks after the flesh (i.e. sin).

As for chastisement: Chastisement is only for those who are faithful to Christ and or those who are not seeking to justify sin in some way. For the goal of chastisement is to correct the wrong behavior. For example: A master chastises or corrects his dog on pooping on the carpet with the intended goal that the animal will stop the wrong behavior. Most Eternal Security folk I talked with say they cannot stop sinning this side of Heaven. So chastisement does not make a lick of sense in light of their belief. God is punishing them for no real good reason. It would be like a master who kicks his dog knowing it has an uncontrollable pooping problem because it is sick.

As for salvation being based on performance:

Ever read Hebrews 5:9 before?
What about the Parable of the Talents?
Did not the servant who was faithful over a few things was told to enter the joy of His Lord? Was not the unprofitable servant cast into outer darkness?
(See: Matthew 25:21, and Matthew 25:30).

Upvote 0