Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
So let's throw the bible away since the culture has changed?
No, we recognise that we don't live it the near east 2000 years ago. Therefore we interpret the NT accordingly.
It's the total opposite of throwing the Bible away, it is taking the Bible very seriously indeed. Not flippantly projecting our own culture upon it.
It's called hermeneutics, I'm sure you've heard of it.

Upvote 0

Cnnsdc63

Dec 27, 2018
Pennsylvanis
✟13,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If Christ forgave you, you will forgive others. If you don't it's probable that your faith is in vain.

Christ did forgive me. Past,present and future. If we are as perfect as Christ, would we need him? Before the law came along, Abraham gave his wife away. Not only did he get her back, he got wealthy over it. Now that we are no longer under law but grace, often referred to as “Abraham’s blessing “ I tend not to judge people or preach self righteousness. As far as faith being in vain, I would say my faith is in Jesus Christ, not in myself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟895,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The easy answer: no.
so If I am married ( which I am not), but if someone is married and they are being abused they have to stay in the marriage? I think not.

• Agree
Reactions: Celticroots
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
so If I am married ( which I am not), but if someone is married and they are being abused they have to stay in the marriage? I think not.

Have you heard of separation? Divorce won't make the situation any better.

My grandparents could not stand each other, but instead of opting to the fault of divorce, they lived separated in different houses, but remained married.

Upvote 0

Celticroots

Jun 2, 2012
✟72,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

My grandparents could not stand each other, but instead of opting to the fault of divorce, they lived separated in different houses, but remained married.

Divorce won't make the situation better? Yes it will. It will prevent someone from winding up dead.

Two people who don't get along and one spouse bashing the other's face in every night after work are not remotely comparable.

Upvote 0

nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single

Not all states have legal separation. So, financially, there is no real protection for either spouse.

At lesser with subject there is protection.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Divorce won't make the situation better? Yes it will. It will prevent someone from winding up dead.

Two people who don't get along and one spouse bashing the other's face in every night after work are not remotely comparable.

They remain married regardless of a divorce contract.

• Agree
Reactions: Cnnsdc63
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ericastewart

Nov 19, 2018
Lakeland
✟9,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let me give you some verses for clearity
New International Version
But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, makes her the victim of adultery, and anyone who marries a divorced woman commits adultery. Matthew 5:32

1 Corinthians 7:15
But if the unbelieving partner separates, let it be so. In such cases the brother or sister is not enslaved. God has called you to peace.

1 Corinthians 7:10-11
To the married I give this charge (not I, but the Lord): the wife should not separate from her husband (but if she does, she should remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband), and the husband should not divorce his wife.

Mark 10:11
And he said to them, “Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery against her,
Side note: If you remarry the person who remarry and their spouse have both committed adultery against you and the wrath of God will be upon them.

1 Corinthians 7:39
A wife is bound to her husband as long as he lives. But if her husband dies, she is free to be married to whom she wishes, only in the Lord.

Matthew 5:31-32 ESV / 73 helpful votes
“It was also said, ‘Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce.’ But I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except on the ground of sexual immorality, makes her commit adultery, and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

Deuteronomy 24:1-4 ESV / 53 helpful votes
“When a man takes a wife and marries her, if then she finds no favor in his eyes because he has found some indecency in her, and he writes her a certificate of divorce and puts it in her hand and sends her out of his house, and she departs out of his house, and if she goes and becomes another man's wife, and the latter man hates her and writes her a certificate of divorce and puts it in her hand and sends her out of his house, or if the latter man dies, who took her to be his wife, then her former husband, who sent her away, may not take her again to be his wife, after she has been defiled, for that is an abomination before the Lord. And you shall not bring sin upon the land that the Lord your God is giving you for an inheritance.

Upvote 0

ericastewart

Nov 19, 2018
Lakeland
✟9,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The answer is yes you can get divorced but you cannot remarry until your husband is dead unless its due to sexual immortality. If you remarry you have caused yourself and your new spouse to commit adultery and that is setting yourselves up for Gods wrath. You may get divorced even though God hates divorce if you want to escape a marriage where the bed was not betrayed but you just cant remarry till your former husband dies and him aswell.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I volunteer at a women's refuge. At the office we are occasionally confronted by men insisting that the woman who divorced and left him is still his wife and demanding access to her - this despite already repeatedly assaulting his ex.

It may be some people's opinion that God's law takes precedence and that thus the woman is still married and should be obeying her husband and leaving the refuge.

I say - You are divorced and if your husband tries to put one toe on this property we are having him thrown in jail. I say - if you choose to remarry go ahead regardless of what your ex demands on the matter.... you've put up with enough misery already.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No you must obey the Laws of God before the laws of man Wifes should submit to their husbands as they do the Lord. So if whatever their telling you is something the Lord would not tell you to do you don't have to follow it. You submit to your husbands as long as what he is telling you is not offensive to God.
You don't have to be married you can be divorced if you are abused. God hates divorce but he does allow it.The only rule is you can be remarried if they commited sexual immorality. & come on now if a man disrespects his wife to the point of sexual abuse any type of abuse then he dosent have the fear of God in his heart to not cheat. and the last thing is if their was no sexual immorality then she can be divorced just not remarried until he dies. So every woman has the right under the law of God to be freed from marriage as long as they dont commit adultry by remarrying if their last marriage was not ended due to sexual immorality
I dont accept that. And unfortunately there are some men who take what you say to a limit Australian law does not accept... Nor I for that matter. That is - where men continue to harass women after divorce, sprouting biblical verses that these women are still their wives and must obey.

These men are using the biblical laws you cite, but as far as I am concerned they need to be thrown in jail.

• Winner
Upvote 0

ericastewart

Nov 19, 2018
Lakeland
✟9,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I thought you said divorce was always a sin?
You should not divorce if you divorce for any other reason than sexual immorality. Divorce it self is a sin. But the thing is you can divorce but the consequences for doing so are you cannot remarry unless your spouse A. committed sexual immorality or died. So you can't lust, have sex with another, nor remarry unless that has tooken place.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
You should not divorce if you divorce for any other reason than sexual immorality. Divorce it self is a sin. But the thing is you can divorce but the consequences for doing so are you cannot remarry unless your spouse A. committed sexual immorality or died. So you can't lust, have sex with another, nor remarry unless that has tooken place.
Nonsense - If you are in a bad scenario with a husband - DIVORCE him. This is critical not just for physical and relationship reasons, but for child custody, property and financial reasons. Access to divorce is critical.

As to remarrying - Thats permissible under law and I doubt very much God would stand in judgement and say - How terrible that you have sought out a loving relationship.

• Agree
Upvote 0

ericastewart

Nov 19, 2018
Lakeland
✟9,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well when it comes to remarrying that what the word of God says. Unless I rip out those verses thats whats put in the Holy book. Matthew 5:32 But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, makes her the victim of adultery, and anyone who marries a divorced woman commits adultery. Me speaking now:You may live in peace and be divorced but you just can't remarry without commiting adultery. Unless your spouse committed it during your marriage. & again or they have died. Next verse: A woman is bound to her husband as long as he lives. But if her husband dies, she is free to marry anyone she wishes, but he must belong to the Lord. 1 corinthians 7:39

Upvote 0